Huh? Chartering a cruise ship...??

trippingpara

Okay, I'm a complete newbie and novice at this cruising thing. I've spent a lot of time in the Marine Corps as "cargo" on Navy ships so I figured that a real cruise ship has got to be a few steps up the luxury ladder and the cruise ports would be a whole lot more enjoyable than getting shot at in the ports that we tended to be dropped off at!

Now, for my real question. I've been spending a lot of time researching and reading up on cruising in this forum (thanks for all the info!!). I'm reading a lot about various cruise lines cancelling booked cruises because someone has chartered the ship or has cancelled because of a private cruise. Seriously?? What the heck does that mean? Somehow, I don't think that Bill Gates is chartering the cruise ship for his own little Caribbean cruise, so what does that mean and what is the likelihood of that happening on any given cruise?

Sincerely,

A Slightly Confused Jarhead

Does it happen? yes.

Does it happen often? No.

We have been on 25 cruises and never had it happen. When it does it is usually before they start taking reservations, so it is rare that booked passengers are "kicked off"

The odds of that happening are small, but they do exist! There are many different groups who may have a couple of thousand people who want to sail at the same time....Rock and Roll cruises, Biker cruises, Evangelical cruises, Oprah cruises....lesbian or gay cruises, nude cruises......and you may not want to be onboard when some of these "groups" have a charter! So, it's for everyone's benefit! If you do get "bumped" because of a charter, you'll get some form of compensation...a decent OBC or reduced rate.

Don't worry...the liklihood of it happening to you is small.

Welcome to CruiseCritic, and thank you for your service to our country! :cool: (My son is getting ready to do a stint working on one of those big grey cruise ships -- called the Nimitz :D)

Having a booked cruise pulled out from under you -- whether it's for a charter, unscheduled dry dock, or permanent itinerary change -- does happen. :eek: But, fortunately, it's a rare occurrence. Just track your cruise to make sure there are no sudden changes. One good way to do this is join your roll-call, here on CC. It's also a great way to get to know the folks you'll be cruising with, and to get answers to some of your questions.

Relax, don't worry -- and have a great cruise! :)

The odds of that happening are small, but they do exist! There are many different groups who may have a couple of thousand people who want to sail at the same time....Rock and Roll cruises, Biker cruises, Evangelical cruises, Oprah cruises....lesbian or gay cruises, nude cruises......and you may not want to be onboard when some of these "groups" have a charter! So, it's for everyone's benefit! If you do get "bumped" because of a charter, you'll get some form of compensation...a decent OBC or reduced rate.

Don't worry...the liklihood of it happening to you is small.

I agree, the list of groups who may charter ships is very long, and from every corner of society, as well as many business or business related groups. Additionally, there are groups who put large numbers of people on ships, but don't fully take over the ship. We did a 14 day B2B in December. We had a conservate broadcasting group with speakers from Fox News the first week (about 600 people), and a liberal media group with many Occupiers the second week, with about 800 people.

The "standard" 7 day routes in places like the Caribbean and Alaska seem to be the common targets for charters and large groups, but other cruises of varying lengths can also be chartered.

Okay, I'm a complete newbie and novice at this cruising thing. I've spent a lot of time in the Marine Corps as "cargo" on Navy ships so I figured that a real cruise ship has got to be a few steps up the luxury ladder and the cruise ports would be a whole lot more enjoyable than getting shot at in the ports that we tended to be dropped off at!

Now, for my real question. I've been spending a lot of time researching and reading up on cruising in this forum (thanks for all the info!!). I'm reading a lot about various cruise lines cancelling booked cruises because someone has chartered the ship or has cancelled because of a private cruise. Seriously?? What the heck does that mean? Somehow, I don't think that Bill Gates is chartering the cruise ship for his own little Caribbean cruise, so what does that mean and what is the likelihood of that happening on any given cruise?

Sincerely,

Yes, it does happen and from a business perspective it makes sense for the cruise lines to do this. Usually if it happens it's at about the 9 month before the cruise mark. As others have mentioned there is quite a bit of diversity in the kinds of groups that charter a ship, but once the ship is chartered the cruise line can no longer make bookings on the ship- it belongs to the charter.

I served on a Gator Freighter as my first ship, the USS Boulder (LST-1190):).

It does happen and though infrequent, it seems to happen more and more.

I have had two cruises cancelled after booking out of 25 cruises sailed or booked.........that is still only about 10%..........both times got shipboard credit for the cancellation, although the cruiselines aren't bound to do this.

It does happen and though infrequent, it seems to happen more and more.

I have had two cruises cancelled after booking out of 25 cruises sailed or booked.........that is still only about 10%..........both times got shipboard credit for the cancellation, although the cruiselines aren't bound to do this.

Never happened to us but when it does, I thought the cruise lines would try to replace the itinerary with a different ship (if available) - or is it SOP to just cancel the itinerary outright? (I realize that each ship is in high demand and has limited non-scheduled availabilty so I may be answering my own question).

Never happened to us but when it does, I thought the cruise lines would try to replace the itinerary with a different ship (if available) - or is it SOP to just cancel the itinerary outright? (I realize that each ship is in high demand and has limited non-scheduled availabilty so I may be answering my own question).

Cruise lines do not have a spare ship available to replace one that is chartered. They cancel the normal itinerary. Most will offer some compensation to people who were already booked when the cruise is cancelled - either discount or OBC for future cruise.

That's what I figured and was answering my own question. (Hesitated on hitting submit). I realize there are not usually ships hanging around waiting for somewhere to go! And obviously the whole issue around a charter would be a better value for that ship and itinerary at the time. Thanks for helping me realize the obvious!

What they have done in the past, at least on RCCL is offer you (or at least in our case) 3 alternative cruises to choose from........same price, same cabin category. None of those worked for us, so we simply asked can we transfer to a certain particular cruise.............they said yes AND gave us a $400 shipboard credit.

Somehow, I don't think that Bill Gates is chartering the cruise ship for his own little Caribbean cruise, so what does that mean and what is the likelihood of that happening on any given cruise?

Actually, some years ago when Bill Gates was CEO of Microsoft, he DID charter one of the Crystal ships (Harmony or Symphony). Not for his own little Caribbean cruise, but for a corporate retreat.

Actually, some years ago when Bill Gates was CEO of Microsoft, he DID charter one of the Crystal ships (Harmony or Symphony). Not for his own little Caribbean cruise, but for a corporate retreat.

Bill Gates has a yacht that is not much smaller than the Crystal ships.

Now, for my real question. I've been spending a lot of time researching and reading up on cruising in this forum (thanks for all the info!!). I'm reading a lot about various cruise lines canceling booked cruises because someone has chartered the ship or has canceled because of a private cruise. Seriously?? What the heck does that mean? Somehow, I don't think that Bill Gates is chartering the cruise ship for his own little Caribbean cruise, so what does that mean and what is the likelihood of that happening on any given cruise?

Sincerely,

I've been on 16 cruises and never had that happen but as there are typically multiple ships going to any given destination on any given popular port, if it did happen I would just take advantage of the last minute cruise savings and book another cruise out of the same port going to the same destination. I would probably even get additional discount or OBC for the inconvenience. While I've never had a cruise canceled, (knock on wood!), I have had the itinerary change. I was on a Cruise to Cozumel, Jamaica, and Grand Caymans and after Cozumel they announced that due to a hurricane hitting Jamaica and Grand Cayman about the time the boat was supposed to dock at each of these they were diverting to the Bahamas instead. Some folks on board were Soooo upset and were threatening to sue if the boat didn't go to their desired itinerary???:eek: Get real! They would rather sail into a hurricane than go to the Bahamas??? I wouldn't really call going Nassau a fate worse than death but I guess some opinions differ! :rolleyes: I'm glad the Captain of that boat made OUR health and wellbeing his number one priority rather than than pleasing a few pushy passengers.

Bill Gates has a yacht that is not much smaller than the Crystal ships.

Actually Paul Allen - Microsoft co-founder - is one of the kings of mega yachts with several, the two largest of which are Octopus at 414' and Tatoosh at 303'. Saw Tatoosh at Grand Cayman a few years ago and again last year in FLL in the harbor adjacent to Oasis.

The Ocean Princess was docked in Cape Town in 2010 next to the Rising Sun. At the time, Larry Ellison (Founder, etc of Oracle Corp), owned the 453 foot yacht that cost $200 million to build. He was off on safari before the World Cup.

The Ocean Princess was docked in Cape Town in 2010 next to the Rising Sun. At the time, Larry Ellison (Founder, etc of Oracle Corp), owned the 453 foot yacht that cost $200 million to build. He was off on safari before the World Cup.

Familiar with that one as well. (he now owns a similarly styled smaller one). Mega yachts / yacht spotting is sort of a hobby of mine. Have seen several at different ports of call in our cruising, including the Onassis yacht Christina in St. Martin a number of cruises ago.

We were bumped off of the Caribbean Princess when it was chartered as housing for an economic summit. We rebooked a different cruise and Princess gave us a nice OBC plus paid our airline fees to change our flight. It wasn't a bad deal at all.

I remember Oprah Winfrey chartering NCL Gem out of Barcelona, and Queen Elizabeth has chartered Hebridean Princess twice for family occasions; one of Fred Olsen's ships has been chartered for accommodation at this year's Olympics.

Jo.

I work for a large retailer and the managers and supervisors of the top 55 stores get to go on a cruise. We finished 6th so will be going on a four night late April. I wonder what it will be like with 400 employees plus 400 of their guests filling half of the ship and regular guests filing the other half...

Cruise lines make a great deal of money on charters and are thrilled when they have the opportunity for a full ship charter.

If the ship is going to be chartered, it is normally done in the range of 6 or more months out but there are exceptions.

Usually we would receive notice early enough to make alternative plans.

It is far better IMO for them to full charter than to have a very large group that comprises 50% of the total number of passengers. That is miserable for those not part of the group. Rooms are reserved for the group alone, pools have been taken over and no one but the group can use it, lounge might be 'group only', they sometimes take over an entire main dining room dinner seating and everyone else is forced into what remainsl.... we were exposed to that once and it was awful. Cruise lines try hard to keep word of the group quiet and have been known to deny when asked.

I work for a large retailer and the managers and supervisors of the top 55 stores get to go on a cruise. We finished 6th so will be going on a four night late April. I wonder what it will be like with 400 employees plus 400 of their guests filling half of the ship and regular guests filing the other half...

It can be unpleasant for the guests not with the group. Large charters, IME, can take over venues and the facilities. If I was booked on a cruise with a charter, I'd cancel if possible and rebook another cruise.

We have been on 2 chartered cruises. One was for top performers in my husbands (then) company aboard the Monarch. We had a few hundred passengers that week. It was our first time to Coco Cay and boy were we spoiled ! Most of these boring people never left the ship !

It can be unpleasant for the guests not with the group. Large charters, IME, can take over venues and the facilities. If I was booked on a cruise with a charter, I'd cancel if possible and rebook another cruise.

Small technicality. "Charters" are only open to the people allowed by the entity chartering the ship. The Chartering entity takes the entire ship.

Large "group" booking will have non group members on the ship. The general public can book on a cruise when a group is on board, but not when the ship has been chartered.

Archived