RCCL and Formal Nights in the Caribbean

Hi to all those who love to cruise,

We enjoyed a B2B on the Allure last month and I have an observation and a very strong suggestion for RCCL Management: Nix the formal nights. Yep, you read correctly—it’s time to do away with formal attire dining on the Caribbean cruises!

Why? I think my DH and I were among the 5% who bothered with tux/gown on all four nights. We really felt over dressed!

Now, if you think about it, this type of cruise (Caribbean) is one of the most widely used vacation itinerary for many families to unite for a wonderful occasion or just enjoy together the excitement of it all. Points to consider:

1. People who are traveling with family can just barely afford the trip, let alone formal attire; there just isn’t any money left over for the likes of formal attire.

2. Dressing the kids up is very expensive; they need all new clothes every 6 months as it is! So many parents are not going to bother.

3. Many of these hard working men don’t even own a suit; a tux is way off their agenda.

4. How many of us gals have either experienced, or witnessed, ladies in long dresses, all dolled up, with their companions dressed is their best kakis and pull-over? What an embarrassment for the couple who can’t coordinate and meet the decorum of the evening?

5. The Caribbean is all about relaxing! Remember the “Don’t worry, be happy” mentality? Well, shopping for you and spouse for formal outfits, then packing the shoes and purse and tie and cummerbund, etc., etc., etc. –is NOT RELAXING!

6. Getting all that formal attire cleaned is expensive for everyone; so why bother? Nobody needs the extra expense!

7. Of 95% of the guests are not confirming to what is formal attire—the majority doesn’t want it!

8. It was apparent that only the “seasoned” or “older cruisers” would bother to dress up; it smacks of class division—like on the Queen E ships.

9. Our society has become very, very informal in every aspect of life; formality is dead. Haven’t you been to a wedding lately? No one bothers any more with “decorum.”

If we ever do another Caribbean cruise, we'll not bother with formal wear. It's just not worth it.

What do you think?

:confused:

Nessa

I think my DH and I were among the 5% who bothered with tux/gown on all four nights. We really felt over dressed!

What do you think?

Nessa

I think you may be confused :)

RC's dress code suggestion for formal nights is suit and tie or tux for gentlemen, cocktail dresses for ladies, so I wouldn't expect too many couples to be in tux and gowns, to be honest. Although if that's what you want to wear, go for it - I love to see it.

I dress how I feel comfortable and with consideration for those I may be dining with (I travel solo, so enjoy company in the MDR) - usually, these days, a linen suit, good shirt and tie (even though I will pull on the old DJ at most opportunities at home.) That way I'm not embarrassed if people at my table are in dinner jackets or dress uniforms, but I'm not carting formal evening wear across the Atlantic!

We enjoyed a B2B on the Allure last month and I have an observation and a very strong suggestion for RCCL Management: Nix the formal nights. Yep, you read correctly—it’s time to do away with formal attire dining on the Caribbean cruises!

Why? I think my DH and I were among the 5% who bothered with tux/gown on all four nights. We really felt over dressed!

Now, if you think about it, this type of cruise (Caribbean) is one of the most widely used vacation itinerary for many families to unite for a wonderful occasion or just enjoy together the excitement of it all. Points to consider:

1. People who are traveling with family can just barely afford the trip, let alone formal attire; there just isn’t any money left over for the likes of formal attire.

2. Dressing the kids up is very expensive; they need all new clothes every 6 months as it is! So many parents are not going to bother.

3. Many of these hard working men don’t even own a suit; a tux is way off their agenda.

4. How many of us gals have either experienced, or witnessed, ladies in long dresses, all dolled up, with their companions dressed is their best kakis and pull-over? What an embarrassment for the couple who can’t coordinate and meet the decorum of the evening?

5. The Caribbean is all about relaxing! Remember the “Don’t worry, be happy” mentality? Well, shopping for you and spouse for formal outfits, then packing the shoes and purse and tie and cummerbund, etc., etc., etc. –is NOT RELAXING!

6. Getting all that formal attire cleaned is expensive for everyone; so why bother? Nobody needs the extra expense!

7. Of 95% of the guests are not confirming to what is formal attire—the majority doesn’t want it!

8. It was apparent that only the “seasoned” or “older cruisers” would bother to dress up; it smacks of class division—like on the Queen E ships.

9. Our society has become very, very informal in every aspect of life; formality is dead. Haven’t you been to a wedding lately? No one bothers any more with “decorum.”

If we ever do another Caribbean cruise, we'll not bother with formal wear. It's just not worth it.

What do you think?

Nessa

10. It's usually 95 degrees Fahrenheit in the Caribbean, so who wants to put on formal clothing and sweat sweat sweat? I'd rather be more comfortable.

11. Many people wear a tie at work, and therefore do not want to wear one while on vacation. That's right....it's VACATION, so wear whatever makes you feel comfortable.

12. Dress codes? Really? Are we in private school (or public, for that matter) where kids are told how to dress or are required to wear a uniform?

The list goes on and on and on. Count me in, OP, I completely agree. It's a vacation, and most people don't want to be told how to enjoy it.

No reason to do away with "formal" nights. It is a dress suggestion, folks, not a rule. As it is, those who wish to dress formally do, and those who don't, pretty much don't. So everybody's happy. We used to go formal for many cruises, then decided we'd been there, done that. Now we dress "smart casual" on formal nights.

What do you think? :confused:

What do I think? I think you are entitled to your opinion. I also think you have to realize that in a tux and gown, yes you were in the minority. Are you really upset about this? I mean, really? Formal wear is a choice. You knew about this before you went on your cruise. You are a seasoned cruiser.

You can go on a cruise and not wear formal clothing/participate in formal night. We did it and loved it. But again, it was a choice. Please allow others to also have that choice.

Per the dress code, jacket and tie are also normal, and the last trip I was on, I would say that at least 80% of the men were wearing jackets and ties, with the remainder wearing ties, and the very small minority, looking looking sloppy.

2. I'm not sure about that. Cruise vacations cost more than many other types of vacations, and RCCL is not the cheapest line to go on. Most adults have something nice to wear that fits the suggested attire for the evening
  3. Dressing the kids up is very expensive; they need all new clothes every 6 months as it is! So many parents are not going to bother.
  4. Children gets go to events all the time, that require nice clothes. A suit for a young child can be picked up for less money than jeans and a shirt. My kids always wore things more than once, and if you plan it correctly, it will last 2 years

1. Many of these hard working men don’t even own a suit; a tux is way off their agenda.

2. A suit for a guy will last a decade, or maybe about $25.00 a year. This isn't a good reason. Doesn't he go to weddings, funerals etc? Every man needs a suit.

3. How many of us gals have either experienced, or witnessed, ladies in long dresses, all dolled up, with their companions dressed is their best kakis and pull-over? What an embarrassment for the couple who can’t coordinate and meet the decorum of the evening?

4. Really? Shame on that guy.

6. You do not need a tux and packing anything is not relaxing

7. Getting all that formal attire cleaned is expensive for everyone; so why bother? Nobody needs the extra expense!

8. Of 95% of the guests are not confirming to what is formal attire—the majority doesn’t want it!

9. I think the majority do want it. Getting dressed once in a while for dinner with your wife and kids adds to the event. My boys always like to dress up, and sometimes even make comments to us, why we are not dressed!
  10. It was apparent that only the “seasoned” or “older cruisers” would bother to dress up; it smacks of class division—like on the Queen E ships.

11. It's just the "me" generation, but it is not just older cruisers that don't mind dressing up to go out.
  12. Our society has become very, very informal in every aspect of life; formality is dead. Haven’t you been to a wedding lately? No one bothers any more with “decorum.”
  13. Lack of respect for a special occasion by some people is not an excuse for the rest

What do you think?

Nessa

11. Many people wear a tie at work, and therefore do not want to wear one while on vacation.

Actually I was thinking many don't wear a tie, even to church. I remember when we used to wear suits to fly on an airline. And it was unthinkable to not wear a suit to church. Same with work -- 30 years ago a suit was required; today, often not. So, times are-a-changin'. While I personally like the dress-up night I think it is time to do away with it. NCL already did. I will say that the women look especially beautiful in their formal wear, and I would miss seeing that. One more point. On my last cruise the Quest started at 10:30 on the 2nd formal night. I had late dining and barely had time to change and get to Quest by 10:15 to get a seat. I sure did not want to attend the Quest in my suit.

I think that I'm apparently an "older cruiser" at 28! Seriously?

Formal nights are part of the magic of cruising... I think it's a darn shame that people choose not to follow the rules. All the reasons you gave are just excuses, in my opinion.

And I am glad I don't know the OP's friends and family if they don't behave properly at weddings. Seriously? What does that even mean, anyway? It doesn't sound like anything I'd want to experience.

Formal nights are part of the magic of cruising... I think it's a darn shame that people choose not to follow the rules. All the reasons you gave are just excuses, in my opinion.

And I am glad I don't know the OP's friends and family if they don't behave properly at weddings. Seriously? What does that even mean, anyway? It doesn't sound like anything I'd want to experience.

It means a lot of times today, the groom will not even wear a tux. They will wear something more like a suit or if weddings are outside it's khaki pants - not a tux and no tie. And the OP didn't say they didn't behave properly - they're talking about attire.

I feel that many of the OP's points are pretty valid, especially relating to a Caribbean cruise. What's so bad about not dressing up so much? What's wrong with a polo shirt and khakis?

Once you get to a certain point and you have all the pictures in the world that you'd ever need of yourself in formal wear on a cruise - it gets to be more of a neusance than anything. You dress up, go to dinner, and immediately change to get comfortable... kinda pointless to me.

At last!! someone with a sense of respect and pride.

We did the Allure 9/11 and was glad I wore a tux when we attended the chef's Table. All the other males did and all the ladies looked super in their outfits. It was a great social event.

Sorry, I just dont like slobbing out at dinner, and I think that the wearing of ball caps in the MDR for dinner is unforgiveable:p

And you are so right - it is just excuses!! :D

RCCL does not have a mandatory dress code. Rather RCCL only presents it as the suggested dress code. Here's the link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

I've experienced all kinds of attire through my 40+ years of cruising. Times have changes and I too have been known to dress down on occasion . People stop focusing on what everyone else is doing or not doing, you're boxing shadows that's not going to change anything. Rather focus your energy on enjoying your own vacation in the fashion you choose . Afterall you're own personal enjoyment and what you're comfortable in wearing is the only part of this subject that's under your control.

We always dress according to the suggested evening guidelines. We don’t dress for the Kodak moments or others. We never rush back to our cabin and change. We consider the suggested dress guidelines all part of the Cruising Tradition. That’s what is great about sailing the Caribbean. You get to wear shorts and T-shirts all day out in the warm (hot) Caribbean sun and enjoy the Ports and all they have to offer. In the evening change into something totally different and enjoy a good meal and entertainment. Almost like two different vacations (for us). Too each his/her own. As others have mentioned, the inside temperatures on the ships are kept cool.

What do you think?

Nessa

Okay, I have to chime in on this. I LOVE the formal nights. I enjoy getting dressed up and going to the FDR and being served. One of the reasons we cruise, is to be pampered. We work very hard, and it's so nice to have someone else doing the pampering. IF you don't want to dress up, go to the buffet. They have plenty of choices there and they dress the place up in the evening. I'm sorry, but, if you can afford to go on a cruise with a family (most people afford what they want to), you can afford to take a little more pride and dress up a little. All the information is out there, I think the FDR should stay in a more dressy environment and if you don't want to dress up, don't go to the FDR. Everyone can go on the first day in whatever you want, you can also go in there on the last day in whatever you want. So for dinner, dress up.....just my opinion. icon7.gif

Okay, I have to chime in on this. I LOVE the formal nights. I enjoy getting dressed up and going to the FDR and being served. One of the reasons we cruise, is to be pampered. We work very hard, and it's so nice to have someone else doing the pampering. IF you don't want to dress up, go to the buffet. They have plenty of choices there and they dress the place up in the evening. I'm sorry, but, if you can afford to go on a cruise with a family (most people afford what they want to), you can afford to take a little more pride and dress up a little. All the information is out there, I think the FDR should stay in a more dressy environment and if you don't want to dress up, don't go to the FDR. Everyone can go on the first day in whatever you want, you can also go in there on the last day in whatever you want. So for dinner, dress up.....just my opinion. icon7.gif

Opinion noted.

I dress up for formal nights in a suit, but I totally disagree that someone who chooses not to dress up has to go to the buffet and not enjoy the dining room. Again... in no way should their attire (I'm talking presentable attire; polo, khakis, dress shoes) hinder YOUR experience.

Life's too short people, relax and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about what other people are wearing in the dining room. Do what you want to do in order to enjoy your cruise to the fullest and nothing else should matter. You're on vacation guys... my god.

The formal night is part of the event and teaching kids about dressing up to do something special is important.

Our 7-night had two formal and one semi. Our tablemates were of African descent and had a nice idea and wore traditional formal attire on two of those nights.

The last tropical cruise I went on with my parents, for the formal night we wore what would be considered formal for where we were (Bahamas).

The attitude of "its my vacation I'll do what I want" is great, but allow others to do what they want as well.

Archived