Who pulls the kids out of school to cruise?

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:14 PM.
#61
Cincinnati
3,712 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by 4olivers
One year not several years.... big difference!


Sent from my iPad using Forums


It’s one year this year. If it works out well, why not next year... and the year after...


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#62
18,979 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
The people that I really feel for when parents pull kids out of school for things like vacations are the teachers. They are all over worked, and under paid, and all this selfish behavior does is causes them more work. Hopefully if you pull your kids from school you will remember ALL of their teachers and bring them expensive thank you gifts.

There are advantages to teaching at the college level. You get to set your own attendance policies, and a student who misses a week gets to spend the next semester with you again repeating the course.
#63
1,005 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by zqvol
The people that I really feel for when parents pull kids out of school for things like vacations are the teachers. They are all over worked, and under paid, and all this selfish behavior does is causes them more work. Hopefully if you pull your kids from school you will remember ALL of their teachers and bring them expensive thank you gifts.

There are advantages to teaching at the college level. You get to set your own attendance policies, and a student who misses a week gets to spend the next semester with you again repeating the course.


This teacher (elementary level) has no problem with kids being pulled for vacation. As a parent, I recognize family time as priceless. Life is too short. When family members and friends start passing away or getting very ill, you can’t get those times back. Go and make fabulous memories while your kids are still willing to vacation with you. The time will come too soon that they won’t want to go.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#64
Chicago, IL
1,251 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by Talex831
This teacher (elementary level) has no problem with kids being pulled for vacation. As a parent, I recognize family time as priceless. Life is too short. When family members and friends start passing away or getting very ill, you can’t get those times back. Go and make fabulous memories while your kids are still willing to vacation with you. The time will come too soon that they won’t want to go.
Exactly!!! My son's teachers have always supported us when he misses a few days. We try to minimize it by doing it when there are already a couple days off (report card pick up, Veteran's Day). But as I posted earlier in this thread, my husband doesn't always get a summer vacation, he has a job that's 24/7, so they all have to pick vacations and sometimes you don't get what you want.


And to be honest, we went through a major loss a few years ago. His teachers completely understood that we wanted to travel and do things (when my husband had his vacation time), so we could have those family memories. We didn't do it this year though, as his schedule for 8th grade (school and swimming) was much more intense. And we wouldn't do it in HS freshman year either, as that's a lot to deal with. But if the opportunity arose in his later HS career, and it didn't interfere with exams or major events/projects, we would do it again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

Past Cruises:
*Royal Caribbean - Independence of the Seas 2017 - Southampton, Le Havre, Hamburg, Oslo, & Bruges, and time in the UK/London

Trip Report - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...1#post53711073
Post-Cruise London 6-day trip report - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2561970
* RCI & Carnival cruise comparison post - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2526532
* Carnival Magic 2016 - Curacao, Aruba, Grand Turk
Trip Report http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2427055

* Carnival Legend 2016 - Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria
Trip Report http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2382500
Pre-cruise trip report (Seattle) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2381435



* Carnival Valor 2015 - Bahamas, (detoured to) Dominican Republic, Grand Turk, Puerto Rico
* MSC Melody 2002 - Key West, Costa Rica, Panama Canal, San Blas Islands, Jamaica
* Carnival Fantasy 2005 - Bahamas
* Carnival Glory 2006 - Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Maarten




#65
Pa, NJ
19,230 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
I've been on this board since its inception and the funniest thing is every child ever taken out of school is a straight A++++ student in every subject.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Don
#66
Georgia
585 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
As I said before, I worry about teachers that 'supposed' to stay late (according to parents) to tutor students that missed school time. The work was given to the student before they left, but none of it was done while on vacation. What does that say about the parent? So the teacher is supposed to step in when the parent failed to do what they said they would do....HORSE FEATHERS!
#67
Sweden
2,632 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by baldilocks
As I said before, I worry about teachers that 'supposed' to stay late (according to parents) to tutor students that missed school time. The work was given to the student before they left, but none of it was done while on vacation. What does that say about the parent? So the teacher is supposed to step in when the parent failed to do what they said they would do....HORSE FEATHERS!
I try to give the students "homework" but I don't do a lots of extra work.

My favorite "homework" is to give them a traveldiary where they shall draw something they do and write some about it every day on the vacation. (My students are 7-10 years old.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked:
2019 MSC Divina, Caribbean, 12-nights, MSC Yacht Club deluxe suite (15004)

Completed:
2017 MSC Meraviglia, Mediterranean, 7-nights, MSC Yacht Club deluxe suite (15013)
2015 Norwegian Breakaway, Southern Caribbean, 12-nights, The Haven Penthouse (12706)
2012 Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean, 7-nights, The Haven Courtyard Penthouse (17002)
2011 Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean, 7-nights, The Haven Spa Suite (14145)
2009 Norwegian Jade, Ireland, 5-nights, Penthouse (8632)
2008 Norwegian Jewel, Transatlantic, 11-nights, Balcony (10034)
2006 Norwegian Dawn, Western Caribbean, 11-nights, Balcony (9576)
2004 Norwegian Wind, Hawaii, 11-nights, Superior Oceanview (0010)
#68
Chicago, IL
1,251 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by baldilocks
As I said before, I worry about teachers that 'supposed' to stay late (according to parents) to tutor students that missed school time. The work was given to the student before they left, but none of it was done while on vacation. What does that say about the parent? So the teacher is supposed to step in when the parent failed to do what they said they would do....HORSE FEATHERS!
Nope, that doesn't happen here. Because of our timing, in November, it's usually right at the end of the quarter or start of the next one. That means things are either wrapped up or just starting. So if he's missed something, he catches up on his own. Now, he may ask the teacher a question in class, but that's no different than any other kid. None of the teachers have really given him work to do while he was gone, but if they did, it would get done. Again, I think it's just because of how we time it, in between the quarters.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

Past Cruises:
*Royal Caribbean - Independence of the Seas 2017 - Southampton, Le Havre, Hamburg, Oslo, & Bruges, and time in the UK/London

Trip Report - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...1#post53711073
Post-Cruise London 6-day trip report - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2561970
* RCI & Carnival cruise comparison post - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2526532
* Carnival Magic 2016 - Curacao, Aruba, Grand Turk
Trip Report http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2427055

* Carnival Legend 2016 - Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria
Trip Report http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2382500
Pre-cruise trip report (Seattle) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2381435



* Carnival Valor 2015 - Bahamas, (detoured to) Dominican Republic, Grand Turk, Puerto Rico
* MSC Melody 2002 - Key West, Costa Rica, Panama Canal, San Blas Islands, Jamaica
* Carnival Fantasy 2005 - Bahamas
* Carnival Glory 2006 - Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Maarten




#69
Chicago, IL
1,251 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by dkjretired
I've been on this board since its inception and the funniest thing is every child ever taken out of school is a straight A++++ student in every subject.
Nope, not an A++++ student in every thing. But mine is a good student. He's mostly A's, and usually a B or two. But missing 2-3 days of work usually doesn't make a huge difference. And I guess if your student is failing, does it matter if they're missing things!?! At that point, it's obvious the student and parent doesn't care to begin with.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

Past Cruises:
*Royal Caribbean - Independence of the Seas 2017 - Southampton, Le Havre, Hamburg, Oslo, & Bruges, and time in the UK/London

Trip Report - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...1#post53711073
Post-Cruise London 6-day trip report - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2561970
* RCI & Carnival cruise comparison post - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2526532
* Carnival Magic 2016 - Curacao, Aruba, Grand Turk
Trip Report http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2427055

* Carnival Legend 2016 - Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria
Trip Report http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2382500
Pre-cruise trip report (Seattle) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2381435



* Carnival Valor 2015 - Bahamas, (detoured to) Dominican Republic, Grand Turk, Puerto Rico
* MSC Melody 2002 - Key West, Costa Rica, Panama Canal, San Blas Islands, Jamaica
* Carnival Fantasy 2005 - Bahamas
* Carnival Glory 2006 - Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Maarten




#70
Chicago, IL
1,251 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
I guess back to the OP's original question.... Yes, plenty of people do it. It works for many people as well. Some people will judge you for it as well. But you know your kids, your school, the teachers, etc... Will it cause them serious educational harm? Is it over testing periods? Are they able to catch up when they miss a few days when they're sick? You need to do what's best for your family and however it works. Whatever you decide, don't worry about it, just go and have fun!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

Past Cruises:
*Royal Caribbean - Independence of the Seas 2017 - Southampton, Le Havre, Hamburg, Oslo, & Bruges, and time in the UK/London

Trip Report - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...1#post53711073
Post-Cruise London 6-day trip report - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2561970
* RCI & Carnival cruise comparison post - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2526532
* Carnival Magic 2016 - Curacao, Aruba, Grand Turk
Trip Report http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2427055

* Carnival Legend 2016 - Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria
Trip Report http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2382500
Pre-cruise trip report (Seattle) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2381435



* Carnival Valor 2015 - Bahamas, (detoured to) Dominican Republic, Grand Turk, Puerto Rico
* MSC Melody 2002 - Key West, Costa Rica, Panama Canal, San Blas Islands, Jamaica
* Carnival Fantasy 2005 - Bahamas
* Carnival Glory 2006 - Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Maarten




#71
Merseyside
221 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
In the UK parents can be fined for term time holidays.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11/02 Golden Princess , 07/14 MSC Opera, 08/16 Carnival Vista B2B 08/17 NCL Jade, 04/18 Carnival Horizon, 08/18 Celebrity Reflection.
#72
1,591 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
We have friends who take their kids out of school so that they can get better prices on vacations/cruises. They believe that the kids don't miss anything because they have their books with them and are good students. We feel that a lot is missed by the kids not being part of in-class discussions and hearing different points of view on the subject matter.

We lived overseas during our son's school years and were not allowed to take vacations with him along during the school year. In the 80's, a large number of people in a certain industry abused the system by taking their kids out for vacations all over the region. As a result, the school tightened up its rules to do their best to make sure the kids got their best education.

Some vacations do offer a chance at alternative learning ... learning about other cultures is enlightening. However, laying on a beach, hanging out in a kids club on a ship or going to Disneyworld isn't quite the educational experience it is cracked up to be.

Technology has certainly changed the world but it doesn't replace class discussion and discourse among student ideas. To answer the OP's question ....... No, we did NOT take our son out of school for vacations.
#73
Washington
6,224 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
In some states in public schools the kids will be reported for truancy even if the school gives permission for the kids to go and the parents may be fined or even charged with a misdemeanor, so it is best to find out what you could be faced with before you do this. If your kids are in private schools things may be different.
#74
Virginia/North Carolina
2,501 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by ithaca gal
We have friends who take their kids out of school so that they can get better prices on vacations/cruises. They believe that the kids don't miss anything because they have their books with them and are good students. We feel that a lot is missed by the kids not being part of in-class discussions and hearing different points of view on the subject matter.

We lived overseas during our son's school years and were not allowed to take vacations with him along during the school year. In the 80's, a large number of people in a certain industry abused the system by taking their kids out for vacations all over the region. As a result, the school tightened up its rules to do their best to make sure the kids got their best education.

Some vacations do offer a chance at alternative learning ... learning about other cultures is enlightening. However, laying on a beach, hanging out in a kids club on a ship or going to Disneyworld isn't quite the educational experience it is cracked up to be.

Technology has certainly changed the world but it doesn't replace class discussion and discourse among student ideas. To answer the OP's question ....... No, we did NOT take our son out of school for vacations.

Kinda off topic but on topic.
If my son missed any class time, he wouldn't miss anything. He's in a new technology program here that is project based learning. Basically someone with some sense looked at the current education system and said "why are kids having to sit behind a desk for 8 hours listening to a teacher preach from a book that was written 30 years ago, about a topic they will never need to know about. In 2018 if kids want to know something, they Google it and do research to learn about it. This is a new age, and technology is at the forefront of it.

So the school did away with the traditional classrooms, teachers at the front, books, etc. Each week the teacher assigns the students a project and they break into small groups to do the project. This week they did some molecule project, then at the end of the week they must present their project and are graded on it. Everything is intertwined in the project such as English, Math and Science. The teacher doesn't stand at the front of the room and lecture them, they have to do their own research on everything. They don't sit in front of a traditional desk all day, they get up, move around, basically a lab-type setting. The teacher is only there for guidance and make sure things stay in order. There are no books, each kid has their own Chromebook. This is the New Tech program that started in California and is quickly catching on across the country. If my son is home, he can simply login to the dashboard and see the assignments and converse with his group that way and get things done.

Now as I mentioned, he only misses the last week of school, but I figured I'd share this new concept that's catching on since so many don't have children in schools, they may not know about this. In a few years this will probably be the norm and pulling kids out of schools more frequently for vacations will become more normal as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature






#75
North Carolina
185 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by teknoge3k
Kinda off topic but on topic.

If my son missed any class time, he wouldn't miss anything. He's in a new technology program here that is project based learning. Basically someone with some sense looked at the current education system and said "why are kids having to sit behind a desk for 8 hours listening to a teacher preach from a book that was written 30 years ago, about a topic they will never need to know about. In 2018 if kids want to know something, they Google it and do research to learn about it. This is a new age, and technology is at the forefront of it.



So the school did away with the traditional classrooms, teachers at the front, books, etc. Each week the teacher assigns the students a project and they break into small groups to do the project. This week they did some molecule project, then at the end of the week they must present their project and are graded on it. Everything is intertwined in the project such as English, Math and Science. The teacher doesn't stand at the front of the room and lecture them, they have to do their own research on everything. They don't sit in front of a traditional desk all day, they get up, move around, basically a lab-type setting. The teacher is only there for guidance and make sure things stay in order. There are no books, each kid has their own Chromebook. This is the New Tech program that started in California and is quickly catching on across the country. If my son is home, he can simply login to the dashboard and see the assignments and converse with his group that way and get things done.



Now as I mentioned, he only misses the last week of school, but I figured I'd share this new concept that's catching on since so many don't have children in schools, they may not know about this. In a few years this will probably be the norm and pulling kids out of schools more frequently for vacations will become more normal as well.


Here students can miss up to 10 days unexcused then you get a letter that you need to make sure future absences are excused....my boys even with missing 5 days for the trip, will not be at 10 Unexcused and these 5 may be granted as excused based on our educational activities at the ports! (Kennedy space Center, Mayan Ruins, snorkeling....)

I’m amused at some of the comments.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#76
South Carolina
30,273 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Never ... Ever ... planned .... but were a day late arriving back due to weather issues.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
#77
586 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
I have taken my children out more than once to cruise. Never been an issue. Communicate with the school in advance and likely it will be fine. You know your children, if you don’t think they will fall behind you’re probably right.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2004 Celebration~ Cozumel
2014 Fascination ~ Nassau, Little Stirrup Cay
2015 Freedom~ Cozumel, Belize, Honduras
2016 Dream~Cozumel, Belize, Honduras

2017 Freedom~Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica
2018 Vista ~ Grand Turk, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan





#78
101,115 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
When our children were in early grade school such as first/second grade a few times we pulled them out but tried to minimize that. Otherwise we did not.

Keith
#79
Central Illinois
132,270 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
We did not.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
#80
Warwickshire UK
2,995 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
The whole 'kids learn more on holiday than at school' only works when the adults involved on that holiday know exactly how to get the most of the learning environment/provide valuable experiences. Unfortunately a majority use this excuse to save money/suit their own holiday interests.

A family holiday is a stunning thing for bonds and lifetime experiences but do it when the kiddies are off. Then they can have the education (that should be appreciated in today's world...lots don't have it) and the fun all in the same year. Although one should mainly smack the holiday providers that jack up the prices but a family could still save up or chose a cheaper option....I personally adore camping.

Not sure how it works in the US but in the UK schools that have attendance issues (below 95%) can get descended on by certain bodies and judged as if it is their fault...a bad judgement can affect the school's and kids' futures. It's not fair for this to happen but the UK government are idiots so thats how we have to play. Also I have seen bewildered looks on children's faces/concerns after missing a week or more and how social circles have changed in that short space of time. There is also the chance of missing units that may be important in tests etc and its also not fair to expect the teacher to provide extra work because you happened to book a holiday...we have lots to do already. It is for the above reasons the UK fines absences for 5 days or more per parent per child if no suitable reason is given (touchy subject over here for us all).

I understand an odd day or two is missed due to schedules...thats fine and I know that some children are more resilient than others but I do think holidays in term time affect more things and people than first thought.

Bemused by the 'too few teachers are educated' comment. Is it really that bad in the US? Not the case over here...there is a minimum of training/uni time needed (many teachers have part of a masters for instance) and other hoops and tests to get past.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Norway 10 day on the Norwegian Jade August 2017
Mediterranean 12 day on Carnival Vista August 2016
Atlantic Coast 7 day on the Royal Caribbean Independence of the seas May 2016
Mediterranean 13 day on the Celebrity Equinox August 2015
Panama Canal and Caribbean 13 day on the Carnival Legend August 2014
Baltic 12 day on the Carnival Legend August 2013