Verandah Essential Alaska

Tiggipaws

It's nice to have a veranda is not essential. However, if you like to sit in your cabinet your at the end of the day and gaze at the scenery passing by, then you would enjoy one. Remember it is light until very late in Alaska. The Crow's Nest and outside decks offer beautiful views as well. Enjoy your cruise.

Absolutely not essential. Desirable? Perhaps, but not a requirement for having a good time.

The best views are always expansive, and usually on the other side of the ship. Outside public decks give you the opportunity to sit, relax, and take it all in.

Find a few places that give you the kind of views, in the kind of comfort, you want. Then pick a favorite place and make camp there.

No, certainly not in our experience. And we always book a verandah. We did not on our Alaska cruise because we did a late booking and scored a great deal on a ocean view. Like others have said, the best views are on deck.

Save your money and put it towards your next cruise or more travel!

We have done the 14 day Alaska Itinerary 3 times in a Lower Prom obstructed (HH) under the MDR and found it to be perfect! The best views are on the open upper deck for the spectacular panorama. We have done two 7 day Alaska's in a verandah...cold and rainy. Save your money for the very expensive shore excursions!

Enjoy your cruise..it is fantastic, especially the Hubbard Glacier.

Karen

I wouldn't go without one. On our trip this summer, it rained nearly every day, and the two glacier viewing days were cold and raw. It was nice to be able to go outside for a while and be under cover, and then run back into our cabin. I know we didn't get to see as much as if we were on the open decks and could go back and forth, but we were comfortable, and that counts for a lot, especially for DH who really feels the cold.

it is not "necessary" to have a balcony/ verandah if it effects your ability to go on the trip but many of us enjoy them a lot.......if you are going during early or late season it could effect how much you use them as weather can be colder and sometimes more rainy........go with what you can afford

When are you going? In May, June and September it is usually too chilly to be outside without warm clothes. Just my opinion, but if I am dressed up for cool/cold weather I prefer to be out walking around, not (sitting) on a balcony.

However, the full length window makes private viewing really comfortable from inside in any weather.

After we did our first verandah we couldn't go back. So even though it's a bit more, we have one for our May Alaska cruise. Cold weather isn't a big deal and May temps in Alaska aren't bad. But crammed on the outside decks while we can sit comfortably on our verandah isn't hard to choose. The verandah cabins on the older ships are much larger than the standard verandah on their newer ships.

But is it necessary? Relative term to each person. For us it is.

Dan

For me, yes. I don't always want to be with other people. But it is definitely a personal choice. If it meant not going, I would book an inside (oceanview for me is a waste) but if there is a choice I will always go for the cabin that offers a private outdoor space.

We booked an aft corner suite and both agreed after that it was a waste of money. It was just too cold to be outside. I think I’d want a balcony just for the looking down into the water and feeling the air, briefly!

My husband likes to spend a lot of time in the cabin. If you are a person who likes to be out and about, I don’t think it really would be necessary. But I’d personally want a window at least.

I was prepared for and expected it to be cold and rainy. But once I got there even though I was expecting it, just how cold and just how wet surprised me.

Lookng at 14 day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam, is a verandah essential?

Yes. Absolutely. Even if the weather is cold and rainy, the floor-to-ceiling window lets in views you wouldn't get without the balcony. Waking up to those views in the morning, taking in the sights when getting ready for dinner, wandering out to your own balcony when pulling in to port, and taking in the views one last time before going to bed (because it's still light outside) are parts of your cruise that you will miss if you don't have a balcony.

Yes. Absolutely. Even if the weather is cold and rainy, the floor-to-ceiling window lets in views you wouldn't get without the balcony. Waking up to those views in the morning, taking in the sights when getting ready for dinner, wandering out to your own balcony when pulling in to port, and taking in the views one last time before going to bed (because it's still light outside) are parts of your cruise that you will miss if you don't have a balcony.

That is the way I look at it. I travel with handicap person that needs help bathing and dressing. One of our best memories on the Amsterdam was being able to go through his morning routine and still be able to look through that floor to ceiling glass as we entered Glacier Bay. It was a beautiful morning with a low hanging fog bank with the water beneath sparkling with the sun. Later we had a bright sunny day and ended up doffing our coats because it was so warm at the glacier. It is impossible to describe the sheer beauty.

we had a balcony and only used it once. I really enjoyed renting a lido cabana for the week. you had a "base camp" during the day and a big window to watch the scenery as well as easy access to miter decks. the service and treats they bring are a bonus. next time I would do an inside and rent a cabana.