Super Elite

Shogun

we have 23 cruises under our belt, we have done some repos (3 days mainly, 1 5 day and 2 one days - one days are a pain and end up costing way too much when you add travel)

But we have also done two 17 days, 6 10 days, 2 14 days, and numerous 7 days, in the end when you divide the number of cruises by the number of days it works out to an average of 8 day cruises. I don't begrudge how many days people sail to get their cruise in, if that is all they can do then great, just as I don't begrudge people who book a suite to get 2 credits.

With regards to cabin type, that is really personal and for us depends on itinerary. Yes I would rather do two cruises in an inside as oppose to one in a balcony, plus balcony sometimes are too noisy and smokey for us so we choose them only for special cruises, ie panama, south america etc.

I laugh when we are in the elite line up at the pursers' desk and someone in the regular line complains, I say spending $45,000 with Princess gave us this perk, and I am glad Princess recognizes the loyalty we show to their cruise passengers, wish more companies did that.

I try not to judge people on how they got where they did, what cabin they are in, how much they spent, how they dress, and what perks they got. That just pitts us against each other and I would rather cruise as friends.

Hi All,

My first point was the super elite perks should apply only to a limited number of people onboard the ship.

Reason being the really good perks cost more and have limited space eg a bridge tour or something similar. Princess need to be able to manage and afford the costs.

If we have just another class of member ship that all can join, the problem comes back in a few years when we will want super super elite.

Now I fully understand if its limited to say just the top 50 on each cruise an non elite might get the perks while on another cruise someone with 500 sea days might not get the perks at all , but you need to draw a line some where.

thoughts folks on this idea that it applys to a fixed number per cruise

yours Shogun

Good points

limited number of people --- agree

number of people based on days, nothing else --- agree

still thinking about other suggestions

Edited by earljr

I would like to see priority seating at the shows.

Also... my turn to complain! Although I am elite, I only have 16 cruises but 215 days. By the time I get the big, big (sorry for the sarcasm) $25 perk for 21 cruises, I will have almost 300 days. There are people getting this extra with only 150 days! (actually, 21 one day cruises would qualify. What's wrong with this picture?) I think it should apply to days cruised.

OK, I feel better now!!

Hi guys.

you think you have a complaint --

We just got back from the last cruise of the Royal --

They ran out of Miller Lite ----

Now THAT is bad!!!!!

I laugh when we are in the elite line up at the pursers' desk and someone in the regular line complains, I say spending $45,000 with Princess gave us this perk, and I am glad Princess recognizes the loyalty we show to their cruise passengers, wish more companies did that.

You brought up a point about the Elite line. It's a nice option but if only one person is assigned to the Elite line it's sometimes much much faster to get on the regular line. It would be much better if they called the first person on the Elite line to any position rather than have them wait for only one rep.

I would like to see priority seating at the shows.

Also... my turn to complain! Although I am elite, I only have 16 cruises but 215 days. By the time I get the big, big (sorry for the sarcasm) $25 perk for 21 cruises, I will have almost 300 days. There are people getting this extra with only 150 days! (actually, 21 one day cruises would qualify. What's wrong with this picture?) I think it should apply to days cruised.

OK, I feel better now!!

I don't know if this'll make you feel any better but it's $25 per cabin, NOT per person.

Maybe at your location but here in the US it isn't. It still involves the cost of getting to the port & getting yourself back home form the distant port since you can't sail back on the same ship immediately. All things considered it's not such a great option in attaining Elite status.

I take your point. I was just going by some of the comments I have read here on this board.

We have to travel 500 miles to get to the nearest Princess ship port, Many thousands if we head to the Caribbean.

Don't take this wrong but on the last two cruises, I have talked to more Elite people who only book inside cabins. Look at the name tags on the cabin doors. They say they do this so they can cruise more. More power to them. But it seems like those are the people that think they deserve all of the suite perks. On our upcoming Christmas cruise, I'm paying over three times as much for my cabin as the inside people are and yet some (NOT ALL) want what I have. And then they usually get price drops yet suites never go down in price..

As a frequent inside cruiser, I won't take offense at your comments. I appreciate that many are willing to pay premium prices for suites and minisuites. There is no cruise ship that could sail with inside cabins alone, just as most mainstream lines take advantage of their voluminous inside space to generate revenue through selling inside cabins. Without those inside cabins, your suite might cost even more. It works both ways.

I don't know how you can tell that Elite cruisers who book insides are the ones who claim to deserve suite perks...we are one example of inside cruisers who really don't need flowers and champagne and breakfast at Sabatinis.

Princess is a business. When it decides that selling inside cabin space to cruisers who compound that thriftiness by not buying every photo, spa treatment, ship tour and excursion does not work to its advantage, it will stop. And then we'll have to reconsider our options. Until then, I much prefer spending 60+ nights cruising each winter in an inside cabin to 15 nights in a suite. And Princess chooses to reward me for that loyalty through their Elite perks. I like that choice!

As a frequent inside cruiser, I won't take offense at your comments. I appreciate that many are willing to pay premium prices for suites and minisuites. There is no cruise ship that could sail with inside cabins alone, just as most mainstream lines take advantage of their voluminous inside space to generate revenue through selling inside cabins. Without those inside cabins, your suite might cost even more. It works both ways.

I don't know how you can tell that Elite cruisers who book insides are the ones who claim to deserve suite perks...we are one example of inside cruisers who really don't need flowers and champagne and breakfast at Sabatinis.

Princess is a business. When it decides that selling inside cabin space to cruisers who compound that thriftiness by not buying every photo, spa treatment, ship tour and excursion does not work to its advantage, it will stop. And then we'll have to reconsider our options. Until then, I much prefer spending 60+ nights cruising each winter in an inside cabin to 15 nights in a suite. And Princess chooses to reward me for that loyalty through their Elite perks. I like that choice!

I thought we were the only elite pax that book inside cabins. Having anytime dining we usually meet new people every night. In our discussions we have found out that everybody only books balcony or minisuites??? I guess aside from you and us the names on the inside cabins are fake - they are put their by Princess to make you think the ship is full.icon7.gif

Edited by cruiseron36

You brought up a point about the Elite line. It's a nice option but if only one person is assigned to the Elite line it's sometimes much much faster to get on the regular line. It would be much better if they called the first person on the Elite line to any position rather than have them wait for only one rep.

They did this on the Emerald on our recent March B2B. You tend to get a lot of dirty looks from the people waiting in the regular line though.

I don't know how you can tell that Elite cruisers who book insides are the ones who claim to deserve suite perks...we are one example of inside cruisers who really don't need flowers and champagne and breakfast at Sabatinis

For a number of days on our last cruise we were hanging out with a group of people who were Elite (all were in insides) and every time we got together the subject of the perks came up and they constantly complained that they didn't feel Princess was giving them enough perks.

And they also talked about why they liked the insides - they don't spend any more time than necessary in the cabin and would rather travel more. And I certainly understand that. Some people are just real negative and think they deserve more than they are getting - I guess we just ran into a bunch of them the last couple cruises.

When we travel we like to spend time on our balcony. I guess it started 20 years ago when there was so much smoking that I couldn't stand being in any of the public areas.

We're fine with our Elite Perks which we've had for quite a while (also the days to back them up). We're quite happy with mini-suites but sometimes do a regular balcony if the location suits us better. Also, we tend to like longer cruises which we can make into a B2B.

Bottom Line: :) The current Elite Perks are fine with us. Honestly, we seldom take advanage of many of them.

. . . I try not to judge people on how they got where they did, what cabin they are in, how much they spent, how they dress, and what perks they got. That just pitts us against each other and I would rather cruise as friends.

Well said.

I got smacked-down by somebody last time I said this, but some people do seem to approach cruising, and specifically Captain's Circle status/perks, as a zero-sum game: someone else's perk or "better" cabin somehow takes away from their own -- I don't know what-- enjoyment? Self-worth? Frankly, I'd run fast and run far from any drama llama who wanted to spend their (and my!) valuable cruise time kvetching tediously about perks and days sailed and relative accommodations. Not when I could instead be having a lively, intellectual debate about, say, the relative merits of the Tanqueray martini versus the Bombay Sapphire martini.

Some people are just real negative and think they deserve more than they are getting - I guess we just ran into a bunch of them the last couple cruises.

Absolutely right. What is that saying- some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope? How tiring.

When we travel we like to spend time on our balcony. I guess it started 20 years ago when there was so much smoking that I couldn't stand being in any of the public areas.

We are the same, except now we don't want to risk paying for a balcony rendered unusable by smoke.

Well said.

I got smacked-down by somebody last time I said this, but some people do seem to approach cruising, and specifically Captain's Circle status/perks, as a zero-sum game: someone else's perk or "better" cabin somehow takes away from their own -- I don't know what-- enjoyment? Self-worth?

Have you ever read the discussions about TAs who earned Elite status through taking a series of 20 or 30 some courses about Princess? Talk about zero sum gain! Apparently, people who earned their Elite status by having the good fortune to cruise so much on Princess are eliter than those who earned that status through extra work on their own time. Maybe the former should be termed Super Elites!:rolleyes:

They did this on the Emerald on our recent March B2B. You tend to get a lot of dirty looks from the people waiting in the regular line though.

When there's a number of people on the regular line & only 1 or 2 in the Elite/Suite line I always manage to pick the wrong one.....something like in the supermarket- can someone do a price check on this...it won't scan. ;)

Don’t be so quick to judge individuals who purchase inside rooms. I have been an elite member for awhile and always stay in an inside stateroom. On sea days I participate in activities and during port calls are on full-day tours so I don’t need a fancy room to sleep, freshen up and store my worldly treasures (souvenirs). Yes, I choose an inside room because it works with my budget and gives me the opportunity to cruise more often. Oh, by the way, my preference is 12+ day itineraries. Not everyone can afford to sail 30+ days on B-2-B cruises in a suite several times a year.

I don’t always make the cut for the most traveled luncheon nor have I dined with the Captain; yet you don’t see me crying about it. If I don’t get a canvas bag, no big deal, I always pack one from home anyway. If I don’t get an upgrade, no loss, at least I still have a room. Obviously, I don’t qualify for breakfast at Sabatini’s; so what! There are other venues to eat at. As an elite member, I don’t see myself any better than the guy across the hall who is sailing with Princess for the very first time. :eek:

For me, I am thankful that I have the income to travel; it is an adventure to see new places and meet new people (regardless of their Captain’s Circle status) who have become life-long friends and I am appreciative of the perks Princess offers me.

On the other hand, one thing I would like Princess to consider is building staterooms for solo travelers on their new ships and any undergoing major renovations. There are many widowers, etc. who would fill those rooms. Single rooms are successful on Cunard and P&O’s latest ship; filling up months to years in advanced. Obviously, they are popular.;)

Don’t be so quick to judge individuals who purchase inside rooms. I have been an elite member for awhile and always stay in an inside stateroom. On sea days I participate in activities and during port calls are on full-day tours so I don’t need a fancy room to sleep, freshen up and store my worldly treasures (souvenirs). Yes, I choose an inside room because it works with my budget and gives me the opportunity to cruise more often. Oh, by the way, my preference is 12+ day itineraries. Not everyone can afford to sail 30+ days on B-2-B cruises in a suite several times a year.

I don’t always make the cut for the most traveled luncheon nor have I dined with the Captain; yet you don’t see me crying about it. If I don’t get a canvas bag, no big deal, I always pack one from home anyway. If I don’t get an upgrade, no loss, at least I still have a room. Obviously, I don’t qualify for breakfast at Sabatini’s; so what! There are other venues to eat at. As an elite member, I don’t see myself any better than the guy across the hall who is sailing with Princess for the very first time. :eek:

For me, I am thankful that I have the income to travel; it is an adventure to see new places and meet new people (regardless of their Captain’s Circle status) who have become life-long friends and I am appreciative of the perks Princess offers me.

On the other hand, one thing I would like Princess to consider is building staterooms for solo travelers on their new ships and any undergoing major renovations. There are many widowers, etc. who would fill those rooms. Single rooms are successful on Cunard and P&O’s latest ship; filling up months to years in advanced. Obviously, they are popular.;)

Very well said. I fully concur with your posting. Happy Cruising!!!

• 5 years later...

Considering Princess is in business to make money, it would make sense for added benefits to not really cost them much more. We average 10 days/cruise, and think there are some things they could do:

• Free brewed coffee or tea when you show your Elite cruise card (we use coffee cards for lattes but they last several cruises each, and are only good for coffee on the first cruise)

• Priority for getting the dining time and table size of your choice

• certificate for one night of specialty dining

• Free soft drinks

• Plus size robes

• Some casual get-togethers with crew/staff/performers (they have fascinating stories)

• Have a true Elite boarding line for check-in

I like the idea of dancing with some of the entertainers, but by the time we've cruised enough to be "Super elite" we may not be able to dance... ;) . Anyhow, I did this on our first cruise during a deck party.

I have no problem with what is offered now. I think if passengers keep yelling MORE MORE MORE, you will probably end up with LESS LESS LESS. ;)

Totally agree and Princess made the mistake of allowing number of cruises and also number of days for qualifications.....it is a lot easier to take 15 3/4 day cruises then 150+ days......I am sure there is no need to change because Princess knows they have a huge loyal following and they also know no one is leaving them anytime soon....:cool:

Edited by PrincessLuver

Actually I have had that happen, and got the nastiest glare from the person standing at the front of the regular line. I think he was getting ready to complain, but the lady with him grabbed his arm and shook her head as if to say "don't".

Considering Princess is in business to make money, it would make sense for added benefits to not really cost them much more. We average 10 days/cruise, and think there are some things they could do:

• Free brewed coffee or tea when you show your Elite cruise card (we use coffee cards for lattes but they last several cruises each, and are only good for coffee on the first cruise)

• Priority for getting the dining time and table size of your choice

• certificate for one night of specialty dining

• Free soft drinks

• Plus size robes

• Some casual get-togethers with crew/staff/performers (they have fascinating stories)

• Have a true Elite boarding line for check-in

I like the idea of dancing with some of the entertainers, but by the time we've cruised enough to be "Super elite" we may not be able to dance... ;) . Anyhow, I did this on our first cruise during a deck party.

All the items you listed except for the Specialty dining wouldn't cost Princess a thing & would certainly enhance the cruise for an upper Elite category- if their was one.

It's about time they did a little something extra to recognize their most loyal customers.

When we get to Rome in 9 days, we will have 19 cruises and 322 days. Still no loyalty OBC, but I don't I have no problem with some people getting it after fewer days. Nothing I can do about it, so I am not going to worry about it.

This thread is reserved for outrage on something out of one's control. Please reserve your rational thinking for another thread! :D