Organizing Cruise Cabin – Privacy Curtain

CrzN4Info

I wanted to share a few things that we do to organize our cruise cabin but before I start....

· Yes, I know to some this is silly and a waste of time, however; it takes me less than 10 min to set everything up.

· Yes, I know to some it might not be worth carrying/packing the extra items but all the items combined are small enough to fit in the front pocket of your carry-on.

· Yes, I know this subject has been on the message boards before but I have a few things to share that I haven’t seen on the boards and something brand NEW we tried on our cruise last week.

So here goes….

Privacy Curtain / Shower Curtain

First here is the NEW thing we tried this cruise. My husband and 14-year-old daughter LOVED it. A Privacy Curtain (AKA Shower Curtain)!!

My husband is a tall man and as anyone on this message board can attest the bathrooms on cruise ships don’t leave you much room to change clothes after your shower or before dinner. This isn’t normally a problem unless you are a mom not wanting to get dressed in front of your teen age son or in our case a father not wanting to get dressed in front of his 14-year-old daughter or her in front of him. This option gave them both plenty of room right outside the bathroom and now they both say they won’t ever go on a cruise without it.

It only cost $12 and easily folds into a sandwich bag. I looked for one that was dark enough so you couldn’t see through it but also light weight. It almost feels like chiffon material.

Since the shower curtain already has holes in it all we had to do was use the super strong magnetic hooks we got. (see link below for website). I used a zip tie to keep two holes together to shorten the width.

Room Divider

We also used the shower curtain one time as a privacy curtain between the bed and the couch when my niece came over from her cabin to spend the night with my daughter. The ceilings are also magnetic so all we had to do was put the magnetic hooks on the ceiling and hang the shower curtain.

shower%20curtain_zpsujjy0jvg.jpg

Super Strong Magnetic Hooks

Just like others I have seen on the boards we also use clips to keep the daily planner on the wall where we can find it but had trouble finding strong enough clips to hold up other things. These clips are super strong unlike the ones we used in the past. We learned about them on http://www.cruisetipstv.com/marketplace/.

We also purchased hooks to keep up the shower curtain, my daughters purse, her small wall organizer (see below), and my husband’s dress shirt on a hanger while he used wrinkle release.

Here is where we got them. They are anywhere between $12-$14 for four and well worth the money.

· Learning Resources Super Strong Magnetic Hooks

· https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Super-Strong-Magnetic/dp/B004DJ6580/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491231720&sr=8-1&keywords=%E2%80%A2%09Learning+Resources+Super+Strong+Magnetic+Hooks

· Learning Resources Super Strong Magnetic Clips

· https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Super-Strong-Magnetic/dp/B006SDCCXQ/ref=pd_sim_229_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=03GCZJS6H5ADY412W199

E3B2C48B-D9CE-4B26-A813-4239F38F23C4_zpszdtinbcq.jpg

6 or 4 Pocket Wall Organizer

I got this wall organizer at the Dollar Tree. My daughter uses it above the couch/bed where she sleeps to hold all her important things.

099DEF99-4EF3-4A39-AD96-4C561836B6A0_zpsgu1eppdo.jpg

Dollar Tree Boxes

We use these collapsible boxes to throw small items, snacks, etc in. It keeps the area by the TV clutter free so things won’t drop on the floor or get misplaced.

6BD2B24C-804C-416F-A1AC-AB288B05DB32_zpsslrwvm2k.jpg

Shower Caddy

We never go on a cruise without one of these. It cost a whopping $2.50. The best part is that we just throw it in wash when we get home. Yes, I know we can use what the cruise provides, however; some in my family are more particular about what they want to use and some must use certain products due to skin allergies. This keeps all our shower items separate and easy to access.

B83474EF-1A58-4BE2-ABF6-E48A24FC943C_zpszbyyrdfj.jpg

The Shoe Rack

Yes, the good old shoe rack that a lot of us on the message board use. The only difference between mine and others is that I cut off the last two rows and sewed it to make it smaller when packing.

D2269092-3A89-45F7-8C62-BB6DD7AADA3E_zps3dfbrwxi.jpg

I put those super strong magnetic hooks on my Amazon wish list, now they will get moved over to my cart! Thanks for the tips(and the endorsement for the hooks).

We actually use the clip version of those same hooks. Find them more versatile, as they can do everything the hook can do - plus more. We now have two sets (8 total) that we take on every cruise. Either way, highly recommended.

Mike

Great ideas! THank you for sharing your tips.

Last year, my mom and I, went on a 7 day and we got knid of messy by the end. This year we're going for a full two weeks. Some of these ideas will work well for us.

Don't you just love the Dollar stores?

We use the magnetic hooks and the ones with the clip, but not for a shower curtain. We use the folding boxes for our toiletries, hair dryer,brushes, etc. Keeps things neat and no scrambling to find things when it's time to get ready. Grab the box and head to the shower and then you grab it to finish getting ready at the dresser.

Mrs Dawg loves your idea. And we don't even travel with our kids anymore.:confused:

She wants to know where she can find one of those shower cutains that is also sound proof.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

LOL, my daughter sure wishes it was sound proof!

How is that show organizer staying on the wall? What is it hooked to?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The shower caddy has a hook which we used on this cruise to go around the shower head, however; sometimes we have to take the hook off and just use the other part to put around the shower head. Here is what it looks like up close.

84162449-5292-4C49-AD4D-4EF25D63CC66_zpsxl2kf5dy.jpg

May I add a tip that I find very useful? I struggled for many cruises where to put the worn clothing. I did not want to mix them with the clean ones. I bought a collapsible hamper...At the dollar store. It fits nicely in my suitcase and tucks away so soiled clothing is out of site. A fabric softener sheet keeps it fresh smelling till it reaches the washer

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

May I add a tip that I find very useful? I struggled for many cruises where to put the worn clothing. I did not want to mix them with the clean ones. I bought a collapsible hamper...At the dollar store. It fits nicely in my suitcase and tucks away so soiled clothing is out of site. A fabric softener sheet keeps it fresh smelling till it reaches the washer

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

We think just alike!! :-) I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of mine in the room. It fit perfectly between the closet and the wooden frame around the bed. We were still able to get into the closet with no problem. Here is a picture of what mine looks like and where we put it. I got mine from Wal-Mart.

EF8468E4-01BA-4977-B0B9-C5ABD27E096E_zpsiduqtv9j.jpg

I never have room to take too much extra stuff but I did take a hamper last time and from now on will always do it. Thinking about taking a foldable tote next time if I have room. I think maybe a thirty one small totes,

I wanted to share a few things that we do to organize our cruise cabin but before I start....

· Yes, I know to some this is silly and a waste of time, however; it takes me less than 10 min to set everything up.

· Yes, I know to some it might not be worth carrying/packing the extra items but all the items combined are small enough to fit in the front pocket of your carry-on.

· Yes, I know this subject has been on the message boards before but I have a few things to share that I haven’t seen on the boards and something brand NEW we tried on our cruise last week.

So here goes….

Privacy Curtain / Shower Curtain

First here is the NEW thing we tried this cruise. My husband and 14-year-old daughter LOVED it. A Privacy Curtain (AKA Shower Curtain)!!

My husband is a tall man and as anyone on this message board can attest the bathrooms on cruise ships don’t leave you much room to change clothes after your shower or before dinner. This isn’t normally a problem unless you are a mom not wanting to get dressed in front of your teen age son or in our case a father not wanting to get dressed in front of his 14-year-old daughter or her in front of him. This option gave them both plenty of room right outside the bathroom and now they both say they won’t ever go on a cruise without it.

It only cost $12 and easily folds into a sandwich bag. I looked for one that was dark enough so you couldn’t see through it but also light weight. It almost feels like chiffon material.

Since the shower curtain already has holes in it all we had to do was use the super strong magnetic hooks we got. (see link below for website). I used a zip tie to keep two holes together to shorten the width.

Room Divider

We also used the shower curtain one time as a privacy curtain between the bed and the couch when my niece came over from her cabin to spend the night with my daughter. The ceilings are also magnetic so all we had to do was put the magnetic hooks on the ceiling and hang the shower curtain.

shower%20curtain_zpsujjy0jvg.jpg

Super Strong Magnetic Hooks

Just like others I have seen on the boards we also use clips to keep the daily planner on the wall where we can find it but had trouble finding strong enough clips to hold up other things. These clips are super strong unlike the ones we used in the past. We learned about them on http://www.cruisetipstv.com/marketplace/.

We also purchased hooks to keep up the shower curtain, my daughters purse, her small wall organizer (see below), and my husband’s dress shirt on a hanger while he used wrinkle release.

Here is where we got them. They are anywhere between $12-$14 for four and well worth the money.

· Learning Resources Super Strong Magnetic Hooks

· https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Super-Strong-Magnetic/dp/B004DJ6580/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491231720&sr=8-1&keywords=%E2%80%A2%09Learning+Resources+Super+Strong+Magnetic+Hooks

· Learning Resources Super Strong Magnetic Clips

· https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Super-Strong-Magnetic/dp/B006SDCCXQ/ref=pd_sim_229_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=03GCZJS6H5ADY412W199

E3B2C48B-D9CE-4B26-A813-4239F38F23C4_zpszdtinbcq.jpg

6 or 4 Pocket Wall Organizer

I got this wall organizer at the Dollar Tree. My daughter uses it above the couch/bed where she sleeps to hold all her important things.

099DEF99-4EF3-4A39-AD96-4C561836B6A0_zpsgu1eppdo.jpg

Dollar Tree Boxes

We use these collapsible boxes to throw small items, snacks, etc in. It keeps the area by the TV clutter free so things won’t drop on the floor or get misplaced.

6BD2B24C-804C-416F-A1AC-AB288B05DB32_zpsslrwvm2k.jpg

Shower Caddy

We never go on a cruise without one of these. It cost a whopping $2.50. The best part is that we just throw it in wash when we get home. Yes, I know we can use what the cruise provides, however; some in my family are more particular about what they want to use and some must use certain products due to skin allergies. This keeps all our shower items separate and easy to access.

B83474EF-1A58-4BE2-ABF6-E48A24FC943C_zpszbyyrdfj.jpg

The Shoe Rack

Yes, the good old shoe rack that a lot of us on the message board use. The only difference between mine and others is that I cut off the last two rows and sewed it to make it smaller when packing.

D2269092-3A89-45F7-8C62-BB6DD7AADA3E_zps3dfbrwxi.jpg

Awesome ideas! We are taking our 15 year old daughter this time and your ideas rock![emoji2]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

This is such a useful post - a big thank you! I had been struggling with what to use for a privacy curtain and you just solved it. Up till then, I was thinking of adapting a large fine cotton, long, Ikea curtain, but your idea is much simpler.