Most Interesting Person You've Ever Met On A Cruise

Not so much an interesting person, but an interesting story for a couple that we met. We were seated at a large table in the MDR with a family covering several generations (8-10 people??). The grandparents had been married a long time but could have known each other much longer. They both grew up in Puerto Rico a few streets away from each other, but didn't know each other. Both of their families later moved to NYC and they lived in the same neighborhood, but they still had never met each other. Eventually they met, married, and the rest is history. Fate?

We met a man who had just retired from the FAA. He said his father had been a fisherman in Cuba and left to seek asylum in the United States and started over. The man we spoke to was brought with his family as a child. He said they all became citizens. He said he had a Community College Degree, but managed to rise to a high grade in the FAA. He said he lived the American Dream.

His daughter wanted him to go back to visit Cuba with her and her husband when travel opened up, but he said his father had suffered so much there and he would not return.

His career in the FAA was interesting and the stories he told of his life here were, too.

I live just outside of Kennedy Space Center. They are strong in numbers here. ;)

Former Merritt Islander here. I have a hard time explaining how very un-sterotypically "south" parts about being raised on the island were. Sure -- lot's of southern hospitality, but with a heavy dose of California Rocket Scientists... my dad being one of those.

Preparing for our Explorer cruise in December of 2013, I encountered someone on the Roll Call for that cruise. After she ran into my daughter several times in the hall, I finally met her at the Meet and Mingle. We hit it off and have been best friends ever since, despite living 5 hours apart.

I fondly recall a widow we met on one of our cruises. She was traveling alone since the death of her husband, and although she missed him she would not allow that loss to affect her travel plans. She would run marathons in port! We met her at a large table in MTD one evening and she was absolutely lovely, fun, and in my opinion, to be admired. I don't know that I would travel extensively if my husband passed, but she was not letting anything get in her way.

Her name was Ronnie, if you ever happen to meet her one day. :)

I used to live across the street from a rocket scientist.

Depending on where you are, they can be quite common. :D

I've now lived in two cities with rocket scientists

Huntsville, AL

Cocoa Beach, FL

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Artie and Sue from Rego Park NY. Artie was a podiatrist who volunteered at Ground Zero after September 11th treating the feet of first responders. He also treated the paws of the K9 searchers who worked "The Pile". We stay in touch and visited them for dinner several years later when traveling through NYC. During our cruise with them Artie started having issues and turned out he was diagnosed with the lung issues common among people who worked the site.

They were avid cruisers and convinced us to try Oceania. For that I will never forgive them.

We meet interesting people on just about every cruise we take. We always strike up new friendships or kindle old ones.

The happy hour in the lounge, or the pool/hot tub on port days. Are great for meeting and talking to people.

To all we have met in the last 77 cruises with Royal. We say a fond hello, and happy cruising.

On Oasis this last March my daughter (16) was hanging with 10-15 other girls her age as well as a couple of boys. One of the boys was from England and spent the week telling terrific stories and keeping all the girls in awe.

On the last night this boy confessed and let them all know he was from Tampa. Apparently he pulls this charade and the fake accent every cruise he goes on.

I've now lived in two cities with rocket scientists

Huntsville, AL

Cocoa Beach, FL

I've not lived anywhere near a rocket scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last week. :rolleyes:

We were seated at an 8 top with three other couples. One couple was from Israel. The husband did not speak the first three nights but the wife was fun to talk with. He finally became animated when I made a comment about being afraid to visit Israel due to the troubles with the Palestinians. He got angry and said it was BS, it was perfectly safe. Later in the cruise they told a story about being delayed going home from a different cruise due to missiles being fired into their neighborhood.

I guess we all have different definitions of being safe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have met some lovely people but one of my favorites was a couple in their seventies. One night, I asked the woman how long she had been married. 40 years, impressive. The next night I was sitting my the man and he mentioned he had been married 29 years, odd. Turns out they were not married to each other. Both of their spouses had passed, yet the couples loved to cruise. So the survivors started cruising together, and let people like me assume they were married to each other. In any event, they were two lovely people and we enjoyed hearing their stories. Glad they found each other and were able to continue cruising together.

On the last night this boy confessed and let them all know he was from Tampa. Apparently he pulls this charade and the fake accent every cruise he goes on.

It's actually quite fascinating how common this is. There is not a doubt in my mind that some of the "impressive people" folks claim to have met were nothing other than pathological liars. It's not something that's unique to cruising, really any kind of travel or situation where you encounter a "stranger." It's really quite creepy. But that's life.

Numerous musicians, and actors.

A few sportspeople.

But the two most interesting was a lady who was related to the Royal Family, on QM2, not RCCL and was on her 19th World Cruise.

And a fellow who had been a military sniper, in Ireland during the troubles, and latter in the Australian Army one of the first 10 men to land in the lead up to Desert storm, (they were tasked with killing one man, who went into hiding, they eventually took him out, later he became a mercenary. He was scary, also suffered PTSD and I hate to think what would have happened if he cracked.

And a fellow who had been a military sniper, in Ireland during the troubles, and latter in the Australian Army one of the first 10 men to land in the lead up to Desert storm, (they were tasked with killing one man, who went into hiding, they eventually took him out, later he became a mercenary. He was scary, also suffered PTSD and I hate to think what would have happened if he cracked.

I've got a used car I can sell you...

Think what you like, why would I care what a stranger thinks, I met him, not you, I saw his medals and his discharge papers.

BTW the person they were tasked to kill wasn’t Saddam if that’s what you thought.

Actually there were 2 individuals. They were a couple and spent some 6 months at a time on the Adventure OTS when we sailed out of San Juan many years ago. They were the most elegant and spiffily dressed individuals on the ship. Each night, one of the gentleman had a different and interesting man bag to go along with his haberdashery. One, I believe one was from Denmark, supposedly, of Danish Royalty and the other was from Majorca Spain.

Can't remember their names, but they are well known in RCL circle.

Yes well known. They are now rightly permanently banned from RCCL due to repeated mistreatment and insulting of staff.

I met one person who has inspired me and I will remember the encounter for the rest of my life. It was a young man in his late twenties and he had no arms. Nothing from the shoulders so I assume prosthetics was out of the question. He did a lot of travelling and although he had a travel companion it was more of an acquaintance and he generally went about doing his own thing.

He had so many interesting stories about his travels and the places he visited. Not only did he need to overcome his disability but also the many taboos associated with him using his feet to eat and drink. So many things were a challenge.

I met him towards the end of my cruise but saw him around the ship and out and about at port stops. So many everyday things were remarkably challenging and somehow he managed and it didn't put him off travelling or being independent. To this day he has inspired me to overcome whatever challenges I face in my everyday life.

What an inspiration,it shows what you can do if you are determined enough.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Forums mobile app

We were on a cruise on Explorer for our honeymoon almost 17 years ago. Of course it was traditional dining and our table for six had a couple in their mid eighties and another couple in their mid-twenties (like us). At first we thought it odd to have such an older couple at our table but they were the most amazing people (the other couple were snooty and seeming horified to have to make small talk at diner). They owned a jewellery store and the wife always wore the most beautiful (and huge) jewelry and they dressed to the nines every night for dinner. We had the best conversations about life and marriage at dinner and even spent some other time with them on the cruise. We exchanged Christmas cards for a few years afterwards. It makes me sad to think that they must have passed on by now.

We once met a guy who was a retired circus performer. We had run into him and his wife (and several friends they were traveling with) many times on the ship and it seemed they were on every excursion we were on. He had one of those "larger than life" personalities and was just the kind of person you always noticed. We had commented on his gorgeous and elaborate tiger medallion in the hot tub one day and discovered that he had been the tiger handler with Circus Vargas for many years. He was a very interesting guy and we had a lot of fun with him and his group, even though we we were young enough to be their kids. :)

Actually there were 2 individuals. They were a couple and spent some 6 months at a time on the Adventure OTS when we sailed out of San Juan many years ago. They were the most elegant and spiffily dressed individuals on the ship. Each night, one of the gentleman had a different and interesting man bag to go along with his haberdashery. One, I believe one was from Denmark, supposedly, of Danish Royalty and the other was from Majorca Spain.

Can't remember their names, but they are well known in RCL circle.

We’ve met them, and they get our vote for the most interesting people we,be met. They sailed to San Juan on the Fall TA, stayed on the Adventure for the season, and then returned on the Spring TA. Did this for a number of years, and still might be doing it. We heard that they take two adjoining inside cabins, and use one just to store their wardrobes.