Contrary to what the boards prepared me for... :)

jwattle

This was our first time on Princess, after having been on mostly Celebrity, and then a few years absence from cruising; after reading these boards lately, we were a smidge worried about what to expect. Much to our relief, when we were on the Grand Princess November 13-28, 2017, we found the following:

* there was plenty of butter (without asking)

* pillows were VERYcomfortable

* beds were lovely

* towels were quite nice

* service was impressive as well!

* Oh, AND we got extra mains at the table (if people asked for a sample) with no up-charge or questions; at times the server brought a main for the table to "try" if she thought we'd like it.

In fact, we agreed, that this was our best cruise to date!:D:D

This was our first time on Princess, after having been on mostly Celebrity, and then a few years absence from cruising; after reading these boards lately, we were a smidge worried about what to expect. Much to our relief, when we were on the Grand Princess November 13-28, 2017, we found the following:

* beds were lovely

* towels were quite nice

* Oh, AND we got extra mains at the table (if people asked for a sample) with no up-charge or questions; at times the server brought a main for the table to "try" if she thought we'd like it.

That is fabulous!! Thanks for sharing your experience.

We are looking forward to our cruise on the Grand (next week!!)

We always take the super negative and overly positive reviews with a grain of salt and look at those somewhere in the middle. They tend to be the most realistic views.

While the Grand is showing her age IMHO, we have 3 future cruises booked on her nonetheless. The crew on her has been amazing each time we've sailed on her. I call her the ship of 'yes' because the staff seems to go out of their way to make everybody happy, happy, happy! I haven't sailed on her since she's gotten the new beds, which I hear are delightful. So, I can put up with the ship itself not having all the bells and whistles of the newer ships since they offer such great service. Oh ... and the no air travel is huge!!

So glad you were not discouraged by previous negative comments and really enjoyed your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This! You can't please everyone and everyone has different expectations so just because someone had a particular issue doesn't mean you will. Glad you have a great first cruise with Princess!

I have friends that cruised the Grand recently too and they had a great time! They echo many of your observations!

Always good to hear positive comments for a ship we are taking in 39 days to Hawaii. The oldest ship I had been on before the Grand was our cruises on the Sapphire. Can't wait for all those sea days to relax!

We just finished our first Princess cruise on the Coral. Panama Canal full transit. Have also been following these boards for months up to the cruise. We loved the boat and the cruise. All of the examples stated by the OP were true for us also. As post #12 says we also found the crew to be the crew of”yes”. In fact we found ourselves commenting that they never say “no”. Already planning a longer Princess cruise.

* beds were lovely

* towels were quite nice

What are extra mains?

This was our first time on Princess, ......

Thanks for your positive post! Kind of embarrassing that we had, for example, an 18 page thread about skimping on butter.:o (Yes, I realize most of those posts were tongue-in cheek, but...still!)

Entrees

I figured that was it, I've just never heard it called mains. I was surprised they commented that extra food was a treat, since they have been on other cruises. I could understand if this were their first ever cruise.

I'm a foodie and my favorite thing about cruising is in the main dining rooms you can always get as many different or several of the same servings of every item on the menus. I usually have at least 2 different appetizers, 3 or 4 entrees and 2 desserts. On lobster or scallop night, I order four portions. Also, if you find a particular meal you really enjoy early in your cruise, I have been able to have them prepare it again later in the cruise. This is pretty standard on all major cruise lines in my experience and there are no extra fees for the primary foods in the main dining rooms. This the main reason I never pay extra to eat in the up-charge specialty restaurants.

Also, I don't waste food, I clear my plates. I'm very fortunate my eating does not reflect my size.