Lost Luggage

CruiseGal999

I'm watching The Cruise. And Season 1 there were 41 bags 'lost' or delayed.

Thankfully, I have never experienced this. Some years ago I began taking only carry on luggage.

Anyone who has had 'lost' luggage or delayed luggage, was it the airline that was at fault or was it a luggage service through the cruise line?

This poor Concierge Manager ... one woman and her son flew from their hometown (don't know where) to Pennsylvania to somewhere and then to Copenhagen. And their luggage did not arrive with them. The woman had been in her clothes for 3 days!!!

The mere fact that ANY luggage manages to catch up to the ship is incredible.

But being testy with the concierge ... what do they want to be done? It's all phone calls/emails/texting. There physically isn't anything the poor people can do.

I would be shopping ;)

Most cruise lines will pick up your clothes at night wash them & return in the morning

Our last cruise a couple did not get their bags at all they were sent to the DR but the ship could not tender in so the bags went back to Miami

They were hounding the Concierge all cruise

From what I understood they came from the UK to MIA

Their TA told them the bags would be check through to the ship

well guess what.....they left the bags in the baggage claim & just went on their way

The ship gave them some OBC to buy stuff in the shops & they did shop ashore after they realized they would not be getting their bags anytime soon

Edited by LHT28

I would be shopping ;)

Most cruise lines will pick up your clothes at night wash them & return in the morning

They didn't say if that was being done. I got the impression that at least 2 of the days were flying days to get on the ship. The woman said she was washing her clothes in the sink. ??? Maybe ... maybe not.

I'm watching The Cruise. And Season 1 there were 41 bags 'lost' or delayed.

Thankfully, I have never experienced this. Some years ago I began taking only carry on luggage.

Anyone who has had 'lost' luggage or delayed luggage, was it the airline that was at fault or was it a luggage service through the cruise line?

This poor Concierge Manager ... one woman and her son flew from their hometown (don't know where) to Pennsylvania to somewhere and then to Copenhagen. And their luggage did not arrive with them. The woman had been in her clothes for 3 days!!!

The mere fact that ANY luggage manages to catch up to the ship is incredible.

But being testy with the concierge ... what do they want to be done? It's all phone calls/emails/texting. There physically isn't anything the poor people can do.

Only luggage we've had "lost" was entirely the airline's fault.

We waited until everyone had claimed every bag on the luggage carousel, and then reported to the worker there that our bag wasn't there. He checked our claim tag, then checked his computer, and said, "It was put on the plane, let me see what I can find." He then disappeared through an "employees only" door. We waited, and waited (25 minutes, yes I timed it). He came out and said, "I don't know, it shows it was put on the plane, but it's not there. Are you sure someone else didn't take it?" Umm, yeah.... my husband was on one side of the carousel where the bags came out the chute and I was on the other "just in case" he missed one. We had two matching bags, both with blue duct tape with peace symbols on the handles, and bright red luggage straps around the middle of the bags. One was there, the other was not.

He excused himself and got a "supervisor" (I really doubt that at 1:00 am she was an actual supervisor, more like another worker). But, anyway, she said, "Let me go check". She disappeared through the "employees only" door. Almost immediately, she was back out and went to the computer. After punching keys, and "checking something" she determined that our lost bag had been put in the oversized bags area. And told us that an oversized bag requires special handling, so it, apparently, was overlooked, once off the plane and wasn't included in the bags on the carousel.

My only question was, when she brought it out to us, was "why was this bag determined to be oversized?" I had the two (matching) bags standing right next to each other. She couldn't say......

Other than that, I guess we've been lucky in all our travels.

Only luggage we've had "lost" was entirely the airline's fault.

We waited until everyone had claimed every bag on the luggage carousel, and then reported to the worker there that our bag wasn't there. He checked our claim tag, then checked his computer, and said, "It was put on the plane, let me see what I can find." He then disappeared through an "employees only" door. We waited, and waited (25 minutes, yes I timed it). He came out and said, "I don't know, it shows it was put on the plane, but it's not there. Are you sure someone else didn't take it?" Umm, yeah.... my husband was on one side of the carousel where the bags came out the chute and I was on the other "just in case" he missed one. We had two matching bags, both with blue duct tape with peace symbols on the handles, and bright red luggage straps around the middle of the bags. One was there, the other was not.

He excused himself and got a "supervisor" (I really doubt that at 1:00 am she was an actual supervisor, more like another worker). But, anyway, she said, "Let me go check". She disappeared through the "employees only" door. Almost immediately, she was back out and went to the computer. After punching keys, and "checking something" she determined that our lost bag had been put in the oversized bags area. And told us that an oversized bag requires special handling, so it, apparently, was overlooked, once off the plane and wasn't included in the bags on the carousel.

My only question was, when she brought it out to us, was "why was this bag determined to be oversized?" I had the two (matching) bags standing right next to each other. She couldn't say......

Other than that, I guess we've been lucky in all our travels.

OMG. But you got your bag right then and there. That is something. It's a PITA to argue with the employees to do their job & find it, but that's great it was there.

I saw a guy grab my bag and walk away. It was a 40 something man pushing an older woman in a wheelchair. I yelled at him and RAN after him. The whole time, my husband is YELLING at ME that I was wrong. I ran up to him and yelled at him to stop! I grabbed my luggage ... showed him the tag with MY name on it and walked away. My husband just shook his head .... ??? why? I was right!

I have had luggage lost/delayed on the way to a cruise, but since I had flown in early it was no big deal. It got delivered to the hotel I was staying at sometime in the middle of the night and I picked it up from the front desk the next morning. I've had airlines mis-route my luggage many times, but fortunately I've always gotten it back by the end of the next day (and usually by the next morning).

I have had luggage lost/delayed on the way to a cruise, but since I had flown in early it was no big deal. It got delivered to the hotel I was staying at sometime in the middle of the night and I picked it up from the front desk the next morning. I've had airlines mis-route my luggage many times, but fortunately I've always gotten it back by the end of the next day (and usually by the next morning).

We have had this too. We take a few items of clothing, swimsuit and flip flops in our cabin baggage, though. We have been fortunate the luggage has always appeared pre cruise...so far !

Last Easter, after a shut down at Atlanta airport when many bags were 'backed up', we made the mistake of saying we had four nights at the hotel, pre cruise. Tracked bags to FLL, so knew they were there..Bags arrived on the third night...an anxious couple of days. Suppose they delivered to those with less time. We were able to purchase a few items at Harbor Shops area and Galleria Mall...just in case !

I arrived in Amsterdam 4 days ahead of a cruise, and it took 3 days for my luggage to catch up to me. I had literally left one store where I bought toiletries and was crossing the street to go to a department store when the hotel called and told me my bag had arrived.

I figured I had a day in a big city with lots of options to get myself sorted out. I was not going to spend the rest of my vacation cycling between the same 2 shirts.

I've had luggage that apparently flew on another plane to the one I was on, which I thought was pretty much impossible these days? All the bags for our flight came off the carousel except ours, leaving DW and I scratching our heads. I started to look around baggage claim for someone to start the complaint process with and noticed a couple of bags with luggage straps just like ours in a roped off area about 50 feet away. Sure enough, those were our bags. That's the closest I've ever come to having bags lost, and the closest I ever want to get!

Due to messed up connections, our luggage did not make it onto a flight from LA to Auckland, NZ. Two different airlines were involved but we got two suitcases after being on the ship for two days and the third finally showed up after three days. We actually sat on our balcony and saw it unloaded from the trunk of a taxi.

This was the trip where we learned 1) fly in a day or two before a cruise, and 2) cross pack. The first two suitcases contained all my stuff and the third my husband's.

I have had bags not make it with me. Worst was 6 days without luggage, and that time, it did not show up until the evening before I left that location. Most times I had it within 24 - 48 hours.

If your luggage does not arrive, the airline is responsible to pay for "reasonable" expenses up to some limit. The limit varies based on what rules apply (US versus EU, etc). They used to give you X amount, now most allow you to spend what you need (up to the limit) and submit copies of the receipts for reimbursement.

Make SURE you insist on documenting the luggage and be told how to get your money or reimbursement.

I carry some basic stuff in my carry on. A toothbrush, comb, medications. Also, depending on where I am going, I may carry a spare shirt, underwear, socks in my carry on.

When we were on Celebrity Eclipse, the fellow in the cabin next door to us never received his luggage for the entire 13 night cruise. He was a Brit and we had departed from Southampton, so somehow it didn't get loaded on the ship. There is a men's store onboard the ship with trousers, shirts, shorts and just about anything a man might need, but he refused to buy anything and just wore the same shorts and T-shirt for the entire cruise.

After seeing that incident, my husband and I crosspack - half my stuff in his suitcase and half his stuff in mine and I also carry a change of clothing in my carryon, just in case. I also think out what I'm going to wear on the plane, so that what I wear on the plane and have in my carryon can be turned into 3-4 different outfits.

On a Prinsendam TA we boarded in Rome in November we met a couple from Sweden who had boarded two weeks earlier in Athens - as passengers escaping the northern winter and staying aboard until April - their luggage had gone astray and they were living out of their carry-ons - and relying on daily laundry service. Their bags caught up with the ship in Lisbon - our last stop before crossing. They were SOOOOOO happy.

On a Prinsendam TA we boarded in Rome in November we met a couple from Sweden who had boarded two weeks earlier in Athens - as passengers escaping the northern winter and staying aboard until April - their luggage had gone astray and they were living out of their carry-ons - and relying on daily laundry service. Their bags caught up with the ship in Lisbon - our last stop before crossing. They were SOOOOOO happy.

Wow. :eek: It's just amazing it caught up with them at all.

We had the joy of no luggage for 21 days in the med including a 12 day Princess cruise. Lufthansa had a luggage strike before we flew but everything was so backed up that ours just went into the black hole in Frankfurt. We were probably half way through the cruise before Princess tracked it to the Hyatt in CDG which is where we spent the first night of the trip and thank goodness we’d booked it for our last night. Things were challenging but we survived. Princess were excellent

NONE of our luggage was delivered on a 7 day cruise out of Ft Lauderdale. Delta didn't put it on the plane and and it did not arrive on one of the later flights in time before the ship sailed. We let Delta know we were on a cruise and headed to the ship.

All my wife and I had was the clothes we were wearing and some of her toiletries and our bathing suits that were packed in the carry on.

When we got to the ship we let them know our luggage was lost by the airline and they said they would keep us informed. Late that night we got a call that our bags would be delivered the next day at our first port stop.

We didn't stop there due to some issue, weather I think. So our bags were forwarded to the next port, there was a sea day in between. We didn't make that stop either because a medical emergency forced us to make an unscheduled stop on the sea day and the cruise line decided to just head to the final port where we were told our bags would be waiting.

Sure enough late in the evening of day 5 of the cruise we got our luggage.

The cruise line had given us a pair of shorts and a t-shirt that identified us to the crew as luggage challenged. We were treated well by the crew whenever we were seen in our shirts. We alternated between that outfit and our flying outfit washing in the sink.

That was the last trip we flew the day of departure. That was the last trip we didn't pack at least a change of clothes and some extra underwear and socks in our carry on.

We got to know the Hotel Director on a ship. He was from Buffalo, NY but lived in South America, in Uruguay. His wife joined him on a cruise in August and always brought extra suitcases. She would buy things here that she couldn't get in Uruguay. Once when she got home 2 of her 3 bags were lost. She got #2 in September. #3 finally turned up in Texas! No one could figure out why 2 bags were lost but she finally got all 3 suitcases!