Spring Break on Vision with two teen daughters and non cruising wife

After many years of trying, I am finally getting my family on a cruise. I grew up with a travel agent father and cruised frequently growing up. I talked my wife into going on a Carnival cruise (Paradise if I remember right) in late November 2004. It was the first time we had left our 1 year old daughter. It was cold with rough seas and I had an extremely sea sick wife that was missing her baby.

We are Dave Ramsey followers so we stick to our vacation budget pretty tightly. I probably belong in the same group as cheapo dad and Mr Thin wallet. Usually the Spring break budget is $3000 max and it usually means driving to Las Vegas or Southern California to get a little sun.

About six months ago I found a 4 night cruise on Vision that would cost $75 per person per day with the kids sail free for our 8 year old. I asked my wife if we could bump the budget to $3500 and she agreed. Then she found out it was a cruise. Not as excited now and wishing she didnt give me that extra 500. But the kids were super excited when I told them it was on Royal Caribbean. They told me about how their friends have sailed Royal and loved the flowrider and waterslides etc..... Then I had to tell them it was one of the older ships without the bells and whistles. They still are excited.

So airfare to either Houston airport was going to be $700 per person. That alone would chew up the entire budget. We are flying into DFW, renting a car with points and driving the nearly 5 hours to Galveston. We are staying at the new Homewood Suites and boarding Vision of the Seas Monday April 2nd.

I am hoping the teens stay busy and have fun. I am hoping for calm seas and a non sea sick wife. We are bringing just about every motion sickness remedy that exists. We are going to try Izumi and possibly Chops for lunch. Looking forward to experiencing the legend of Captain Marek.

I am trying to get a 2019 Southern Caribbean itinerary booked for my wife and I for our 20th aniversary. So pwish us luck and 4 nights of cruising bliss over Spring break. I will follow up and let you know how it goes.

I was on Vision back in February, and I liked it. Captain Marek was on vacation back then, but I still had a great time. It's true, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but I didn't mind it at all.

Here are some photos. Maybe they can make your wife feel better about Vision of the Seas.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmgkfNyJ

So the drive from DFW to Galveston was not one I would recommend unless you are really saving some money.

We got Galveston about 6 PM. The Homewood Suites was new, beautiful and right across from the beach. The front desk was a little disorganized. Probably from it being so new. I wanted go somewhere with good local seafood. A few locals recommended Bennos. The crawfish were amazing and tasted fresh. The gumbo was also good. The fried food was a little over cooked.

Embarkation was fast and very efficient. There was not much waiting in line. Just after 11 we were on the ship and ready for some fun.

The food has been much better than I expected. Last night my wife and I ate in the MDR while the kids went to the Windjammer. They messaged me and said that the Jammer had lots of seafood. Sure enough there was a nice spread of shrimp, scallops, mussells and salmon. Plus they were serving the same lamb shanks and roast turkey that were being served in the MDR.

The teens had a pretty good time doing the get to know you games. The 8 year old had a blast at adventure ocean and begged to stay for an extra hour at the late night rate of $7. There is over 400 kids on this sailing. Spring breakers from Michigan, Minnesota and a bunch from Louisiana. There is very few college aged spring breakers.

Today we scheduled to do the sushi making class and hopefully lots of fun at sea. The ship is in great condition for being 20 years old. I just ran a speed test from our stateroom on deck 4. We are getting 2.7 download and 1.7 up. I have had no problem with the VOOM internet so far.

Edited by Rbullenut

The crew is superb on Vision! Don't worry, Vision will just whet your appetite for more! Save for a couple years, skip next years spring break and you'll be on a larger ship soon. I'd spring for Miami and Explorer of the Seas 5 day! Book a cruise for 2020 right now and save a bundle. Inside cabins go for around $2385.76for 4 interior cabin. This ship has flowrider etc.

Cheap flights to Miami abound!

I was on Vision back in February, and I liked it. Captain Marek was on vacation back then, but I still had a great time. It's true, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but I didn't mind it at all.

Here are some photos. Maybe they can make your wife feel better about Vision of the Seas.

Thanks for the pictures. We will be on the Vision of the Seas in August but on a Mediterranean cruise. First time on Royal Caribbean but definitely not first cruise.

Thanks for the GREAT pictures!!! Love the smaller ships!!!!

Captian Marek lives up to the hype!

Anytime you see a favorite captians thread, you see multiple people raving about captian Marek. Add us to the list. On day two he came he pulled up a small table next to my family and had breakfast with us. He talked about how much he has loved Texas and the people here and how much he was going to miss Texas. You see him all over the ship intetacting with guests. He genuinely cares about the guest experience and it shows. Last night he performed a couple of Bon Jovi songs and came out wearing cowboy boots that a guest had given him, jeans and a ball cap.

We did a New Year's cruise on Vision out of Tampa in 2016. Captain Marek was always all around the ship, so much so, that we joked about who was steering the ship? On New Year's Eve he played guitar with the band and did some Bon Jovi songs too! I hope the remainder of your cruise goes well!

The seas have been fairly calm on this sailing. My wife has had no issues at all with sea sickness. She is taking motion sickness medicine and it is working well. She has had such a good time that we just booked that Southern Itinerary on Freedom next year at the next cruise desk. When booking at the next cruise desk, pull up the same cabin on your phone to make sure it is in fact the lowest price. I found the same cruise and cabin for $100 cheaper. So she adjusted the price and we booked on the spot. So thanks for the positive wishes.