Summit from Bayonne NJ - Staue of Liberty

bobby1119

I happened to be walking my dog yesterday afternoon along the wonderful Liberty State Park waterfront when Summit was departing Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ.

Instead of proceeding south to the VN Bridge and out to sea, Summit turned north, instead, and proceeded past the Statue of Liberty, pivoted 180 degrees, then proceeded south to the bridge and out to sea.

I have sailed on Summit, Silhouette, and Explorer of the Seas from Cape Liberty, and all departures proceeded directly towards the bridge. I was wondering if anyone knows if proceeding up river to pass the statue is a new feature.

The passengers had to have had a thrill as they passed side by side the outbound Norwegian Gem directly in front of the statue, with Norwegian Breakaway not too far behind and Queen Mary 2 over in Brooklyn.

It was a beautiful day and a fine ship-spotting one, too.

Very nice! I've never heard of Summit,or any ship sailing out of Bayonne, doing that. They should make it standard procedure. Sailing past the Statue is a big part of the thrill of sailing out of Manhattan. With Summit having 2 full sea days going to Bermuda, as opposed to 1, there certainly is time to do it (as long as the Port Authority allows them).

We sailed on the Summit last week and returned yesterday morning. Our cruise did not begin with sailing past the Statue of Liberty, but it would have definitely been a great experience for the beginning of our voyage. I hope that they continue to do so from now on.

I googled "Celebrity Summit Statue of Liberty" and found a youtube video of the Summit sailing past the Statue of Liberty in August 2011. It would be very nice if this becomes a regular event.

A pass by of the Statue may depend on harbor traffic. NY is a busy waterway with cargo ships , tankers and other cruise ships all choreographed to move smoothly through the waters, many at the same time.

It would be nice however to see Lady Liberty up close like those sailing out of other ports in NY.

bosco

We were on the Summit last week (June 14-21). Our return flight left EWR on 4:00PM. From the plane, we were lucky to be able to see the Summit leaving Bayonne but were surprised to see she was moving North rather than South as she did for us on the 14th. I now have my answer; too bad she didn't do it for us.

We also saw the Breakaway sailing South on the Hudson from her Manhattan pier and the QEII docked on her pier in Brooklyn.

Very nice views!

I happened to be walking my dog yesterday afternoon along the wonderful Liberty State Park waterfront when Summit was departing Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ.

Instead of proceeding south to the VN Bridge and out to sea, Summit turned north, instead, and proceeded past the Statue of Liberty, pivoted 180 degrees, then proceeded south to the bridge and out to sea.

WOW. We have sailed out of Cape Liberty 12 times (Constellation, Summit, Silhouette and Explorer) and none of our sailings have done that.

I was disappointed that we were not going to go past the Statue of Liberty when we sailed on June 14, but one of the employees at the Port told us to look starboard when the Summit passes the "Tear Drop" sculpture given to the USA by Russia after 9/11. It is absolutely stunning. So, if you are Starboard watch out for it. One of the most touching tributes I have ever seen.

Sometimes things happen on ships due to the passengers. Perhaps there was a war veteran's group on board...who knows.

We were on an RCL ship out of bayonne and had a police helicopter flying over us and around the ship...presumably for security. Then the helicopter started to do almost acrobatics....dropping to water level and vertically rising and so on....quite a performance. It turned out that the police pilot's mother was standing about five feet from me waving at him.

I googled "Celebrity Summit Statue of Liberty" and found a youtube video of the Summit sailing past the Statue of Liberty in August 2011. It would be very nice if this becomes a regular event.

I did the same, & I think that video is of the normal route out of Bayonne showing her passing south of the Statue. I think the Op meant that she turned north, sailed past the Statue, did a 180, & sailed beck down towards the Bridge.

Rich: I agree with you. The you tube video is the normal departure Route from cape liberty. The Web cam, located in staten island is all zoomed in, compressing the picture, making the summit look as if it's passing the statue.

Still keeping our fingers crossed the ship will, in fact, head north and u - turn at the statue for our August trip.

That would be an awesome treat for cruisers. Our 2 cruises from Bayonne passed the rear of Lady Liberty but yrs ago leaving from NYC on Connie...we were late leaving port and passed by her...all lit up..worth being late for dinner,

also leaving/returning Bayonne...do not miss the 9 11 teardrop memorial....very moving!

Hi. We just got off the Summit this morning, and it was as Hcat surmised, awesome that Capt. Leo was able to take us into the harbor and cruise past lady liberty before exiting the harbor and heading to Bermuda. I think everyone was up top to get a good view. Really a special treat.

There didn't seem to be as much boat traffic in the harbor as usual, which maybe allowed hi to do it. He did announce that it was a special treat they were allowed.t would be cool if it continues.

Renda