Has anyone purposefully taken a cruise and flown home from one port?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:34 AM.
Winter Garden, FL
1,045 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
So I have a crazy question. I am getting married on Grand Turk this November during Thanksgiving week. I have some guests that want to attend the cruise and our wedding but want to fly home for Thanksgiving. Has anyone ever taken a cruise and flown home from a port rather than finishing the cruise?

It is cheaper for them to join the cruise than to fly round trip and stay at the resort for 3 nights. He asked if this was possible, and I have no idea, so I am turning to all of you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean
Sovereign of the Seas - 9/06
Enchantment of the Seas - 11/07
Monarch of the Seas - 5/09
Monarch of the Seas - 4/10
Enchantment of the Seas - 12/14

Norwegian
NCL Epic 11/12
NCL Getaway 11/22/15 - 40th Birthday Party
NCL Sky 4/15/16
NCL Getaway Take 2 - 11/20/16 First Blended Family 7 night Cruise

Carnival
Carnival Liberty 4/14
Carnival Valor - 6/12/16 Graduation Cruise
Carnival Sunshine - 4/28/17 - Southern Caribbean!

Upcoming:

Carnival Conquest - Thanksgiving 2018 - Wedding Cruise!
Crown Princess - Honeymoon - Southern Caribbean Cruise 12/7
Carnival Breeze - April 2019
NCL Epic - December 2019
NCL Encore - April 2020
New Mexico
2,407 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
You will have to contact the cruise line to find out their policy. I wouldn't assume that it is okay.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our cruises: https://rnrtackett.smugmug.com/Cruises
Our full photo site: https://rnrtackett.smugmug.com/
All my videos: https://vimeo.com/user466791

Next cruise: Carnival VISTA - Apr 2019
Last cruise: Carnival Glory - May 2018: https://rnrtackett.smugmug.com/Cruis...Carnival-Glory
All Previous: Carnival Freedom (2x), Magic (2x), Liberty, Glory, Legend Alaska, Breeze.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3,706 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
They couldn't really stop you from doing this.... As far as policy goes and what not, worth calling and asking.
Coastal GA USA
23,741 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Cruise lines used to okay this routinely, but since it changes the entire cruise from a closed loop, there is more expensive paperwork for the cruise line, submitting new manifests and requiring heavier scrutiny of the ship when it returns to the home port. It is doubtful that it will be approved. There have been many questions about this. EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Celebrity Equinox 08/25/18
Carnival Splendor 1/14/18 13 nites
Carnival Elation 12/11/17 5 nites
Carnival Fascination 10/8/17 4 nites
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
805 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Essiesmom
Cruise lines used to okay this routinely, but since it changes the entire cruise from a closed loop, there is more expensive paperwork for the cruise line, submitting new manifests and requiring heavier scrutiny of the ship when it returns to the home port. It is doubtful that it will be approved. There have been many questions about this. EM
How can they prevent someone from doing this? I can see them telling someone who asks that they shouldn't... but if someone should accidently on-purpose misses the ship, what can they do about it?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carolina Coast
3,879 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by PrincessArlena'sDad
How can they prevent someone from doing this? I can see them telling someone who asks that they shouldn't... but if someone should accidently on-purpose misses the ship, what can they do about it?
Maybe something to do with the customs laws in the country they're getting off on?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Smooth Sailing -- Summersigh
HAL–Ryndam–Alaska 2006 Cunard–QM2–TA 2008 HAL–Westerdam–ECarib-Xmas 2009
CCL–Fascination–Bahamas 2010 RCCL–Enchantment OTS–NE/Can 2011 RRCL-FreedomOTS-WCarib-2012 CCL-Legend-ExoticWest-2013 HAL–Westerdam–EasCarib-2013 RCCL-GrandeurOTS-Bermuda-2014 HAL–Eurodam–WestCarib-2015 CCL-Sunshine-EastCarib-Jan 2016 and-May 2016 HAL–Zuiderdam–PC–Dec 2016 ** 2017 cancelled due to health issues :-( CCL-Elation-Eastern-May 2018 CCL-Breeze-Dec 2018
New York City
1,329 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
What could happen is they will get flagged at the departing airport for having no entry stamp in their passports. I actually got caught up in this flying out of Germany several years ago because the German entry stamp was so faint (low ink on arrival) that no one (including me) could find it for nearly an hour and the Germans were not going to let me board the flight back to the U.S. Whether the departing country your friends will be flying from will be as strict is uncertain.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Miami-Havana-Miami (1951: P&O S.S. Florida)

Miami-Ocho Rios-Grand Cayman-Miami

Lisbon-Cadiz-Casablanca-Funchal-Ft. Lauderdale

New York-St. George-Hamilton-New York
Florida
2,697 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Not sure, but that might violate the Jones Act. The cruise line might be fined and it's possible that fine could be passed on to the passengers who violated the act. Not sure, though. I remember reading a long thread about this exact thing a few years ago. Do a search here on the boards, it should come up.
Winter Garden, FL
1,045 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Thanks. I am trying to convince them to just invite the rest of the family on the cruise to make this a non issue.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean
Sovereign of the Seas - 9/06
Enchantment of the Seas - 11/07
Monarch of the Seas - 5/09
Monarch of the Seas - 4/10
Enchantment of the Seas - 12/14

Norwegian
NCL Epic 11/12
NCL Getaway 11/22/15 - 40th Birthday Party
NCL Sky 4/15/16
NCL Getaway Take 2 - 11/20/16 First Blended Family 7 night Cruise

Carnival
Carnival Liberty 4/14
Carnival Valor - 6/12/16 Graduation Cruise
Carnival Sunshine - 4/28/17 - Southern Caribbean!

Upcoming:

Carnival Conquest - Thanksgiving 2018 - Wedding Cruise!
Crown Princess - Honeymoon - Southern Caribbean Cruise 12/7
Carnival Breeze - April 2019
NCL Epic - December 2019
NCL Encore - April 2020
The Big Easy
19,869 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by oncruisecontrol
Not sure, but that might violate the Jones Act. The cruise line might be fined and it's possible that fine could be passed on to the passengers who violated the act. Not sure, though. I remember reading a long thread about this exact thing a few years ago. Do a search here on the boards, it should come up.
It's the PVSA. But no, as long as they disembark in a foreign port, it wouldn't be a PVSA violation.
Florida
2,697 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Aquahound
It's the PVSA. But no, as long as they disembark in a foreign port, it wouldn't be a PVSA violation.
Okay the Passenger Vessel Services Act. I have since looked that up, but it seems that a fine may be implied (but maybe I'm reading it wrong).
26 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
I have a friend that had received a free cruise from CCL two years ago. He and and a friend redeemed the cruise and boarded it. They scheduled the cruise around some business that his buddy had to do in Jamaica. They both debarked the ship in Jamaica with their baggage and were questioned by Carnival as to why they wouldn’t be finishing out the itenerary but CCL can’t stop you from getting off in any port. He did say that he and his buddy were questioned heavily by maybe the Jamaican Customs as to why they had gotten off the ship and planned to fly home. He said that the questioning was pretty extensive and that his buddy had to make a call to Jeb Bush and get him involved to get them out of the country. So I would say that you can do it, but it would be way more of a pain in the neck to deal with than just flying and staying at the resort. I can see where it would look very suspicious to the cruise line and to the foreign authorities if or when someone did this. Just my .02 cents worth.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2018 Carnival Triumph, Western Caribbean
2017 Carnival Triumph, Western Caribbean
2016 Carnival Fascination, Bahamas
2016 Carnival Triumph, Western Caribbean
2015 Carnival Dream, Eastern Caribbean
2014 Carnival Elation, Western Caribbean
2011 RC Monarch of the Seas, Bahamas
The Big Easy
19,869 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by oncruisecontrol
Okay the Passenger Vessel Services Act. I have since looked that up, but it seems that a fine may be implied (but maybe I'm reading it wrong).
PVSA and the associated fine applies when you debark in another US port. Debarking in a foreign port does not apply.
California
1,531 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
This is from Royal Caribbean website. Maybe something similar applies to Carnival

What are partial cruises?

A Partial cruises allow you to enjoy part of your cruise vacation in the event that you are unable to meet the ship in the scheduled boarding port, or would like to end your cruise earlier than the scheduled departure date.

Requests for security clearance concerning late boarding or early departure must be submitted in writing to the Guest Flight Operations office for consideration at least one week prior to sail date. Guests must have a confirmed reservation in order to receive clearance. If the reservation was made by a travel agency, the agency must submit the request on travel agency letterhead. Guests with reservations made directly through Royal Caribbean International or royalcaribbean.com can submit their own request. Please include a return fax number or e-mail address.

If guests are pre-approved for boarding/departure in an alternate port of call, the ship's security staff is notified to expect the guests at the designated port. The approved guests are responsible for making all travel arrangements and will incur any additional expenses (for flights, hotels, transfers to the pier, etc.). Prepaid gratuities will be added to all approved reservations for the length of cruise.

Restrictions: Certain countries, such as the U.S., Italy and Norway, have cabotage laws affecting passenger movements. These laws restrict foreign flag passenger vessels (such as those operated by Royal Caribbean) from transporting guests from one port to another port in the same country. In the U.S., the cabotage law applicable to the cruise industry is commonly called the Jones Act but is legally titled the Passengers Services Act. A brief summary of this U.S. law follows:

If a passenger (as listed on a vessel passenger manifest) embarks in a U.S. port and the vessel calls in a nearby foreign port (such as Ensenada, Grand Cayman and Nassau) and then returns to the U.S., the person must disembark in the same U.S. port. A passenger who embarks and disembarks in two different U.S. ports (such as Los Angeles and San Diego) would result in the carrier (not the violator) being fined. The vessel must call in a distant foreign port before the U.S. embarkation and disembarkation ports can differ. The nearest distant foreign ports are in or off the coast of South America. If either the passenger's embarkation port or disembarkation port is in a foreign country, then the provisions of this cabotage law do not apply. Nor do they apply in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Similar passenger movement restrictions exist for cruise vessels calling in Italy and Norway.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SAILED:
Carnival: 13 (90 Days)
Celebrity: 4 (28 Days)
Holland America: 1 (22 Days)
Norwegian: 2 (17 Days)
Princess: 2 (15 Days)

UPCOMING:

Florida
2,697 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Georgie562
This is from Royal Caribbean website. Maybe something similar applies to Carnival

What are partial cruises?

A Partial cruises allow you to enjoy part of your cruise vacation in the event that you are unable to meet the ship in the scheduled boarding port, or would like to end your cruise earlier than the scheduled departure date.

Requests for security clearance concerning late boarding or early departure must be submitted in writing to the Guest Flight Operations office for consideration at least one week prior to sail date. Guests must have a confirmed reservation in order to receive clearance. If the reservation was made by a travel agency, the agency must submit the request on travel agency letterhead. Guests with reservations made directly through Royal Caribbean International or royalcaribbean.com can submit their own request. Please include a return fax number or e-mail address.

If guests are pre-approved for boarding/departure in an alternate port of call, the ship's security staff is notified to expect the guests at the designated port. The approved guests are responsible for making all travel arrangements and will incur any additional expenses (for flights, hotels, transfers to the pier, etc.). Prepaid gratuities will be added to all approved reservations for the length of cruise.

Restrictions: Certain countries, such as the U.S., Italy and Norway, have cabotage laws affecting passenger movements. These laws restrict foreign flag passenger vessels (such as those operated by Royal Caribbean) from transporting guests from one port to another port in the same country. In the U.S., the cabotage law applicable to the cruise industry is commonly called the Jones Act but is legally titled the Passengers Services Act. A brief summary of this U.S. law follows:

If a passenger (as listed on a vessel passenger manifest) embarks in a U.S. port and the vessel calls in a nearby foreign port (such as Ensenada, Grand Cayman and Nassau) and then returns to the U.S., the person must disembark in the same U.S. port. A passenger who embarks and disembarks in two different U.S. ports (such as Los Angeles and San Diego) would result in the carrier (not the violator) being fined. The vessel must call in a distant foreign port before the U.S. embarkation and disembarkation ports can differ. The nearest distant foreign ports are in or off the coast of South America. If either the passenger's embarkation port or disembarkation port is in a foreign country, then the provisions of this cabotage law do not apply. Nor do they apply in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Similar passenger movement restrictions exist for cruise vessels calling in Italy and Norway.
Thanks for posting this. Makes it very clear.
Colorado
5,882 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
and...... if you took your baggage and passport and went to the airport? Do you really think you broke any laws? You are not writing in advance if you just do not like the experience, someone at home fell ill, you got injured on the ship, you think you have to write in for a request?

Requests for security clearance concerning late boarding or early departure must be submitted in writing to the Guest Flight Operations office for consideration at least one week prior to sail date. Guests must have a confirmed reservation in order to receive clearance.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnivale 82
Carla C 84
Big Red Boat 94
Imagination 96
Holiday 98
Elation 99
Victory 12/01
Destiny 12/15/02
Valor 12/19/04
Miracle 12/31/06
Victory 12/30/07
NCL Star 9/10/2011
Dream 01/03/2016 B2B 21 days
Magic 01/07/2017 B2B 14 days
Miracle 01/13/2018 Transcanal 14 days
Conquest 2/25/2018 B2B 14 days
Charlotte, NC
11,115 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
I assume you are NOT on the cruise, but are staying in a resort on Grand Turk, since the chance of the ship missing port would be too much risk for a wedding.

However, the crew has no issue with guests leaving early. They just request to be informed so they do not have to look for them at departure.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08/18 Carnival Fascination | 04/12 NCL Spirit | 01/11 Carnival Liberty | 08/10 NCL Pride of America | 11/09 Carnival Miracle | 8/08 NCL Pearl | 5/08 NCL Majesty | 3/07 Celebrity Mercury | 9/06 Elation | 3/06 Carnival Valor | 2/05 NCL Majesty | 11/03 Jubilee | 9/01 Holiday