Replacement for the Monarch

Legend isn't showing any scheds after Jan 2013. Could she be the Monarch's replacement? :cool:

Part of me thinks that RCI should bring a bigger ship to compete with the increased capacity (Disney's larger ship and Carnival's second ship doing Bahamas from PC). But part of me thinks that it might be stupid for RCI to add even more capacity to this market, in which case a ship of similar size to the Monarch (Legend) might be the answer...

Hope they replace her with a Vision class or larger.

Since the Visions are the smallest in the fleet*, that is pretty much a given.

*I know, after the extension Enchantment is slightly larger in terms of GT than the Sovereigns but the Sovereigns still have greater passenger capacity than all Visions -- even Enchantment. Greater than the Radiances for that matter.

Will always have fond memories of Monarch. First cruise in 1994 on Monarch out of San Juan. Cruised her many times out of PC when we lived in Central Florida. Now we are on Majesty all the time since we live in SW FL. But Monarch will always hold a special place in our hearts since she is the one that got us addicted to cruising.

Interesting - when our taxi pulled into the port at Barcelona last fall, we were greeted by the Sovereign. I have been hoping for a while that we would get an upgrade at Port Canaveral, maybe a Radiance class but that is too much to ask probably.

I wouldn't bother trying to replace the Monarch. Let the Majesty do those runs by herself. RCI is expanding to other regions - Legend is in Asia, so that isn't an option to bring her back. Maybe in 2014 one of the other classes will go back to Port Canaveral for Bahama cruises when the Sunshine ship replaces one of them. Or, let a Celebrity ship take over for Monarch.

Hi,

I follow Royal Caribbean's ship deployment closely. It will be interesting to see what they do. Of course, the decision will be based on how well the short cruises from Miami and Port Canaveral are booking and whether Royal Caribbean thinks there is an opportunity to expand these markets. I wonder which short cruises are more popular--the cruises from Miami or the cruises from Port Canaveral? The Majesty of the Seas may be moved to Port Canaveral, but it is safe to assume that the Majesty of the Seas' days with Royal Caribbean also are numbered.

As previous posters have noted, replacement of the Monarch of the Seas with one of the Vision ships would actually slightly reduce the capacity. Also, I would be surprised to see a Radiance class permanently assigned to the short cruise market at this point. Because these ships have faster cruising speeds (I know that Royal Caribbean considers them their "Ferraris"), they are best suited for longer itineraries. I realize that the Jewel of the Seas sails on 4/5 night cruises during the winter (love this ship), but it does longer cruises during the balance of the year.

If Royal Caribbean sees the potential to expand the market, a Voyager class ship could be permanently placed in the short cruise market. However, I wonder if they would be able to fill all of these berths twice a week?

Royal Caribbean has several different options. It will be very interesting to see which option they choose.

Chuck

Monarch was my first RCCL cruise.

I'm enjoying the speculations already being tossed about.

It'll be fun to see who's right.

My hope is that RCCL brings in Vision class ship although I don't think it's likely. I just hope they don't move the Majesty up to Port Canaveral.

Hi,

I follow Royal Caribbean's ship deployment closely. It will be interesting to see what they do. Of course, the decision will be based on how well the short cruises from Miami and Port Canaveral are booking and whether Royal Caribbean thinks there is an opportunity to expand these markets. I wonder which short cruises are more popular--the cruises from Miami or the cruises from Port Canaveral? The Majesty of the Seas may be moved to Port Canaveral, but it is safe to assume that the Majesty of the Seas' days with Royal Caribbean also are numbered.

As previous posters have noted, replacement of the Monarch of the Seas with one of the Vision ships would actually slightly reduce the capacity. Also, I would be surprised to see a Radiance class permanently assigned to the short cruise market at this point. Because these ships have faster cruising speeds (I know that Royal Caribbean considers them their "Ferraris"), they are best suited for longer itineraries. I realize that the Jewel of the Seas sails on 4/5 night cruises during the winter (love this ship), but it does longer cruises during the balance of the year.

If Royal Caribbean sees the potential to expand the market, a Voyager class ship could be permanently placed in the short cruise market. However, I wonder if they would be able to fill all of these berths twice a week?

Royal Caribbean has several different options. It will be very interesting to see which option they choose.

Chuck

I would love a Voyager class replacing Monarch!

My hope is that RCCL brings in Vision class ship although I don't think it's likely. I just hope they don't move the Majesty up to Port Canaveral.

The latter is unlikely in that both ships have to be moved due to RCL's inability to retrofit the ships to meet the new fuel/emission requirements that are coming up in 2013.

Also, both Monarch and Majesty account for 500,000 passengers a year for RCL. It would seem that business would mandate that replacement ships have equivalent passenger capability for venues that are always full. Only time will tell!

Any replacement ship works for me. I've already been on the Majesty, so I'd like to enjoy another ship to the Bahamas.

I guess I will be saving my Next Cruise certificate until I find out and then I can book immediately.

Rhapsody is being completely reconfigured in 45 days, so doing a complete refurbish in 3-4 weeks is not difficult.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

And the Enchantment was cut in half and stretched in only 31 days.

The latter is unlikely in that both ships have to be moved due to RCL's inability to retrofit the ships to meet the new fuel/emission requirements that are coming up in 2013.

Also, both Monarch and Majesty account for 500,000 passengers a year for RCL. It would seem that business would mandate that replacement ships have equivalent passenger capability for venues that are always full. Only time will tell!

Not at all sure RCI is using passenger capacity as a metric in their decision. Much more likely that they're using revenue generation per passenger. Given that Monarch has the least number of suites, junior suites, (and no balcony cabins) of any ship in the fleet, there probably is a ratio of how many interior and OV cabins you can lose if you replace them with balcony and above. We're on Monarch in October An interior on that cruse is $229/pp. Our JS is $579/pp. That's a 2.5/1 revenue ratio. An SOV is $329 (1.8/1). If you position a balcony cabin halfway between an SOV and a JS ~$450/pp, then every balcony room would offset the booking revenue of two interior rooms. Purely back of the envelope, but you could probably get the same booking revenue with 300-400 fewer passengers. Couple that with the room sets on the newer ships (fewer cabins that sleep 3 or 4 pax) and you move those pax into their own cabins at a higher pp rate as well. You're also moving a lot of fixed cost over into variable cost, which improves your breakeven point dramatically.

Sorry but it must be me.

I sail 4 years ago with my high school band students on the sovereign and they dumped the ship. We sailed this jan with them and they are dumping the ship. If you start a pool of money I will take them again on a ship you would like to see removed from the fleet.

Rccl must step up at port canaveral to take on Disney and carnival. Have sailed on both lines and loved them both for many different reasons. This is a perfect port to place a bigger class of ships for the 3 or 4 day cruise. Disney is very high priced and carnival is carnival. Royal will need to keep this market share from going somewhere else.

Loved the monarch. But did not like the inside staterooms. Disney spoiled me.

Kids loved the ship and had a great performance

Three Options:

Option A) No replacement, although I believe this is highly unlikely.

Option B) Majesty moves up from Miami to PC, thus allowing RCL to place a larger ship in the 3/4 night market. Maybe a Radiance Class?

Option C) Vision Class Ship replaces Monarch.

Remember that it is rumored that Jewel is NOT going to Europe next year, so maybe she will be a temporary replacement?

I think it's pretty much a given that Majesty will move up to Port Canaveral. I would not be surprised to see Navigator replace Majesty in Miami, especially as the Sunshine ships join the fleet. Navigator occasionally sails out of Miami anyway. It's a popular route that's pretty much always booked. RCL needs to be able to compete with Carnival and NCL on the same route.

I suspect the Majesty will replace the Monarch and the larger ship will go out of Miami. The Miami 3 and 4 night cruises appear to be priced slightly higher in general.

The Majesty of the Seas may be moved to Port Canaveral, but it is safe to assume that the Majesty of the Seas' days with Royal Caribbean also are numbered.

I think it's pretty much a given that Majesty will move up to Port Canaveral.

In my opinion it is highly doubtful that Majesty will replace Monarch in Port Canaveral. In order to change the homeport for Majesty they'd have to do a repositioning cruise from Miami to Port Canaveral. However, in doing that they'll hit the "distant" foreign port provision of the PVSA. This says that a foreign-flagged ship going from one American port to a different American port must visit a distant foreign port in between. And, no, the Bahamas does not count as a distant foreign port.:D

A distant foreign port must be outside of North America. Bermuda and the Northern Caribbean are considered to be part of North America.

So, in order to reposition the Majesty they would have to go to, say, Aruba or Curacao (South America) before going to Port Canaveral.

And I really don't see that particular itinerary happening. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

In my opinion it is highly doubtful that Majesty will replace Monarch in Port Canaveral. In order to change the homeport for Majesty they'd have to do a repositioning cruise from Miami to Port Canaveral. However, in doing that they'll hit the "distant" foreign port provision of the PVSA. This says that a foreign-flagged ship going from one American port to a different American port must visit a distant foreign port in between. And, no, the Bahamas does not count as a distant foreign port.:D

A distant foreign port must be outside of North America. Bermuda and the Northern Caribbean are considered to be part of North America.

So, in order to reposition the Majesty they would have to go to, say, Aruba or Curacao (South America) before going to Port Canaveral.

And I really don't see that particular itinerary happening. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

They can always move the ship without passengers...........just like when they move the JW from Tampa to Miami next month.

Three Options:

Option A) No replacement, although I believe this is highly unlikely.

Option B) Majesty moves up from Miami to PC, thus allowing RCL to place a larger ship in the 3/4 night market. Maybe a Radiance Class?

Option C) Vision Class Ship replaces Monarch.

Remember that it is rumored that Jewel is NOT going to Europe next year, so maybe she will be a temporary replacement?

I think it would be cool if the Jewel started doing the 10-night carribean that the Vision is now scheduled for!!!

They can always move the ship without passengers...........just like when they move the JW from Tampa to Miami next month.
That's true.

I still personally don't think they'd move Majesty just to have to transfer her out soon after because of the new regulations (unless they can bring her up to those standards :confused:).

Rccl must step up at port canaveral to take on Disney and carnival.

....or they can decide that they are abandoning the short Bahamas cruises from Pt. Canaveral completely. When the Sovereign left the fleet, Monarch was moved from its short itineraries in Los Angeles and no ship replaced her, leaving Carnival as the only cruise line doing that type of sailing over there.

It wouldn't be the first time, it wouldn't be the last time. It seems to me that RCI is (smartly) placing ships where they generate the most money, and not necessarily to compete head on with the competition. Why assign a ship to do cruises that average $200-$300 pp when they could have that ship somewhere else in the world generating revenue 2-3 times higher?

I enjoyed 3 trips on the Monarch.. twice with my mom and sister, and once with DH and his brother/wife. Simple cruises that focused on relaxation, warm weather, good service, etc. I almost feel bad that I'm doing the Majesty in November instead of the Monarch, as a means to introduce my friends to cruising. If I could squeeze another weekend cruise, I would, but I'm pushing it as it is over the next year. Oh well... I will remember the good times and wish it well for its future.

Archived