Royal Caribbean Cruise Terminal Cozumel Fraud Jewelry

Had to make everybody aware of this. Many people know about the problems with Jewelry in Cozumel but my Aunt recently bought a diamond ring inside the Royal Caribbean Cruise Terminal. It cost $800 which is about $799 more than it is worth. They are trying to get their money back from the credit card company and PROFECTO in Mexico but please be careful.

I told them to walk away but they insisted on buying it. The Jeweler insisted on cash but they refused, thankfully.

This is not a jewelry shop recommended by Royal Caribbean so there was no guarantee with them. The gentlemen who owns the store owns several in there so personally I would buy NOTHING other than tourist tat from that terminal.

Unfortunately typical Mexico rip offs . We learned years ago not to buy anything of real value that we don't understand when in Mexico

Even when you know the money exchange rates there are establishments that will give you less value . The moral is always use a credit card with out a foreign exchange rate & you too will then get the right values :cool:

It is beyond my comprehension as to why someone would buy jewelry in another country as opposed to their own local jewelry store.....where they have to "maintain" their reputation and if you have a problem, you can just jump in your car and pay them a visit.

People seem to think the Islands have better prices and values. When I see someone post "I just bought a diamond bracelet for $2000 and it appraised for $4000", I just cringe. Old saying folks....IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE....

We got a really good deal on a engagement ring a long time ago in St. Thomas, great store. Also pretty sure we got ripped off other times, wife bought some stuff a few months ago in Cozumel, started at 800 got down to 300, she liked it so we said we pay 150, they said no, walked away , when we got about a hundred feet away they yelled saying we could have it for 150.

It is beyond my comprehension as to why someone would buy jewelry in another country as opposed to their own local jewelry store.....where they have to "maintain" their reputation and if you have a problem, you can just jump in your car and pay them a visit.

People seem to think the Islands have better prices and values. When I see someone post "I just bought a diamond bracelet for $2000 and it appraised for $4000", I just cringe. Old saying folks....IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE....

Because there ARE good deals in other countries. Especially stones that are native to that country. Like buying emeralds in Colombia.

BUT, as always, it is buyer beware. You need to have a trusted contact to direct you to a trusted store. The prices will be a bit higher than other stores, but you can trust them. If you do not have this, you REALLY need to know what you are doing.

Also, it is best to buy things that you know, even with a trusted store. Although, I have found more of the selling you a poor quality piece (at an appropriate price) rather than showing you the good stuff, IN THE TRUSTED STORE.

I have bought stones and jewelry around the world, and everything I have had appraised (formal, paid appraisal, at a qualty US jewelry store), has appraised for at least double and sometimes as much as 4 times what I paid.

We got a really good deal on a engagement ring a long time ago in St. Thomas, great store. Also pretty sure we got ripped off other times, wife bought some stuff a few months ago in Cozumel, started at 800 got down to 300, she liked it so we said we pay 150, they said no, walked away , when we got about a hundred feet away they yelled saying we could have it for 150.

Then that was a good price. :)

I have the 10 step rule. If they let me get 10 steps away before calling me back, I am paying the best price. :D

If they agree immediately, I may be paying more than I should.

But in some cases, the initial price may be quite good. So my rule of thumb is offer 1/3 - 1/2 of the asking price, and if I want the time, I typically will pay 1/2 - 2/3 the asking price. I get a good deal, and they make some money.

It depends on the country and the item.

Although I have bought things I did not really want, as I lowballed my offer to get rid of them, and they eventually agreed. I was in West Africa, and we went to a shopping area. As soon as we arrived, this guy wanted to sell me a set of the three monkeys (hear no evil, etc). So I asked how much. He says $20. I told him I would pay $1. He went away mad. GOOD.

Later he comes up and drops his price, I again tell him $1, and he goes away mad. This happened several times. We were getting into the car to leave, and he comes up and says, "OK, $1." So I bought them. :D

• 2 months later...

I was scammed by Beto's Joyeria, which is right off the dock when you exit the ships. I was told the ring I bought was 14k white gold. It's silver, maybe even silver-plate. I called my credit card company, and since I didn't get an appraisal, I don't have any recourse. I feel stupid for buying something at a price that was "too good to be true"... I am filing a complaint with the Mexican authorities, but from what I read online I am hopelessly scammed.

Don't buy jewelry in the Caribbean. Google it. Even the "recommended" stores have ripped off many.

This is from 10 years ago but it probably still applies, judging from the various complaints online.

"The government consumer protection agency, PROFECO, is warning about the jewelry sold in many stores in Cozumel. the local director ,Ariadne Choral Santín, indicated "that this it is not a problem that can be adjudged to two or three jewelry shops, but that the great majority is committing these illicit sales, which is affecting all Cozumel."

"Many retailers are doing this, since they have realized of which it is a fast form to make business, inducing to the deceit to the tourists, selling to them things that a value very much below the real one , allowing them to sell to more than the thousand percent of his real cost", she states."

I bought a 'silver' ring there once for $25 it's probably silver plated nickel.

Edited by marci22

Sadly, its very buyer beware. For me, I buy a decent watch every cruise as my "souvenir". Nothing too expensive but nice. For example I got a Citizen eco-drive last year. What I'll do though is pre shop before the cruise for three or four I am looking for. I'll get a price I'm willing to pay but I will also get a list of brand authorized sellers in each port. And I'll only consider buying from them.

Last year I wanted an eco-drive. In St. Maarten there was an authorized dealer but they didn't have what I wanted. There were also several other shops selling them but some looked really skeevy. I ended up buying mine at Kay's Fine Jewelry in St. Kitts. I do recommend them.

Know before you go.

Since when does RCI have its own terminal with shops inside in Cozumel? :confused:

That was exactly my thinking when I first read that....Huh??!!

What RCI cruise terminal in Cozumel? :confused::o

Ships dock there...don't know of a terminal. Noticed this was the OPs first post and never

came back on.

There are three prices on diamonds.

The first is the price you paid. For example $2000.

The second is the appraised. For example $4000.

The third is what the guy who appraised it will actually pay you for the diamond, maybe $500.

Sadly, its very buyer beware. For me, I buy a decent watch every cruise as my "souvenir". Nothing too expensive but nice. For example I got a Citizen eco-drive last year. What I'll do though is pre shop before the cruise for three or four I am looking for. I'll get a price I'm willing to pay but I will also get a list of brand authorized sellers in each port. And I'll only consider buying from them.

Last year I wanted an eco-drive. In St. Maarten there was an authorized dealer but they didn't have what I wanted. There were also several other shops selling them but some looked really skeevy. I ended up buying mine at Kay's Fine Jewelry in St. Kitts. I do recommend them.

Know before you go.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about a watch purchase on a cruise ship. One of those watches with lots of dials and knobs. No manual. The purchaser took it to a jewelry store only to learn the knobs were there only for show and they did not connect to anything.

Some friends got some really good deals on suits bought in Asia. Fell apart the first time they were cleaned. Cheap thread.

When I'm buying jewelry in a foreign port, it's not as an investment, but because I really like it. I am fully aware that, if I'm paying the low prices they will barter down to, I may not be getting the highest quality. But, if I feel good wearing it, I just don't care.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about a watch purchase on a cruise ship. One of those watches with lots of dials and knobs. No manual. The purchaser took it to a jewelry store only to learn the knobs were there only for show and they did not connect to anything.

THe watch prices on the ship are not very good. Even the discount they offer doesn't get close to the real price. Now with last years watch, my buddy traveling with me loved it. (It was a Navy Blue Angels edition and he was a Navy pilot in his younger days). He took me, with the watch on, and my purchase receipts to the ship store and after several manager reviews, they did match the price. It was roughly 50% discount off their "sale" price. It was nice to see that RCL stood behind their "we match any offer" policy. Actually, other than the way we were able to do it, I don't know how they would ever have to match a price. They insist on a written offer, and no island jewelry store will give you one.

citizen-jy8031-56l-navihawk-a-t-mens-chronograph-quartz-watch-2.jpg

When I'm buying jewelry in a foreign port, it's not as an investment, but because I really like it. I am fully aware that, if I'm paying the low prices they will barter down to, I may not be getting the highest quality. But, if I feel good wearing it, I just don't care.

You must live at yard sales.

Jimbo:)

Had to make everybody aware of this. Many people know about the problems with Jewelry in Cozumel but my Aunt recently bought a diamond ring inside the Royal Caribbean Cruise Terminal. It cost $800 which is about $799 more than it is worth. They are trying to get their money back from the credit card company and PROFECTO in Mexico but please be careful.

I told them to walk away but they insisted on buying it. The Jeweler insisted on cash but they refused, thankfully.

This is not a jewelry shop recommended by Royal Caribbean so there was no guarantee with them. The gentlemen who owns the store owns several in there so personally I would buy NOTHING other than tourist tat from that terminal.

Sorry for your issues but just as a point of clarification, as Biker19 and island lady referenced RCI does not have a cruise terminal in Cozumel - they simply dock at a commercial pier there along with several other cruise lines. The shops at the head of the pier area past the security checkpoint are all privately owned and not affiliated with the cruise lines. As such, buyer beware. Your post IMO implies an affiliation with RCI which is inaccurate and misleading.