Oceania Losing Ground - Just Back From Marina

californiacruiseluvrs

On Marina now also and This current cruise could not be better. Staff as good as it gets. Survice wonderful. Food great. Do not want to get off.

I agree, sad its going to be over in a few days, it's just flown by. Shame we haven't met. I guess I missed you at the M & G, I saw your name tags on the table, I guess you were busy.

I agree, sad its going to be over in a few days, it's just flown by. Shame we haven't met. I guess I missed you at the M & G, I saw your name tags on the table, I guess you were busy.

Not busy, just slept too late. We were at waves bar for the sail away but too cold to stay too long. Maybe we will see you in the next few days. Yes it has been too short but we will be back again.

• 1 year later...

We just completed a twelve day cruise on the Marina to French Polynesia. This was our first time cruising with Oceania and it will be our last time unfortunately. We are not new to cruising as the was our 15th cruise. We were attracted to Oceania because it offered this itinerary and is well known for its service and higher end offerings. 

We purchased a Penthouse 1 stateroom with O Life. It came with free WiFi service and $700 shipboard credit. We thought that was a reasonable deal even though the cruise cost was 30% more than what we previously paid for on Princess, Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. 

Although the itinerary was fabulous as was the service we received from our butler and room attendant, the rest was very lacking. To begin, our stateroom which was well appointed, was tiny by comparison to other junior suites we’ve had on other cruise lines.

The Executive Lounge was a joke - consisting of a coffee machine, a cooler with non alcoholic drinks and a tray of muffins, danish etc. 

The fitness room was tiny and offered a limited number of machines. The classes were held in a tiny room where 20 passengers were packed into for a variety of classes. The cycling class was restricted to 8 passengers primarily because that was all the bikes available. On a positive note, Diana the instructor was amazing. 

The WiFi service was the worst I have ever experienced on a ship. Understandably, WiFi service is always slow in a ship. However, the “free” WiFi did not allow passengers to use FaceTime. For that, you had to upgrade to the ship’s premium service at an added cost of $15/day. So really, there was no freebie. 

The excursions were unbelievably expensive. We only did one through the ship - a one hour glass bottom boat excursion at a cost of $129/person. This was one of the more reasonable excursions. 

Oceania is known for its fine dining. The specialty restaurants were very good. In particular, we loved the Asian fusion restaurant. However, the Terrace Cafe lacked variety and the main dining room was very unreliable. Some food was excellent while others were “so so”. 

We purchased transfers from Oceania for trips from the airport to ship and return. We paid a huge amount for a 10 minute ride which took 3 times longer to load at each end. Had we known, we would have taxied it both ways. 

The most remarkable flaw was the lack of passenger consideration. We boarded the ship during the late evening along with 200+ passengers following an eight hour overseas flight. There was no welcoming drink or food since all food service had ceased for the day. Surely, something could have been provided for 200 tired and hungry passengers. Similarly, upon leaving the ship at an early hour - also along with 200+ passengers, we weren’t offered coffee or muffins in the departure lounge. This is not a way to treat passengers. 

Needless to say, this was our first and last cruise with Oceania. 

23 minutes ago, drreena said:

We just completed a twelve day cruise on the Marina to French Polynesia. This was our first time cruising with Oceania and it will be our last time unfortunately. We are not new to cruising as the was our 15th cruise. We were attracted to Oceania because it offered this itinerary and is well known for its service and higher end offerings. 

We purchased a Penthouse 1 stateroom with O Life. It came with free WiFi service and $700 shipboard credit. We thought that was a reasonable deal even though the cruise cost was 30% more than what we previously paid for on Princess, Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. 

Although the itinerary was fabulous as was the service we received from our butler and room attendant, the rest was very lacking. To begin, our stateroom which was well appointed, was tiny by comparison to other junior suites we’ve had on other cruise lines.

The Executive Lounge was a joke - consisting of a coffee machine, a cooler with non alcoholic drinks and a tray of muffins, danish etc. 

The fitness room was tiny and offered a limited number of machines. The classes were held in a tiny room where 20 passengers were packed into for a variety of classes. The cycling class was restricted to 8 passengers primarily because that was all the bikes available. On a positive note, Diana the instructor was amazing. 

The WiFi service was the worst I have ever experienced on a ship. Understandably, WiFi service is always slow in a ship. However, the “free” WiFi did not allow passengers to use FaceTime. For that, you had to upgrade to the ship’s premium service at an added cost of $15/day. So really, there was no freebie. 

The excursions were unbelievably expensive. We only did one through the ship - a one hour glass bottom boat excursion at a cost of $129/person. This was one of the more reasonable excursions. 

Oceania is known for its fine dining. The specialty restaurants were very good. In particular, we loved the Asian fusion restaurant. However, the Terrace Cafe lacked variety and the main dining room was very unreliable. Some food was excellent while others were “so so”. 

We purchased transfers from Oceania for trips from the airport to ship and return. We paid a huge amount for a 10 minute ride which took 3 times longer to load at each end. Had we known, we would have taxied it both ways. 

The most remarkable flaw was the lack of passenger consideration. We boarded the ship during the late evening along with 200+ passengers following an eight hour overseas flight. There was no welcoming drink or food since all food service had ceased for the day. Surely, something could have been provided for 200 tired and hungry passengers. Similarly, upon leaving the ship at an early hour - also along with 200+ passengers, we weren’t offered coffee or muffins in the departure lounge. This is not a way to treat passengers. 

Needless to say, this was our first and last cruise with Oceania. 

I'm speechless. Sorry it didn't work out for you. 

• Like 1

boggles  the mind  :classic_blink:

People will spend that kind of money for an Oceania  cruise  & fly half way around the world  & not  research the size of the cabins  or distance to the port  to see if transportation is available other than O ($$)  transfers

Small ship = smaller public spaces /cabins than a ship that is  twice the size

JMO

• Like 1

Sorry that you didn’t enjoy the cruise. We far prefer Oceania to the cruise lines you mentioned but that is just the way things are - different things for different people.

The good news is that now you’ll know which cruise line to choose in the future.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

Personally if I were you, I would go back to the TA that booked you on this cruise and ream them out for providing you with very little information on an expensive cruise.  IMHO, it is their responsibility to ensure that you have all the information and expectations set before you commit to a cruise.   This only further stresses the importance of a good TA that regularly books a premium or luxury cruise line, so they can set up expectations and provide correct information.    And also that you found CC too late to assist you.  

I will write a fuller review of the February 10-22 Papeete-Papeete later. Overall a wonderful cruise and those points will be highlighted.

As pointed out above, WiFi service was horrendous! In fact the worst we have ever had on any cruise, including the one around Nordcapp into the Barents Sea when we were warned it would be poor! Buying an upgrade didn’t provide better service only more revenue for Oceania. Getting emails to download was rare and sending emails was near impossible. The joke was on anyone that read the brochures and believed streaming anything would be possible!

Again a fuller review later, preparing to leave on a full island Tahiti tour, but while overall service in other venues was exceptional, service in the Terrace stank! Seems mgt has decided upon having only one adult beverage waiter in the Terrace so even though those not wanting a glass of wine or beer with dinner or lunch would not care or notice that service was essentially nonexistent for those of us that might! 

Later with detail examples!

44 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I will write a fuller review of the February 10-22 Papeete-Papeete later. Overall a wonderful cruise and those points will be highlighted.

As pointed out above, WiFi service was horrendous! In fact the worst we have ever had on any cruise, including the one around Nordcapp into the Barents Sea when we were warned it would be poor! Buying an upgrade didn’t provide better service only more revenue for Oceania. Getting emails to download was rare and sending emails was near impossible. The joke was on anyone that read the brochures and believed streaming anything would be possible!

Again a fuller review later, preparing to leave on a full island Tahiti tour, but while overall service in other venues was exceptional, service in the Terrace stank! Seems mgt has decided upon having only one adult beverage waiter in the Terrace so even though those not wanting a glass of wine or beer with dinner or lunch would not care or notice that service was essentially nonexistent for those of us that might! 

Later with detail examples!

The issue with the wine server at pretty much all meals on our last Oceania cruise was as you described. I mentioned it on my cruise comment card. Those that say it's intentional to reduce consumption of those on the packages might be on to something. One of the few reductions I've seen on O. 

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like your cruise.  In my opinion, it's all about expectations.  If you know what to expect before you board you are less likely to be disappointed. We recently returned from a 12-day Royal Caribbean cruise and we enjoyed it very much.  We have an Oceania cruise booked for this summer. We like Royal Caribbean and Oceania for different reasons. What one offers the other may not, and vice versa. 

Royal Caribbean's internet is amazingly good but you're going to pay $30+ per day for it. It is not included in the fare as is Oceania's.  You mentioned that you got a $700 OBC - I have never seen that much on RC. On Oceania you don't pay extra to dine in the specialty restaurants. On RC, it depends on the specialty restaurant but you may pay as much as $50/person to have dinner there.  If you want lobster in the main dining room, you'll pay an extra $30 for it. You also pay extra for specialty coffees, bottled water and soda on RC. Those are all included in Oceania's fare.  If you want room service on RC, you will pay $8/person/meal for it. You can see where I'm going with this.

The executive lounge that you describe is very similar to what RC offers.  Regarding the size of the fitness room, it's a smaller ship with fewer passengers on Oceania so it's reasonable to expect that it will be smaller than a larger ship's fitness room. Never take the ship's transfer on any cruise line because it's going to be at a highly inflated price. 

Although I can't comment on your particular cruise, all I can say is to do research before you book any cruise and set expectations in advance of boarding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

boggles  the mind  :classic_blink:

People will spend that kind of money for an Oceania  cruise  & fly half way around the world  & not  research the size of the cabins  or distance to the port  to see if transportation is available other than O ($$)  transfers

Small ship = smaller public spaces /cabins than a ship that is  twice the size

JMO

In part you are correct, but otherwise not.

I did do considerable research for this cruise. In fact, I personally spoke to people who previously cruised with Oceania. They raved about the food, service and stateroom. Perhaps, these people didn't have a different point of reference. My error (and I'll admit that it's a big one) was making some assumptions. First off, I assumed that junior suites regardless of the cruise line are more or less the same size because they are in the junior suite category. Obviously, this is a false assumption. I also assumed that airport to ship (and vice versa) transfer fees are equivalent across cruise lines. Again, a false assumption. Celebrity & Royal Caribbean transfer fees were one third of the price of Oceania. In fact, the transfers in both cases were for distances that were considerably greater than for this cruise. In both cases, the trips to and from the ports (i.e., Seattle and Rome, respectively) were no less than 30 minutes and in both cases, we paid approximately $40/person each way. On another Celebrity cruise, we did pay more ($135) but that also included a guided two hour city tour of Santiago Chile in addition to the 90 minute drive from the port to the airport. 

I came away from our Oceania cruise feeling gouged on a number of fronts (i.e., port transfer fees, liquor prices, wifi upgrades, excursion costs etc.).  Independent of this, as previously noted,  the lack of passenger consideration,  the lack of variety in food choices at the Terrace Cafe and lack of consistency in the quality of food in the main dining room added to my decision to never cruise with Oceania again.  

Just now, drreena said:

In part you are correct, but otherwise not.

I did do considerable research for this cruise. In fact, I personally spoke to people who previously cruised with Oceania. They raved about the food, service and stateroom. Perhaps, these people didn't have a different point of reference. My error (and I'll admit that it's a big one) was making some assumptions. First off, I assumed that junior suites regardless of the cruise line are more or less the same size because they are in the junior suite category. Obviously, this is a false assumption. I also assumed that airport to ship (and vice versa) transfer fees are equivalent across cruise lines. Again, a false assumption. Celebrity & Royal Caribbean transfer fees were one third of the price of Oceania. In fact, the transfers in both cases were for distances that were considerably greater than for this cruise. In both cases, the trips to and from the ports (i.e., Seattle and Rome, respectively) were no less than 30 minutes and in both cases, we paid approximately $40/person each way. On another Celebrity cruise, we did pay more ($135) but that also included a guided two hour city tour of Santiago Chile in addition to the 90 minute drive from the port to the airport. 

I came away from our Oceania cruise feeling gouged on a number of fronts (i.e., port transfer fees, liquor prices, wifi upgrades, excursion costs etc.).  Independent of this, as previously noted,  the lack of passenger consideration,  the lack of variety in food choices at the Terrace Cafe and lack of consistency in the quality of food in the main dining room added to my decision to never cruise with Oceania again.  

Did you not have  the transfer  charges listed on your invoice ??

Never assume  when you are trying a new line .

What size is  a Jr Suite that you are used to?

I will  agree  the food is sometimes hit or miss  on Oceania 

We just order something else  to our liking 

It is too bad  that your expectations  were not met

At least now you know what lines suit you best

We were on our first O cruise from 1/3 to 1/21. Overall we thought the atmosphere, service and food were excellent.

The only problem we had with WiFi was before we reached Easter Island, it was nonexistent for several days . After leaving that island there were very few issues, occasional outages but for the most part reasonable speed for checking emails, social media and websites. We didn't try streaming anything though.

I agree that the fitness center was not adequate for the number of people that wanted to participate in the classes. With 10 sea days, I wanted to get in as much physical activity as possible but the class room size and number of people in the class turned me away. We did ask if the morning stretch class could be held out on deck but this request was denied. Cardio dance classes were held on the Marina Lounge stage. I went several times but as time went on there were just too many people to move around safely. I made do with walking the decks in the morning incorporating the stairs into my route.

We enjoyed the Terrace for many meals and thought the variety on offer was great. Yes, there were standard items that were offered at each meal from the grill. But everyday there were unique offerings available at the various other stations that were a lot of fun to try.

While the adult beverage service at the outside tables of the Terrace was very good, indoors it was a chore to get bar service. The one exception that stands out was when I ordered a Bloody Mary one day. What I received was clearly just vodka and regular tomato juice with a sprinkle of pepper and a stick of celery. When the waiter noticed I wasn't drinking it he asked me why. I told him and he offered to have it replaced. I said that wasn't necessary but he really wanted to make it right, so off he went. He returned with a much better version. (nice & spicy!). That he took the time to ask and then went out of his way to make it right was a very nice exception to the bar service we received there otherwise!

We thought that the staff and crew were wonderful with just a very few exceptions. The General Manager (Mark, I believe) always stopped and chatted whenever we encountered him around the ship. He even "surfed" with us in the hallway when the seas were a bit rough!

image.thumb.png.fe94d45d7466edee2b633d5fe67f6764.png

While everything wasn't perfect, nothing is. We will definitely cruise with Oceania in the future!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drreena said:

All Oceania ships provide 24 hour room service, no upcharge.

Edited by KatieBelle
addition
  • Like 2

Drreena's comments are the very reason why I make it a point NEVER to say to a new passenger, "you're going to love Oceania."  Just because WE do doesn't mean everyone will.  This is not intended as a criticism of those who don't appreciate Oceania!  But we should be careful about how often we tell newbies they will have a perfect vacation.  Not everyone does.

Mura

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mura said:

Drreena's comments are the very reason why I make it a point NEVER to say to a new passenger, "you're going to love Oceania."  Just because WE do doesn't mean everyone will.  This is not intended as a criticism of those who don't appreciate Oceania!  But we should be careful about how often we tell newbies they will have a perfect vacation.  Not everyone does.

Mura

O.K.  But the vast majority of us do.   O is the cruise line of choice for us even though there are  some  things we don't like at times.  Nothing in this life is perfect. 

I too just returned from Papeete R/T on Marina Oceania Suite - Our first Oceania cruise.  (1/31/2019 - 2/10/2019) I can only compare top level suites to our Oceania cruise, although some things are skewed because French Polynesia is somewhat of a different animal.  We thoroughly enjoyed our Oceania excursions.  (The glass bottom boat was pretty lame but it was one of our "free" excursions.)  We booked our own air reservations.  We booked our own taxi service.

I will say that both Celebrity and NCL have a much more exclusive top suite experience, but one of Oceania's claims to fame is that there is NOT a class distinction on their line.  We found the ship, itinerary, employees and other passengers delightful.  We did six Oceania excursions and two private excursions and enjoyed them all - even the Glass Bottom Boat.  As for the food,  we found the main dining room ok.  Food selection was hit or miss, service and ambiance were very nice.  We have very unsophisticated pallets and Oceania was very good about adjusting selections to our taste.  The specialties - good service, food, and atmosphere.  (Celebrity top suites: the specialties included, NCL: extra cost.) The private suite dining on Celebrity and NCL are very good. 

We liked the Oceania product and dollar-for-dollar have found Oceania prices comparable to Celebrity and NCL.  When we took this cruise we already had another Oceania cruise booked for October 2019 and we are looking forward to it.

• Like 1

To - californiacruisluvre  s -

Sorry you got such a poor cruise.  I assume since you mention many (7?) prior Oceania cruises that this might be regarded as the exception to the rule.  (feel free to post on the thread I started "Can Oceania survive Viking") .  I thought my last Oceania cruise was sub-par for  many of the same reasons, but I also, upon reflection, noted that I compared it to my previous Oceania cruise that I regarded as exceptional.

The following questions come to mind:

1) Did you write your concerns in the mid-cruise and end of cruise surveys?

2) Did you ever see and then, if the time seemed right, take the opportunity to directly voice your concerns directly to the General Manager or location staff supervisors, etc.?

3) Did you use "Please", "Thank You" and the individuals name enough?  (If so, then your comments abut staff attitude are probably appropriate).

4)  How full was the ship?  And were many of the Oceania staff and crew new to the ship, Oceania, or cruise line work?

Have a good Viking cruise. (PS - my wife got glared at by the Viking Sea captain for sitting in his favorite seat at the breakfast buffet - we learned from this and avoided that seat for the rest of the cruise)

Edited by UDSpud
broken sentances - spacing
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RJB said:

O.K.  But the vast majority of us do.   O is the cruise line of choice for us even though there are  some  things we don't like at times.  Nothing in this life is perfect. 

I think you missed my point.  Yes, most of us here do.  But not everyone does.  I just think it's not wise to tell everybody else they are going to love it because some of them won't.  You aren't wrong for loving it, I'm not wrong for loving it, and those that don't love it aren't wrong either.

Enough said.

1 hour ago, Mura said:

I think you missed my point.  Yes, most of us here do.  But not everyone does.  I just think it's not wise to tell everybody else they are going to love it because some of them won't.  You aren't wrong for loving it, I'm not wrong for loving it, and those that don't love it aren't wrong either.

Enough said.

Mira,

you are correct and well said. We are all entitled to our opinions. That is why they make 34 flavors of ice cream. 

James

7 hours ago, ORV said:

The issue with the wine server at pretty much all meals on our last Oceania cruise was as you described. I mentioned it on my cruise comment card. Those that say it's intentional to reduce consumption of those on the packages might be on to something. One of the few reductions I've seen on O. 

I have never experienced any delay with wine service and I always buy a premium wine package. As a matter of fact, the sommelier usually stops at the table almost immediately upon being seated with a bottle of wine thst I had the night before and places that bottle very near our table so that if they are busy, the Head Waiter can fill my glass. 

James

We haven't been in a PH on the Marina nor have we been in the equivalent on Celebrity.  We have been on the Marina twice in B1 balcony cabins.  I am surprised to hear that the PH is comparatively small. The OV cabins and balcony cabins up though Concierge are 240 square feet on the Marina, not including the balcony. This is significantly larger than the equivalent cabins on Celebrity (and on RC as well). So I am surprised about the PH size. Oceania's latest brochure has PH as 420 square feet, including the balcony. How large is the equivalent level cabin on Celebrity?

Back to the comments about the drink package (which we do not take since DH usually takes orange juice, no ice when we're in a bar)... It's hard for me to believe that at $60/day pp the line would deliberately try to limit people's imbibing.  That's a good way to lose $60/day.

There may be other reasons for limiting staff available to serve, which is something else.

Our last cruise was on Riviera in May 2019.  The only problem we had with getting drinks was when our butler brought our bottle up to Terrace but we never received it.  (Yes, we did get it back later.)  There was a communication problem -- we had even asked the wine steward about our bottle but she didn't connect us with with missing bottle.

And we've never had a problem ordering a glass of wine in any restaurant.  Some delays have occurred, of course.  But rarely were we upset.

I'm not trying to deny that the described problems occurred.  Things happen from ship to ship ... but this has never occurred to us.

Mura