Post a Picture of Your Dress (Part 2)

CC Help Jenn

I bought a beautiful floor length black gown that is relatively straight from the bust through the hem. I hung it on the back of my bedroom door and one of my cats decided that she wanted to use it as a scratching post :eek: She put 2 slits about 1in long each in the bottom of the front of the dress. they were a bit too high to be taken off when it was hemmed so I told my seamstress to make it an asymmetrical hem (knee length in the front and long in the back) to fix it. My question is, in your opinions, is this still appropriate for formal night? I've always worn long gowns for formal nights and am just not sure of the appropriateness of the asymmetrical hem... I don't know if it makes any difference but DH is planning on just a suit (leaving the tux at home this time) and we're both relatively young (30's

To a cat person like me, this is a very funny story! It sounds like you made the best of it; and I think your dress will be just fine.

Has, or is, anyone going on an Alaskan cruise? I cannot figure out what to pack for the formal nights! I'm usually chilly in the MDR anyway, but I can't imagine wearing sleeveless or spaghetti strapped dresses while cruising Alaska. We are going in June. Anyone have any suggestion?

~ Shari

Has, or is, anyone going on an Alaskan cruise? I cannot figure out what to pack for the formal nights! I'm usually chilly in the MDR anyway, but I can't imagine wearing sleeveless or spaghetti strapped dresses while cruising Alaska. We are going in June. Anyone have any suggestion?

~ Shari

I've only been on one Alaska cruise, quite some time ago, but meals in the MDR will be just like the MDR on any other cruise--it's a closed space. For me, the dining room is often cool, but I wouldn't bring anything different for a wrap on an Alaskan cruise than a Caribbean cruise. I usually bring a sweater or other wrap for night activities or meals.

Unless you plan on walking outside in your dress/slacks, I can't see that you need anything extra. All of the inside spaces will be just like any other cruise.

Of course, for outside activities, bring layers and be prepared for anything from shorts weather to quite cool or even cold and/or rainy.

~ Shari

See next post

Edited by Cloda
my cat made my computer failed

~ Shari

Hi Shari,

This is what I wore on my Alaskan cruise on Princess. It was perfect, but I stayed inside.

So, feel free and enjoy you self !! :)

Linda

1950820983_2011-06-18201501-Copy.jpg.d13469210f6c6b4d9fffccd05af44d63.jpg

2111587544_2011-06-18201622.jpg.e7a101083b052392122a7ed68e27cba6.jpg

~ Shari

Hi Shari, I have been to Alaska 3 times and LOVE IT:D:):D

Formal nights? The ship's temps always felt fine to me and I wear

the same type of formalwear as I do any other cruise.

Now, I am not a person who wears spaghetti straps, but a

dress with a cap sleeve or sleeveless? (Long)....has always been

good. Or I will wear a dressy top (cap/short/sleeveless) and a dressy

long skirt........

And I hope maybe I wll be able to do Alaska again later this summer!

~ Shari

Hi Shari,

I'm cruising to Alaska in August and am going to wear same type of formal wear I would when cruising in warmer climates.

I always have a pashmina with me anyway because I also get cold easily.

I cruised Alaska two years ago on Carnival and elegant night was very very casual . I only saw two long formal dresses . A lot of church type apparel , some cocktail dresses & lots of pants . It was chilly on the boat so I usually had a light sweater on . This was in May .

Edited by Moegr

I saw this dress on eBay and I just had to have it, though we're not cruising until December.

It's chiffon so I hope it'll stay mostly wrinkle-free and even better, it doesn't weigh a lot in my suitcase. :D

T2eC16VHJGE9nm3p3Z7BRBGLMnw60_57_zps831cd409.jpg

Hi Shari,

I'm cruising to Alaska in August and am going to wear same type of formal wear I would when cruising in warmer climates.

That's what I did on our Carnival Spirit Alaska cruise. Just make sure you have a sweater or a wrap handy.

I think a lot of people pass on long gowns for Alaska because of the heavier clothing you have to pack. Long sleeves and pants just take up more room than shorts and tank tops.

FYI - our cruise was very wet and rainy. Be sure to take a waterproof jacket. It doesn't have to be heavy as long as you can layer underneath. We explored Ketchikan on foot in a downpour because we were warm and dry.

I saw this dress on eBay and I just had to have it, though we're not cruising until December.

It's chiffon so I hope it'll stay mostly wrinkle-free and even better, it doesn't weigh a lot in my suitcase. :D

I love that dress! We are cruising in two weeks and too much of my dinner wear is black.

PS My husband is of Finnish descent. His grandfather emigrated to Maine to avoid the Russian draft during World War 1.

Love it!!! Have one very similar only in turquoise. I love that dress! It didn't wrinkle and I felt great in it. There was only one problem--we were standing in the lobby waiting to have our photo taken and the ship dancers were wearing the exact same color. :o My friends kept teasing me that I'd be late for the show!:rolleyes:

Hi Shari,

Thank you Sinppu and everyone else who commented on what to wear on formal nights in Alaska! I found a really cute formal black dress with 3/4 sleeves that will be perfect and a friend responded to a Face Book post with a lovely long black dress that will pack beautifully (no wrinkling!) that she is letting me borrow.

Now for shoes....ugh! I need arch supports and because of a foot problem, I can't wear heels over 1". I HATE it! No strappy sandals (I haven't found any already made with arch supports) :( I have 4 months to find shoes that will work, so wish me luck! :)

Pashmina - I don't have one of those. Sinppu, were did you buy yours?

Thanks for the help, ladies!

~ Shari

Pashminas - I take a cheap $10 fake that I bought from the gift shop on our first cruise. It's just Bijoux Terner. They have stores in some airports and are sold in some ship's gift shops. They don't always have the $10 sale stuff available on the first day though.

My dresses (posted earlier) just didn't work out....

8370327693_1183836126_n.jpg

IMG_1622 by MurpheyTX, on Flickr

Too tight - and the cute banding around it, doesn't go all the way around. So there is no disguising any lumps or bumps in the back!

8370292667_791083afa9_n.jpg

IMG_1621 by MurpheyTX, on Flickr

TOO BIG!!! (And the color was just a tad too bright for me!) :D So I returned them both to Ross today. Looked at new dresses and all I could find was a navy one similar to the pink one above, 2 sizes smaller. I loved it - I really wanted a navy formal. I needed 1 size smaller, BUT I tried it anyway.

YAY! It fit, it's cute, it's comfy and it's cheap! So I have the dress I wanted, in the color I wanted. I think I'll go more casual on the 2nd formal night and go with some items I already own - dressy capris etc.

Just wanted to share my find (TWO SIZES SMALLER!) and I'll post a pic soon :)

Edited by murfturf

Thank you Sinppu and everyone else who commented on what to wear on formal nights in Alaska! I found a really cute formal black dress with 3/4 sleeves that will be perfect and a friend responded to a Face Book post with a lovely long black dress that will pack beautifully (no wrinkling!) that she is letting me borrow.

Now for shoes....ugh! I need arch supports and because of a foot problem, I can't wear heels over 1". I HATE it! No strappy sandals (I haven't found any already made with arch supports) :( I have 4 months to find shoes that will work, so wish me luck! :)

~ Shari

Try Merrell sandals; I don't have arch problems, per se, but a rather high arch and these seem to have more arch built in than most sandals. It doesn't hurt to try.

Whoops, just reread your post and I think you are talking about dressy strappy sandals. I don't think Merrell makes these, though I haven't looked lately.

Also, for me, wedge shoes/sandals work much better with my high arch.

~ Shari

Try a thread here on this forum about wedge shoes - lots of cute choices have been going around there! I too need some silver shoes with a small heel - I have a knee problem and just can't do a teetering heel! I'm still looking - and when I find it I'll post.

Wedge shoes.....a great idea! I'll see if I can find some that will look good with the dresses I have. I wish I could order shoes online, but I definitely need to try them on and walk a couple aisles in them before I can tell if they will work.

I was thinking though.....if I get wedge shoes, I won't be wearing pantyhose then, right? Or do they make them w/o the strap between the first two toes?

I may have to wait to shop for these because right now, mostly all the shoes in the stores here are winter style shoes. But I will be looking tomorrow, just in case!

Thanks again for the advice!

Wedge shoes.....a great idea! I'll see if I can find some that will look good with the dresses I have. I wish I could order shoes online, but I definitely need to try them on and walk a couple aisles in them before I can tell if they will work.

I was thinking though.....if I get wedge shoes, I won't be wearing pantyhose then, right? Or do they make them w/o the strap between the first two toes?

I may have to wait to shop for these because right now, mostly all the shoes in the stores here are winter style shoes. But I will be looking tomorrow, just in case!

Thanks again for the advice!

Many of them do not have the strap between the first 2 toes, but I don't think I'd wear pantyhose with them.

~ Shari

I have the same problem and I agree about the wedges .. if you have a DSW near you go and try on the brand "Italian Shoemakers" .. they make super cute shoes and they are really comfortable ... they even make some with rhinestones that are great for formal nights .. also J Renee has some great shoes with little heels that are much nicer than the skinny kitten heels (available lots of places) and lastly Clarke's Artisan line has some super comfy sandals with great arch support !

I have the same problem and I agree about the wedges .. if you have a DSW near you go and try on the brand "Italian Shoemakers" .. they make super cute shoes and they are really comfortable ... they even make some with rhinestones that are great for formal nights .. also J Renee has some great shoes with little heels that are much nicer than the skinny kitten heels (available lots of places) and lastly Clarke's Artisan line has some super comfy sandals with great arch support !

Thank you, KLLund for brand names! That helps a lot in my search.

Gymbomb - If they don't have the toe strap, why wouldn't you wear pantyhose? I like the black hose look with the black formal dresses, so I'm just wondering why you wouldn't wear hose. Would your feet slip out of them? Or would it just look kinda dumb?

Thanks!

~ Shari