Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:36 PM.
Loveland, CO
2,069 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
I printed out my boarding pass at the 70 day mark just to make the cruise more real! Grin. I noted it was entitled,
"ETICKET PREFERRED BOARDING PASS."

Decided to check it out again for the fun of it and now it is entitled, "ETICKET PRIORITY BOARDING PASS."

Is there a difference between preferred and priority; and if so, what is the difference? Thanks.

Pooh
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regal Princess - 24 Night Northern Europe Grand Adventure, 08/2019
Disney Fantasy - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean with Family!, 05/2019
Grand Princess - 10 Night Mexican Riviera, 03/2019 (WS!)
Royal Prncess - 19 Night Maple Explorer Tour 2B, 10/2018
Royal Princess - 10 Nt. Southern Caribbean Medley, 03/2018
Ruby Princess - Alaska Inside Passage, 09/2016
RCCL Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean, 04/2016
Star Princess - Hawaiian Cruise, 04/2015

HAL Maasdam - Southern Caribbean, 03/11
Coral Princess(Grand Canal)- 02/10
HAL Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean - 11/08
Coral Princess- Panama- 10/07
Caribbean Princess - Eastern - 02/07
Brilliance of the Seas - Med.(Venice) - 09/06
Celebrity Summit - Ultimate Southern - 04/05
HAL Zuiderdam - Western Caribbean - 05/04
HAL Rotterdam - Panama Canal - 10/03
Sea Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/00
MS Niew Amsterdam - Alaska - 06/91
NCL Norway - Eastern Caribbean - 06/90
Carnival Carnivale - Bahamas - 10/89
Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
948 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Looks like they have just changed the wording for Platinum & Elite & Suite & Bon Voyage passengers. (lots of "preferred / priority" boarders now! )

The e-ticket part baffles me - I did not see a way to save the screen / ticket to a mobile - only option was to print the page - but doesn't printing it no longer make it "e" ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
.... ( Cruisintoddler-the "toddler" and her brother are now both teens!)

Caribbean Princess July 7 / 18 - 7 nites east Car (25th Anniversary Trip!)
--------
Royal Princess Mar 10 / 18 -10 nites Southern Car
Royal Princess Mar 10 / 17 -10 nites East Car
Royal Princess Mar 13 / 16 - 10 nites East Car

Regal Princess B2B Mar 8 & 15 / 15 - 14 nites East Car
Emerald Princess Mar 9 / 14 - 10 nite East Car

Emerald Princess Nov 17 / 12 - 10 nites East Car
Ruby Princess Nov 27 / 11 - 7 nites East Car

Emerald Princess - Dec 18 / 10 - 10 nites East Car
Carnival Miracle - Nov 4 / 09 - 8 nites South Car

RCI Serenade Aug 23 / 08 - 7 nites Alaska
Carnival Victory April 13 / 08 - 7 nites East Car

Star Princess Apr 21 / 07 - 7 nites West Car
Caribbean Princess Oct 29 / 06 - 7 nites East Car
RCI Jewel of the Seas April 22 / 06 - 8 nites East Car (all 4 of us from now on!)
Grand Princess Oct 2001 Eastern Caribbean - 7 nites (2 of us plus DD)
Carnival Fantasy May 19, 1996 Bahamas - 4 nites (just 2 of us - no kids yet )
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,211 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
It appears that in the future they might have an e-Boarding pass made available.
Not that I would want one.
Somehow having a paper copy seems more secure for the time being. I don't trust my phone to lose a document along the way or just run out of charge when I need it the most.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
Brickell, Miami FL & Naples, FL
7,898 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Just checked mine and it has changed since I printed it out a few weeks ago. They either just made the change for all who get early boarding or they changed it from Preferred to Priority to Elite and those in a suites to make it easier for the agents to give out a boarding number.

The E-ticket quote has been on there for a while now. I also wish they would go to an e ticket boarding pass like the airlines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn

Disney Wonder 7/19/02~Bahamas ---- Disney Wonder 1/5/03~Bahamas
Disney Magic 6/7/03~W. Caribbean ---- Disney Magic 1/3/04~W. Caribbean
Golden Princess 10/24/04~S. Caribbean --- Golden Princess 7/11/05~N. European Capitals
Star Princess 3/19/06 (the infamous fire cruise) ~ Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder 7/23/06~Bahamas ---- Crown Princess 11/4/06~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 3/31/07~S. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 3/29/08~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 4/5/09~E. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 10/30/10~Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 11/12/11~S. Caribbean ---- Norwegian Sky 9/3/12~Bahamas
Majesty of the Seas RCL 1/11/13~Bahamas --- Majesty of the Seas RCL 8/19/13~Bahamas
Ruby Princess 1/18/14~W. Caribbean ---- Ruby Princess 1/23/14~W. Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 9/25/14 ~ Princess Cay --- Regal Princess 11/6/14 ~ Caribbean
Regal Princess 11/9/14 ~ E. Caribbean --Norwegian Sky 2/13/15 ~ Bahamas
Regal Princess 4/12/15 ~ Caribbean --- Emerald Princess 3/5/16 ~ Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 9/2/16 --- Regal Princess 11/27/16~Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 4/16/17 ~ W Caribbean --- Regal Princess 12/3/17 ~ Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 2/18/18 ~ W Caribbean

14 Miles From LA Port
2,627 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
There are people who still fill out some paperwork paper and pen. Your pass is to get you to the desk(s) for pax who have registered 100% online. The "higher" your Princess status the faster they try getting you on the ship. As others have stated, semantics with what words being used "now". Once at the cruise center you will be directed to what desk to go to, no matter what is printed on your pass.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anything that doesn't kill you,,, just hurts a hell of a lot
Sea Princess 2/2002 Mexico, Star Princess 2/2003 Mexico (2nd time), Carnival Pride 10/2004 Mexico (3rd time), Diamond Princess 5/2005 Alaska, Sapphire Princess 12/2005 Mexico (4th time), Dawn Princess 11/2006 Mexico (5th time), Caribbean Princess 6/2007 W. Caribbean, Golden Princess 11/2007 Mexico (6th time), Sapphire Princess 11/2008 Mexico (7th time), Star Princess 6/2009 Alaska, Mariner of the Seas 12/2009 Mexico (8th time), Sapphire Princess 12/2010 Mexico (9th time), Coral Princess 10/2011 Trans Panama Canal, Ruby Princess 4/23/2019 Alaska
Chico, California
10,578 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Just checked mine. I printed the passes a few weeks ago and they say "Preferred". Checking now they have changed to say "Priority". No idea why. Probably just new nomenclature. I doubt it makes any difference. However, being a weirdo, I will likely print them again anyway to have the "newest and coolest". What a dork.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

The Stateroom Under The Stairs
479 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by jlp20
There are people who still fill out some paperwork paper and pen. Your pass is to get you to the desk(s) for pax who have registered 100% online. The "higher" your Princess status the faster they try getting you on the ship. As others have stated, semantics with what words being used "now". Once at the cruise center you will be directed to what desk to go to, no matter what is printed on your pass.
OMG someone who talks sense, what are you doing on CC ?

Can I fax you my appreciation?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
If you want me I shall be in my stateroom, or the bar, or the pool, or the pool with the bar, or the stateroom with bar and pool in it but definitely somewhere on board a ship!

Previously:

Castel Felice - Sitmar Line 1969
TSS Fairstar - The Fun Ship - 1985
Sea Princess - 2013
Dawn Princess - 2015
Emerald Princes 2016
Golden Princess 2017
Geelong - Australia
2,999 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
All part of the BS American marketing to make everyone feel important . In reality Patinum and Elite get directed to a separate express check in queue. All the rest whether Preferential or Preferred it is just marketing BS, you get directed to the normal queue, unless the Elite/Platinum queue is personless !!!

Sorta like the airlines frequent flyer con with check in baggage priority, when it all goes into the same conatiners basically first to check in on bottom, so your bags come out later, but still proudly tagged priority . Makes you feel important but just another BS marketing con .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SUN PRINCESS - Sydney - South Pacific - Sydney . 10/2010
COSTA CLASSICA - Hong Kong - Japan - Shanghai . 03/2010

OCEAN PRINCESS. Rome - Greek Islands - Athens - Venice . 09/2011
SEA PRINCESS. Sydney - Pacific Crossing - San Francisco. 04/2012
OCEAN PRINCESS. Rome - Singapore. 10/2012
RSSC VOYAGER . Bali - Melbourne. 12/2012
REGATTA . Miami - San Francisco . 04/2013
PRINSENDAM. Rome - Fort Lauderdale. 11/2013
QUEEN MARY II Fremantle - Sydney 02/2014
ARANUI III - Marquesas Islands - 06/2014
STAR PRIDE . Piraeus - Greek islands - Istanbul . 08/2015
GOLDEN PRINCESS . Tasmania . 01/2016
INSIGNIA . Sydney - Los Angeles . 05/2016
GOLDEN PRINCESS . Melbourne - Auckland 03/2017
SUN PRINCESS New Caledonia & Vanuatu 06/2017
WIND SURF Sicilian Splendours 10/2017
REGATTA . San Francisco - Alaska - Vancouver 05/2018
L " AUSTRAL Broome - Darwin . 07/2018

Roselle, IL 60172
651 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Originally posted by cruisintoddler
The e-ticket part baffles me - I did not see a way to save the screen / ticket to a mobile - only option was to print the page - but doesn't printing it no longer make it "e" ?
No, printing it does not make it no longer an e-ticket. E-ticketing refers to where the negotiable coupon is. In the old days, and particularly with airlines, the coupon, taken when you boarded, was a negotiable instrument. Behind the scenes, when airline A issued a ticket for travel on airline B (called interlining - a word that has multiple context-sensitive meanings in the travel industry), after you flew airline B, they had to send the coupon to airline A at which point airline A would pay airline B (much like how bank checks are cleared behind the scenes). With e-ticketing, what you print is just evidence of that ticket. All the processing of that ticket goes on the same same whether you print the boarding pass (and a boarding pass is not a ticket) or just show it on a mobile device.

BTW, as a retired airline employee, I have seen the screen representation of an airline e-ticket in the reservations system. They are similar to the old paper tickets and the same clearing and payment process goes on behind the scenes except its all electronic instead of physical. Just like paper tickets, there are a maximum of four segments to an airline e-ticket (if you have more than four segments, then multiple tickets are issued). But considering that interline tickets don't exist in the cruise world (e.g. RCCL doesn't issue tickets for travel on Princess; all tickets for travel on Princess are issued by Princess), the whole concept of tickets for a cruise is rather dated since there is no need for the whole post-travel ticket clearing process as there still is with airlines. I doubt there are actually tickets anymore, at least as we used to think of them (my first cruise in 1990 did have paper tickets which had to be surrendered to receive a boarding pass), but they use the term "e-ticketing" because it's familiar to many people who still expect there to be a ticket of some sort.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Larry
(screen name is "el"-stone19, not "eye"-stone19)

Regal Princess 9/9/17 British Isles and Norway Passage (Transatlantic)
Regal Princess 10/22/16 NYC/Canada 5-day
Regal Princess 6/14/16 Baltic
Coral Princess 12/23/03 Panama Canal partial transit
Coral Princess 12/24/02 (cancelled - ship delivery delayed )
Dawn Princess 6/01 Voyage of the Glaciers N/B
Sky Princess 5/93 Voyage of the Glaciers N/B
Southward 12/92 Pacific Coast 3-day
Seaward 12/90 Western Caribbean
14,253 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by floridalover5623
It appears that in the future they might have an e-Boarding pass made available.
Not that I would want one.
Somehow having a paper copy seems more secure for the time being. I don't trust my phone to lose a document along the way or just run out of charge when I need it the most.
I agree...still can't do airlines...I can just see me coming up to the gate and having my screen time out and me fumbling around trying to get it back up....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
L RI
2018 cruises completed Pacific Coastal Ruby...Mar.-Apr.
2017 cruises completed MR Emerald... Nov.-Dec. Scandinavian. Crown... Aug-Sept.... South East Asia...Majestic..June-July... Caribbean...Anthem..Mar.- April ...South America... Crown.. Jan.-Feb
Still favor land trips best, but as I log more sea and river days on ships and hours on CC , I might become a "Cruise Lover" sooner than I think or am I already?
1983 1ST Ocean Liner Cruise Caribbean, Carnivale
2006 River Cruise China, Viking Century
My avatar is of a Marine Iguana the most amazing reptile ever, indigenous to the Galapagos......swam with his friends in the Galapagos islands, while traveling on X's Xpedition in 2009 & 2010.....take time to enjoy experiences with nature and it's underwater wonders.

14,253 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by lstone19
No, printing it does not make it no longer an e-ticket. E-ticketing refers to where the negotiable coupon is. In the old days, and particularly with airlines, the coupon, taken when you boarded, was a negotiable instrument. Behind the scenes, when airline A issued a ticket for travel on airline B (called interlining - a word that has multiple context-sensitive meanings in the travel industry), after you flew airline B, they had to send the coupon to airline A at which point airline A would pay airline B (much like how bank checks are cleared behind the scenes). With e-ticketing, what you print is just evidence of that ticket. All the processing of that ticket goes on the same same whether you print the boarding pass (and a boarding pass is not a ticket) or just show it on a mobile device.

BTW, as a retired airline employee, I have seen the screen representation of an airline e-ticket in the reservations system. They are similar to the old paper tickets and the same clearing and payment process goes on behind the scenes except its all electronic instead of physical. Just like paper tickets, there are a maximum of four segments to an airline e-ticket (if you have more than four segments, then multiple tickets are issued). But considering that interline tickets don't exist in the cruise world (e.g. RCCL doesn't issue tickets for travel on Princess; all tickets for travel on Princess are issued by Princess), the whole concept of tickets for a cruise is rather dated since there is no need for the whole post-travel ticket clearing process as there still is with airlines. I doubt there are actually tickets anymore, at least as we used to think of them (my first cruise in 1990 did have paper tickets which had to be surrendered to receive a boarding pass), but they use the term "e-ticketing" because it's familiar to many people who still expect there to be a ticket of some sort.
Interesting.....thanks for the info..

To follow along with your info...I recently misplaced our boarding pass for a cruise last month so at the terminal entrance I was instructed to go to a desk inside...There they had the manifest...rep. found our names wrote them with our cabin number on the health forms and we were off......at check in just told them I was priority..no worries....
14,253 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by kuldalai
All part of the BS American marketing to make everyone feel important . In reality Patinum and Elite get directed to a separate express check in queue. All the rest whether Preferential or Preferred it is just marketing BS, you get directed to the normal queue, unless the Elite/Platinum queue is personless !!!

Sorta like the airlines frequent flyer con with check in baggage priority, when it all goes into the same conatiners basically first to check in on bottom, so your bags come out later, but still proudly tagged priority . Makes you feel important but just another BS marketing con .
Sometimes with airlines you have a priority tag because your connecting flight for the baggage handlers.....at least that has been my experience...I really don't know what or care what princess is doing because often going to a non-priority line is faster.

BTW...awhile back they took off info(like elite) on luggage tags...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
L RI
2018 cruises completed Pacific Coastal Ruby...Mar.-Apr.
2017 cruises completed MR Emerald... Nov.-Dec. Scandinavian. Crown... Aug-Sept.... South East Asia...Majestic..June-July... Caribbean...Anthem..Mar.- April ...South America... Crown.. Jan.-Feb
Still favor land trips best, but as I log more sea and river days on ships and hours on CC , I might become a "Cruise Lover" sooner than I think or am I already?
1983 1ST Ocean Liner Cruise Caribbean, Carnivale
2006 River Cruise China, Viking Century
My avatar is of a Marine Iguana the most amazing reptile ever, indigenous to the Galapagos......swam with his friends in the Galapagos islands, while traveling on X's Xpedition in 2009 & 2010.....take time to enjoy experiences with nature and it's underwater wonders.

Loveland, CO
2,069 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by Thrak
Just checked mine. I printed the passes a few weeks ago and they say "Preferred". Checking now they have changed to say "Priority". No idea why. Probably just new nomenclature. I doubt it makes any difference. However, being a weirdo, I will likely print them again anyway to have the "newest and coolest". What a dork.

Then here's hiya from another dork!

Pooh
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regal Princess - 24 Night Northern Europe Grand Adventure, 08/2019
Disney Fantasy - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean with Family!, 05/2019
Grand Princess - 10 Night Mexican Riviera, 03/2019 (WS!)
Royal Prncess - 19 Night Maple Explorer Tour 2B, 10/2018
Royal Princess - 10 Nt. Southern Caribbean Medley, 03/2018
Ruby Princess - Alaska Inside Passage, 09/2016
RCCL Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean, 04/2016
Star Princess - Hawaiian Cruise, 04/2015

HAL Maasdam - Southern Caribbean, 03/11
Coral Princess(Grand Canal)- 02/10
HAL Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean - 11/08
Coral Princess- Panama- 10/07
Caribbean Princess - Eastern - 02/07
Brilliance of the Seas - Med.(Venice) - 09/06
Celebrity Summit - Ultimate Southern - 04/05
HAL Zuiderdam - Western Caribbean - 05/04
HAL Rotterdam - Panama Canal - 10/03
Sea Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/00
MS Niew Amsterdam - Alaska - 06/91
NCL Norway - Eastern Caribbean - 06/90
Carnival Carnivale - Bahamas - 10/89
6,047 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Thrak
Don't do it!!! Stand up to oppression by the man.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
Central NJ
404 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by kuldalai

Sort of like some hotels that email you 24 hours in advance of your reservation to check in on your phone to get to your room faster. W#F you still have to check in at the desk for the room key and hand over your credit card

Howard
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Home Lines Oceanic Bahamas 1971
Royal Caribbean RCL 1973
Bermuda Norwegian Cruise line 1975
Bermuda Norwegian Cruise line 1984
Caribbean RCL 1991
Caribbean RCL 1991
Hawaii Norwegian Cruise line 2000
Alaska Dawn Princess 2001
Moscow to St. Petersburg River cruise 2004
4 night Yangtze River cruise 2008
Caribbean Princess 2012
Panama Canal Caribbean Coral Princess 2013
Mexico Caribbean Princess 2014
Caribbean Princess 23 day Norway, Iceland, Canada, UK, USA Aug/Sept 2015
Future Cruises
Caribbean Princess Western Caribbean 6 Days Dec 11,2016
Regal Princess 10 day NY, Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale,Fl Oct 2017
Cheshire, UK
792 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Just printing off stuff for our cruise on the Royal. We are Elite. but there is no reference to Preferred check in, just says ETicket Boarding Pass in a sort of turquoise blue. Have they changed the system, does everyone get the same with no reference at all to priority?

Not being snobbish (well a little), but to get to elite we spent 151 days and a lot of money on cruises.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life is like a book, if you don't travel, you only read the first page
Central NJ
404 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by The Wilkies
Just printing off stuff for our cruise on the Royal. We are Elite. but there is no reference to Preferred check in, just says ETicket Boarding Pass in a sort of turquoise blue. Have they changed the system, does everyone get the same with no reference at all to priority?

Not being snobbish (well a little), but to get to elite we spent 151 days and a lot of money on cruises.
You will wind up in a section reserved for Platinum and Elite members.
Elite members are called to board prior to our lower Platinum members on the Princess food chain.

Relax and enjoy your cruise

Howard
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Home Lines Oceanic Bahamas 1971
Royal Caribbean RCL 1973
Bermuda Norwegian Cruise line 1975
Bermuda Norwegian Cruise line 1984
Caribbean RCL 1991
Caribbean RCL 1991
Hawaii Norwegian Cruise line 2000
Alaska Dawn Princess 2001
Moscow to St. Petersburg River cruise 2004
4 night Yangtze River cruise 2008
Caribbean Princess 2012
Panama Canal Caribbean Coral Princess 2013
Mexico Caribbean Princess 2014
Caribbean Princess 23 day Norway, Iceland, Canada, UK, USA Aug/Sept 2015
Future Cruises
Caribbean Princess Western Caribbean 6 Days Dec 11,2016
Regal Princess 10 day NY, Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale,Fl Oct 2017
California
161 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
As for printing boarding passes in advance, it's best to check all the details close to boarding time. On one of our cruises, Princess upgraded a couple's cabin without notifying them, and they didn't find that out until they checked in. By that time, their bags were gone with the wrong cabin number on the tags. That evening, they had to go to another deck to find their bags.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[IMG]