Is it safe to cruise to Mexican Riviera?

Mrsdub

A good source of advice is the US State Department Travel Advisory:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

It all depends on what ports your ship is sailing to.

Manzanillo, Acapulco, and Mazatlan are all under Level 4 advisories, though only Acapulco has an official "do not travel" for US Citizens.

The Baja Peninsula is under Level 2; the central tourist zones are considered adequately safe.

The cruise lines tend to be overly cautious in changing or cancelling port calls when local crime is an issue. The fact that many lines still have overnight calls in Cabo San Lucas should be reassuring.

Lets see here... when I sailed on the Carnival Spirit in January, 2005, the destinations were Acapulco, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, and Manzanillo. All three of those destinations are discontinued by Carnival. The current destinations are Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Ensenada. Those are the same destinations by NCL,

A good source of advice is the US State Department Travel Advisory:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

It all depends on what ports your ship is sailing to.

Manzanillo, Acapulco, and Mazatlan are all under Level 4 advisories, though only Acapulco has an official "do not travel" for US Citizens.

The Baja Peninsula is under Level 2; the central tourist zones are considered adequately safe.

The cruise lines tend to be overly cautious in changing or cancelling port calls when local crime is an issue. The fact that many lines still have overnight calls in Cabo San Lucas should be reassuring.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What specific horrors are you referring to? Everything was fine when I sailed to Cabo, PV, and Mazatlan back in February. I doubt the cruise lines would continue to sail Mexican itineraries if there was a high chance passengers or crew would be harmed. Relax, and step away from the internet (unless it's Cruise Critic).

Roz

What specific horrors are you referring to? Everything was fine when I sailed to Cabo, PV, and Mazatlan back in February. I doubt the cruise lines would continue to sail Mexican itineraries if there was a high chance passengers or crew would be harmed. Relax, and step away from the internet (unless it's Cruise Critic).

Roz

I doubt they would sail there if the chance was even moderate....

Have stopped in PV and Cabo several times recently, and will be in Cabo for a week in March.

I doubt they would sail there if the chance was even moderate....

Have stopped in PV and Cabo several times recently, and will be in Cabo for a week in March.

Agree with you, Bruce. The cruise lines are conservative.

Roz

It’s funny, when I told people we were going on a Mexican Riviera cruise they asked if it was safe. I told them if we didn’t feel comfortable getting off the ship we wouldn’t but I didn’t think the cruise line would stop if there were warnings. We recently booked the Eurodam in November so I’m hoping the ports are safe.

Cruise Lines continuously monitor threads and adjust itineraries where risks are excessive. They generally are very conservative when making these determinations.

If the ship goes to a port, you can be reasonably well assured that the port is safe. In saying that, you may want to consider what tours you take. If not comfortable, suggest sticking to organised tours and not walking around exploring on your own.

I agree that the cruise lines keep a close eye on issues.

And if it gets too dangerous, they will NOT stop there. There is no upside to getting your customers robbed or injured or killed.

And because of this, cruise ship port areas are typically responsive to change when there is a chance the cruise ships will stop coming.

In Chicago, on the first weekend of this past August, there were 62 people shot, 12 of them fatally, between 6PM Friday and midnight Sunday!

Is Chicago a safe place to visit?

We have spent a week in Puerto Vallarta for the past two winters. No issue whatsoever. We expect to be on the Yukatan Peninsula for three weeks in late Oct/mid November.

I think that there is a huge difference between tourist centric areas and other less desirous areas, just like there is an any large US city. LA, Chicago, Phili, Miami...take your pick.

In Chicago, on the first weekend of this past August, there were 62 people shot, 12 of them fatally, between 6PM Friday and midnight Sunday!

Is Chicago a safe place to visit?

We have spent a week in Puerto Vallarta for the past two winters. No issue whatsoever. We expect to be on the Yukatan Peninsula for three weeks in late Oct/mid November.

I think that there is a huge difference between tourist centric areas and other less desirous areas, just like there is an any large US city. LA, Chicago, Phili, Miami...take your pick.

I still go to the Loop and have not experienced any problems. The violence has not reached there (yet).

Roz

If it wasn't safe to visit those ports during the times ships are present, and staying in the tourist areas the cruise lines would not sail there. The tourist areas are as safe as any tourist area in a major US city. If you go wandering off the beaten path so to speak, all bets are off.

The tourist areas are as safe as any tourist area in a major US city. If you go wandering off the beaten path so to speak, all bets are off.

Agreed! Also -- don't get drunk and stupid. Of course, not all -- but many of the 'horror stories' involve way too much alcohol.:eek:

Monday, August 06, 2018

CHICAGO (WLS) --

A violent weekend in Chicago left 12 people dead and dozens more wounded, police said.

Chicago police said a total of 66 people were shot from 6 p.m. on Friday to midnight on Sunday and 12 of those victims have died.