Just off Navigator...100% Honest (& Lengthy) Review

Going into this trip, I’ve read so many reviews on this website about how RCCL is “going downhill,” that the MDR food was lackluster, that the ships older than the Oasis class with a few years on them are showing their age, etc. You’re likely on here doing the same thing in anticipation of your own cruise, so you deserve a 100% honest review from someone who isn’t jaded, longing for the days of yore, or here to reminisce about how things “used to be” since you want to know exactly how things are going right now (or over the past week in my case). Here it goes:

Don’t listen to anyone on CC saying that RCCL has “lost a step.” Want to be happy with your upcoming cruise? Manage your expectations, expect ahead of time that there may be a hiccup or two (whether it is with check-in, baggage, reservations, room, etc.), know in advance that a dish or two at the MDR or Windjammer may miss the mark, don’t overpay for your room (Thinwallet 101), and you’ll be thoroughly satisfied the same way we were.

Here are the details from our trip:

5 nights on the Navigator, departing out of Miami on 1/28/18. Day at sea, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Day at sea.

Mrs. Thinwallet and I paid a total of $763.66 through *************, and got $75 OBC. With gratuities and applying the OBC to the gratuities, the grand total of this trip came out to $838.66. Interior cabin on Level 7. For the two of us, the cost came out to $167 per night in a super clean and quiet room, with 3 solid meals plus snacks, entertainment, and more activities than we could do. At that price, it kind of felt like stealing.

Embarking was a breeze. We were at the dock at 10:30am. $17.38 on Lyft (frequently cheaper by a dollar or two than Uber, and certainly cheaper than a cab) to get from MIA to the Miami Port. (I tipped the driver $5 because Mrs. Thinwallet's cell phone fell out of her pocket, and instead of driving off with it, he ran up to us to hand it back to her. That's a 5-star move if I've ever seen one!) Checked in by 10:40. On the boat by 11. Eating lunch in he Windjammer by noon. In our room by 1:15pm. And poolside with a drink in hand by 1:30pm. By the time the ship left the port at 5pm, we had forgotten all about the crappy weather back home in the Midwest. Newbies: Do the online check-in ahead of time; it makes checking in a breeze. By the time we were boarding right around 11, there was a line for those without any C&A status, but no line whatsoever for any status level.

All breakfasts were had in the Windjammer. All were a solid 9-9.5 out of 10. Only areas for improvement: Mrs. Thinwallet says better coffee. I’d like more seating in the Windjammer, which only needs more seating for breakfasts at peak times. Both are a fleet-wide thing, and unlikely to change. Pro tip from the CC message boards that was heeded: Skip the eggs sitting on plates, and go straight for one of the 5 or 6 omelette stations (there are a bunch, and the wait was all of 3 Minutes from the time she took the order til it was done). Always hot, always made to order.

Lunches: All in the Windjammer with the exception of a rare Thinwallet splurge on Chops for lunch on Day 4. (I’ll get to Chops later.). Windjammer lunches were a solid 8 out of 10. Here’s the skinny: It’s a buffet. There are lots of options. Some are there to appeal to the foreigners, most are there to appeal to everyone. Despite all the options, I pass on 90% of them for whatever reason. If I don’t feel like brisket or schnitzel the minute I happen to walk by, I keep walking. Like every buffet I’ve ever been to, I go for the prime cuts of whatever looks good...but that’s always everyone’s buffet strategy since the beginning of buffet-time. I never left the Windjammer feeling less than full or disappointed. Are their buffet lunches mind-blowing and incredible? Meh...hard to say, since our appetites are diminished since only 3-4 hours earlier Mrs. Thinwallet and I were feasting on a breakfast that was quadruple the size of what we normally eat for breakfast. Nor did we ever discuss trying the MDR for lunch. It’s a buffet, and you’ll likely find something enjoyable. (As an aside, I don’t think I’ve ever raved about any buffet at any point more than 20 minutes after I’ve left in my life. If it’s really good, I over-eat, and have to warn Mrs. Thinwallet that I may pop a button and take out her eye. If it’s not so good, I keep scavenging until I find something enjoyable.) I didn’t want to take the time to go to the MDR, so it’s on me if I’m anything less than fully satisfied from eating at the Windjammer for lunch.

Dinners were all MDR. We did My Time dining, and I booked all of our times online about a month ahead of time. That’s the move. On two nights, we didn’t want to wait until the times I selected. That was not a problem. On the first instance when we called an audible, we waited less than 10 minutes. On the 2nd night we called an audible, we waited less than 3 minutes. The crew working the desk were like air-traffic controllers, who competently managed constantly moving parts and variables like total pros.

The MDR dinner service was solid top to bottom. Those without reservations never seemed to have a long wait. Those with reservations were seated within 2 minutes of arrival, at most. The dining room was clean, and the menu was your typical MDR fare with classics and rotating dishes. Overall, the dinners were consistently 8.5-9.5’s. Things that were very good disappeared from our plates quite quickly. At no point was anything over cooked, undercooked, noticeably lackluster, or cold. If the MDR were a neighborhood restaurant, we’d be regular customers at the right price. Given what we paid, it’s well within the price range where we feel like we are getting a good meal at a good value.

Several MDR notes: Ask for a change of server at the check-in desk after night one if you think the waiter, location, or your “neighbors” are lackluster. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you want to sit by the window, you’ve got to ask. They’re going to try to sit you at the same table the whole trip, so speak up early if you want a change. The same goes for the people seated nearby. (We had two old farts sitting next to us on two of the nights. I don’t think they were happy about anything, ever, on the entire trip—including the brightness of the sun or the coldness of the ice cream. I’m sure he’ll be posting on CC in a bit, saying how cruising on RCCL is akin to the conditions on the Mayflower, minus the scurvy. That said, their crotchety banter didn’t bother Mrs. Thinwallet or me...it’s just a reminder not to be “that guy” when I’m his age.)

We often got multiple appetizers and an extra entree to split. Been doing it for years, and they never bat an eye. That move certainly helps our hit ratio, so if an appetizer or main dish misses the mark, we’re safe with the “backup.”

Overall, Mrs. Thinwallet and I are of the opinion is that the quality of the food in the MDR is (“still”) great. Better than the all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and Punta Cana, and better than the Windjammer for dinner. Let me put it this way: It’s satisfying enough that, in our humble opinion, it is NOT worth paying $25-40/per person per night just to go to a specialty restaurant because you’re missing out on an enjoyable “free” dinner in the MDR.

Best MDR dessert according to Mrs. Thinwallet was Key Lime Pie. She enjoyed the appetizer variety, and always found at least one or two main dishes she wanted to try. The desserts were fine, but sweetness is a matter of preference. The MDR deserts seem to err on the side of not being super sweet.

(One thing to note about the menu: If you’re on RCCL several times a year, I’m sure some of these dishes get monotonous. That’s the downfall of cruising one line. If that’s your top RCCL complaint, maybe it’s time for a change of scenery. Sure, you won’t have your C&A status, but I guess you’ve got to take the good with the bad.)

Chops for Lunch: This was a steal for the Thinwallets at $17.60 per person, inclusive of gratuity. I saw this deal about a week before the departure, but at no point prior or during. I'd say it's akin to a Ruth’s Chris-quality fillet, and they had way better cheesecake than the MDR. It is a very filling meal, and best followed by an afternoon lounging poolside. And from my research, the lunch menu is pretty much the same as the dinner menu. The 8oz fillet was too much for Mrs. Thinwallet to handle, so I took the ~3oz portion she couldn’t finish; I didn’t complain. The meal is a true value at the lunchtime discount...but not worth $35+ (or more) per person to eat several hours later at dinner. If you want to try a specialty restaurant once to see what the buzz is about, go with this lunch special. I think you’ll agree with the Thinwallets on this one. It’s a splurge worth doing maybe once a trip, but not a necessity by any means. (We have a 7-night cruise to the ABC’s booked in April, but won’t likely do the Chops lunch again, even at the discounted price.)

Entertainment shipwide was quite enjoyable. The magician was incredible and funnier than the comedian. The comedian was par for the course, which is to say mediocre at best (there are better comedians headlining your local comedy club every Thursday-Sunday night, hands down. Really good comedians don't want to play cruiselines. It's an industry-wide sentiment. Former industry insider here.). The song and dance shows were satisfying, but probably not for kids. The ice show is a must-see. The poolside band was top notch, as was the piano player in the 4th floor piano bar. Daniel, the activities director on the Navigator, should have an hour stand-up act every night...that guy’s wit when it comes to crowd interaction + a microphone is comedy gold. His narration of the poolside shows (world’s sexiest man & belly flop competition) is second to none. The cruise director Cuddy was pleasant, but he and the captain were mostly absent from the festivities we attended. Daniel was the star of the staff anyway, which was fine by me. Overall, there is plenty to do, and plenty of entertainment going on at all times. I tried the Flowrider, and called it quits after one ride. (Not my thing.) I also tried climbing the rock wall, and was thoroughly satisfied with the activity. Both are activities where adults won’t log much time, but they’re worth doing if you’re active and want a thrill.

One note of caution: BE CAREFUL WALKING AROUND THE POOL DECK ANYWHERE CLOSE TO THE POOL. Mrs. Thinwallet and I saw an old lady slip and fall (and likely break her arm judging from the sling she had to wear the next 3 days), which was only made worse by seeing another woman fall on her left side maybe 15 minutes later. We saw her limping and sporting a huge bruise on her leg as we were exiting the ship. Vacation survival tip: If there is no remaining tread on your flip flops, don’t pack them on your upcoming RCCL trip. Even if you have a tread on your shoes, treat the pool deck like you’re walking on ice. It’s a simple fix for RCCL — mix some sand with some clear paint/lacquer to provide some traction on the pool deck. Traction is a concern of every boat owner and pool owner, but apparently not for RCCL. From what I witnessed (many people slipping and skidding, plus several falls), and myself having a couple of slips and near falls on this trip despite a lifetime of recreational ice hockey experience, I doubt this is anywhere on RCCL’s to-do list. But it needs to be. The lifeguards responded to more slip-and-falls around the pool than they did to any incident in the 3 swimming pools. I personally witnessed multiple vacations being ruined because of the slippery pool deck. I'm sure there were countless others I didn't personally witness. Heed this advice, and don’t allow yours to be ruined either.

The crowd: The ship was sold out, but at no point did it feel crowded. For those posting saying that RCCL is trying to add more rooms...it wouldn't have made one bit of difference if there were 100 additional passengers on this ship. Here's the deal though, even on ships that aren't sold out: If you want a couple of chairs near the pool, better get out there by 10:15am, or earlier, on sea days. There are plenty of empty chairs after that time on the upper deck and in the shade, but the veteran “chair hogs” (and frankly, those of us who know anything about supply and demand) are out in full force. Because they have to be. You can tell the experienced cruisers who enjoy sunbathing based upon their oversized towel clips. (As I type this, Mrs. Thinwallet is browsing for some on Amazon since they’re a must-have on a windy day.) N.B.: Don’t expect the pool staff to enforce any sort of “rule” about reserving chairs. It’s like trying to fight the weather. It may not be “fair,” so just plan accordingly. The solarium filled up with claimed chairs around the pool by 9:00am or so, but a good 70% of those chairs were actually occupied at that time. Again, since you know how people play the game, make sure you adjust your game-plan accordingly.

Rum runners: Easy to bring onboard if you don’t pack too many. Your free mixers are lemonade, OJ, and that’s about it. Keep that in mind when you’re deciding what to put in them. A diet coke (mixer) was $3.45 per can. Still better than the $7 Jack + Coke plus gratuity, but RCCL isn’t Celebrity, so they don’t allow you to bring on any soft drinks.

2 bottles of wine: We could’ve brought 4 bottles, with 2 in each carry-on. They didn’t even care/check. That seems to be normal in my experience, but it could just be port specific, and even specific to whomever happens to be working the security line I pick. Pro tip: The guy working the scanner who looks like he’d rather be anywhere else in the world doing anything else in the world is the guy you want to go to if you want to do extra bottles of wine or rum runners in the carry-on bag. (Haven’t tried it yet, but I may give it a go and play dumb if we are questioned next time why both Mrs. Thinwallet and I each have 2 bottles of wine. I’ll tell her to speak the other language she knows, which gives me even more confidence in this plan.)

Overall Areas for Improvement: Late night dining options. There is no Sorrentos on the Navigator. The pizza they have onboard sucks. It's basically the only thing on CC that I've seen with 100% agreement. The sandwiches are fine, but there’s typically a 5-7 minute wait late at night at the Promenade Cafe, which is the only late-night venue on the Navigator. The $8 or $9 room service fee is a turn-off, and who knows how long it would take. As such, if you're one who loves to eat a lot after dinner, just know that you've got severely limited choices. The only good news there is that it's harder to gain weight.

The MDR “classic” main dishes (strip steak, fish of the day, chicken, burger) scream “stay away” to me. I'm not sure why, but they seem plain and uninspired. We didn’t even consider any of those. Classic appetizers are still on our radar. Escargot and Caesar salad were good, and ordered multiple times. Escargot needs to be very hot to be a win, which it was one out of the two times Mrs. Thinwallet got it.

Kids: Very few (7-10% of the passengers on this trip), likely because it did not coincide with any school trips. That was nice, because it was not a kid-centric trip. There were no meltdowns in the MDR, and only a few in the Windjammer. If you pick the wrong itinerary, I’m sure this can be an issue. So pick the right itinerary when kids are all in school if this is an issue for you.

Rudeness: Sure, there were a few passengers who seemed like jerks, but out of several thousand people onboard, nobody stood out. Mrs. Thinwallet’s attitude on this is spot on: Don’t let some miserable prick ruin your vacation. If you hear someone complaining about something trivial, like the old farts who were seated close to us two nights during our MDR dinners, just be thankful that’s not your spouse, and you don’t have to live with that person every day.

The only blatant a-hole move we encountered was when someone jacked our table at breakfast, but he didn’t seem to have any clue that our silverware and waters were any indicator of it being a “reserved” table. We should’ve put down something more, even a piece of fruit or a cup of juice. Lesson learned.

At no point did I witness any staff member with a less-than-stellar attitude.

The Drink Package: The Thinwallets had many-a-discussion about the merits of the drink package. We paid $838 all-in for the cruise without the drink package. Adding the booze drink package for the two of us would’ve added $531, basically increasing the cost of the trip by more than 60%. That is a tough sell, especially since Mrs. Thinwallet isn’t much of a drinker. Sure, there are plenty who got their money’s worth on the drink package since they always had a margarita, mudslide, or beer in their hand, but if you’re not seeking a buzz the entire trip, the package is too expensive to justify it for those on the Thinwallet plan. When we become “Thickwallets” instead of Thinwallets, this view may change. Bring the two bottles of wine (or try the 2 per carry-on) next time. Rum runners can supplement the buzz if you’re down with the risk. If you have access to the diamond lounge, you get drinks in there (or the 3 drinks added to your card depending on how they’re handling it for the trip) for free. Set aside a budget for what you’re willing to spend, and stick with it. Jack & Cokes were $7 plus the gratuity. The first time I ordered one from the pool bar, I noticed the bartender watch me to see if I wrote in an extra gratuity as he was pouring. I did, and he rewarded my generosity with basically an extra shot. He thanked me for the extra buck. I kept specifically going back to him, and we did the same dance several times, all with the same mutually beneficial results. (One thing to note: If the drink package is available to one spouse only, and not mandatory for both spouses, I probably would've done it for myself since I could easily do 5 or more drinks per day on a 5-night cruise; that's a tough pace for a 7-night cruise though).

10-Drink Cards: I read about them on CC. They appeared in the Cruise Compass on Day 4 (day at sea, final full day on the boat), which we got on the night of Day 3. 10 Drinks for $75 + 18% gratuity. It said that they were “still available” and could be purchased at any bar. Had I purchased one the night I saw it (meaning we would’ve had about 30 hours for the two of us to drink 10 drinks, certainly possible since the Mrs. would only have one or two and I like to party) we would’ve put it to good use. That said, for it to be of a true value, you’ve got to go with the good wines, mudslides, margaritas, and pricey specialty frozen drinks, since the typical Jack & coke drink was $7.

Cozumel: Too windy, so we stayed onboard as our sailing/snorkeling excursion on the Tucan was cancelled. There are a few sweet spots onboard where you can avoid the wind and get some sun. Look around, and you’ll see the pros camped out in them.

Costa Maya: If you’re looking for a beach day, go to Tropicante. Great beach, great prices, and great service. $30 60-minute massages, which were worth every penny. Mrs. Thinwallet and I took full advantage. It is easy to get to, and they take reservations by email. Steve, the owner, had 2 loungers waiting for us when we showed up, just as we requested. One thing to note: there are no ATMs outside of the port area. The entire beach strip is devoid of places to pull out cash, so come prepared. My understanding is that basically every beach bar and restaurant is cash only. The food at Tropicante is excellent, and the drinks are too good of a price to skip. You’ll spend more than you think because you’re being waited on like you’re royalty. I’d go back to Costa Maya and Tropicante in a second, that’s how good of a stop it was. The trip downtown to the beach area costs $2-3 each person and takes 8-10 Minutes in the shuttle or a cab. Leave the port area, as it’s nothing but commercialized crap. We felt entirely safe. The people there seem to know that should there by any noteworthy incidents, the party for the entire cruise stop is over.

Managing Expectations & Value: Given what we paid, there’s no way we could’ve gotten the quality and value of this trip doing a hotel in any warm environment that included meals + entertainment. (Even an all-inclusive in Mexico or DR, at that price, would’ve been tough to find. Plus, the entertainment typically sucks and the nightlife is non-existent at the all-inclusives, as their only true selling feature over the cruise is the unlimited booze. Moreover, people start and end their vacations on every day of the week, so there is no energetic vibe the way there is on a cruise when everyone is starting their vacation on the same day).

That said, if we paid $3,000 for this trip instead of $838 (which I’m sure plenty of couples did with a suite booked without any eye on the fluctuating prices + drink package + meal package + Internet + some of the gimmicks along the way), I’d probably be on here complaining how RCCL has “lost a step.” Even then, in my opinion that’s not an RCCL problem...that’s a value problem, and in particular a “you” problem because you overpaid for pretty much the same thing I got at a third of the price. But I didn’t pay that kind of scratch, so I’m not complaining since my expectations were easily met (and frequently exceeded thanks to the lowered expectations from all of the CC complaints I read in the month leading up to the trip).

I can only speak for myself, and the Thinwallets out there (you too could be a Thinwallet), who are a frugal bunch who look for value wherever possible. Paying 3-5 times as much for the nicer and slightly bigger room (where we spend no time other than showering and eating) is not in the Thinwallet playbook, since it doesn’t ensure that any of the entertainment is going to be any better, the service is going to be any better, or the weather is going to be better. We're still 15-20 years away from retirement, and avid Dave Ramsey followers, so everything is on a budget. That said, we’d rather take more cruises more frequently with interior cabins vs going all out on any one particular cruise...but that’s our personal preference. Saving money when we can is how we got the Thinwallet moniker, and why we are avid fans of cruising since, if it is done right, can be an incredible value. When we are sitting on a couple mil and are completely financially independent, our tastes may change. But value still matters to us at this point, and this trip was a tremendous value.

Disembarking: Also a breeze. From the time we stepped foot on the bridgeway until the time we were in a taxi may have been 15 minutes max. I didn't try using Uber or Lyft, since it would've been chaotic for the driver to find us, and vice versa.

Final words: Don’t go nuts reading all of the “sky is falling at RCCL” posts on this website. My guess is that most are by people who have paid 2-3x more for the same experience that Mrs. Thinwallet and I had, or by people who simply are bored with the food and entertainment provided by RCCL as it is monotonous to them. Realistically, I can’t expect RCCL to change its menu and entertainment frequently, simply because I cruise them frequently. If I go to the same restaurant over and over, it’s not the chef’s fault if he has the same general rotating menu and I get tired of the options. Chipotle hasn't changed it's core menu in a decade, but there's always a wait.

Was RCCL food waaayyy better before the shift to specialty restaurants? Sure, the same way I’m convinced that my favorite ribs restaurant tasted better 20 years ago when the price was half of what it charges now, and I remember when airline travel used to be pleasant. But this is 2018. RCCL is a value-oriented cruiseline, not the highest of high-end brands. Quit expecting it to be. If you want the highest of high quality where everything is expected to be a 10/10, book a higher-end cruise line and pay way more. (I’m talking about the cruise lines that include the premium drinks and excursions in the ticket price, the Thinwallets would never even consider paying since they’re so darn high...like Regent, Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn). I certainly didn’t expect perfect 10’s across the board at the $838 we paid for this cruise, and that’s why I’m very happy with the trip because my expectations were met and exceeded. As Mrs. Thinwallet frequently reminds me: You’re on vacation. Quit sweating the small stuff and have some fun.

Finally, if you’ve got an upcoming trip on the Navigator, you’ll be happy to know it’s in great shape, and the crew is excellent. There are only a few areas that needed a little TLC, but nothing worth logging onto CC to complain about. It is a nice sized ship, with plenty of fun, dancing, and music to be found at all times. I’m hoping the Adventure in April is just as good!

Bottom line: This review was written by a frugal guy who got a great price on a cruise I wouldn’t have booked had it cost 3-5 times as much. Some reviews you read are by people who pay way more for basically the same trip, which skews their perspective. Would I be on here raving about this trip if I paid $3,000+ instead of $838? Nope. At that price, I would've done a better itinerary on a higher-end cruise line. RCCL makes money off of people who splurge, not value-hunters like me. Then again, I’m a big fan of the state of the RCCL product when I’m able to book it at a great price. And I'm the one on my phone typing this review the entire 2.5 hour flight back to the snowy midwest, because I'd rather let you know that things are alive and well at RCCL instead of watching the free movie I downloaded off of Amazon Prime (yes, there's a download feature...you don't have to be connected to the internet to watch TV shows and movies anymore). Keep in mind that the reviews people post on here can be directly correlated to what they paid, but nobody on this website tells you what they paid, or that they overpaid for their trip. Have fun out there.

Great review! The best price we paid for a cruise ( albeit a 4 night) was $150pp. Probably one of 2 horrible cabins we've had with no room to put anything and flooded bathroom. But... We still had a pretty good time!

I've been cruise shopping today myself, and you've given me some food for thought. Budgeting is the greatest tool.. Wish I'd known how to follow one years ago!

You might be my long lost brother. We to love to cruise ( five booked for this year ) and stay in inside rooms. I can relate to everything you wrote and will be on Navigator in three weeks doing same itinerary. Already booked at Tropicante ( love it ) We don't drink or gamble so our cruises are very $$$ friendly. This will be our third cruise on Navigator and are looking forward to having a great time. Thanks for taking the time to express your views.

"Manage your expectations".... Yep. After 20 yrs cruising on grey hulls, my thus far only cruise blew me away. Food, service, scenery, all top notch. Room was a bit warm at first, made a stop at first relations, johnny on the spot they fix the A/C. Some folks just like to fuss. Others, maybe are used to "How it used to be", me? I'm just in the moment!

Thanks for the wonderfully honest opinion!! I love that when people are out to have a wonderful vacation and really want to have fun they can....no matter how much they pay! Positive thinking, a great attitude and putting aside rudeness makes for an amazing vacation!

Awesome review and attitude. We are on the Nav in 3 weeks as well, and am proud to say we are on deck 7, inside, we picked our cabin, paid $667 for the 2 of us, and received $100 OBC! We don't drink or gamble, nor support the added cost venues. We expect less, just glad to be on a vacation! And when we leave the ship, we will take some of the OBC with us!!

Thanks! We did the ABC cruise in January and loved it! Had to bypass Labadee due to weather but got into Curacao the next evening. You will definitely enjoy that itinerary!

April we are doing the 5 day cruise...looking forward to that one also!