Cheers package--one does not drink for medical reasons-can other buy still?

Hi All,

We are planning a family reunion type trip with about 6 cabins, 2 people each.

My spouse drinks and wants the package since it is a group cruise with other drinkers.

I don't drink--for medical reasons I have MS and just stick to healthier options.

Would my spouse still be able to purchase the package if I had a Dr note?

Hi All,

My spouse drinks and wants the package since it is a group cruise with other drinkers.

I don't drink--for medical reasons I have MS and just stick to healthier options.

Only if you can switch him into another cabin with a cheers participant and switch yourself with another non cheers person.

This is all paperwork only, once inboard you can switch up rooms again with a visit to GS.

Hi All,

Have your spouse and another person in your party who wants to purchase the package get a cabin together. You would have to book with someone who didn't want the package. Then when you get on the ship you can switch rooms.

I have not read of them making exceptions. You have to remember OP that they sell the packages to make money and hate to be Captain Obvious but they make more from two than from one. As others suggested maybe you can be booked into a cabin with another non-drinker.

Only if you can switch him into another cabin with a cheers participant and switch yourself with another non cheers person.

This is all paperwork only, once inboard you can switch up rooms again with a visit to GS.

Or with someone under 21.

He cruises with you?

He sure does, with a ilttle planning. lol His vent is the size of a laptop.and his feeding pump fits in a back pack. I put all his supplies that I know I will need for the week and then some in a gallon tub. He is mostly on the vent at night. We travel almost everywhere with him. We even bring his nurse along. :) The only thing we don't do is fly. My son is a little guy, if you seen him you wuold think he was 12.

He sure does, with a ilttle planning. lol His vent is the size of a laptop.and his feeding pump fits in a back pack. I put all his supplies that I know I will need for the week and then some in a gallon tub. He is mostly on the vent at night. We travel almost everywhere with him. We even bring his nurse along. :) The only thing we don't do is fly. My son is a little guy, if you seen him you wuold think he was 12.

God bless you.

• Like 1

I'd call Carnival, speak with a manager, explain your situation and see what they say. Asking can't hurt, and since your son can't physically consume any kind of beverage, seems like the type of circumstance where this rule may not apply. Good luck!

• 2 years later...
Have your spouse and another person in your party who wants to purchase the package get a cabin together. You would have to book with someone who didn't want the package. Then when you get on the ship you can switch rooms.

What we did was when got on board we went to guess services and had an extra keys made to unlock your door the two cabin doors. So, those passengers that switched would have two keys one key to unlock their cabin door and the other (there personal key) would be their sign and sail key. It worked well.

I had actually called Carnival yesterday asking this same question. I have health issues and can’t drink but hubby wanted to get the drink package. I even asked if my doctor wrote me a note and was told that isn’t an option. We both would have to purchase cheers package. Guess we will not be buying a package lol except soda package.