Anyone recently eat at the Crown Grill or Share on Ruby?

menkot

I am trying to decide where we want to eat for our free specialty dinner on our September cruise on Ruby. I thought it was all decided since Share was more expensive. Now that they are the same price, I am torn. I know this is very subjective, but would still love recent opinions.

We (family of 6 adults and 1 toddler) were on the Ruby the first week in July and a specialty dinner was included in our Premium Beverage Package promo.. I sent our kids and spouses the Princess descriptions of both Share and the Crown Grill and they unanimously chose Share - which was the vote we were hoping for since we've been to the Crown Grill (and Sabatinis) on almost every one of our previous 20+ Princess cruises.

DH and I think that our meal at Share was the best we have ever had on Princess and that includes 3 Chef's Tables (food and wine were excellent but too much in 3 courses with no choices) and 1 Winemaker's Dinner (again excellent food and wine but it was also 3 courses and no choice if I remember correctly). Share is 6 courses - obviously not monstrously large helpings - and you chose from 3 or 4 offerings in each course. With such a large group we were able to taste almost every dish and since we all had the premium beverage package we purchased two bottles of excellent wines at a 25% discount. We are all still talking about the dinner!

Ate at both of them last week... I didn’t care for the first appetizer and salad at Share, but the rest of the meal was excellent and the steak and cheesecake at Share was the best food I had on the ship all week. Also thought Share was a beautiful restaurant. Request a table by the window for an amazing view.

We ate at SHARE on the Ruby last November and every course was very good to excellent. I had the charcuterie, lemon poached prawns, pork ravioli, butter poached lobster tail, strip loin steak, and the outrageously delicious dark chocolate cremeux. With the price now the same as the Crown Grill I give the nod hands down to SHARE, unless you are only a meat and potatoes person.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My dad and I ate at the Ruby Crown Grill in April. The lobster was small, and not very good. The steak was cooked unevenly, and also not very good. I can buy better at the grocery store.

The table next to us had the porterhouse steak. They took one bite, called the maitre d over, and proceeded to tell him how awful it was. Then they got up and left the entire steak on the plate.

I haven't eaten at Share, but I think I will try it next time.

We were on the Ruby last November where they had a special for SHARE where the price was reduced to the same as the CG. Always having avoided SHARE due to the many negative comments, we decided to find out for ourselves. First getting a reservation was easy and when we walked into the room it was virtually empty. There was one other couple and a large table of 12 or so who turned out to be crew. Our service was excellent since we essentially had our own waiter. There are 6 courses each a small plate of course and there was plenty to eat. Some of the course choices left a bit to be desired IMO but were edible. We were a bit overwhelmed by it all and not particularly fond of what was served. Eating in a large empty room was a sign I believe. Some pax love it and have said so here on cc but for us we tried it and do not need to go back.

I did a poll on this here recently and the vote was heavily for Crown Grill. But many had voted did so because they didn’t like the menu at SHARE and had never eaten there.

I think what it boils down to is if you would describe yourself as a foodie, SHARE is the better choice; if your tastes are more meat and potatoes people like the Crown Grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Been to both Share and CG numerous times, on different ships, last being in May 2018. Share wins hands down. The CG food is too heavy and industrial, and uneven in quality. Sometimes I've had a decent steak, the other times it's been mal-prepared and virtually inedible. We've also tended to notice that the service in the Shares has been a bit better and more polished than at the Crown Grills.

Have eaten at SHARE a few times now and really enjoyed both the food and the service - I also love a good steak and the last two times we went to the Crown Grill the steaks were not very good and the service was mediocre. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sorta ate at Share, that is I tried each dish I ordered and didn't like it. I went for a slice of Pizza afterwards. Crown Grill would be my choice if those were the options but if Sabitini were an option that would be my first choice.

I ate at both. The Crown Grill is a traditional, formal steakhouse environment with sides served family style. I was underwhelmed by the quality of the meat and seafood there. Share is a modern foodie establishment with multiple, small courses. It was in my opinion one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten in on a cruise. Service is excellent at both. Only you can say which you'd prefer. Are you an adventurous foodie? Try Share. Do you prefer a traditional steakhouse as your splurge? Try Crown Grill.

My dad and I ate at the Ruby Crown Grill in April. The lobster was small, and not very good. The steak was cooked unevenly, and also not very good. I can buy better at the grocery store.

The table next to us had the porterhouse steak. They took one bite, called the maitre d over, and proceeded to tell him how awful it was. Then they got up and left the entire steak on the plate.

I haven't eaten at Share, but I think I will try it next time.

In June we were on the Ruby and I had the 22 oz. Porterhouse steak, one of worse steaks I've ever had. A steak from Fred Meyers would have been better. When I complained to the Maitre D he looked at the steak and said he'd get me something else and walked away, never saw him again, what a jerk. I think the dinner in the MDR is better now since they've gone to the new menu. We've never been to Share.

OK, from everyone's comments, I can see that Share must have improved. I really should try it again. But what about the uncomfortable furniture? The chair I had featured this tiny little horizontal piece of wood for a back. It was like leaning back on a baseball bat. Adirondack Norhern White Ash. I love the booths by the windows at Crown Grill.

But what about the uncomfortable furniture? The chair I had featured this tiny little horizontal piece of wood for a back. It was like leaning back on a baseball bat. Adirondack Norhern White Ash.

We had the same complaint about the chairs - they look lovely but no one must have sat in a prototype! We had one other issue when we were seated at a large table - there was a distinct vibration from the ship (we were in port). We asked for a new table and it was much better. The difference? The first one was located on the hardwood floor, the second on carpet. So glad that worked out because, as I said in an earlier post, the food and service were excellent.

We had the same complaint about the chairs - they look lovely but no one must have sat in a prototype! We had one other issue when we were seated at a large table - there was a distinct vibration from the ship (we were in port). We asked for a new table and it was much better. The difference? The first one was located on the hardwood floor, the second on carpet. So glad that worked out because, as I said in an earlier post, the food and service were excellent.

Thanks! Glad to know it is not just me concerning the chairs.