2 new ships for 2023 and 2025

dub237

Fincantieri has signed a memorandum of agreement (MoA) with Princess Cruises for the construction of two next-generation 175,000-ton cruise ships which will be the largest ships built so far in Italy with deliveries scheduled in Monfalcone in late 2023 and in spring 2025.

The vessels will accommodate approximately 4,300 guests and will be based on a next-generation platform design, being the first Princess Cruises’ ships to be dual-fuel powered primarily by Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).

“This revolutionary platform for next-generation, LNG-powered cruise ships will introduce innovative design and leisure experiences driven by the future vacation and lifestyle trends of our guests – further evolving the already best-in-class Princess Cruises experience we deliver today. We look forward to collaborating with Fincantieri to bring our vision for this next-generation premium cruise ship into service," said Jan Swartz, President of Princess Cruises.

While commenting the announcement, Giuseppe Bono, CEO of Fincantieri, stated: “We are proud to further extend our long-established partnership with Princess Cruises, a brand we are indeed tied to since our comeback to the cruise ship industry in 1990. After so many years, we are getting ready to enter, together, into a new era of our industry, increasingly aimed at reducing environmental impact. We proudly do this with an all-time record project, both in terms of size and technological level”. Bono concluded: “We believe that there are no more significant milestones than these to reaffirm the market-leading positions we achieved. They allow us to keep a solid partnership between our country and the Carnival group - the largest foreign investor in Italy - and at the same time to maintain know-how and increase employment."

Source : http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com

Edited by dub237

we did b2b on the NCL Getaway .. I found the ship too big and impersonal with the staff .. the washrooms were too far in between and too much walking for us older folks.. no I made up my mind I'll stay with the older ships...

Wonder about differences with the Royal class

I agree. While I love the Royal class, unless they add significant capacity of public areas and extra pools this tips the scale the wrong way for me. The Royal class feels crowded on days with inclement or cold weather when everyone is in the piazza.

I’ve sailed on RC’s Oasis class and while I wouldn’t run to do it again, they did have many venues and both indoor and outdoor options so most often did not feel overly crowded, considering the number of passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

we did b2b on the NCL Getaway .. I found the ship too big and impersonal with the staff .. the washrooms were too far in between and too much walking for us older folks.. no I made up my mind I'll stay with the older ships...

They're disappearing along with the older folks faster then ever.

NCLs big ships feel very crowded I hear. RCL does them much better if that’s true. Hopefully they will have an outdoor promenade deck you can walk around the whole ship by unlike sky. Helps with congestion and nice views in places like Alaska. I doubt that though. They’ve got to be able to put more staterooms in.

I’m 29 years old, if I want all the other junk on there I’ll take my family to Disney, six flags, pigeon forge, or whatever. Maybe I’m older than my age but I like the more traditional type cruise. Why I booking princess and not RCL even though I’m closer to statuses there.

While I know that LNG powered ships are ecologically much better than oil burning ships I just feel more than a little unhappy about sitting on a huge gas tank of highly compressed liquid gas.

I have had experience of liquefied gas leaks on vehicles years ago and its not fun or easy to deal with, and those were nothing like under the same pressure as LNG.

I don't think there would be likely ANY survivors if a cruise ship powered by LNG caught fire and blew up, it might well be like the munitions ship explosion in Halifax where parts of the ship were found 11 miles away...…….

I think I might be happier with a well designed nuclear fueled ship rather than liquefied natural gas, not by much though.

There doesn't seem to be any safety problems with the current oil fuel, polluting though it is.

We have just started cruising on Wind Surf which although diesel engined does use its sails as much as possible, slightly more ecologically friendly.

I say BOO! More "too big" Princess ships in the offing, and I'm sure they will be accompanied by "innovations" that mimic what other cruise lines are doing. That seems to be the thinking of the current upper tier of Princess management. Their "gotta keep up with the Jonses" mentality stinks, IMHO.

That's just plain depressing for someone who has done over 40 cruises with Princess and likes Princess just the way it is, including the ships that precede the Royal class. I would certainly never opt to book a cruise on anything that accommodates enough people to populate a small city. The Grand class ships are the biggest I would ever want to cruise on, while the diminutive Pacific Princess is my very favorite ship in the fleet.

So, Princess, when are you going to respond to your many long-term customers who love small-ship cruising, and contract to build more small (under 1000 passengers) ships?

Perhaps it will be time for me to try a river cruise by then. I've been debating trying them for some time. I left NCL for various reasons, including their superships. I'm beginning to think Princess may end up becoming another NCL. No thanks.

Perhaps it will be time for me to try a river cruise by then. I've been debating trying them for some time. I left NCL for various reasons, including their superships. I'm beginning to think Princess may end up becoming another NCL. No thanks.

After over 20 Princess cruises, we did our 1st river cruise a few years ago and totally loved it. Have done more since. After one cruise, we will not cruise on the Royal class again so these new ships do not excite us. We are also getting tired of the increased nickel and diming and incessant sales pitches on Princess and are thinking seriously of cancelling 2 Princess bookings in favor of a cruise on Viking Ocean.

We have thought of doing a river cruise but figure we would miss the onboard entertainment too much

After over 20 Princess cruises, we did our 1st river cruise a few years ago and totally loved it. Have done more since. After one cruise, we will not cruise on the Royal class again so these new ships do not excite us. We are also getting tired of the increased nickel and diming and incessant sales pitches on Princess and are thinking seriously of cancelling 2 Princess bookings in favor of a cruise on Viking Ocean.

I agree with you, but we looked at Viking Ocean and for us it seemed a lot more expense for not so much benefit, we just ignore the nickel and diming as much as possible.

Certainly for what savvy cruisers pay for Princess cruises then the base cruise fare can be a bargain.

I am not getting any good offers on Viking Ocean.

It is likely that similar negative reactions took place some twenty years ago when the Grand class was announced; perhaps by the same folks who are posting today. Likewise, I remember that the Royal class was met with a similar response by some. Why not wait to see what Princess has in mind for its new class of ship?

It is likely that similar negative reactions took place some twenty years ago when the Grand class was announced; perhaps by the same folks who are posting today. Likewise, I remember that the Royal class was met with a similar response by some. Why not wait to see what Princess has in mind for its new class of ship?

Do we have to wait?

I think we can anticipate more retail stores, more places for pax to increase their onboard spend, and less venue space for non-income producing events.

However I look forward to cruising on one and seeing what its like.

Although I have 71 cruises on every class of Princess ship since 1993 I do like NCL larger ships with great entertainment occasionally, as well as tiny ones like Wind Surf which has no entertainment. Variety is the spice of life?

I never found a Princess ship I wouldn't go on again except Crown, and that was service issues etc not the ship design.

Edited by Griller

Thanks for passing this news along.

Fincantieri has signed a memorandum of agreement (MoA) with Princess Cruises for the construction of two next-generation 175,000-ton cruise ships which will be the largest ships built so far in Italy with deliveries scheduled in Monfalcone in late 2023 and in spring 2025.

The vessels will accommodate approximately 4,300 guests and will be based on a next-generation platform design, being the first Princess Cruises’ ships to be dual-fuel powered primarily by Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).

“This revolutionary platform for next-generation, LNG-powered cruise ships will introduce innovative design and leisure experiences driven by the future vacation and lifestyle trends of our guests – further evolving the already best-in-class Princess Cruises experience we deliver today. We look forward to collaborating with Fincantieri to bring our vision for this next-generation premium cruise ship into service," said Jan Swartz, President of Princess Cruises.

While commenting the announcement, Giuseppe Bono, CEO of Fincantieri, stated: “We are proud to further extend our long-established partnership with Princess Cruises, a brand we are indeed tied to since our comeback to the cruise ship industry in 1990. After so many years, we are getting ready to enter, together, into a new era of our industry, increasingly aimed at reducing environmental impact. We proudly do this with an all-time record project, both in terms of size and technological level”. Bono concluded: “We believe that there are no more significant milestones than these to reaffirm the market-leading positions we achieved. They allow us to keep a solid partnership between our country and the Carnival group - the largest foreign investor in Italy - and at the same time to maintain know-how and increase employment."

Source : www.cruiseindustrynews.com

Here you, but industry has been heading in this direction for years. No reason to think anything has or will change