Infant on Cruise

I think that you need to do what works for your family.

Now that my kids are older, I don't think much about leaving them on the ship if we want to do something in port. But when people say that they'd never leave a small child on board in the nursery while they went into town probably never left their baby at daycare while they worked.

When my oldest was 16 weeks old, he started at daycare. I had met the staff once or twice but that was it. I brought him, his diapers, bottles and assorted items and left him there. From 7 AM until 5:30 PM. I was at least 45-60 minutes away at work, so if something happened, they'd have to call me and I'd have to get in the car and drive on the parkway in traffic to get back to him. My then H was on the road at his job, and there was no guarantee that another family member was local enough to get him.

So when people talk about it being crazy to leave a 6-8 month old in the nursery while they get off in port and spend an hour or so walking around, it's not so weird. I didn't know the daycare workers any more than these parents will know the camp staff. And I'm pretty sure that the cruise lines go through some serious background checks with child staff and almost all of them have degrees in early childhood education or similar areas of study. I'm pretty sure most of the daycare workers did not.

Would I do it? Hard to say. We cruised for the first time when oldest was 3.5 (and only child) then again with both kids when oldest was 8.5 and youngest was 4. No one in diapers, everyone sleeping through the night, no real "baby" considerations. I can't say whether I'd do it with a baby, but I remember that sometimes, it was easier with a baby in a stroller than it was with a pre-schooler wanting to do everything on their own.

Everyone has to do what works for them as a family.

Now that my kids are older, I don't think much about leaving them on the ship if we want to do something in port. But when people say that they'd never leave a small child on board in the nursery while they went into town probably never left their baby at daycare while they worked.

Best response to those comments ever!

A good compromise would be to book a cruise that included Labadee or Coco Cay. You KNOW you are going to make it back to the ship on time from these 2 locations and they are both great beach days. :D

PS--book late dinner seating. [or MTD] I know most people with kids eat on the earlier seating. However, the people at the table near us had their little one asleep in the stroller every night while they ate in peace.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

We just got back from Anthem cruise with 10 mo DS. Other than him getting sick, everything was great. Crew all loved giving him attention. Many of them have kids at home that they don't see for six months at a time.

We left DS at the nursery one night. The staff were great, but the stay got cut half an hour short because there were other babies crying and that seemed to set him off and he was quite upset.

One side note: We had a standard balcony room. Just enough room between the couch and dresser to fit a playpen (pack and play) and still be able to get through.

Just wondering, not judging anything: What would happen if you left your baby on the ship while you did an excursion and by some series of unfortunate events, you missed getting back to the ship on time? Certainly, I'm sure people would take extra care to not allow that to happen but sometimes circumstances can you beyond your control. What would the cruise line do in that situation?

Hi Everyone! We have a 2 month old boy and are thinking a cruise in summer 2018 might be a good option for us. From the looks of it Royal Caribbean seems to get good grades regarding sailingwith kids. I am still a bit nervous as he we still only be 7-8 months old. We would likely take advantage of the onboard babysitting options. We figured we could have a few nights out and maybe even leave him onboard at one port while my wife and I could enjoy a relaxing beach day. We have cruised on NCL 3 times and Princess once. We are dying to set sail again and have always wanted to try RC. Am I nuts? Would love your feedback, especially if you have sailed with kids around this age group. Thanks in advance!

I have taken my kids on many cruises. I currently have a 4.5 year old, who began cruising at 9 months, and an 11 month old who began cruising at 7 months.

YOU ARE NOT CRAZY! It's completely doable as long as you pack for the baby's needs. We've used Royal Babies & Tots numerous times and been very happy. The crew love kids. They always bend over backwards to make my kids happy to be on a cruise. From turning down the crib sheets along with ours, having fruit ready at the table for dinner each night upon arrival, so many little details to make your life easier.

If you go to my signature you can read my reviews of traveling with kids, the pictures will expire Dec 31st because of Photobucket's shenanigans, so try to look over these now before my pics disappear.

Carnival Glory (2013) (not Royal, but our experience traveling with my older son at 9 months old)

Enchantment of the Seas (2014)

Brilliance of the Seas (2014)

Jewel of the Seas (2015)

Disney Magic (2016)

I would be happy to answer any questions you have about cruising with kids in general or Royal Caribbean!

We're about to go on the Harmony in a week and a half with the 4.5 year old and 11 month old, so I'll do a review when I return but I'll need to find an alternate source for hosting my pictures.

Add another one that has taken an infant on a cruise and was the best choice ever. The nursery was great and being able to go on excursions or eat “alone” was the best part. The nursery will feed bottles that are prepared. One thing we noticed back then was they wouldn’t warm bottles there so if the child isn’t used to room temp might want to start on that now (or feed prior to going.).

Another tip try to get a room on same side as nursery I still give my DW props for carrying out child from one end of the ship to the other while the kid was asleep. Those hallways can get real long sometimes.

Just wondering, not judging anything: What would happen if you left your baby on the ship while you did an excursion and by some series of unfortunate events, you missed getting back to the ship on time? Certainly, I'm sure people would take extra care to not allow that to happen but sometimes circumstances can you beyond your control. What would the cruise line do in that situation?

Easy...just book an excursion with the cruiseline or one that you know is going to include cruiseline bookings...the ship at least RCI won't leave with out them. We have waited many times onboard due to booked cruise tours being late back to ship.

They would assign a staff member to care for the child until the parent could rejoin the cruise.

Easy...just book an excursion with the cruiseline or one that you know is going to include cruiseline bookings...the ship at least RCI won't leave with out them. We have waited many times onboard due to booked cruise tours being late back to ship.

I just read in another thread that the ship may have to leave, the capt may not have a choice after a certain time, but cruise line will work to have you rejoin the cruise as soon as possible. Which kind of makes sense, the port may not be able to allow the ship to just wait a long time.

For me, I couldn't leave the boat with an infant on board. I get the whole day-care argument, but then the day-care isn't going to move to another city or country if I'm late. I also get that we all have different tolerances for risk, and that's fine.

The main reason we didn’t cruise when ds was bitty was finances.

Once we started traveling (still not cruising for another r again) we realized that travel with a baby or toddler is better than being at home, but it’s hardly vacation.

It’s the same stuff, but with fun surroundings.

Even though I wouldn’t do it, that’s just not true. Not on Royal or Disney cruises at least.

What funny notions. Not sure how cruising is selfish or irresponsible.

Cruising with an infant is selfish and irresponsible because you aren't considering your cabin neighbors who have to tolerate your baby's crying all through the night. Or the baby's crying all through dining at any venue. Or the baby causing disruption during onboard entertainment/shows. I have NEVER seen a parent with an infant in diapers adhere to the pool rules of NOT putting the baby in the pool water. JMHO.

Ok ... this has nothing to do with cruising ... but does relate to leaving kids with 'other(s)'.

I was 15, a foster child and the parents of their 8 yr. old son left him with me for 5 days. It was 1977 ... they packed up their motorcycle with tent & camping gear and left the COUNTRY for 5 days. This was in NH and they went to PEI ... Prince Edward Island, Canada.

Lo and behold ... I got into trouble. When the parents came back on Monday/Labor Day, the police talked to them about my 'trouble'. I was NOT arrested ... I was 'warned'. Oddly enough, the following summer I would get a job at that same police department and work there for 3 years. The 'trouble' had NOTHING to do with their 8 yr old son ... other than I put him to bed at about 6 or 7 pm, advanced all the clocks and told him it was 8pm or so. LOL ... BUT the parents did NOT get into any trouble for leaving 2 children alone for 5 days while they left the country! Still to this day ... just amazes me.

Cruising with an infant is selfish and irresponsible because you aren't considering your cabin neighbors who have to tolerate your baby's crying all through the night. Or the baby's crying all through dining at any venue. Or the baby causing disruption during onboard entertainment/shows. I have NEVER seen a parent with an infant in diapers adhere to the pool rules of NOT putting the baby in the pool water. JMHO.

Oh c’mon, you’re being a bit dramatic, no? And You’re seriously saying every single cruiser you’ve seen with a baby put him/her in the pool? 100%? That’s just not believable. Not even with all caps.

PS you might wanna reconsider us of “JMHO”, maybe drop the H, is what I’m saying.

By that token, traveling at all with a baby is irresponsible. Parents with small children have every right to travel if they wish! And many, if not most, parents are not going to sit in the dining room/show/etc. with a crying baby. They’ll leave.

We are leaving our son at home (he will be 13 months) when we cruise the meeting next year but plan to introduce him to cruising not long after that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh c’mon, you’re being a bit dramatic, no? And You’re seriously saying every single cruiser you’ve seen with a baby put him/her in the pool? 100%? That’s just not believable. Not even with all caps.

PS you might wanna reconsider us of “JMHO”, maybe drop the H, is what I’m saying.

:')

Our daughter took her then just turned one year old with us last year. Although we all had a good time she didn't feel it was much of a vacation. It was a huge amount of work. From packing for all scenarios, to missing out most evenings as the baby needed to sleep, to a crabby baby who needed a nap during the day. By the way, we had no screaming baby in the dining room or shows and swim diapers are allowed on certain ships in certain pools.

Try it. Just have the right expectations. ( We took the kids with us on all excursions.)

I have 3 kids and have been traveling with them since they were about 5 months old. You're not crazy or selfish! Like some others, my risk tolerance for leaving an infant on the ship while in port isn't something I could handle - but that's just me, and I do not judge those that do. My youngest started daycare at 11 weeks, so it isn't about that, more just fear of the ship leaving without me. That being said, I was nervous when I returned to ship with our 20 month old daughter and my husband stayed on shore with our older kids.

Staff on the ship ADORE babies and small children. They will absolutely dote on your baby and go above and beyond as much as possible.

The comment about late dining is a good one if your baby is a good stroller napper. With Royal they have a program where they expedite the kid's dinner and take them out of the dining room early if you're on the early dining time, but that only works once they're in the regular program and not the nursery.

My kids have loved cruising and have been really engaged by being at sea. While my daughter doesn't remember her first sail boat experience at 8 months, she was still incredibly happy and she experienced something new. And we all have fond memories of sharing that experience with her.

Hopping on Oasis in less that 2 weeks and I can't wait! My daughter is now just turned 2 and I can't wait to see how she reacts to the enormous ship and all the fun shows.

Our daughter took her then just turned one year old with us last year. Although we all had a good time she didn't feel it was much of a vacation. It was a huge amount of work. From packing for all scenarios, to missing out most evenings as the baby needed to sleep, to a crabby baby who needed a nap during the day. By the way, we had no screaming baby in the dining room or shows and swim diapers are allowed on certain ships in certain pools.

Try it. Just have the right expectations. ( We took the kids with us on all excursions.)

I know of no pool on any ship that allows swim diapers. I they do, let me know so I can avoid those ships / pools

It's hard for me to follow exactly what is going on because a couple of the people who made comments I have blocked due to their reputation for stirring up trouble without adding value. So I haven't seen anything but selected comments from them. So having said that:

- We put DS in the baby splash pool, not the main pool (Anthem). If there are kids with swim diapers in other pools then it's up to RC to enforce the rules.

- If someone has a problem with a baby on the ship, talk to RC (since they allow it to happen) or book a different cruise line. I've heard more noisy adults through the walls than I ever have noisy babies, but these things happen and that's what you could face on a family cruise line. However I would agree that it is still considerate for parents to do whatever they can to settle the child, even if you have to get dressed and take them for a walk around the halls.

- The responsible thing to do at a show/dining room with a baby is leave if they are being noisy. My own observation is there is enough noise in most of those places that regular baby sounds are buried in the other noise. Certainly a crying fit would be a different story. We sat at the back of the theatre in case of such a problem.

- RC does not permit you to leave an infant (0-2) on the ship while parents are on excursion.

- RC does not permit you to leave an infant (0-2) on the ship while parents are on excursion.

They actually do. When my son was 15 months I left him in the nursery on Enchantment and walked around downtown Nassau for an hour.

And good to know that those certain people are known pot-stirrers, I will block them too because I don’t want to read their opinions when they aren’t constructive!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well there you go. Typical RC, I suppose. Just because they don't stop you from doing something doesn't mean you are allowed to do it. I am sure they had a sign up regarding leaving the ship when we dropped DS off. I can't find the policies regarding the kid's stuff now of course.

I suppose there are two indicators on Anthem that might be a sign you need to stay onboard.

- They give you a ship's phone which probably doesn't work too far away

- Maximum time for tots is two hours. So you wouldn't get far.