A Religious matter

deeko

Hello to all CC readers.

CC is always a mine of information and also throws up things I hadn't even thought of.

I read on another thread that daily Mass was provided. That is an important matter to many people.

I wonder if provision is made for other Christian denominations, eg an ecumenical service for those who are not Roman Catholics.

Just a genuine question.

Thanks again to all responders.

Deeko

I am Methodist (aka "Catholic light") and I posed that question on one of my last HAL cruises. I do remember there be at least 1 ecumenical service, but I don't remember how frequent. Sorry if this doesn't help much....I just didn't see anyone else answering yet.

Hello,

Thank you for taking trouble to reply. I appreciate it.

I asked the question on another thread and had no response...so I started one today.

As I said it is a genuine question, always the risk it sounds sectarian......quite the opposite in fact!!

So thanks again.

Deeko

There are weekly inter denominational services and special services on religious holidays IIRC.

On some ships, the priest leads the service and, on others, it is done by those meeting.

This year's Voyage of the Vikings was the first without a Protestant pastor or a Rabbi. I was disappointed that HAL provided only the Catholic Priest.

However, we did have two superb Protestant ministers aboard to lead Sunday services.

Barbara

Hello,

Thank you for taking trouble to reply. I appreciate it.

I asked the question on another thread and had no response...so I started one today.

As I said it is a genuine question, always the risk it sounds sectarian......quite the opposite in fact!!

So thanks again.

Deeko

I don't think anyone took it as sectarian.

I'd guess it's really a matter of demographics: Catholics represent one of the larger denominations - and perhaps the one which most emphasizes the importance of attending service - and particularly on HAL - with an older mix - adherence is seen as more important.

I'd guess that having a priest on board is seen by HAL as more of a draw to Catholics than would having a minister of an other denomination. Also, since I believe that the communion ceremony is essential to Catholic worship, having a "professional" leading the service is perhaps seen as more important.

This year's Voyage of the Vikings was the first without a Protestant pastor or a Rabbi. I was disappointed that HAL provided only the Catholic Priest.

However, we did have two superb Protestant ministers aboard to lead Sunday services.

Barbara

You say there was no Protestant Pastor but t here were two superb Pro testant ministers. Confusing :confused: Could not the two superb M Inisters provide for the spiritual needs of their 'flock ? I am sorry to not understand. I get your point as to the Rabbi though , I am not sur e when vIiking ended but I suspect it could have been on or near the JEWISH High holydays of Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashonah . If the cruise was still going on those days, it would have been good to have a Rabbi.

Edited by sail7seas

Not an issue for us.....does not rank on any of our list of must haves or preferences.

Same.. cue a bunch of "but it's important to *me*" posts.:confused:

If it's not important to you and you have nothing to offer in the way of an answer to OP's question, why bother to post on this Thread? Or is it important to you for everyone to know that you are not religious, lest you be mistaken for those "deplorables" who "cling to their guns and Bibles"? Just curious.

Well there is certainly a huge difference between being religious/ having faith and being very public and demonstrable about that faith. I would assume that you are in the latter. We happen to be in the former and see no need to publicize it constantly-or at all for that matter. Faith to us is a very private matter. Alas, we do not have guns to cling on to.

Because it's come up so frequently as a comment on these boards especially lately

Do I care if someone is religious or not? No, but the UTMOST importance some put on having Catholic services(whilst other are poorly served) makes me shake my head.

I know that a Priest is provided for daily Mass, but I have seen Pastors and Rabbi's on board for High Holidays or at least a room set aside. I'm sure that it is hard to find people at certain times of the year or for longer voyages.

I know that a Priest is provided for daily Mass, but I have seen Pastors and Rabbi's on board for High Holidays or at least a room set aside. I'm sure that it is hard to find people at certain times of the year or for longer voyages.

At one time almost every cruise had a Protestant clergy on board. That got cut back a few years ago to contracting one for longer cruises or cruises over certain holidays. Not sure about a rabbi being on every cruise back a few years ago though I recall meeting one or two.

... Do I care if someone is religious or not? No, but the UTMOST importance some put on having Catholic services(whilst other are poorly served) makes me shake my head.

The reason there are still Roman Catholic priests on every HAL cruise is that the Apostleship of the Seas - USA pays all costs (and makes all arrangements) to find, recruit, vet and schedule priests for those cruises. It is very similar to what Catholics in the US (and probably other countries, as well) have done for years with education - we pay our taxes like everyone else and then fund our own schools because we see the value of a Catholic education. Through our support (funding) of AoS-USA, we do the same thing with the Cruise Ship Priest Program - provide priests for every HAL cruise.

We sailed with a couple who were Jewish, over Chanukah/Hanukkah. There was a room set aside with the observant passengers conducting the services. (Is "service" the correct term? Observance?)

Hello to all CC readers.

CC is always a mine of information and also throws up things I hadn't even thought of.

I read on another thread that daily Mass was provided. That is an important matter to many people.

I wonder if provision is made for other Christian denominations, eg an ecumenical service for those who are not Roman Catholics.

Just a genuine question.

Thanks again to all responders.

Deeko

I'm curious, if you have heard of Taizé, whether you'd be interested in such a service, if it were offered onboard. I have no idea if there has ever been a Taizé service on any cruise, and I wouldn't really expect it to ever happen, but it seems like a very nice idea.

Well there is certainly a huge difference between being religious/ having faith and being very public and demonstrable about that faith. I would assume that you are in the latter. We happen to be in the former and see no need to publicize it constantly-or at all for that matter. Faith to us is a very private matter. Alas, we do not have guns to cling on to.

We're with you. You don't need to advertise to keep your faith ;)

Because it's come up so frequently as a comment on these boards especially lately

I agree. It seems one particular poster revels in posting this over and over and over.

I agree, but I also believe that Christianity is in what you practice, day by day, not necessarily in what you preach. I don't get those that profess to be devout Christians whilst being plain mean and nasty to others, as is often evidenced in certain communities.

As to priests onboard, I know that many, if not most, of the crew are practicing Catholic, so I imagine that's why there is usually a priest at all times.

Now I am off to google Taize.....:o

You say there was no Protestant Pastor but t here were two superb Pro testant ministers. Confusing :confused: Could not the two superb M Inisters provide for the spiritual needs of their 'flock ? I am sorry to not understand. I get your point as to the Rabbi though , I am not sur e when vIiking ended but I suspect it could have been on or near the JEWISH High holydays of Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashonah . If the cruise was still going on those days, it would have been good to have a Rabbi.

I just got back from shopping. Sorry that my post was confusing.

Our 38-day Voyage of the Vikings was from Aug 2 to Sept 9.

The two superb Protestant ministers were fellow passengers. HAL did provide a room, hymnals, and keyboard for Sunday services.

In 2016 there was a Protestant minister on the VOV. Ours was a first for this change. I really felt abandoned by HAL, and they know it. According to the daily program, Protestant and Jewish services were "led by congregation". Catholic Mass was sometimes twice a day.

Thank you, Avian 777, for letting us know that Catholics pay to make sure that a Catholic Priest is aboard. I feel better now.

Barbara