Replacement for the Monarch

In my opinion it is highly doubtful that Majesty will replace Monarch in Port Canaveral. In order to change the homeport for Majesty they'd have to do a repositioning cruise from Miami to Port Canaveral...

What's to prevent them from moving the ship dead-head without passengers?

This made the Orlando Sentinel, even has a quote from Adam...

By Richard Tribou, Orlando Sentinel 9:51 a.m. EDT, March 20, 2012

No, it's not the Witness Protection Program, but the Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas will be changing homes and names.

The Monarch of the Seas, which sails out of Port Canaveral under the Royal Caribbean International brand for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. will be transferred to sister brand Pullmantur, which sails out of Madrid, Spain. Its name most likely will just shorten up to MS Monarch, as did former Royal Caribbean vessels Empress of the Seas and Sovereign of the Seas.

817-grey.gif

The Monarch of the Seas is one of two ships Royal Caribbean bases at the Orlando-area port sailing 3- and 4-night jaunts to the Bahamas. The transfer won't be until April 2013, which allows time for Royal Caribbean to potentially shift another vessel to the port.

"We are saddened by the loss of Monarch of the Seas from our fleet, but we're glad that she will go to our sister-brand Pullmantur and forge a new path to deliver exciting vacations to Spanish travelers," said spokesperson Harrison Liu. "Royal Caribbean values our partnership with Port Canaveral and future deployments after spring 2013 and potential replacement for the Short Bahamas product there will be announced in the next couple of months."

Port Canaveral actually has nine vessels calling it home for the next few weeks before the Disney Magic leaves for New York as the new Disney Fantasy begins sailing. Also departing will be Norwegian Cruise Line as the Norwegian Sun makes its way to Europe at the end of April for the summer, but will then sail out of the Port of Miami.

"We are very proud of Monarch of the Seas for delivering great service and outstanding destinations to vacationers since her maiden voyage," said Adam Goldstein, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean International. "She will go on creating wonderful travel memories through her final sailings for our brand through next March and then continue doing the same for Pullmantur's guests."

The addition of Monarch to the Pullmantur brand will increase its total guest capacity by nearly 25 percent. The brand offers all-inclusive cruise holidays. It currently sails four vessels and leads the Spanish and Portuguese markets for cruise holidays.

Pullmantur started sailing its own cruise ships in 2001 with another Port Canaveral-based ship, for those of you remember the Big Red Boat, which has since moved on to sail with Japan-based Peace Boat. The line also sailed for a time the former Love Boat -- the Princess Cruises Pacific Princess, which recently was scrapped. Its current fleet includes the Sovereign, Empress, Horizon and Zenith.

"The transfer of Monarch of the Seas will reinforce Pullmantur in our Latin American growth strategy, and help us become one of the most widely recognized brands," said Pullmantur's President and CEO, Gonzalo Chico Barbier.

The 2,744-passenger, Sovereign-class ship debuted in 1991 and was refurbished in 1999 and 2003. It was among the world's largest when introduced. The Monarch is the oldest of Royal Caribbean's current fleet of 22 ships. Sister ship Majesty of the Seas was built in 1992 and will be the last of the Sovereign-class ships in the fleet. The line has two ships on order for delivery in 2013 and 2014. Its last new vessels were the groundbreaking Oasis of the Seas (2009) and Allure of the Seas (2010), the current titleholders for world's largest cruise ship.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/vacation-starter/cruise-lines/royal-caribbean-international/vs-royal-caribbean-monarch-of-the-seas-pullmantur-032012,0,548329.story

Monarch was my first RCCL cruise.

I'm enjoying the speculations already being tossed about.

It'll be fun to see who's right.

My hope is that RCCL brings in Vision class ship although I don't think it's likely. I just hope they don't move the Majesty up to Port Canaveral.

I agree...while I loved trips on Sovereign, Monarch and Majesty..they are basically the same ship...would love to see a different class.

They need to keep the short cruises at PC..alot of folks pair a Disney visit with a Cruise...RCI shouldnt hand this market over to DCL..just my opinion!!!

Hi,

I decided to book a short cruise on the Monarch of the Seas before it is too late. I cruised aboard the Sovereign of the Seas twice (seven-day cruises in 1988 (when she was only six months old) and 1995) and the Majesty of the Seas once (three-day cruise in 2001). By adding the Monarch of the Seas, I will have cruised on all three of the Sovereign class ships. I was able to get a great price on the cruise and reasonable airfare from Chicago to Orlando. I realize it is an older ship, but it should be a nice long weekend (only need to miss two days of work).

Chuck

I agree...while I loved trips on Sovereign, Monarch and Majesty..they are basically the same ship...would love to see a different class.

They need to keep the short cruises at PC..alot of folks pair a Disney visit with a Cruise...RCI shouldnt hand this market over to DCL..just my opinion!!!

RCCL does package deals with Universal Studios...

With pullmutar officially announcing Monarch being added to its fleet, it's time to start the speculation. Will RCCL be keeping a 3-4 night ship in Port Canaveral????? And if so what will be replacing her? Ready set go!!!!!
A garbage scow would make a suitable replacement. It's time that tub left the fleet.

"We are saddened by the loss of Monarch of the Seas from our fleet, but we're glad that she will go to our sister-brand Pullmantur and forge a new path to deliver exciting vacations to Spanish travelers," said spokesperson Harrison Liu. "Royal Caribbean values our partnership with Port Canaveral and future deployments after spring 2013 and potential replacement for the Short Bahamas product there will be announced in the next couple of months."

I think this proves that RCI will not be abandoning PC in the short cruise area. If they were going to discontinue 3/4s from there, the verbiage would probably be more like: "we will be deciding the future of our short Bahamas product within the next couple of months."

Monarch was our first cruise just a couple of years ago. Four days off California (San Diego, Catalina, and Ensenada), just to see if we would like crusing. We did.

Thankyou Monarch and the wonderful crew that helped make out first cruise so memorable.

I would like to thank the crew of the Monarch and CD Drew Devine and Marc Walker for making my trips on the Monarch very memorable.

I believe that they will move over a Voyager class ship over to PC to take over the Monarch's route. I think that it may be Navigator.

Well now I do want to plan one more short cruise on the Monarch as a farewell cruise whithin the next year.

I could not believe they would not replace this ship. The 3/4 day market is a big profit for this company. A seven day ship from here would not make money like the short market.

I think we will see a nice ship coming to the port

Hi,

I decided to book a short cruise on the Monarch of the Seas before it is too late. I cruised aboard the Sovereign of the Seas twice (seven-day cruises in 1988 (when she was only six months old) and 1995) and the Majesty of the Seas once (three-day cruise in 2001). By adding the Monarch of the Seas, I will have cruised on all three of the Sovereign class ships. I was able to get a great price on the cruise and reasonable airfare from Chicago to Orlando. I realize it is an older ship, but it should be a nice long weekend (only need to miss two days of work).

Chuck

When I lived in Orlando, you could leave work Friday at noon, be on the ship by 2:00. on Monday you could be to work by 9:30. no need for any time off

Three Options:

Option A) No replacement, although I believe this is highly unlikely.

Option B) Majesty moves up from Miami to PC, thus allowing RCL to place a larger ship in the 3/4 night market. Maybe a Radiance Class?

Option C) Vision Class Ship replaces Monarch.

Remember that it is rumored that Jewel is NOT going to Europe next year, so maybe she will be a temporary replacement?

I like your option C with the replacement being the Enchantment, and this is why. Last Nov., I was on the Monarch and I met Royal Caribbean's #1 traveller (supposedly). He was a Pinnacle catergory with over 500 sea days on RCI, and he told me outright the Monarch was leaving the fleet in early 2013. Voila! it'll be 4/2013, and he also said that the Enchantment would replace. He supposedly knew someone high up in RCI who told him it would be announced in early 2012--voila again! At the Captains Call on the Monarch I asked the Captain outright if he knew of the ship's planned leaving with Enchantment replacing, and he said definitely not but there was a "look" on the faces of the other 2 Officers that said "bingo!". So we'll see if the Pinnacle guy was right. For sure that market out of P. Canaveral is big for 3-4 day cruises. RCI Diamond Plus passengers who live in FL use the Monarch as a 3-4 day condo getaway!! Dan of AwayatSea

My money would be on Enchantment, with a small possibly of Navigator.

Makes sense. Monarch holds 2744. Enchantment, because of its stretching, holds 2730, almost a perfect swap. Add in that Enchantment has balconies which should bring in more money than the outsides/insides they replace, and it's a sound financial decision as well. Could also see its unmodified sister, Grandeur, taking over for the Majesty when the time comes. Replacing the remaining Sovereign class ships with the largest pair of the Vision class just seems like the logical choice.

When I lived in Orlando, you could leave work Friday at noon, be on the ship by 2:00. on Monday you could be to work by 9:30. no need for any time off

We do just that 2-3 times a year, except with laptops and tablets, we leave the house around 9:30, are on the ship before noon, grab lunch at the WJ and find a quiet spot on the pool deck to do work until the muster drill:cool:

Here is Monarch replacement the Enchantment of the seas alot of upper officers said she would replace the Monarch in PC and that Celebrity is looking at PC as well.

How many is alot? What upper officers? Not flaming, just probing the statement.

I LOVE the Monarch and totally disagree with the hater OP above that called her a "tub".

With that said, Im glad her replacement will have more options for accessible cabins instead of just two deck 2 insides or two deck 9 SOV's.

It appears Enchantment has six insides, seven outsides, four balconies and two junior suites that are accessible.

that would be great!

Makes sense. Monarch holds 2744. Enchantment, because of its stretching, holds 2730, almost a perfect swap. Add in that Enchantment has balconies which should bring in more money than the outsides/insides they replace, and it's a sound financial decision as well. Could also see its unmodified sister, Grandeur, taking over for the Majesty when the time comes. Replacing the remaining Sovereign class ships with the largest pair of the Vision class just seems like the logical choice.

Absolutely, and if they can keep the prices down RCI will have the only modern ship (i.e. higher # of balconys, & 150sf o/views) doing the 3/4 jaunt from PC. Carnival's Ecstasy & Sensation are both older style ships.

Next Thur I'm going solo on the 4 day Jewel (Tampa to Cozumel) cruise. I snared an aft-view superior o/v with monster balcony for the equivalent of $300pp just a couple weeks ago. If they can keep the costs down on a Radiance class, then they should be able to make a Vision class work out of PC. The Monarch used to feather one prop (or so said the chief engineer) to keep costs down since they could cover that short PC to Bahamas distance at a mere 9 knots.

I sure won't miss Monarch's tiny 120sf o/view cabins though. To me the best value on the Monarch is the deck 9 -155sf superior o/view cabins, even if they do overlook the tops of the lifeboats. They're quiet with no insides opposite. And the price was often less than those coffin-sized o/views on the decks below. And those junior suites at 170sf are normal modern ship balcony cabin sizes. RIP Monarch you were kind of nice for an older ship with lots of brass & wood, and so it's Hello Enchantment?? Dan of AwayatSea

Absolutely, and if they can keep the prices down RCI will have the only modern ship (i.e. higher # of balconys, & 150sf o/views) doing the 3/4 jaunt from PC. Carnival's Ecstasy & Sensation are both older style ships.

Except for Disney's new ship, the Dream, which does 3/4 day cruises out of PC, and is state-of-the-art;)

Archived