Best underwater camera?

I purchased a Nikon AW110 and I was really happy with it on our last Caribbean vacation. They now make one with built in wifi which would be great because you can upload you pictures directly from the camera rather than having to use a computer.

Nikon COOLPIX AW110 Wi-Fi and Waterproof Digital Camera with GPS

About $275 on Amazon

I also had a Fuji XP100 that I picked up at BJ's wholesale as a backup for about $125.

I found the Nikon to give slightly better video and more intuitive larger screen.

Do you have sample pictures? I posted this on three other boards and this is the second time I've heard about this one. It's also one that I saw on some other lists on the internet. I still like to ask "real" people what their experience has been.

I had purchased a Fuji XP170 for use on the cruise this past April. Before we sailed, It was supposed to be good to a depth of 30 feet. I decided to test it in our neighbor's 3 ft deep pool. It SEEMED OK after my brief shallow water test - or so I thought! It failed on the first day of our cruise, the first day I really tried to use it after my test. I took it back, it was sent back to Fuji. They decided it would cost more to repair than replace it, so they junked it out. I was able to get a full refund since my store did not have this camera in stock. Needless to say, I will be buying a different camera for underwater use!

Good thing I brought my trusty old Kodak on that cruise or I would have been camera shopping! The Kodak isn't waterproof, but it has survived many adventures and is still going strong!

The uploads are of much lesser quality trying to do this on my iPhone via tap talk ? The resolution of the originals is very good. Similar to my D40 on auto mode.

Do you mean "underwater" like 100+ feet ... or water resistant like 10 feet.

We have a canon d570 and a n underwater housing for it. We picked up 3 cameras for $25 on clearance ... but the housing was about $300.

Awesome photos. We've had it down to 130 feet.

<a href=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8468/8117901230_ddcbde7c8b.jpg' alt='8117901230_ddcbde7c8b.jpg'>

IMG_0423c by dntanderson, on Flickr[/img]

We have the Cannon D10 & Cannon D20. It takes very nice pictures if your a snorkeler. It takes pics down to 30 ft. The thing about underwater cameras is you need to make absolutely sure all portals are closed tightly before taking it in the water. Also, as soon as you can, soak the camera in clear water for a few minutes after using it in salt water.

Another thing we do to get our underwater photos to turn out even better is use Picasa or another photo enhancing program, which are free. You can crop, lighten, add contrast, color etc. and add text to your photos. This really makes those underwater pics look sharp. I like the text so I can ID the fish, coral, etc. The D20 has a GPS to locate where you took the pic.

My son had an underwater camera...nothing super fantastic. It was pretty good though...Fujifilm xp30. We can't find it :( What's the best underwater camera around $300??

I have the Olympus -tough in red or blue verry smal make great pictures € 139

I wanted you can see theme pictures while we swim withsharks (harmles)

Great colors ,sorry for my english ,I am from the Netherlands

Greetings melanie

I agree with Melanie...I have an Olympus Tough (my second one actually as I wore the first one out). It doesn't miss a beat and is easy to use. Value for money. I paid about $250 AUD for it though. But there are differant models of it on the market....it usually ranks highly in underwater cameras. Excellent photos.

They good thing about it is it is not too bulky...fits easily in a pocket and it always at the ready.

We have a Panasonic Lumix TS3. It's done great in the water both for play and snorkeling. DH uses it all the time as his regular camera. It is small and fits in his pocket nicely.

As stated in an earlier post, it is very important to get the camera in fresh water after using it in the ocean. I bring a bottle of water and fill my snorkel case with it.

Cheers, Denise

140190291.jpg

Do you mean "underwater" like 100+ feet ... or water resistant like 10 feet.

We have a canon d570 and a n underwater housing for it. We picked up 3 cameras for $25 on clearance ... but the housing was about $300.

Awesome photos. We've had it down to 130 feet.

<a href=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8468/8117901230_ddcbde7c8b.jpg' alt='8117901230_ddcbde7c8b.jpg'>

IMG_0423c by dntanderson, on Flickr[/img]

That is an amazing photo! Thanks for sharing all of these!

I also love my Panasonic Lumix. It takes great pictures out of the water also. I take it everywhere. My husband has very expensive cameras and my pics are side by side with his in our photo books and only I know the difference.

We have the Cannon D10 & Cannon D20. It takes very nice pictures if your a snorkeler. It takes pics down to 30 ft. The thing about underwater cameras is you need to make absolutely sure all portals are closed tightly before taking it in the water. Also, as soon as you can, soak the camera in clear water for a few minutes after using it in salt water.

Another thing we do to get our underwater photos to turn out even better is use Picasa or another photo enhancing program, which are free. You can crop, lighten, add contrast, color etc. and add text to your photos. This really makes those underwater pics look sharp. I like the text so I can ID the fish, coral, etc. The D20 has a GPS to locate where you took the pic.

This sounds like the same one we have. It's great for taking pictures and videos under water. The other nice thing is you don't have to worry about it getting ruined when you are out taking pictures in the rain.

I will have to admit that the only problem I have using an under-water camera is that I can't read any of the settings without my glasses. So.....I usually have to give the camera to my daughter and tell her to take lots of pics for me.

I purchased a Nikon AW110 and I was really happy with it on our last Caribbean vacation. They now make one with built in wifi which would be great because you can upload you pictures directly from the camera rather than having to use a computer.

Nikon COOLPIX AW110 Wi-Fi and Waterproof Digital Camera with GPS

About $275 on Amazon

I also had a Fuji XP100 that I picked up at BJ's wholesale as a backup for about $125.

I found the Nikon to give slightly better video and more intuitive larger screen.

I have the AW100 and I am very pleased with it

I just lost my Panasonic on my Alaska cruise.

(but wait!)

I bought it when I lived in Florida for the waterproof aspect. However, it's RUGGED, too! Had it on my wrist shooting from the back of a train, I was using it for wide shots, and my Nikon D3000 with zoom around my neck. I did it so as not to have to switch lenses whilst on the train. Well, the Panasonic somehow slipped off my wrist, and it literally bounced about 5 or 6 times before plunging into the gorge (we were on a huge trestle in the Yukon somewhere...). But, it went down in one piece!

I plan on buying another. It's under $300.

~Kathryn

So far I haven't seen any of these recommended cameras get negative comments on this post.

Nice to know there's a lot of choices.

Not only do we like to snorkel but we kayak as well. Having one of these would keep me from fretting about the nicer camera getting wet during an expedition.

I must say, that the biggest reason we picked the Canon D10 was that it took the same battery as my current Canon camera and was similar to use. I didn't want to have to learn a whole new camera.

Like I also said, my only problem is that I wear glasses, so the actual taking of underwater pics is a little problematic for me since I can't read any of the settings under water and have no clue what I'm taking a picture of. Other than that small detail, it really is a great camera.

I must say, that the biggest reason we picked the Canon D10 was that it took the same battery as my current Canon camera and was similar to use. I didn't want to have to learn a whole new camera.

Like I also said, my only problem is that I wear glasses, so the actual taking of underwater pics is a little problematic for me since I can't read any of the settings under water and have no clue what I'm taking a picture of. Other than that small detail, it really is a great camera.

You maybe already aware of the fact but, you can get prescription ground masks so you wont see just fuzzy images under water. Years ago I got them for my DW. I don't know what they would charge for this today. Back then it was probably about the same as a pair of glasses. If you snorkel a lot they are well worth the investment. IMHO

I've considered the prescription goggles, but I probably don't go snorkling enough to make it worthwhile for me. It worked out well on the last two cruises just putting my daughter in charge of underwater videos and pics. Not sure what I'll do when she finally decides she is too old to cruise with us.

At least one other redeeming thing about a water-proof camera is if you are out in the rain you don't have to worry about it getting ruined.

I have a Fuji underwater camera (Z33WP) that's no longer made. It works pretty well underwater. Most outdoor photos have turned out well. It's not as great an inside camera--pretty weak flash. There are lots of inexpensive underwater cameras on Amazon. The Fuji FinePix XP100 seems to be the current equivalent to my camera.

Archived