What Platinum free bottle of wine should I choose?

drvalo

I am not a wine drinker. Well occasionally I drink wine, but I know nothing about it. We always get those free bottles with our Platinum dinner and never know what to select. Most often we simply take the unopened bottle with us and give it away after we are home. When offered the Platinum wine menu, I just pick one. I am open for better suggestions. What should I choose?

I am not a wine drinker. Well occasionally I drink wine, but I know nothing about it. We always get those free bottles with our Platinum dinner and never know what to select. Most often we simply take the unopened bottle with us and give it away after we are home. When offered the Platinum wine menu, I just pick one. I am open for better suggestions. What should I choose?

It would depend on if you prefer white or red, sweet or dry. We like chablis with our dinner and have been pleased by Alice Lindeman's of Australia. After having it once we ordered it again at our second Le Bistro meal.

Personally I prefer red wines that are "full bodied", and on the complimentary wine list from NCL where you can choose your bottle of wine together with one of your Platinum dinners, most of the red wines are quite "young" in taste and "not much to write home about" (in my very subjective opinion)... But there is one from Chile that is actually pretty good. I don't remember the name of the wine, but it is the only Chilean wine on the list of reds.

(PS: Just be aware that you will now get only 1 (one) bottle of wine in total, not 2 as you did in the past).

Edited by TrumpyNor

I am not a wine drinker. ... Most often we simply take the unopened bottle with us and give it away after we are home. ...

If you are not going to drink it, I would give it away on the ship to staff or somebody you meet. That bottle would probably cost around $10 in the store. Personally, I would not want to risk it breaking for only $10. In our case, we could not take it anyways, since we only do carryon luggage these days - LOL!

Wines vary so much, not just the colour, Red or White but also taste dry to dessert. We grow many different grapes for many different wines in my area. Pairings are normally done per main dish, beef, pork or lamb is usually paired with a robust, full bodied wine such as Cabernet, Pinot Noir;

Haven't tried all the wines on NCL so can't tell you exactly how to determine what might work for you.

What I would say is: when pairing wines with dinner, beef, or red meat of any kind, even duck, lamb or Italian pasta, I'd choose a red wine, could be light, something palatable, not too bold (ask your somilier or bartender).

For chicken, fish I'd choose something white such as Pinot Grigio, Riesling or Zinfandel if not too sweet.

Here's a website which can give a bit of insight into wines:

http://winefolly.com/tutorial/the-9-major-wine-styles/

Hope this helps,

Cheers, :wine-glass: :champagne-toast:

I kinda like Beringers White Zinfandel.

Beringers WZ is $3.95 a bottle locally (about $38 or so on the ship if you bought it). However, for just a refreshing and very sipable sweeter tasting wine it's actually a nice change occasionally.... chilled.

It would depend on if you prefer white or red, sweet or dry. We like chablis with our dinner and have been pleased by Alice Lindeman's of Australia. After having it once we ordered it again at our second Le Bistro meal.

It wasn't Lindemans chablis. It was Alice's chardonnay, still from Australia.

Thanks for all the excellent and thoughtful ideas! At least now I have some suggestions. We do usually bring all the various bottles we gather up on our cruises home. As we typically drive to the port, carting them home is not usually a problem. We also usually trade in the bubbly we get in the cabin and any other bottle of that we get for whatever reasons for a bottle of just the house red. If you take it to any restaurant they will usually do that for you if you'd prefer it. In February the server in Le Bistro did it.

Just 14 more days........

We always get the prosecco and take it back to our cabin. They give you a chilled bottle.

I like that idea, to drink on the balcony. Must do that next time. We got ours in cagneys and only had a glass each, went to la cucina next night, asked for it and they couldn't find it. We told cagneys where we would want it but they forgot to give us the ticket.

Sent from my iPad using Forums