Safety in Barcelona?

SJS

I was in Barcelona with my DB & his wife. We had gone to La Familia Segrada, & my DB was wearing a fannypack. I told him to be very careful with it. After, we stopped at a pastry shop to grab a snack. We didn’t see him take the fannypack off, as we were checking the WiFi. He had set it on the chair across from him, & w/I 3 minutes it was GONE! About $500 worth of camera & other items gone. Luckily his wallet was not in there. Not a great way to start a vacation. Just be aware of surroundings & don’t hang your purse on your chair.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Went to Barcelona last year and although Spanish is my first language we were scared of stories online. I’m glad we choose Europe for 2017, I felt secure on the hotel ( it wasn’t that expensive ) but of course we were with out guards up to protect wallets etc. I believe thieves know who are easy to target and who are not, don’t let any one approach your selling stuff inside your personal space and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been to Barcelona several times and always felt safe. However, watch for pick pockets. We did not use metro. As in any large city keep vigilant. Don't be afraid to enjoy this wonderful cify.

I used the metro in Barcelona and no problems. Again just gotta be vigilant.

I’ve used the metro in most of the major European cities like Rome, Paris, London,Munich, Dublin, Amsterdam, Prague, Vienna, Berlin, Budapest, etc and never had an issue but I have witnessed theft a lot. I’ll beat the dead horse again. You just have to stay on guard. These cities are fantastic to visit but you can’t exactly leave stuff on a chair like some people on a cruise and expect it might be there later.

Barcelona is my favourite city in the world! I am a very crime awear person who is very vigilant and do not feel unsafe at all in Barcelona.

Last year me and my husband were there on the day of the terrorist attacks, but still felt safe after it.

Europe is much safer than the US. Yes there may be pickpockets, but they are in all countries. The metro is cleaner and feels way safer than the underground in London.

Don't listen to all the scaremongers, Barcelona is beautiful and the Spanish are lovely people. You will have a brilliant and cultured time there.

Navigator of the Seas July 2016

Serenade of the Seas May 2017

Brilliance of the Seas August 2017

Navigator of the Seas August 2018

Independence of the Seas October 2018

We were there for a TA and our group stayed at the Universl Barcelona.

That’s where we stayed when we sailed from the World Trade Centre docking bay. Good location and nice rooms.

As others have said. There are pick pockets in Barcelona and will probably more prevalent on the metro and tourist spots like Las Rambla.

But don’t let that put you off. Barcelona is a safe city. Just have your wits about you, don’t wave your purse or phone about to light up a beacon. Keep possessions close and safe and you will enjoy your time in Barcelona. It’s a lovely place to visit.

Have you thought about where you might like to visit? I’m sure you can get some great tips for this too.

Barcelona is one of my favourite cities in Europe. I have visited it five times and plan to make many more visits.

The tourist areas are very busy and feel safe to wander around even late in the evening. Away from the tourist areas, you may find some areas uncomfortable in the evening because few people are about. For this reason, choose a hotel that is in a good touristy location.

Whenever I visit a major city, I am always cautious about pickpockets. I keep my cash and credit in different areas which are not easy to access. I am very discrete when I take cash out to pay for an item.

For me Barcelona is the same as New York or London. Great city to visit. Plenty to see and do. Doesn't feel intimidating when you wander around but there is always a risk of theft.

We used this item recently on an international trip. We worried about robbery and pick pockets. Big enough for our passports and cash. Wore it under my shirt on the center of my lower back. Very comfortable and I found myself checking to make sure I still had it on. We got it on Amazon for about 15 bucks.

IMG_0425.thumb.jpg.5bed357f8eb1b06737ebe979ba3f2a48.jpg

Money Belt Waist Pack and Passport Holder Hidden Travel Accessory for Men and Women with RFID protection wallet

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Psycho and Barb

Just as a experiment, one that drives my wife crazy, my wallet and valuables are kept in my front pocket. I have a old wallet that has a single mickey mouse dollar in it, I kept that wallet in my back pocket as I spent 3 days walking as a tourist in Barcelona and also three days walking as a tourist in Rome, and 2 days last year walking in London. So far no pickpocket. This Oct. we will be in Barcelona again for two days and I will carry my old wallet and mickey dollar in my back pocket. I think the pick pocket stories are overblown..

Just as a experiment, one that drives my wife crazy, my wallet and valuables are kept in my front pocket. I have a old wallet that has a single mickey mouse dollar in it, I kept that wallet in my back pocket as I spent 3 days walking as a tourist in Barcelona and also three days walking as a tourist in Rome, and 2 days last year walking in London. So far no pickpocket. This Oct. we will be in Barcelona again for two days and I will carry my old wallet and mickey dollar in my back pocket. I think the pick pocket stories are overblown..

I particularly like wearing Izod golf shorts because of the deep pockets with zips on the pockets where i keep money,cruisecards etc safely to date.

We have been 3 times. We were there last year during the protests and never worried always felt safe. My husband and I are big walkers we walk and wander everywhere. The first time we went I dug out a vintage crossbody coach bag. And used that. What I didn't like about it was having to keep it on my lap when we stopped for a drink or to eat. So the last 2 times we have been I found a great little crossbody bag that holds my phone, glasses, some money and a CC. Its small light weight and it doesn't brother me I hardly know I have it. So now I can just sit and relax and not worry about it. In fact I find I use it every time I go downtown with my friends. Something you might look into. I hope you love the city as much as we do. Get out there and walk and really see the city.

We were in Barcelona last fall and loved it. I'll repeat what others have said...don't let fear keep you away from this beautiful city, but stay vigilant as you would in any major city. We did spot a woman who was lining up to pickpocket me while I was looking at a metro map. I turned around at the last second and this woman, who was obviously not well off financially, suddenly turned away from me and started looking at sunglasses on a little kiosk selling cheap tourist stuff. This is a time when many tourists are vulnerable...looking at maps or being otherwise distracted as they try to figure something out. DW and I used a system where only one at a time looked at something while the other watched the surroundings. That may have been overkill as, other than the woman I mentioned, we never felt unsafe. We were there during one of their major festivals with a lot of partying and fireworks in the street. Somewhat controlled chaos. Amazing experience.

They aren’t overblown. It is very common. Just look up the youth unemployment rate there and that should tell you enough. That and other reasons create a lot of petty crime issues.

Sure you dodged some bullets with your experiments but that could be because you are taking a protective posture in general or maybe just the luck of the draw. However I wouldn’t advise experimenting with your real wallet like that.

In fact I’d advise only bringing the minimum needed in a city like Barcelona. Some cash and maybe one credit card. All the other stuff can stay in the safe.

It's really not about looking like a tourist or acting like a tourist: They know you are a tourist.

The important thing is to keep your valuables in a safe spot. I did not leave my passports in the room safe or hotel safe, I took them with me, but I carried them in a money belt under my clothing and pinned the belt to my clothes as well.

Don't carry a lot of cash or things of value. Leave your valuable things at home! That way you can relax and not care if they steal your trivia. We were pickpocketed in Italy but they did not get anything of value. They can get into purses, bags and wallets, pockets and backpacks. Pack as if you know you will be targeted and you will do fine.

Pickpockets are professionals and you are no match, but that doesn't mean they will be successful if you are sensible.

We loved Barcelona and are very much looking forward to our return in October. However, we had an encounter (daylight) in Park Guel with a pick pocket. Kept all our money and passports on us at all times. Sorry, I don’t trust the safes in any overseas hotel like I do at home.

If you stay in nice hotels (use your judgement on what nice means) I think the safes are secure. I would much rather put my stuff in the safe than carry I around.

I’m pretty sure travel experts suggest you don’t keep your passport on you but instead in a safe location at your hotel. I have traveled Europe a lot and always leave my wallet and passport in the safe. I only bring a moderate amount of cash, any necessities such as a metro card or museum pass, and an ID and one credit card with me when about town. If I lose any of the above it sucks but it isn’t a big lose and I’m fine for the rest of my trip (always have a back up credit card when traveling abroad). If I lost my passport or full wallet on the other hand it would be a lot of wasted time getting it sorted out and possibly a loss of hundreds of euros.

I also use the belt wallet that goes on the inside of your pants at the belt line when I’m in places like Barcelona or Rome. I’ve witnessed too many thieves working in teams to do it any other way and I’ve never had an issue.

My method is like auto pilot for me and I pay attention to my surroundings which is just my general nature anyways. So my trips are pretty much worry free with regards to crime or getting ripped off. This leaves lots of time for fun and enjoyment.

Barcelona has been the hub for the Spanish Costas Brava and Dorada for 50 years so they have lived with tourism and always give you a great welcome.

Learn a few Spanish words or take a Spanish phrase book with you and they will appreciate it.

While many in Barcelona speak Spanish it’s not the primary language

The reality is that Barcelona like some other cities around the world does have issues with respect to pick pocketing.

I have been there many times and usually on our cruises one or two people have had issues.

Same goes for other cities such as Naples, Buenos Aires, Rio, Lima just to name a few.

Leave jewelry and passports in the hotel. Use your hotel safe in your room or if you are very worried have them locked up at the safe behind the front desk.

This is a place to use a travel wallet.

Be street smart. In other words when in crowds by observant.

It is a wonderful city. Lots to do. Beautiful. Great people.

But it does have a pick pocket issue which is greater then many places but not all that different then some of the places I mentioned.

Keith

Just be aware all pickpockets do not "look poor". There was a programme on here a few weeks ago about the pickpockets and some of them were very well dressed young women. The police actually know lots of them and try to follow them and catch them stealing. If standing watching anything on Las Ramblas be aware of anyone bumping into you or trying to get your attention as their accomplice will be behind you. Don't carry valuables in a backpack. Barcelona is a lovely city and you will enjoy it.

They aren’t overblown. It is very common. Just look up the youth unemployment rate there and that should tell you enough. That and other reasons create a lot of petty crime issues.

Sure you dodged some bullets with your experiments but that could be because you are taking a protective posture in general or maybe just the luck of the draw. However I wouldn’t advise experimenting with your real wallet like that.

In fact I’d advise only bringing the minimum needed in a city like Barcelona. Some cash and maybe one credit card. All the other stuff can stay in the safe.

Pickpockets are not young local people. In most cases they are organized and professional groups from eastern or southeastern Europe (e.g. Rumania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Albanis and Russia). The young nice looking ladies are watched by guys.

The risk of pickpockets is indeed higher in European cities like Barcelona, Paris or Rome but the risk of being murdered is very low compared to US cities.

While many in Barcelona speak Spanish it’s not the primary language

Catalonia is still part of Spain and the vocabulary is very similar.

Come to the UK and the dialect just 20 miles away can be different.