Mom can't go on cruise--what to do??

moopig

My mom and I are booked on CB for a 7 night cruise out of San Juan in December. I booked through Expedia and paid for cruise insurance. Mom just found out she has to have a bunch of surgeries on her knee that she can't put off. So, she won't be able to walk most likely come December.

My question is this--I am thinking of doing the cruise by myself, since I already paid for airfare. Would Princess charge me a single supplement? Technically, since the cruise insurance isn't through them, they would just have my mom as a 'no show", right? I didn't want to call Princess regarding this because i didn't want to alert them to my possibly traveling alone (and then charging me a single supplement).

I hope this question makes sense!

Mostly you will have to pay 200% to go alone, so mom would more than likely be better off as a no show if the price has gone up (which means you cant collect on insurance in some cases).

Have you considered using a wheelchair?? You can buy a foldable wheelchair for about $100 at Walgrens. It is going to cost the same if she goes or not.

Im in the same situation and having my sister be a no show and just letting it go. My sister suddenly decided to get married and her husband cant stand for her to be out of his sight for a week. We have passed final payment for a Sept cruise ... and have 3 others totally nonrefundable. He told us about the change in wedding dates the night before final payment.

Just call Princess. They will give you the options and costs. You also might call the insurance company. Since final payment is not due, I am not sure they will pay anything for your mother since she has no loss.

My sister suddenly decided to get married and her husband cant stand for her to be out of his sight for a week. We have passed final payment for a Sept cruise ... and have 3 others totally nonrefundable. He told us about the change in wedding dates the night before final payment.

Completely off topic but, wow, that sure sounds like a mess of trouble about to happen.

You can't do both.

You can't cancel thru Expedia and file for any lost monies thru the insurance and NOT cancel thru Princess.

First of all that would be fraud, second of all the insurance will want proof of cancellation from the cruiseline before any payout.

Now, if you cancel Mom, Princess will want single suppliment. If you don't cancel Mom, but Mom is a no show, you still sail. Either way, Princess received their money for 2 passengers.

What about renting a scooter so you mom can still go? I think there are several scooter rental companies that will deliver the scooter to the port. That way your mom can still go, even if she may choose not to get off the ship.

I think you may also have difficulty getting payment from the insurance company if when they read the medical records they find out that your mom had the option to cancel when she found out about the knee surgeries, but chose not to do so.

Doesn't some insurance cover the single supp if your traveling companion is unable to travel?

Here's the paragraph in my policy:

SINGLE OCCUPANCY COVERAGE

The Company will reimburse You, up to the maximum shown on the Confirmation of Coverage for Trip Cancellation, for the additional cost incurred during the Trip as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate for prepaid travel arrangements if a person booked to share accommodations with You has his/her Trip delayed, canceled, or interrupted for a covered reason and You do not cancel. (This was previously located under Trip Cancellation)

Assuming your mother is also covered, this would be in addition to her cancellation insurance (i.e., the coverage amounts are per traveler).

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I tried to convince my mom to go with a wheelchair but she won't have any of that :(. Oh course, it is MY money that has paid for the cruise and airfare :mad:. I have already paid for the cruise in full, too.

Doesn't some insurance cover the single supp if your traveling companion is unable to travel?

Here's the paragraph in my policy:

Assuming your mother is also covered, this would be in addition to her cancellation insurance (i.e., the coverage amounts are per traveler).

GREAT information.

Very important for the OP to understand though that your quote is from your insurance policy coverage. OP needs to carefully review their own coverage

GREAT information.

Very important for the OP to understand though that your quote is from your insurance policy coverage. OP needs to carefully review their own coverage

I meant to make that clear but thanks for the emphasis.

I'm reading my contract to cover Single Supplement even if the companion gets a refund on their portion (again, read your policy).

Mom won't be able to collect on her insurance without notifying Princess of her cancellation.

Hope the surgeries go well for her and you and she can plan another criuise together.

moopig I think these are your two choices. The first one is that for a small fee you can change the name and bring someone else with you. It's already paid for. The second one is to just go by yourself. I have done that and I LOVED it. I would go by myself again in a heartbeat ! You can just do what you want at your own pace or you will meet others that will more than likely ask you to tag along with them. Don't stress out on this. Just do it and have a great cruise.

Mom won't be able to collect on her insurance without notifying Princess of her cancellation.

And they will only cover the penalties in effect at the time the need to cancel became known. So if you wait until the penalties increase you're risking having the insurance reimbursement reduced by the additional penalty amount.

My mom and I are booked on CB for a 7 night cruise out of San Juan in December. I booked through Expedia and paid for cruise insurance. Mom just found out she has to have a bunch of surgeries on her knee that she can't put off. So, she won't be able to walk most likely come December.

My question is this--I am thinking of doing the cruise by myself, since I already paid for airfare. Would Princess charge me a single supplement? Technically, since the cruise insurance isn't through them, they would just have my mom as a 'no show", right? I didn't want to call Princess regarding this because i didn't want to alert them to my possibly traveling alone (and then charging me a single supplement).

When is her knee surgery? I had a total knee replacement and was up and around at 100% in about 5/6 weeks. No more knee pain and I have had no trouble walking since. If her surgery is scheduled before the end of October, I would hope (and think) that she should be OK for the cruise.

BTW - I am in my 60's, so not a 'spring chicken' anymore! ;)

If not, you can always rent her a scooter! It would be such a shame if she had to miss her cruise.

If not, find someone else to go with you. If you & mom were booked in the same cabin, I believe you can rebook one cabin passenger for another. Maybe find someone who will reimburse you for the fare & go with you! Princess can give you the correct info on that as to whether it is allowed or not.

I meant to make that clear but thanks for the emphasis.

).

I think you made it clear, I just wanted to emphasize. :D

Some people (myself included sometimes) just read the part they want to hear and move on.

The post about the insurance needing to be made aware of the reason for the cancellation and the dates such information became known is the important part. If she knows now that she cannot go, and you are not past final payment then there is no penalty other than the air that you purchased, and your insurance should cover that. Even if you've made final and it's not due, the date the cruise lines go with is the date they need the money.

If you try and wait and have her a no show, the insurance company will ask for records. If they discover that she knew in July that she needed surgery, had the surgery in October (for example) and then didn't show up, they will most likely deny the claim.

If she is refusing to use a wheelchair and will not go, either look to substitute someone else in her place, or cancel the cruise and the air, then put in a claim through the insurance company for her air and yours (since you ar travelling companions, if she can't go you are covered as well...for most policies).

I'm having the same issue, seem hubby is having work issue and they

might not let him go..

I'm sitting already thinking... who's next in line to go on vacation..

TAKE SOMEONE ELSE... so many friends so little time to decide.

of course the one with the passport will win

Good Luck... see DON"T BUY INSURANCE.... never works out when

you need it

OP :

Even though you have paid in full early , you should still be outside of the Princess penalty period for a December sailing.It's 100% refundable from Princess ,unless you booked at a non refundable discounted "FLASH" rate (which I doubt as they usually don't come out until closer to sailing).

A TA may charge a small cancelation fee , or then again many TA's don't.

I'm having the same issue, seem hubby is having work issue and they might not let him go..of course the one with the passport will win...
;) Although in your case, with a cruise in less than a month, you should leave your options open to the one with a passport OR a certified BC and ID. They both will work on your cruise....

First, is the cruise in December correct? I hear it's usually considered a "Holiday cruise" and need about 89 days to subject to penalty. Since you have insurance, but with another vendor, you may be required to pay a penalty for name change. Since you're within the 89 days you may not. It's still a wash regardless, but may be less expensive if it were single supplement. Best thing is to call Expedia rep and explain situation or go and have Mom as a no show. Enjoy your cruise.

This happened to me in February. I was traveling with my BF and he had to cancel because his mother was having surgery. It happened two weeks before sail. I called the insurance company, Travelex, and told them the situation. I cancelled his portion of the cruise and filed a claim with the insurance company. It was pass any refund so the cruise line already had their money and the insurance reimbursed us his portion of the cruise. I went solo as I usually do and had a great time.

Mostly you will have to pay 200% to go alone, so mom would more than likely be better off as a no show if the price has gone up (which means you cant collect on insurance in some cases).

Have you considered using a wheelchair?? You can buy a foldable wheelchair for about $100 at Walgrens. It is going to cost the same if she goes or not.

Im in the same situation and having my sister be a no show and just letting it go. My sister suddenly decided to get married and her husband cant stand for her to be out of his sight for a week. We have passed final payment for a Sept cruise ... and have 3 others totally nonrefundable. He told us about the change in wedding dates the night before final payment.

this was not the case for a friend-- they had independent insurance-- 2nd passenger was reimbursed for their portion of the cruise- 1st passenger cruised alone-- no first hand experience though for me

Archived