Any Experienced Mediterranean Cruisers?

wilmingtech

My wife and I are looking at booking a HAL cruise in the Mediterranean next year.

Curious to hear/read about what ports have been their Med favorites and why. We love to read stories and personal experiences.

We are mid 40's very active and prefer hiking and getting off the beaten path rather than group tours but would love to hear about what you've seen/experienced regardless.

This will be our 6th cruise but 1st with HAL. I think we are trending towards something more eastern med than western med.

Sell us on your favorite port!

Thanks Ahead for Posting!

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Welcome to thinking about HAL. This is a tough question since there are so many ways to package the Mediterranean cruise experience.

Adding your desire for the active hiking component into the mix, makes this even harder. However, HAL is including more active shore excursions that include biking, hiking or active sports components to the menu. We have found most of these to be somewhat tame, though they are still interesting and convenient.

Three "eastern" Mediterranean ports come to mind that we particularly enjoyed are Agristoli, Greece, Valetta Malta, Naples Italy - these we did easily on our own with some prior planning, but were able to get beyond the tourist beaten path - one a wonderful countryside hike ( Agristoli); one an active ramble across the built urban environment up and down hills with The Siege of Malta 1565 in hand (Valetta) and the final a combination of both activities -urban and countryside (Naples + ferry to Procida).

There is probably no one perfect Mediterranean itinerary, so you might want to just take the plunge based on ship, price and timing and then do some vigorous online exploration to see how you can make any choice work best for you. That is how we discovered the surprising delights of Agristoli - a port stop that initially left us with a ho-hum feeling while I scrambled to find something to do. Online i where I came across this delightful country walk that immersed us directly into the WWII history of this area and the actual spots connected to the true story behind the movie Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Plus one of the best local restaurants that one needed to go out of their way to find. (Oscars).

Naples is often seen as a city to avoid and get out to Pompei as soon as possible, yet with a carefully planned route (Rick Steves has a good one in his Mediterranean Cruise Ports book), it is a city very rich in beautiful architecture, deep history, people, food, street life and intriguing pedestrian byways. The one hour ferry to the smalll island of Procida allows a fulls circuit hiking opportunity and delightful restaurants, even under huge lemon arbors well beyond the crush of tourists found in the better known Naples Bay islands like Capri and Ischia.

Well, that is a start and maybe poking around that Rick Steve's books can give you some further insights to help your decision process. Best wishes to you on this task. But also the caution to not over think this - you almost can't go wrong with any choice - so many port combinations are what you make out of them - some are heavily impacted by tourism, but for good reason and some are more obscure and ask for more personal exploration on your own.

We have done five Med cruises. We are not so keen to do them any more for several reasons. We too like the eastern Med but we love Turkey. We preferred to start or end a cruise in Istanbul so that we could easily add on a week, sometime two of travel in Turkey. We are no longer interested in cruises that stop in places like Dubrovnik, Santorini, Mykonos, etc. because these stops become zoos when multiple ships are in port. We have visited these ports on land tours. The cruise ship crowds really do drain a great deal of the atmosphere and ambiance from the stops. Plus we find that some of the most enjoyable times for us are early morning and in the evening as the sun sets. Cruisers often do not get to enjoy these port times.

We also find that some of the places that we do enjoy are simply too far away from the port. Places such as Rome, Florence, Siena, and others. This,combined with the fact that many cruise lines seem intent on reducing the amount of time spent in port. Not certain if this is a expense avoidance issue for them or a revenue enhancement program to increase on board spending.

We have spent many months in the Med and love Greece and Italy. Crete in particular, has spectacular hikes but would be best done from a land trip as you need more than one day in port.

Santorini has some interesting walks, red sand beach, Akrotiri. We too loved Argostoli and Keffallonia, we also loved nearby Zakynthos, see my avatar for the most beautiful beach. Rhodes and Lindos are great. A boat trip around Corfu is one of our all time favourites.

Italy is also incredible if you get off the beaten path, visit Lucca to bicycle the town walls. We also really enjoyed Sicily. My dream cruise would be Venice to Rome with a precruise visit to the cliffs Rumi visited near Trieste. Naples with a visit to Ischia or Capri or the amazing palace at Caserta, followed by sfogitella pastries And pizza! We also were surprised by Genoa in a good way.

So much to see! Agree with Iancal, avoid the overtouristed if possible!

Italy is also incredible if you get off the beaten path, visit Lucca to bicycle the town walls. We also really enjoyed Sicily. My dream cruise would be Venice to Rome with a precruise visit to the cliffs Rumi visited near Trieste. Naples with a visit to Ischia or Capri or the amazing palace at Caserta, followed by sfogitella pastries And pizza! We also were surprised by Genoa in a good way.

.........!

Thank you for these reminders about the charms of just Italy itself - port of Livorno takes you to Lucca by train, which is a jewel of a small walled city still pretty much off the tourist beaten path as so many others go on to Florence instead.

Livorno is also the jumping off spot for the now heavily impacted Cinque Terre hike (I believe one now needs prior reservations for entry into this area). Yet a local train ride from Livorno going beyond the Cinque Terre takes one to other small seaside villages like Levanto.

I wish more HALships included Genoa too, but I believe this is the home port for a lot of Costa offerings instead.

You're getting lots of good suggestions on ports. I'll make one about timing. If possible make your trip in the spring or the fall. The temperatures are cooler and the crowds are smaller. If you're itinerary happens to stop at the rock (Gibraltar) you can hike up to the top and back. I've done the down hill part of that hike. If you start or end you're cruise in Civitavecchia, stay a few days in Rome and you can walk your legs off and never see it all.

I have not been on the HAL forum for a few years and just happened on this thread when looking for information on the Nieuw Amsterdam. So glad that I clicked on it. (See below)

But first, to answer the OP's question: We have cruised/traveled all around Europe and the UK. Covered many areas of the Mediterranean and love it all! In fact, my very first overseas cruise was with HAL in 2008..compliments of my parents. :hearteyes:

Once you have started cruising overseas, you cannot stop. So if you like cruising, it's a great way to see snippets of the world!

My husband and I especially enjoy Greece and Italy. We have ways to work around the crowds in Santorini, so that would probably be our favorite Greek isle to date. Mykonos and Corfu are close seconds. And although we did not care for Lindos and the crowds, Rhodes was a favorite for history. Lindos was disappointing after having been to other white villages of Greece.

Rome is and always will be tops! From there, have ventured out on day excursions to towns like Montepulciano and Orvieto. And we once took a day train to Florence. Be sure to stay over several days in either your embarkation or disembarkation port city to take advantage. We usually stay on land 2-3 nights on either end.

From Naples, we have been to Capri, all down the Amalfi coast, Pompeii and Herculaneum.

We also love visiting Malta, Dubrovnik and Montenegro.

All the above offer areas where you can hike the towns or hills.

There is probably no one perfect Mediterranean itinerary, so you might want to just take the plunge based on ship, price and timing and then do some vigorous online exploration to see how you can make any choice work best for you. That is how we discovered the surprising delights of Agristoli - a port stop that initially left us with a ho-hum feeling while I scrambled to find something to do. Online i where I came across this delightful country walk that immersed us directly into the WWII history of this area and the actual spots connected to the true story behind the movie Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Plus one of the best local restaurants that one needed to go out of their way to find. (Oscars).

OlsSalt - This is one place that we have never visited and now I am intrigued! Captain Antonio Corelli is a distant relative of my family on my grandfathers side. His mother was a Corelli. I had a great Aunt, and now a niece named Corelli. I watched the movie when it came out many years ago. This before we started traveling overseas. Time to find it again and watch! I think I will also read the book.

Thanks so much for pointing me to Agristoli and the connection to Antonio Corelli. ;)

I

OlsSalt - This is one place that we have never visited and now I am intrigued! Captain Antonio Corelli is a distant relative of my family on my grandfathers side. His mother was a Corelli. I had a great Aunt, and now a niece named Corelli. I watched the movie when it came out many years ago. This before we started traveling overseas. Time to find it again and watch! I think I will also read the book.

Thanks so much for pointing me to Agristoli and the connection to Antonio Corelli. ;)

Your post gave me chills. Here is more information about the Italian war memorials on this hiking route from Agristoli. I hope you get there - it was very moving: https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/12433/Memorial-Acqui-Division-Kefalonia.htm I would recommend doing this on your own and not in a group so you can have special time alone with its ghosts.

Using this map, we took the flat coast route around the end of the peninsula that passed the waterwheels and the light house, then had a delightful lunch at Oscars and returned back on the interior hill route where the two memorials are located. A bit tricky to find these routes as the marking is not consistent but even getting lost and having to backtrack in this lovely country was okay. https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/12433/Where-is-Memorial-Acqui-Division-Kefalonia.htm

You have been given a lot of good tips re: port calls. I would add the suggestion that you build in enough time to spend several days ( hopefully at both ends) for land stays to have a real chance to see one (and hopefully two) as a land traveler. Whatever ports are involved : Barcelona, Rome, Athens, Venice, whatever are all worth several days at least. The

We've been on 2 Mediterranean cruise with a 3rd coming up next June. We have found every port we visited just great. We loved Sorrento, Florence and Rome in Italy, so much to see in the Eternal City. In Greece Athens is wonderful but it's a lot like Los Angeles with smog hanging over the city. Santorini is one of best Greek Islands. Ephesus is a great place to visit with all the Greek and Roman ruins which are pretty much in great shape for 2000 years old. We found Istanbul a fascinating city with many places to visit like Haiga Sophia, the Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazzarr, would not visit again because terrorism is much more prevalent than it was in 1999 when it was peaceful, 9-11changed everything.

Your post gave me chills. Here is more information about the Italian war memorials on this hiking route from Agristoli. I hope you get there - it was very moving: https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/12433/Memorial-Acqui-Division-Kefalonia.htm I would recommend doing this on your own and not in a group so you can have special time alone with its ghosts.

Using this map, we took the flat coast route around the end of the peninsula that passed the waterwheels and the light house, then had a delightful lunch at Oscars and returned back on the interior hill route where the two memorials are located. A bit tricky to find these routes as the marking is not consistent but even getting lost and having to backtrack in this lovely country was okay. https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/12433/Where-is-Memorial-Acqui-Division-Kefalonia.htm

Thank you so much. ;) I read the article. It mentioned another war burial sight in Bari. We have actually been there when on the way to see the Trulli houses in Alberobello.

As for hikes, several places stood out for me. First up was climbing Mt. Vesuvius, with my son, on Father's day. Next was Athens and the Acropolis - walking in the literal footsteps of Plato, Socrates, and Aristotle. Barcelona was incredibly walkable (with great Sangria). We also walked all over Istanbul, and all over Venice.

Two words of advice - avoid August, as that's when Europe vacations, and wear sturdy shoes with good tread as you may encounter rough cobblestone streets and very slick marble.

Since you have never been to the region, any cruise should be very interesting. We have been on dozens of Med cruisers over lots of years and also spent a lot of time in the region on extended self-driving trips. To date we have never become bored with any of the Med countries. I do agree with one of the other posters about Turkey..which has long been one of our favorite places with Istanbul absolutely amazing. But now, Erdogen has created such problems within his country that we can no longer recommend visiting. Tis a real shame.

For a first time visitor the usual Italy, France and Greece ports will all offer a terrific experience. Look carefully at the itineraries and the times spent in each port (the longer the better). You want full long port days...not the shorter visits offered by some lines (we have especially seen this with some MSC and NCL cruises). Be cautious with days of the week in certain ports. For example, too many cruises visit Civitavecchia on a Sunday which is the day that the Vatican Museums are closed (except for 1 Sunday a month). Also consider a cruise that begins and ends at different ports such as Barcelona to Civitavecchia (Rome). Plan on extending your trip at both ends so you get some quality land time.

And finally there is some bad news. Traveling in Europe costs more than cruises to areas like the Caribbean. You will spend more money in each port so budget accordingly.

Hank

In Gibraltar, you can walk all the way to Point Europa. You can walk quite a ways on the east side along the coast but cannot reach Point Europa and thus circumnavigate the Rock because there is a no-pedestrian tunnel

In Lucca, the walls can be walked and it was very pleasant.

We like Istanbul and Kusadasi the best, but I've learned a little travelers' Turkish, so I'm prejudiced.

Otherwise, Naples or Sorrento stand out above all the others for us, because there are so many alternative things to do there.

Venice, Crete, Malaga and Malta rank high because real people live there.

The least spoiled Mediterranean towns we've stopped at were two in Tunisia, but they're not often visited by cruise ships.

Monaco, Cannes, St. Tropez, etc. should all be visited at least once.

Absolutely must see are Rome and Venice. Spend 2-3 days in either (especially Rome) before or after your cruise if possible.

Barcelona, Istanbul, Florence and the Amalfi Coast are all excellent. Also Athens and the islands in Greece.

The other places that cruise ships usually stop are also interesting, but some for no more than one visit.

Food everywhere in the Med is "exceptional".

The most interesting port we have visited is Alexandria, Egypt. It is usually the port for people to visit Cairo and several pyramids including the Great Pyramid and the Sphinx. You can crawl, walk and climb through some of the Great Pyramid depending on your physical ability. It's not mountain climbing, but somewhat demanding. Cairo is simply too different. You just have to see it to believe it. You need at least two days in the area.

You will not be able to see all the highlights on one cruise unless it is a very long one.

Wow! thanks for asking your question. I need to start searching for another Med cruise.

This has been fantastic feedback.

My wife and I started to read through this last night and our heads started spinning with all the ideas of things to do and places to visit.

We always try to spend a few days before and after, especially overseas. There is just too much to explore.

We are now thinking of doing 1/2 our trip on a cruise and 1/2 by land. Still have a bit of time.

Thanks again to all who have replied. Fantastic ideas and places we never would have thought to add to our trip.

-Sean

We like Istanbul and Kusadasi the best, but I've learned a little travelers' Turkish, so I'm prejudiced.

Otherwise, Naples or Sorrento stand out above all the others for us, because there are so many alternative things to do there.

Venice, Crete, Malaga and Malta rank high because real people live there.

May I add Cad iz and Naples ? The least spoiled Mediterranean towns we've stopped at were two in Tunisia, but they're not often visited by cruise ships.

Monaco, Cannes, St. Tropez, etc. should all be visited at least once.

We've spent about 80 days in the Med. What I wish we'd done last time: Find a cruise with Naples one of the last port stops. Instead of staying onboard to disembark in Rome, ask the cruise line if you can disembark early in Naples. Then you can have extended vacation on your own anywhere on the Amalfi Coast. To me, that's a perfect Med cruise and land stay combo.

This has been fantastic feedback.

My wife and I started to read through this last night and our heads started spinning with all the ideas of things to do and places to visit.

We always try to spend a few days before and after, especially overseas. There is just too much to explore.

We are now thinking of doing 1/2 our trip on a cruise and 1/2 by land. Still have a bit of time.

Thanks again to all who have replied. Fantastic ideas and places we never would have thought to add to our trip.

-Sean

We love being in Europe and having the chance to stay on to do land exploring. Each time we have rented an apartment through VRBO and lived in a neighborhood, going to the fresh market, attended concerts and museums, walked endlessly and truly felt the pulse of the community. It is a magical (IMHO) way to travel.

We love being in Europe and having the chance to stay on to do land exploring. Each time we have rented an apartment through VRBO and lived in a neighborhood, going to the fresh market, attended concerts and museums, walked endlessly and truly felt the pulse of the community. It is a magical (IMHO) way to travel.
Ha! Never thought I'd post something on cruise critic that would end up talking me out of a cruise!!!

-Sean

Ha! Never thought I'd post something on cruise critic that would end up talking me out of a cruise!!!

-Sean

I think a lot here are travelers first, and also choose cruising too.

There is a time for both, and the best thing as some of us get older and hang up the backpack and EurRail passes, cruising still keeps us from just sitting in a rocking chair with only our old photos as armchair memories. Now we snooze in the sun on a shp -- and most likely a HAL ship as long as she keeps her destinations fresh and engaging.