For all you cruisers that have to fly

socialsea

Apparently Southwest Airlines is having a mega seat sale. Started Wednesday and ends Friday. Seats start at $99.00 - $199.00 one way. I know I have been searching for a while for a flight from Detroit to Orlando for my cruise in November and the cheapest I can find is around $480.00

The only problem is the Southwest site is bogged down and I haven't been able to access it all day :mad: Maybe I will try again around midnight when everyone else is suppose to be sleeping :rolleyes:

I can not get on either. Trying for rt from Houston to Newark in Sept and would like one in Jan rt Houston to NO. I think it said you have ti fly by Dec 15 so I am probably out of luck on the last one. I will keep trying!!

This is the note that is on the site:

SYSTEM ALERT:Low fares are popular! Our sale is causing high demand right now so you may experience difficulty on Southwest.com. We’re working to fix the issue so please try back again soon!

I've been trying all day to make a reservation. Three times I got to the very end and when I hit the purchase key I got that damn error message. After the first two, I checked my credit card account and there were no charges. After the third time I said to hell with it, I'd worry about it in the morning. When I went to check my e-mails for the last time, there's a conformation, from Southwest for my flight. I don't know if that's the only one I'm going to get or will there be two more, just like it when I check my mail in the morning.

Heads up - US Airways is matching Southwest fares, taking advantage of the booking problems on the latter (At least this is true for Phoenix which is both a US and Southwest hub).

Perfect deal for folks who don't need to check a bag. Actually I need to check a bag and I still chose to do it tonight. I figured that $50 offsets the aggravation of trying to book and since I get a seat assignment right away, that's a ~$25 value comparatively.

My flights (already booked) went up. Sigh.. Would love to see them go down and get some points back. US Air wants $600 to fly one way home from San Juan to Tampa through Philly!. lol, I don't think so..

Edited by sr4mjc

My flights (already booked) went up. Sigh.. Would love to see them go down and get some points back. US Air wants $600 to fly one way home from San Juan to Tampa through Philly!. lol, I don't think so..

Mine went up too. Maybe Southwest has hired some Royal Caribbean marketing people.

I booked a Southwest flight yesterday to Baltimore by calling their 800 number. No extra fees added for the purchase over the phone.

I couldn't access the website last night - even got up at 3:00 a.m. and still down.

But it was up this morning at 5:30 a.m. Central Time but the one flight I need is not on sale, it's the same price as last week.

Last night I wasn't having much luck getting on the website. After 11:00 PM I finally got into the site. It took three tries with all of the entered information before I got a conformation to take successfully. On the good side of all of this it looks like the wife and I will be flying into the cruise terminal instead of a 450 mile drive. I bet the website will be crashing big time this Thursday. For those who succeed....... congratulations for having such patients. Tim

Do be aware of the restrictions on when (what days of the week) you can travel - just a few days out of the week, I believe. They're even tighter for Florida and Puerto Rico. So if you're not finding a sale fare, it might not be that you missed out, it may be that there never was one on the days you are looking for. And also, if you're flexible on dates in any capacity, amend them a bit to see if the sale applies to those days of the week. BUT, make sure you do all of the math - a $50 savings in a ticket is great, but not if you need to spend an extra $200 on hotel and food when you arrive a day earlier ;)

As a frequent flyer and poster on the Cruise Air board, you'd be surprised how many people fail to do the full mathematics.

I couldn't access the website last night - even got up at 3:00 a.m. and still down.

But it was up this morning at 5:30 a.m. Central Time but the one flight I need is not on sale, it's the same price as last week.

They definitely went fairly quick. We wanted a 9:50am flight for $49, but by the time we booked that fare had gone up to $99 so we ended up on an 8:00am flight for said $49.

(And the sale fares do start at $49, not $99...depends on origin and destination)

Edited by Zach1213

The SW sale ends today.

I saw a great rate for a round-trip Tampa to San Diego flight yesterday morning. I didn't have time to book it deciding that I would do it when I returned home yesterday evening.....well, as we all know the site was down and I panicked that I would not get the great sale fare.

After trying to book online unsuccessfully for over 3 hours, I finally gave up and called SW. They booked the flight for me and waived their normal fee to book-by-phone as the site was having major issues.

So, just a heads-up for anyone wanting to take advantage of the sale rates but unable to access the SW website.

Been searching for months for a RT from DFW-FLL for September. The highest I found was $300 and now today I found a fare for $224 on American. I priced it on SW and they wanted $266!! So happy that I found this fare and the best part is that I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn or rush off the ship when the cruise is over. My understanding was that AA and other airlines are matching SW so make sure to look at the other airlines as well.

Been searching for months for a RT from DFW-FLL for September. The highest I found was $300 and now today I found a fare for $224 on American. I priced it on SW and they wanted $266!! So happy that I found this fare and the best part is that I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn or rush off the ship when the cruise is over. My understanding was that AA and other airlines are matching SW so make sure to look at the other airlines as well.

I think the matching depends on the market. AA and UA have definitely not reduced to WN's level for the flights I was looking at.

Again people SW = Air Namibia. Southwest is WN. This is not splitting hairs !

Our local airport (SNA) is dominated by Southwest. The monitors and electronic signs at the gate only use the airline code and no other clue. If you aren't aware WN= Southwest there will be a moment (or more) of confusion trying to find your flight and gate.

Use of airline codes and not airline names is standard outside the USA at the airport, by airlines, and the popular media.