Upsell offered. What would you do?

Carol28

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam for 10 days on a Panama Canal cruise. We were offered an upsell from our SS to an SA for $500 per person. We said no. If it were $500 for both of us, we would have said yes.

What would you do? Do you feel the Neptune Suite is worth an extra $1,000?

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam for 10 days on a Panama Canal cruise. We were offered an upsell from our SS to an SA for $500 per person. We said no. If it were $500 for both of us, we would have said yes.

Speaking as someone who no longer pays big money to sail in the Neptune Suite, yes, I feel it is worth an extra $1,000 for ten days. $100 per day for the perks, sure!

We are also on this same sailing, and received the same offer yesterday. We also passed on the 499.00 upsell from SS to SA. I have been watching the stateroom availability for quite a while and the SS have been "sold out" on and off for several weeks, but there are quite a few Neptunes available. I believe we will get better upsell offers and have to decide what it is worth to each of us. If don't get a Neptune, we are perfectly happy in a Signature, so the price will have to be 200.00 or less. We'll see. Just happy that we are only about 5 weeks away from sailing!

At 5 weeks out, I would probably wait as well...sorry, I didn’t realize you were that far out. It will get better if the Neptunes are not selling.

Isn’t that a little soon to be getting upsell offers? They must really want your category...and if they want it bad enough they’ll give a better offer.

You can counter-offer to them on the phone. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t...depends how badly they want your existing stateroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it is any consolation, and having sailed in Neptune Suites on the TA's, we chose to decline an upsell from an SS on our 10-day cruise. Not worth it for that length of time. The SS suites are very nice.

I agree. For a longer cruise, or one with many sea days like a TA, a larger stateroom would be nice since we would be spending more time in the room. Shorter, port intensive itineraries we spend more time out of the room. On the 10 day partial Panama Canal sailing we will be out of the room most of the time, so a SS will be great! Could use the upsell dollars to pay for HSC, laundry and a couple of nice dinners.

After just returning from a short 7 day cruise in our first Neptune Suite we would probably take it. We were spoiled by the complimentary laundry & dry cleaning, the Neptune lounge and priority tender privileges. The concierges in the Neptune lounge were fantastic. We usually travel in the SS suites but thought the Neptunes were nicer. We just booked a 14 day Panama cruise and hope we are offered an upsell.

Last year on Zuiderdam we waited until the third round of upsells...we had a Signature Suite reserved.

First offer was $499 each to a Neptune. Declined.

Second offer came the following week, $399 each to a Neptune. Declined.

Third offer came a few days later, 12 days before sailing, $299 each to a Neptune. We accepted and were able to choose a suite right across the hall from the Neptune Lounge.

I knew I was rolling the dice waiting for it to hit my target of $299...but in my case it paid off.

HAL does not seem to be as aggressive (price wise) in marketing upsells as compared to how they used to be a couple of years ago. Now they seem to like to throw out a relatively high price and see if anyone takes it. If not, lower the price and try again. Of course, this depends on the number of Neptune cabins they have open.

I look at three things when determining what price to accept an upsell:

1. How much is it per day. At $50 pp/per day your offer is fairly reasonable IMO.

2. What are the current prices in the Signature and Neptune cabins (I used the lowest categories in each) and how much is the difference. Then I take 1/3rd of the difference and shoot for that.

3. How happy I am with my current cabin and where the Neptune cabin is. If the Neptune cabin is in a much better location (IMO) I would go a bit higher than the norm.

For what it is worth........

Last year on Zuiderdam we waited until the third round of upsells...we had a Signature Suite reserved.

Third offer came a few days later, 12 days before sailing, $299 each to a Neptune. We accepted and were able to choose a suite right across the hall from the Neptune Lounge.

I knew I was rolling the dice waiting for it to hit my target of $299...but in my case it paid off.

Glad your gamble paid off! Good for you!

Very nice :)

I was shocked when I was holding out for an upsell as I saw all these empty cabins and found out there were only really 3 - there were a pile of guarantees :eek:

You did really well.

We were on 10 day Panama Canal cruise mid January. We were offered upgrade for $300 per person to go from SS to Neptune. We've stayed in Neptune before and we were happy to grab the offer. My sister and husband were cruising with us and they were offered same deal and we were even able to have cabins next to each other. Well worth it. SS are fine, but love the perks with Neptune.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Especially for a Panama Canal cruise! Watching the locks and "mules" working from the balcony was a once-in-a-lifetime thrill.:)

Cheers!

Agree 100% - well worth it if in an aft-wrap through the Canal. We had a deck 5 port side on the Zuiderdam and it was fantastic - something we will never forget.

We did the same roll of the dice on a Prinsedam cruise. We ended up in the panicle suite for very short money..... on the third call! So my advice is to always make them a counter offer when they call, sometimes you get lucky!

Well how do you get the upsell offers? We are on the Kdam, and there seems to be a big difference between Vista(what we have) and Neptune in size of cabin and much better bath with tub, which I really want.

We are at the highest category we can be before going up will that make a difference?

We are still 55 or so days out. I see where they have dropped the price on Signature suites on the web site.

Any advice?