Star Princess investigation

ONT-CA

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2012/04/articles/crime/panama-opens-criminal-investigation-into-princess-cruises-captain-perrin-to-face-homicide-failure-to-rescue-inquiries/

Sort of knew this would go further in Panama:

", Panama has decided to proceed with a criminal investigation into the conduct of the Master of the Princess Cruises cruise ship Star Princess, for failing to assist three young Panamanian men who were adrift 100 miles out to sea aboard the Panamanian fishing boat Fifty Cents. "

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2012/04/articles/crime/panama-opens-criminal-investigation-into-princess-cruises-captain-perrin-to-face-homicide-failure-to-rescue-inquiries/

", Panama has decided to proceed with a criminal investigation into the conduct of the Master of the Princess Cruises cruise ship Star Princess, for failing to assist three young Panamanian men who were adrift 100 miles out to sea aboard the Panamanian fishing boat Fifty Cents. "

Interesting... especially the prediction of the author (who has been described elsewhere as a cruise ship ambulance chaser):

My prediction? Bermuda will do a favor for its cruise line customer, Princess Cruises, and exonerate Captain Perrin. Panama will issue an arrest warrant for the captain and a writ of attachment to seize the next Princess cruise ship sailing through the Panama Canal . . .

Interesting... especially the prediction of the author (who has been described elsewhere as a cruise ship ambulance chaser):

My prediction? Bermuda will do a favor for its cruise line customer, Princess Cruises, and exonerate Captain Perrin. Panama will issue an arrest warrant for the captain and a writ of attachment to seize the next Princess cruise ship sailing through the Panama Canal . . .

When individuals begin publishing articles about a situation in which they make statements of reported "facts" I first look at the credibility issue of the author. That being said, I'll wait and see if Panama does in fact begin an investigation. As for them issuing and executing a criminal warrant against the Captain, they would have to be able to prove that: the vessel "Fifty Cent" was in FACT the vessel seen; that the Captain was personally made aware of the "vessel in distress" and intentionally ignored the vessel.

Would they go to the extreme of seizing a vessel, I'm not sure on a criminal complaint they would have the right to seize "any" Princess Cruise Line vessel and it might be a long stretch to even seize the Star. But I am not an expert in Panamanian law so like with the Bermuda investigation, I'll sit back and see what happens.

Would they go to the extreme of seizing a vessel, I'm not sure on a criminal complaint they would have the right to seize "any" Princess Cruise Line vessel and it might be a long stretch to even seize the Star.

If US Marshals can temporairly seize a Carnival ship in Galveston as a result of a law suit filed by a German Concordia passenger, I would imagine that the government of Panama can do whatever it wants in this situation.

Would they go to the extreme of seizing a vessel, I'm not sure on a criminal complaint they would have the right to seize "any" Princess Cruise Line vessel and it might be a long stretch to even seize the Star.

If US Marshals can temporairly seize a Carnival ship in Galveston as a result of a law suit filed by a German Concordia passenger, I would imagine that the government of Panama can do whatever it wants in this situation.

The difference: Texas situation was a Civil suit, not criminal; the suit was filed in the United States, not a foreign country.

The difference: Texas situation was a Civil suit, not criminal; the suit was filed in the United States, not a foreign country.
It was also filed by a lawyer looking strictly for publicity and OKd by a judge who obviously didn't know the law or the difference between Carnival Corporation and Carnival Cruise Lines.

Actually the ruling held up under law, it was a bad application of it. I.E. the judgement was legally valid but was the equivalent of the death penalty for littering.

It was also filed by a lawyer looking strictly for publicity and OKd by a judge who obviously didn't know the law or the difference between Carnival Corporation and Carnival Cruise Lines.

I wonder if they (Panama) will ever "investigate" what actions they pursued to search for the missing fishing boat.

Seizing a vessel would probably not go over very well with the Panamanian people who depend on income from princess cruise excusions.

Seizing a vessel would probably not go over very well with the Panamanian people who depend on income from princess cruise excusions.

Not only the tourist spending, but Princess has to pay more than 250K in advance, for each ship using the canal.

The short version is that given that Carnival Corp was named in the suit AND the ship is financed in such a way that CCL has a legal interest, a judge was allowed to hold the asset against the suit.

That said, given all the issues about venue, ownership, etc there is no way that a judge should have issued that seizure order until they were resolved.

Think of it as a case where the defendant by all rights should have gotten bail but didn't.

Gotcha. The whole thing was weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep those interested up-to-date, there is now a lawsuit in Florida, filed on behalf of the sole survivor of 50 Cent against Princess, a unit of Carnival with respect to the allegations of 'sail by' despite the Star's crew being alerted to apparent distress signals from a small boat far from shore.

Thus, in addition to a formal maritime inquiry being conducted by Bermuda, the nation where Princess opts to flag its ships to avoid US/British manning, labour requirements and a criminal investigation launched in Panama, the nation of citizenship and residency of the two men who perished on board 50 Cents after its purported encounter with Star Princess, there is a civil action.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2012/05/articles/rescue-1/survivor-of-infamous-star-princess-sail-by-sues-princess-cruises/

This link has been removed from the Princess website and news archives.

I'm not surprised. Princess is circling their wagons. What DID surprise me was the wording and release of the news announcement in the first place. I thought it was awfully premature.

This will be interesting...

Thanks for the link to today's news release but it won't convince the conspiracy theorists. Captain Perrin would have never ignored anyone in peril on the sea.

I agree.

Also the ambulance chasers and cruise bashers won't go along with the second sentence. They will keep up their defamation in the media.They are not after not truth or justice.

Just saw the survivor interviewed on CNN.

He said the ship that ignored him was big and white and had the ship's name in red.

Kudos to the first person who can post a picture of the Star Princess showing the name in red and in a size large enough to be read by someone two miles away without binoculars.

Archived