Star Princess investigation

ONT-CA

The Star Princess location is easy. They run it on the navigation channel on TV every few moments.

I'm wondering how Judy knew the exact position, within 10 miles due southwest, where the boat was? Or where Star Princess was for that matter...?

:rolleyes:

'nuff said

Story on the Canadian National News at 11pm. (CTV)

Digital still of a boat in distress nowhere near land.

There was more than a failure on a small boat with some teenagers.

Love Princess and have another cruise booked, but this is not a proud day for CCL.

(Link does not include the passenger's pic... sorry)

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/World/20120419/panama-cruise-ship-120419/

and there was no one else around? Just wondering, but are there other ships in that area during those two weeks?

Not a sailor eh? Spotting a small boat out on all that water is difficult for Search and Rescue.... besides, we now know that the kids WERE spotted from the Star, no one is arguing this save a few here on this board. Princess is already looking into what went wrong and that is good.

The sad part of this story is passengers tried to alert the ship to an serious problem and they were ignored. A break down of communications and in this case, being as serious an issue as one gets at sea, a call of distress, ... I frankly have no words....

Hmm...I hadn't actually read that the survivor saw the name of the Star, only that he saw a big white boat. I have no doubt he could easily find out the name after the fact. Where was this reported? Did I miss that somewhere?

And the survivor knew the exact coordinates he was at when he spotted a big white boat?

I'm wondering how Judy knew the exact position, within 10 miles due southwest, where the boat was? Or where Star Princess was for that matter...?

:rolleyes:

The TV has a channel that shows the ship's position realtime. One of them went to their cabin to check the coordinates.

"My only theory is the people on the bridge have seen a lot of fishing boats," he said. "And they were on a tight schedule and they let the schedule cloud their judgment."

Read more: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/World/20120419/panama-cruise-ship-120419/#ixzz1sYR84h15

I completely refuse to believe that the Star Princess didn't render assistance because of their schedule...

Hi All,

OK the new Princess statement appears to accept the passengers saw something but message did not get to the bridge officer or captain,

as per my other post if folks were sure they had seen a boat in distress

and the fact that it was not just one person, why did they not get the ship to do a search, if after just ten minutes the had not slowed , turned or put out a message, or given a message to the folks that thought they saw something

why did the bird watchers not make other requests to the ship to do a search,

you see posts here from folks making repeated complaints about food or drinks,

but they see a boat in distress and they tell only one person once,

they could have phoned and informed the ship that way.

yours Shogun

Hi All,

OK the new Princess statement appears to accept the passengers saw something but message did not get to the bridge officer or captain,

as per my other post if folks were sure they had seen a boat in distress

and the fact that it was not just one person, why did they not get the ship to do a search, if after just ten minutes the had not slowed , turned or put out a message, or given a message to the folks that thought they saw something

why did the bird watchers not make other requests to the ship to do a search,

you see posts here from folks making repeated complaints about food or drinks,

but they see a boat in distress and they tell only one person once,

they could have phoned and informed the ship that way.

yours Shogun

Totally agree. Very sad set of circumstances.

When the bird watchers reported to the Captain CIrcle representative, who reported to the bridge, who sent two officers to investigate, the passengers believed the situation is under control and in safe hands. So much for future trust after all the issues Carnival Corporation has experienced this year. Although I liked the Captain he is also the one that left this very cruise early morning in San Francisco while the new Captain was more interested in getting pastries from the International Cafe rummaging behind the counter while many of us had hours of unsafe delay in getting off the ship. Seems to be a theme here "captain selection" and their priorities & responsiveness to the safety and well being of passengers and others". Who is responsible - the board of directors and it's chosen CEO. Time for a change, has a stock holder and customer, not an employee, I've let them know it. Has anyone else?

My first thought was that it was indeed a hoax. Sounds like the set-up for a perfect murder --the kid kills his two "friends," probably on day one, but has to avoid being found for long enough that it seems like they would have died of exposure/dehydration. Meanwhile, he has plenty of water and food, although maybe miscalculated and did run out because it took longer to be found than he thought once he was ready to be "rescued." He probably did see a cruise ship at some point and realized that blaming them for not stopping to pick him up could result in a nice hefty settlement for him. I smell a CSI episode. . . .

Hey, it makes as much sense as the knee-jerk blaming of a respected, experienced captain who is notable for having participated in other at-sea rescues, or blaming Mickey Arison (seriously?).

I thought of a very similar scenario. Works for me.

My first thought was that it was indeed a hoax. Sounds like the set-up for a perfect murder --the kid kills his two "friends," probably on day one, but has to avoid being found for long enough that it seems like they would have died of exposure/dehydration. Meanwhile, he has plenty of water and food, although maybe miscalculated and did run out because it took longer to be found than he thought once he was ready to be "rescued." He probably did see a cruise ship at some point and realized that blaming them for not stopping to pick him up could result in a nice hefty settlement for him. I smell a CSI episode. . . .

Hey, it makes as much sense as the knee-jerk blaming of a respected, experienced captain who is notable for having participated in other at-sea rescues, or blaming Mickey Arison (seriously?).

OK. Costa (owned by Carnival) has a moron Captain "Land Ho" a cruise ship sinking it and killing 30+ people.

They think their liability is limited to the Athens Convention and Protocols.

But you think some teenage kid from a foreign country is going to stage an incident that resulted in the death of two individuals so they can be at the location of a passing cruise ship 130 miles off shore in hopes of a "hefty settlement" when the ship doesn't stop and save them.

Really?:rolleyes: What was your second thought?

Funny how the cautions against rushing to judgment only seem to be pointed toward those looking to blame Princess and not those who think Princess couldn't possibly bear any blame. :rolleyes: One wonders if these same posters were just as "neutral" about blaming the Captain of the Costa ship after it sank. I certainly recall a rush to judgement there, and very few people cautioning that the whole story needed to be told and that the media occasionally get things wrong.

For those questioning the dehydration -- Do you think everyone dehydrates at exactly the same rate? Do you think it's remotely possibly that the passengers on the small craft just MIGHT have been different sizes and have different physical health? People react differently to stresses, disease etc. Two people with the same type of cancer, same stage, may have very different survival times. Your doctor doesn't tell you that you have 60 days, she tells you that you have 1-3 months.

It seems to me that something went amiss on Star Princess, and I certainly think the birdwatchers did what they should've done in alerting the ship. We've had eyewitnesses say that officers were informed. Someone dropped the ball.

interesting reading the conflict, with this carefully worded press release, and some reported eyewitness accounts of the sighting though reporting to those supposedly in authority.

and makes cruising that more scary, placing doubt in those we trust our lives with as we sail, based on the poor track record of cruises this year alone.

This is possibly not relevant, but I found myself wondering how many false (mistaken, really) reports the bridge gets on each cruise. With so many people on board, many of them not having any experience at all about the sea and the people who sail it, you would think there would be many panicked reports that are really nothing at all.

interesting reading the conflict, with this carefully worded press release, and some reported eyewitness accounts of the sighting though reporting to those supposedly in authority.

and makes cruising that more scary, placing doubt in those we trust our lives with as we sail, based on the poor track record of cruises this year alone.

I think the Concordia caused every cruise incident to start making front page news. Things have been going wrong on ships for years, they just aren't the magnitude of that disaster. It's causing us all to take a closer look at the information that has been out there for a while.

At least that's what I'm telling myself. I would hate to start feeling unsafe or scared on my new preferred mode of travel.

I want this one to turn out to be something VERY different than it appears.

"The preliminary results of our investigation have shown that there appeared to be a breakdown in communication in relaying the passenger's concern. Neither Captain Edward Perrin nor the officer of the watch were notified," it said.

"Understandably, Captain Perrin is devastated that he is being accused of knowingly turning his back on people in distress."

====

This statement acknowledges that passengers alerted a member of the crew, an officer according to their statements, who appears to have failed to pass this information to the bridge. This begs the obvious question: Will Princess continue the investigation in an attempt to identify the officer who received the alert and take appropriate action?

When the bird watchers reported to the Captain CIrcle representative, who reported to the bridge, who sent two officers to investigate, the passengers believed the situation is under control and in safe hands. So much for future trust after all the issues Carnival Corporation has experienced this year. Although I liked the Captain he is also the one that left this very cruise early morning in San Francisco while the new Captain was more interested in getting pastries from the International Cafe rummaging behind the counter while many of us had hours of unsafe delay in getting off the ship. Seems to be a theme here "captain selection" and their priorities & responsiveness to the safety and well being of passengers and others". Who is responsible - the board of directors and it's chosen CEO. Time for a change, has a stock holder and customer, not an employee, I've let them know it. Has anyone else?

The investigation is still ongoing so again could we kindly please stop with the rush to judgement? Captain Perrin is obviously devastated over this and I'm sure the accusations coming from so many that he intentionally left people to die is not helping one bit. Again, with all due respect, could we just wait before we decide to just go ahead and crucify him and the cruise line?

"The preliminary results of our investigation have shown that there appeared to be a breakdown in communication in relaying the passenger's concern. Neither Captain Edward Perrin nor the officer of the watch were notified," it said.

"Understandably, Captain Perrin is devastated that he is being accused of knowingly turning his back on people in distress."

====

This statement acknowledges that passengers alerted a member of the crew, an officer according to their statements, who appears to have failed to pass this information to the bridge. This begs the obvious question: Will Princess continue the investigation in an attempt to identify the officer who received the alert and take appropriate action?

I certainly hope they do and believe they will

...and the fact that it was not just one person, why did they not get the ship to do a search, if after just ten minutes the had not slowed , turned or put out a message, or given a message to the folks that thought they saw something

why did the bird watchers not make other requests to the ship to do a search

I am shocked that some feel this way. The only reason the birders even saw the boat was because of the intensity of their watching and the power of their binoculars. The kind of attention and ability to see that I would hope would be taking place on the bridge 24/7. After all, isn't there an officer of the watch for each 4 hour segment? But as it happened, passengers DID see the boat. After telling a crewmember/officer- the SAME people we're supposed to notify in a man overboard situation, they notified the PSD or CC host. At that point, with no change in the ship's direction, they probably tried to convince themselves that they had been mistaken about the distress on the boat, but just to be certain, they had the presence of mind to run to their cabin, get the coordinates, and fire off an email to the Coast Guard.

I simply can't believe that anyone would blame these people for this incident, even a little. They did exactly what we're told to do. There seems to be no doubt about that. I'm also certain that Captain Perrin would not risk his career and reputation and ignore this if he had been told. The breakdown occurred somewhere in between, in the whole range of people who will be keeping US safe in the event of an emergency. It does give one pause.

well, it looks like princess is assuming guilt.

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na1230

I am not a lawyer, but this does not look like an admission of guilt. It looks like a carefully worded statement, written by corporate lawyers. Nothing conclusive.

If the way a situation like this is handled improves, at the very least it may make it easier through-out the industry to render assistance.

The investigation is still ongoing so again could we kindly please stop with the rush to judgement? Captain Perrin is obviously devastated over this and I'm sure the accusations coming from so many that he intentionally left people to die is not helping one bit. Again, with all due respect, could we just wait before we decide to just go ahead and crucify him and the cruise line?

none of our discussions will have any bearings on the outcome of the investigations, so you can cease being concerned.

Archived