Most Interesting Person You've Ever Met On A Cruise

I thought this might be a fun topic. Who has been the most interesting person you have ever met on a cruise, and why? For us, it was a gentleman who was a retired Rocket Scientist, involved with working on the O-ring problems on the Space Shuttles. Such a wonderful man who was extremely intelligent. We enjoyed all of his stories. We've met many whom have had an amazing story, but this person stands out amongst them all.

This could be an interesting discussion, I'll add it to my list as I could see the moderators moving it to the ASK A CRUISE QUESTION forum. (Just guessing)

I've met some very interesting people, but I'm not sure I could qualify that. I was impressed with a Danish couple on my first cruise. Both of them were required to speak English in their jobs, so we were good practice for them. On our 2012 cruise, which occured during the 100th anniversary we were seated with a couple now living in Florida, that were born and married in Belfast where I believe the Titanic was built. Their parents had met at the ship yard during the building.

I've met so many interesting people. That may be because as I get older, I find other different people more interesting. Maybe this thread will spark memories as others reply. Thanks for starting this.

Met a couple in the DL on one cruise. The man was a retired government employee, had worked security for several presidents. Had some very interesting stories about them, as well as first ladies and VP's.

Met a couple in the DL on one cruise. The man was a retired government employee, had worked security for several presidents. Had some very interesting stories about them, as well as first ladies and VP's.

I knew some other replies would stir my memory. We just got back from our cruise that the last stop was Grenada. We used Dive Grenada as our excursion. The couple that owns it are from Great Britain and his interest in diving came with his time serving in the British Navy. Since I consider myself slightly above average in Geography and World History, He seemed surprised I guessed he might have served in the Falklands against the Argentinians. Lots of interesting stories there. While its barely related, my wife has been amazed as my ability to spot "celebrities" out in real life. I'm pretty sure I saw Actress Kathy Baker on one ship, but I can't remember which one now. I didn't disturb her.

On a Disney Cruise we teamed up in trivia with a woman my age (33) and her husband. It just so happened that she turned out to have been my pen pal on the DIS teen forum (a Disney fan forum) back when we were 16-17. It was shocking!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I actually have a tie. Both were WWII vets.

One,Nick was a paratrooper during the D day operations. Both during dinner and on a sea day,he told us about him being part of history.

The second was another WWII vet (his name slips my mind right now). He was with the RCAF (Royal Canadian Airforce). He was first in the western theater and flew two or three missions over Germany. He was then sent to the Pacific theater. After a short period,he became a "Guest of the Emperor", a POW of the Japanese. He told us about the death marches, force labor and how so many of his friends died. I recall him telling us how he was so close to death. Decades later he return to visit the graves and seeing how young they were is something that struck all his tablemates. Sadly he used to visit high schools and discuss his events, it stopped because the youth overall thought it was boring.

I've met a lot of intresting people but they ranked as the top two

I thought this might be a fun topic. Who has been the most interesting person you have ever met on a cruise, and why? For us, it was a gentleman who was a retired Rocket Scientist, involved with working on the O-ring problems on the Space Shuttles. Such a wonderful man who was extremely intelligent. We enjoyed all of his stories. We've met many whom have had an amazing story, but this person stands out amongst them all.

I would have really enjoyed talking with him!

On a Disney Cruise we teamed up in trivia with a woman my age (33) and her husband. It just so happened that she turned out to have been my pen pal on the DIS teen forum (a Disney fan forum) back when we were 16-17. It was shocking!!!!!!

Wow, that's pretty cool! When you think of so many scenarios that would have to have taken place, it's unbelieveable your paths crossed! It was meant to be. I guess we never know what's held in store for us when we sail and meet so many wonderful people.

Unfortunately it was the last evening of our cruise on Oasis last year so we only got to spend a little time with them, but we met an incredibly charming couple from Australia in the Diamond Lounge who invited us to join them for cocktails. They travel extensively and have had so many fascinating experiences. They told us of adventures in Japan, Bali, all over Europe and the US. They really knew how to tell a story. I could have listened to them all evening! When we met them they were on their second of three weeks on board. This was after spending two weeks in New York City and one week in Miami.

I met one person who has inspired me and I will remember the encounter for the rest of my life. It was a young man in his late twenties and he had no arms. Nothing from the shoulders so I assume prosthetics was out of the question. He did a lot of travelling and although he had a travel companion it was more of an acquaintance and he generally went about doing his own thing.

He had so many interesting stories about his travels and the places he visited. Not only did he need to overcome his disability but also the many taboos associated with him using his feet to eat and drink. So many things were a challenge.

I met him towards the end of my cruise but saw him around the ship and out and about at port stops. So many everyday things were remarkably challenging and somehow he managed and it didn't put him off travelling or being independent. To this day he has inspired me to overcome whatever challenges I face in my everyday life.

At a M&M, a lady from Canada showed interest in me when she heard I'm from Israel.

Turns out her father was Jewish, part of the "kinder transport" (kids rescued to Britain from Austria & Germany during WWII).

After the war he emigrated to Canada with his rabbi, and there he met a German lady, who came to Canada to work for a Canadian family. She converted to Judaism in order to marry him. All her family was left in Germany, in a small town near Frankfurt.

Step by step, we found out that my aunt, who was a pediatrician in the same town, was "in charge" of all her (mother) family's kids.

What are the chances????

We still keep in touch today.

Wow, that's pretty cool! When you think of so many scenarios that would have to have taken place, it's unbelieveable your paths crossed! It was meant to be. I guess we never know what's held in store for us when we sail and meet so many wonderful people.

You’re so right! If I saw such a thing in a movie I wouldn’t believe it was possible...I’m sure the odds of winning the lottery are much higher than the odds that we would ever meet. We both had chills, it was just crazy (and magical, it was a Disney ship after all [emoji12])!

At a M&M, a lady from Canada showed interest in me when she heard I'm from Israel.

Turns out her father was Jewish, part of the "kinder transport" (kids rescued to Britain from Austria & Germany during WWII).

After the war he emigrated to Canada with his rabbi, and there he met a German lady, who came to Canada to work for a Canadian family. She converted to Judaism in order to marry him. All her family was left in Germany, in a small town near Frankfurt.

Step by step, we found out that my aunt, who was a pediatrician in the same town, was "in charge" of all her (mother) family's kids.

What are the chances????

We still keep in touch today.

Amazing!!

שתהיה לך אחלה שבת! [emoji16]

I would have really enjoyed talking with him!

You truly would have, Bob. This gentleman, Bill, was in a group of six people we met in the DL. They invited my husband and I to join them. Nicest group of people you could ever meet, and they were so down to earth. One of the other men in the group owned a hospital. We sat with them whenever we were all in the DL and had so much fun with them. Bill had a great sense of humor, but usually didn't say too much. One night he was talking more, and we asked him what he did. When he said he was a retired Rocket Scientist, of course we laughed......we didn't believe him. After all, when was the last time you met a Rocket Scientist? Well, we certainly had met one, and he was so good about us not believing him. He said that's the usual response he gets. By the way, they were all soon to become Pinnacle. We found this out by asking them, otherwise I don't believe they would have ever mentioned it.

I used to live across the street from a rocket scientist.

Depending on where you are, they can be quite common. :D

I live just outside of Kennedy Space Center. They are strong in numbers here. ;)

Actually there were 2 individuals. They were a couple and spent some 6 months at a time on the Adventure OTS when we sailed out of San Juan many years ago. They were the most elegant and spiffily dressed individuals on the ship. Each night, one of the gentleman had a different and interesting man bag to go along with his haberdashery. One, I believe one was from Denmark, supposedly, of Danish Royalty and the other was from Majorca Spain.

Can't remember their names, but they are well known in RCL circle.

The most interesting has to be our last cruise on Empress back in March.. Im up on the pool deck having a smoke and a cocktail when a woman complimented me on my shirt (best A*****e husband ever) so we started making small talk.. As it turns out, they were from my hometown and I used to work with one of their sons when we were teenagers. I hadn't seen them in almost 30 years.. OMG this globe we live on is large.. yet it becomes tiny at certain points..

From that night on.. we had dinner together every night and now.. We try to get together for dinner at least once a month..

Three times off the top of my head.

First was a sports photographer/writer from Chicago who's main job was to get pictures at Bulls games of Michael Jordan. He had lots of conversations with him and said if it wasn't an actual interview, he came off as someone who didn't have a brain in his head.

Second was the guy from Bentonville, AK who worked for and knew Sam Walton personally.

Third was when we sat down at a 4 top and after a couple minutes the guy across from us calls me by name and asks how I am. Turns out we worked together 6 years earlier before his sudden resignation (wink wink)

What an interesting thread. I once met an older gentleman up in the Suites Lounge on Oasis. His work included development of the SPF scale for sunscreen. His name escapes me. Argh!

Was his name "Sonny"? ....I'm sorry. That one was too easy LOL

I used to live across the street from a rocket scientist.

Depending on where you are, they can be quite common. :D

Thanks, your comment makes sense. For me, growing up in a small town in the U.P. of Michigan meant there was a zero chance of my meeting one. I think that's why I was so impressed.