Star Princess investigation

ONT-CA

Yes, maybe they will - but I think they shouldn't. It can't be that hard to figure out where the communication problem occured and then tell us what they are doing to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Yeah, I was wondering the same...just finished reading the thread (was on a ship the last week)...some very interesting points were made, and some statements repeated over and over.

Didnt find anything new through news/Google searches, so just fired off a comment to the FB thread on Princess' page (https://www.facebook.com/PrincessCruises/posts/104158879720418). I think they've had enough time by now to figure out who didnt pass on the report, where exactly the "communication problem" occured and tell the world/their future customers.

I answered you and I guess you did not read Princesses April 24 post that states "Our flag state of Bermuda is also investigating and we are cooperating fully. We have agreed not to pre-empt their work by discussing any of our preliminary findings, and when their investigation is complete we will be able to provide more details"

Jup, I missed that comment of theirs, they just posted it again on a separate post I made on their page (because I wasnt sure they were gonna see it buried all the way at the end of the main thread). I don't agree with that strategy - it would be much better if Princess told us exactly what happened on the ship rather than hiding behind statements that seem to be crafted by lawyers, but oh well, too bad. Let's hope we'll get the full story in a few months then.

[side note, for a moment I was in disbelief and thought you were the person that replied to my post with an extremely rude comment...glad I found your real one ;-)....the other one is here:

Jup, I missed that comment of theirs, they just posted it again on a separate post I made on their page (because I wasnt sure they were gonna see it buried all the way at the end of the main thread). I don't agree with that strategy - it would be much better if Princess told us exactly what happened on the ship rather than hiding behind statements that seem to be crafted by lawyers, but oh well, too bad. Let's hope we'll get the full story in a few months then.

[side note, for a moment I was in disbelief and thought you were the person that replied to my post with an extremely rude comment...glad I found your real one ;-)....the other one is here:

Besides the investigation, investigations, (Panama may also investigate) and I am sure there will be lawsuits. That is why they are hushing up now and following their legal departments advice. Have patience, we will get more about waht happened later, both from the investigations and the lawsuits.

I don't agree with that strategy - it would be much better if Princess told us exactly what happened on the ship rather than hiding behind statements that seem to be crafted by lawyers, but oh well, too bad. Let's hope we'll get the full story in a few months then.
So, you think Princess should divulge information about one aspect of the investigation before the Bermuda government has had a chance to examine all the facts? Sorry, that strategy doesn't make sense to me. I'll wait for ALL of the facts from the completed investigation rather than demand one fact just so some people can point fingers.

I don't agree with that strategy - it would be much better if Princess told us exactly what happened on the ship rather than hiding behind statements that seem to be crafted by lawyers, but oh well, too bad. Let's hope we'll get the full story in a few months then.

I think as a society we expect immediate results (the Law and Order effect - anything can be solved/explained in 1 hour :p). The reality is that it takes time and rushing to judgment isn't fair to anyone.

Well, I think it's safe to assume that Princess knew a few days after they became aware of the issue and investigated where exactly the communication problem occured. Pam, Princess already did exactly what you claim I am asking for, divulging "one aspect of the investigation before the Bermuda government has had a chance to examine all the facts" - they came out saying the captain never knew. While that may really be true, I'd really appreciate them coming out with an exact timeline starting from when the birders approached the first crew member. What exactly happened afterwards? They know and the only reasons for not telling us can really be PR or legal. So no, I don't want them to tell us about one aspect of the investigation, I want them to tell us what exactly happened on the ship from their perspective, and since they already admitted that there was a communication problem among the crew, I want them to tell us what they have done so far and are doing so this never happens again. The Bermuda investigation can still run on the side.

Well, I think it's safe to assume that Princess knew a few days after they became aware of the issue and investigated where exactly the communication problem occured. Pam, Princess already did exactly what you claim I am asking for, divulging "one aspect of the investigation before the Bermuda government has had a chance to examine all the facts" - they came out saying the captain never knew. While that may really be true, I'd really appreciate them coming out with an exact timeline starting from when the birders approached the first crew member. What exactly happened afterwards? They know and the only reasons for not telling us can really be PR or legal. So no, I don't want them to tell us about one aspect of the investigation, I want them to tell us what exactly happened on the ship from their perspective, and since they already admitted that there was a communication problem among the crew, I want them to tell us what they have done so far and are doing so this never happens again. The Bermuda investigation can still run on the side.

So, If I understand your post, you believe that you have a right to know what happened aboard the Star Princess, even though you were not involved in this tragic event. As I see it, you have no rights in this matter whatsoever. You, as a customer or potential customer of Princess Cruise Lines have a right to be assured by the cruise line, if you choose to use them, to a safe cruise. You do have the right to choose another cruise line based on whatever criterion you want to use. Princess has a right, and would be well advised, to make no public comments about this tragic event Period! They must comply fully with any authorized investigation and if the entity conducting that investigation decides afterward to make their investigation public, you will then have the right to read it and voice your opinion of the facts. A very well known saying applies here, no pun intended, "loose lips sink ships"!

So, If I understand your post, you believe that you have a right to know what happened aboard the Star Princess, even though you were not involved in this tragic event. As I see it, you have no rights in this matter whatsoever. You, as a customer or potential customer of Princess Cruise Lines have a right to be assured by the cruise line, if you choose to use them, to a safe cruise. You do have the right to choose another cruise line based on whatever criterion you want to use. Princess has a right, and would be well advised, to make no public comments about this tragic event Period! They must comply fully with any authorized investigation and if the entity conducting that investigation decides afterward to make their investigation public, you will then have the right to read it and voice your opinion of the facts. A very well known saying applies here, no pun intended, "loose lips sink ships"!

Bravo to you!!

It is standard business practice to not make any statements until the investigation is ended.

You go Jon!

There is no possibility that Princess will expose themselves to legal jeopardy by releasing any information prior to an investigation whether it is good for their image or not. They may know exactly what happened aboard the ship but they cannot say a thing until Bermuda has completed their investigation now that one has been started. To do otherwise could expose them to charges of interfering with the investigation not to mention slander and libel charges for releasing unverified information.

When the investigation is complete, Bermuda will release a report. Princess will issue a response stating any issue with the findings and their improvement plans. That will be it. I expect this will take about 6-8 months. Until then, the lawyers and insurers will insist on complete silence.

A sanctioned government inquiry does not 'run on the side' versus a company's internal investigation, its the other way around, always....

There is no possibility that Princess will expose themselves to legal jeopardy by releasing any information prior to an investigation whether it is good for their image or not. They may know exactly what happened aboard the ship but they cannot say a thing until Bermuda has completed their investigation now that one has been started.

This is what is so surprising about the Princess statement acknowledging a breakdown in communication on the Star. That alone went further than what most have predicted would be admitted prior to the completion of the Bermuda investigation. Why would Princess attorneys have crafted a statement that acknowledged that the birders did what they said they did and that a broken Princess process resulted in the ship not acting? Why not just state that the birders reported the incident and any action or lack of action beyond that was being reviewed?

This is what is so surprising about the Princess statement acknowledging a breakdown in communication on the Star. That alone went further than what most have predicted would be admitted prior to the completion of the Bermuda investigation. Why would Princess attorneys have crafted a statement that acknowledged that the birders did what they said they did and that a broken Princess process resulted in the ship not acting? Why not just state that the birders reported the incident and any action or lack of action beyond that was being reviewed?

Someone making comments before getting proper vetting and authorization. Have you ever seen on the local evening news where a local reporter has convinced a person arrested to give a "jail house interview" and asked yourself, why is that person talking to the press before talking to an attorney?

There goes that "loose lips" saying again.

Someone making comments before getting proper vetting and authorization. Have you ever seen on the local evening news where a local reporter has convinced a person arrested to give a "jail house interview" and asked yourself, why is that person talking to the press before talking to an attorney?

There goes that "loose lips" saying again.

Do you really believe that Princess has so little control over its PR department? If that's true, that's another shock. I can't believe that it wasn't written, or at least edited by their in-house attorneys, which is why it's so curious to me. If it was made without legal consideration, then I think Princess has communication issues beyond what goes on on their ships.

Do you really believe that Princess has so little control over its PR department? If that's true, that's another shock. I can't believe that it wasn't written, or at least edited by their in-house attorneys, which is why it's so curious to me. If it was made without legal consideration, then I think Princess has communication issues beyond what goes on on their ships.

Another old saying, "hindsight is 20/20".

But that statement was released before Bermuda said that they would investigate.

We had friends on Oasis two weeks ago and they stopped for two hours to repair the engine of an old fishing boat. We have hear lot's of stories like this so I have to think that the sighting never did reach the bridge on the Star.

Bingo. At that point there was no formal investigation, so the decision was made to release the obvious but very limited facts to hand (note that specifics were NEVER given) and to make sure everyone knew the Captain did NOT know about the sighting. I am certain by that point Princess was fairly confident of where the breakdown occurred, so the liability was minimal compared to the PR gain.

But that statement was released before Bermuda said that they would investigate.

Bingo. At that point there was no formal investigation, so the decision was made to release the obvious but very limited facts to hand (note that specifics were NEVER given) and to make sure everyone knew the Captain did NOT know about the sighting. I am certain by that point Princess was fairly confident of where the breakdown occurred, so the liability was minimal compared to the PR gain.

I certainly agree with the bolded parts. I thought all along that, in view of the Captain Schettino brouhaha, Princess wanted to make very clear from the beginning that Captain Perrin was not aware of the fishing boat's plight and did nothing wrong. It would also make sense that Princess knew, at the time of the announcement, what the outcome of an investigation will be or would have been if one was conducted by a third party. In other words, don't ask the question unless you know and can live with the answer.

Still, given that the Bermuda investigation was announced AFTER the Princess announcement, it must be very obvious that the communication breakdown occurred within the ship's complement, AND that the fishing boat in question WAS the 50 cents. Otherwise, I still find it surprising that Princess would take ownership of the error as a means to clearing the captain's name.

Yes, seeing it from that angle it seems actually kinda honorable that Princess stepped in like that to protect the Captain's name. I just wished they would give us the full picture, and even more important the steps they are taking right now so this doesnt happen again.

We had friends on Oasis two weeks ago and they stopped for two hours to repair the engine of an old fishing boat. We have hear lot's of stories like this so I have to think that the sighting never did reach the bridge on the Star.

It may have, but the description the birders gave the crew ( as reported by Panama Guide's Winner) :rolleyes: bears no resemblance to the story they are telling now. Google Don Winner. Then decide if he is a reliable source..

They had no knowledge of the 3 missing fishermen while on the cruise. They did not report on the missing fishermen. They reported what they thought was a boat in distress. If none was seen by the bridge ( obviously the case), they had nothing to report or do.

When she got home, according to Winner's story, Princess answered her question about her complaint, but she was having none of it.

When she saw the story about the 3 lost fishermen weeks later, she jumped to a conclusion which is now being investigated.

I wish everyone would leave this alone now. We have no proof of what happened. I am beginning to think it is not real at all so must wait for an official judgement.

While I share your view, I sense it isn't going to happen. Everyone is an expert and no one knows anything more than what has been published...beit correct or otherwise.

Great post!

Archived