Verandah Essential Alaska

Tiggipaws

we had a balcony and only used it once. I really enjoyed renting a lido cabana for the week. you had a "base camp" during the day and a big window to watch the scenery as well as easy access to miter decks. the service and treats they bring are a bonus. next time I would do an inside and rent a cabana.

Don't want to stray off topic but do they have heaters in the cabanas? I know they are open to the air, but a heater would be great for my cold sensitive friend.

We booked an aft corner suite and both agreed after that it was a waste of money. It was just too cold to be outside. I think I’d want a balcony just for the looking down into the water and feeling the air, briefly!

My husband likes to spend a lot of time in the cabin. If you are a person who likes to be out and about, I don’t think it really would be necessary. But I’d personally want a window at least.

I was prepared for and expected it to be cold and rainy. But once I got there even though I was expecting it, just how cold and just how wet surprised me.

Yeah, it's the cold and wet together that gets to you. That's why we loved having a balcony on our "liquid sunshine" cruise. Warmth was a few steps away. On our first Alaska cruise we had a corner aft and beautiful weather for enjoying it. But even so, in Glacier bay we took "inside breaks" from time to time.

Yes. Absolutely. Even if the weather is cold and rainy, the floor-to-ceiling window lets in views you wouldn't get without the balcony. Waking up to those views in the morning, taking in the sights when getting ready for dinner, wandering out to your own balcony when pulling in to port, and taking in the views one last time before going to bed (because it's still light outside) are parts of your cruise that you will miss if you don't have a balcony.

I agree completely. I can't get enough of the the scenery on an Alaskan cruise. Though I do spend time on the outside decks enjoying same with other folks, it's nice to be able to step out onto the verandah when back in the cabin to look for whales or sheep on a rocky crag as the scenery glides by while drinking an Alaskan Amber ;).

On my Alaska cruise, the ship was slowly spun around for about an hour so everyone could get awesome views of the glacier and it’s calving....even those who were viewing from their balconies!!!!! Priceless!!!!!!! A balcony is a must in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

go with what you can afford

Price of accommodation in this case shouldn't be a factor. It's more about quality of view, especially for Alaska. The point that a Veranda view might, in fact, be more restrictive than say the Crow's Nest or outside decks is well taken.

We booked our first oceanview cabin (after many, many balconies) on our Amsterdam 14-day Alaska cruise and never missed the balcony/verandah.

One factor was that Amsterdam's balcony cabins are classified and priced as "Vista Suites" so the upcharge from an OV wasn't small.

Yes. Absolutely. Even if the weather is cold and rainy, the floor-to-ceiling window lets in views you wouldn't get without the balcony. Waking up to those views in the morning, taking in the sights when getting ready for dinner, wandering out to your own balcony when pulling in to port, and taking in the views one last time before going to bed (because it's still light outside) are parts of your cruise that you will miss if you don't have a balcony.

While I definitely agree with your comments here, it seems that they are more about balconies in general, rather that specifically their necessity for an Alaska cruise; which is the OP's question.

A preferred cabin category in general? Yes, IMHO... depending on price of course.

Essential for an Alaska cruise, probably not. And your outside deck, Crow's Nest, Silk Den Bar, etc. views may in fact be better! :)

Unless it was a good deal I'd forgo the balcony even though I used it extensively on my Alaska cruise.

However If the Kdam ever does Alaska, I would consider the difference with the promenade deck. Actually if it was a choice, I'd probably just choose another ship.

I have also ruled out the K-dam if it ever does Alaska. I think it would be a mistake for HAL to send it there and disappoint the many promenade wildlife/scenery fans.

Don't want to stray off topic but do they have heaters in the cabanas? I know they are open to the air, but a heater would be great for my cold sensitive friend.

no heaters....we were inside in the lido cabanas so it is the same temperature as the covered area around the pool. definitely not warm for most of the cruise but comfortable while I was wearing tights and a hoodie and socks.

no heaters....we were inside in the lido cabanas so it is the same temperature as the covered area around the pool. definitely not warm for most of the cruise but comfortable while I was wearing tights and a hoodie and socks.

Thanks.....guess I will have to rule that out for my cold sensitive friend. We are going to check out the Tamarind Bar when we board the Eurodam for cold weather viewing.

On my Alaska cruise, the ship was slowly spun around for about an hour so everyone could get awesome views of the glacier and it’s calving....even those who were viewing from their balconies!!!!! Priceless!!!!!!! A balcony is a must in my opinion.
We had a balcony on our last Alaskan cruise due to a free upgrade. It was great to have one, but I don't think it would be worth the cost. Fortunately, our balcony was above the bow of the ship. When the captain turned the ship from side to side, we kept our view of the glacier. He did not do a 360.

On previous cruises, we enjoyed watching the scenery from the various open decks. The Promenade Deck was our favorite. When the captain turned the ship, we'd switch sides.

We are going to check out the Tamarind Bar when we board the Eurodam for cold weather viewing.

Good choice. The forward view is not quite as good as that from the Crow's Nest, but not bad at all. Some of the seats are easy enough for your friend to get to in a wheelchair, while others are more tightly spaced. Seating is at a premium, though.

Good morning,

We've been on the 14-day on the Amsterdam four times (yes, we love it!). The first time was in a balcony cabin because it was the first season for this itinerary and the price for a balcony was very reasonable. The other three times have been in an OV - the same one all three times (HC 3421). Since the price of a balcony is double that of an OV, no - a balcony is not critical. The views from the promenade deck are wonderful and it's not that far to duck back inside. The Amsterdam is also being retrofitted after the World Cruise to have Lanai Cabins and that might be a nice compromise as they aren't too much higher than an OV.

This itinerary is wonderful! We'll probably do it again in 2019 as we so enjoy Homer and Kodiak as well as Anchorage.

Karen

We have enjoyed Alaska cruises three times on three different cruise lines with balconies all three times. We wouldn't cruise without one and used our balcony extensively on each cruise. I agree it's not necessary and is strictly a personal preference.

My wife took some beautiful pictures from our balcony for her website which you can see at the link below.

We also got out and around on the outside decks to get the full views.

We enjoyed our 14 day Alaska cruise on the Maasdam so much we are going again in 2019. I think the Amsterdam is doing that itinerary.

Have a great cruise. It's a wonderful way to travel!!

While I definitely agree with your comments here, it seems that they are more about balconies in general, rather that specifically their necessity for an Alaska cruise; which is the OP's question.

No, my comments were specific for Alaska because there is almost always scenery rather than open ocean. I also mentioned how it's still light out at night.

I do agree that balconies are always nice, but I could not imagine cruising Alaska without one. This, for example...taking it in every night before bedtime.

enhance

enhance

Edited by Aquahound

No, my comments were specific for Alaska because there is almost always scenery rather than open ocean. I also mentioned how it's still light out at night.

I do agree that balconies are always nice, but I could not imagine cruising Alaska without one. This, for example...taking it in every night before bedtime.

enhance

enhance

Beautiful photos!:)

enhance

enhance

In my experience, that is a great time to see Orcas. We have one of those forward angled HC verandah cabins booked. This will be my handicapped friends fourth cruise to Alaska and has still not seen an Orca...hopefully this time!

I don't think a balcony is ever "essential" but it sure is nice. While we have had a few interior cabins when cruising in the Caribbean, most of our cruises have been with a balcony. I loved having a balcony in Alaska. The first thing I did every morning was open the drapes and look to see if I could spot any whales, orcas or any other wildlife. Often I did, and then it was out onto the balcony with my binoculars and camera. We didn't spend a lot of time in our cabin, but when we were there getting ready for our day, for dinner, etc., we were always on the look out for anything interesting. And we saw lots!!

Plus the scenery is so beautiful! We loved the balcony for Alaska, and would always want one for any cruise with lots of scenic cruising.

Good choice. The forward view is not quite as good as that from the Crow's Nest, but not bad at all. Some of the seats are easy enough for your friend to get to in a wheelchair, while others are more tightly spaced. Seating is at a premium, though.

Just have my fingers crossed most people choose the Crow's Nest. :)

A verandah is not essential. If it is within your budget it is nice to have but you can enjoy wonderful views from the public decks.

If you will cut back on excursions because of spending additional money for the verandah don't do a verandah.

Keith

For those saying the open decks are so good (like it never rains in Alaska), I recommend the Alaska Marine Hwy ferries. You can pitch a tent on deck and have those wonderful views 24/7.

For those who prefer comfortable accommodations, I recommend an actual cruise ship and a balcony stateroom.

For those saying the open decks are so good (like it never rains in Alaska), I recommend the Alaska Marine Hwy ferries. You can pitch a tent on deck and have those wonderful views 24/7.

There's plenty of open deck space with sufficient overhang that allows passengers to be outside while sheltered from the rain. There's even great places the shelter from the wind.

No need to give up the cruise ship and take the ferry, unless that's what you want. And no need to belittle those passengers who don't want a balcony (for whatever reason.)

No need to give up the cruise ship and take the ferry, unless that's what you want. And no need to belittle those passengers who don't want a balcony (for whatever reason.)

Thank you! If we had waited until we could afford the extra expense of a balcony, we likely would not have gotten to Alaska yet. Or we would not have experienced some of the fabulous shore excursions available in Alaska.