2 new ships for 2023 and 2025

dub237

Fincantieri has signed a memorandum of agreement (MoA) with Princess Cruises for the construction of two next-generation 175,000-ton cruise ships which will be the largest ships built so far in Italy with deliveries scheduled in Monfalcone in late 2023 and in spring 2025.

The vessels will accommodate approximately 4,300 guests and will be based on a next-generation platform design, being the first Princess Cruises’ ships to be dual-fuel powered primarily by Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).

“This revolutionary platform for next-generation, LNG-powered cruise ships will introduce innovative design and leisure experiences driven by the future vacation and lifestyle trends of our guests – further evolving the already best-in-class Princess Cruises experience we deliver today. We look forward to collaborating with Fincantieri to bring our vision for this next-generation premium cruise ship into service," said Jan Swartz, President of Princess Cruises.

While commenting the announcement, Giuseppe Bono, CEO of Fincantieri, stated: “We are proud to further extend our long-established partnership with Princess Cruises, a brand we are indeed tied to since our comeback to the cruise ship industry in 1990. After so many years, we are getting ready to enter, together, into a new era of our industry, increasingly aimed at reducing environmental impact. We proudly do this with an all-time record project, both in terms of size and technological level”. Bono concluded: “We believe that there are no more significant milestones than these to reaffirm the market-leading positions we achieved. They allow us to keep a solid partnership between our country and the Carnival group - the largest foreign investor in Italy - and at the same time to maintain know-how and increase employment."

Source : www.cruiseindustrynews.com

Sorry Princess, not interested unless you make the staterooms larger as well as the balconies without having to book a royal suite at an outrageous price. Every new ship you build results in more cramped space. I’m sure you’ll do the same on these new ships. Also, I bet you’ll try to emulate RCL with their mega ships with all sorts amusement rides.

For those of us that are “boomers”, it’s time to wake up and accept the fact that we are no longer the target demographics for the cruise industry. That’s OK. We still have money to spend on vacations which we are using on river cruises, upscale cruise lines, e.g., Oceana, Seaborne, etc.

See ya Princess👎

Sorry Princess, not interested unless you make the staterooms larger as well as the balconies without having to book a royal suite at an outrageous price. Every new ship you build results in more cramped space. I’m sure you’ll do the same on these new ships. Also, I bet you’ll try to emulate RCL with their mega ships with all sorts amusement rides.

For those of us that are “boomers”, it’s time to wake up and accept the fact that we are no longer the target demographics for the cruise industry. That’s OK. We still have money to spend on vacations which we are using on river cruises, upscale cruise lines, e.g., Oceana, Seaborne, etc.

See ya Princess👎

I'm a boomer and I'm so happy I have a different perspective. Don't forget to write. ;):D

While I don't like it either---too much walking for us---I totally understand the reasoning.

They go where the money is, and I suspect there are many more young cruisers than "oldsters" like me. :D

I am wondering how they will get those monsters into some favorite ports. Tenders??

I will probably never sail on them, as we cannot fly. We are trying out the Royal when it comes to the west coast.

Patti

While I don't like it either---too much walking for us---I totally understand the reasoning.

They go where the money is, and I suspect there are many more young cruisers than "oldsters" like me. :D

I am wondering how they will get those monsters into some favorite ports. Tenders??

I will probably never sail on them, as we cannot fly. We are trying out the Royal when it comes to the west coast.

Patti

You might be pleasantly surprised after sailing the Royal even though some folks can't seem to stand it.

Royal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Princess_(2013)

Capacity:3,600 passengers

They are clearly getting bigger and bigger.

CABIN count. Someone above posted the cabin count. IF I read it correctly, it looks like it's about the same. Am I reading it wrong? I'm just thinking that Royal and Sky are about the same.. more or less. I guess we'll have to wait for more details.

From post above:

meh - doesn't sound any/much different from SKY

The ship will feature 1,780 guest cabins, which can accommodate 4,250 passengers. It will also include more than 750 crew cabins. Staterooms will feature contemporary design incorporating luxury beds.

Accommodation categories include 36 suites, 374 mini suites, 1,028 balcony staterooms and 342 inside cabins. The total accommodation capacity of the ship will be approximately 5,600 passengers, including crew.

Deck plans!!!

Are these, two more floating 'cracker boxes' of balcony staterooms stacked like plastic milk crates along the sides fore and aft, with no 'wrap around' promenade deck, a poor passenger/space ratio, and designed solely to get pax to spend money once on board?

Deck plans!!!

Are these, two more floating 'cracker boxes' of balcony staterooms stacked like plastic milk crates along the sides fore and aft, with no 'wrap around' promenade deck, a poor passenger/space ratio, and designed solely to get pax to spend money once on board?

I was thinking more of a really tall apartment block which looks like it would blow over in a strong wind...……………………….and then all your other points

I remember being stuck in a modified Grand Class Princess ship in Reykavik once overnight as it had an extra deck of cabins and therefore was so adversely affected by wind we couldn't get away from the dock let alone out of the harbor even with several tugs assisting the thrusters.

They have to think who their target market is for the future. I...the first of the baby boomers..Feb 1946....like the royal class but on many cruises on various sized ships I never run out of things to do....so many things are going on at once. Most 30-60 year olds don’t have the time, money etc to take a cruise longer than a week or two. Are they aiming for this market? Many baby boomers have time and money to cruise for three or four weeks and the generation is who will be cruising for the next 20 years or so....thus no Disneyland please! Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

4300 not 4500

The problem is not the number of passengers on the ship.

The problem is that ships of this size cannot go to many of the ports that smaller ships can. The Royal class, for example, rarely actually goes to Stockholm itself like the Grand class could.

The problem is the number of passengers that go ashore. When they do go to some of the ports that smaller ships can, the tourist infrastructure may not able to provide a satisfactory onshore experience for all that want to go ashore.

Personally, itineraries that take this size ship to just St. Maarten, St. Thomas and a private island are not the cruise vacation I am looking for.

I suppose the one consolation for me is that my cruising will probably reduce quite a bit over the next few years, so there is a fair chance I will not become exposed to these newer/larger ships. I don't need or want theme parks on my cruises but then again I am sure there are those that do. As many have said what is included will be determined by just how much money can be made from them. Give me Golden, Sapphire, Diamond anytime. They are about the right size for me.

I could be mistaken, but isn't the cabin count about the same as the Royal/Regal, etc? 1780 cabins in the Royal. But so many want to focus on a potential negative.

No intention to focus on anything negative. Simply expressing my personal opinion which is that I prefer the smaller ships with fewer passengers. Princess will do what Princess will do and I will sail the ships I choose.

It would be nice to see a few new features on the new ships but I'll just be happy to see the older ships slowly phased out.

Maybe they can even incorporate some corrections to the oversights they built into the Royal class ships and make them even better. ;)

well, blah. i'm not a fan of the royal class so i doubt i'll like an even bigger ship.

for me it is the number of passengers which translates to line ups, limited theatre seating, slow embarking and disembarking in ports, tendering...

i agree with caribill about the limited ports it can access. i don't like docking an hour away.

i am one of the post baby boomers bobby3334 spoke about and these new ships are not what i'm looking for.

It would be nice to see a few new features on the new ships but I'll just be happy to see the older ships slowly phased out.

Maybe they can even incorporate some corrections to the oversights they built into the Royal class ships and make them even better. ;)

While sitting in the waiting area to board the Emerald on a BVE, I chatted with a woman who works for Princess, Corporate. She indicated that the Sky will be like the Majestic, but they are taking in all of the feedback received for the future ships, such as a promenade deck and larger balconies.

While sitting in the waiting area to board the Emerald on a BVE, I chatted with a woman who works for Princess, Corporate. She indicated that the Sky will be like the Majestic, but they are taking in all of the feedback received for the future ships, such as a promenade deck and larger balconies.

I'm sure they are, and then building what is most economical, and what will generate the most profit, regardless of feedback. Your feedback has impact when you stop cruising the line that you are disenchanted with.

It is likely that similar negative reactions took place some twenty years ago when the Grand class was announced; perhaps by the same folks who are posting today. Likewise, I remember that the Royal class was met with a similar response by some. Why not wait to see what Princess has in mind for its new class of ship?

Agree with the above! We need to wait and see.

At this point we'll keep an open mind. :)

And when the Royal came out it did not have a central staircase. And the feedback was negative to say the least. My understanding is based on the enormous negative feedback received by Princess they did install the central staircase during a dry dock. So to some extent I do believe they make changes based on customer feedback.

For those who like the smaller, older ships, I would view the release of new ships as a positive. So many people want the new, shiny ship to sail on for a new experience. Seems the new ships also come with a higher cruising price tag, so those on similar itineraries with older ships may see a price drop.

I'm seeing an overwhelming number of people condemning these ships based purely on size and comparing them to larger ships on other lines. Personally, I think Princess has always done a better job (for the most part) of designing their ships in a way to keep them from feeling like huge ships. Didn't they used to be known for 'big ship with small ship feel'? Or am I confusing that with someone else?

Princess doesn't do 12-deck atriums and 3-deck dining rooms. There will always be times and places when it's overwhelmingly crowded depending on what's going on. But I think overall, Princess does a better job designing ships for their intended audience. There will always be features that someone wishes they had not changed or would change. They can't please everyone all the time.

Personally, I look forward to seeing what they do with a larger ship. If you don't like larger ships, don't sail on them. But don't condemn them until you try them, or at the very least, see a deck plan. I think increasing their fleet to include different sizes and types of ships can only help Princess. I'd like to see a wider variety of people on board and develop an interest in Princess Cruises.