Star Princess investigation

ONT-CA

I, for one, am not seeing a lot of bashing of Princess on this thread. What I am seeing are folks saying over and over again that the bashing and rush to judgement has to stop. It's getting tiresome, especially since whatever bashing you're referring to isn't happening HERE. Perhaps it is happening on Facebook -- I wouldn't know, I don't read Facebook. But it would seem more logical to post your comments there rather than here.

Because I'm sure some people will disagree with the above, I just went through the entire thread and laboriously counted all the posts into various categories:

Those that are neutral or informational: 85

Those that are positive/supportive to Princess: 35

Those that are negative toward Princess or the captain: 18

(And of those 18, many were not strongly negative or callous. Several used terms like "sad" or "not a proud day").

Additionally -- and what I find most wearing:

Comments on negative comments (mostly elsewhere than CC): 67!! As I said above, why keep posting on THIS thread that folks are bashing Princess. They aren't doing it on this thread. Folks should be CONGRATULATING themselves that so FEW have given a negative report. :cool:

Also:

Theories advanced: 7

Calls for improvement: 5

Reports from those on that sailing: 4

Questions: 4

All very interesting to read.

Finally, and to me really disturbing, are all the posts from people who've either cast aspersions on or blamed either the folks who tried to report the boat or those on the boat: 30. That's a lot. Many more than have cast blame on Princess on this thread. I find it very disturbing indeed that anyone would suggest the sailors were out for profit or the person who tried to report this was a lefty do-gooder.

Thanks for the rational perspective, cruisemom. The level of defensiveness about Princess/Carnival is rather distressing, as is, conversely, the ad hominem attribution of blame to the Captain. While the Captain is ultimately responsible for what occurs on the ship, focusing on him obscures and avoids a bigger point. Cruise lines operate in a transnational environment in which the intersection of profit maximization and inadequate regulation can have bad results.

It seems immensely unlikely that the Captain or other officers would willfully avoid rescuing a sailor in dire need. There is abundant evidence of that in the many rescues provided by cruise ships every year.

It is equally unlikely - ludicrous in fact - that the surviving young man in the drifting boat was somehow intentionally creating/distorting the situation so that he could somehow sue Carnival/Princess. As is the suggestion that the drifting boat should have been fully equipped with flares, emergency beacons, and who knows what else. It is unfortunate when blame is so easily substituted for compassion.

Likewise, while emailing the USCG might not have been an optimum approach, it was done in desperation, after other attempts to call attention to the fisherman seemed to bear no fruit. To blame those who did their best to help and care is rather misguided, if not mean-spirited.

It would seem that there was some level of miscommunication among the crew, with tragic results. It is not especially surprising given often poorly and inadequately trained crew The incoherence of response often seen on cruise ships that results from everything from language problems to inexperienced and unqualified first level and middle management onboard, is neither a new nor particularly rare problem. But given the life and death implications of these problems in the shipboard environment, it seems important that more, not less, attention be drawn to the steps that could be taken to assure that the industry improves. Yes, some of the "dirty little secrets" of onboard crime, inadequate crew skills and training, and other issues have begun to see the light of day. But more must be done to address them. Not to do so will mean more avoidable problems in the future, and will impair the industry's ability to reassure potential cruisers that the product is safe (which it is).

seems folks have nothing better to do than princess bashing on this thread theres accidents happeing all over the world and all you seem to do is pick on a single instance of negitivity ,or is it just some americans bashing a honourable british captain ,seems c c is going down the drain no longer worth being on

Yet you find it necessary to bring Nationality into the mix? :confused:

Finally, and to me really disturbing, are all the posts from people who've either cast aspersions on or blamed either the folks who tried to report the boat or those on the boat: 30. That's a lot. Many more than have cast blame on Princess on this thread. I find it very disturbing indeed that anyone would suggest the sailors were out for profit or the person who tried to report this was a lefty do-gooder.

I completely agree. In fact, more than any other "incident" I can recall (and, as a long time CC member there have been plenty: Star fire, Crown tilt, cancelled cruises, Swine flu, noro outbreaks, earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, etc.) this one has me most upset at what the cheerleaders are posting.

Conspiracy theory? Are you serious? These poor guys did this on purpose? Questioning why they died at different rates? Are you doctors or scientists? And worst of all is finding fault with or (unconscionably) poking fun at the birders. These comments, as well as what those poor boys on the boat thought as the ship sailed by actually are making me feel physically ill. It's commendable and right to warn against a rush to judgement against the captain, but it is rare to see those same people warning against blaming the victims (and I consider the birders to be victims too. This incident will be life changing for them and I don't doubt they'll never get over it). Time for me to move on for awhile, I think...

I have to question the actions of the birdwatchers. I know that they meant well but some of their actions expose their lack of knowledge which could have contributed to their ineffectiveness.

Like many passengers who have not served/worked on a cruise ship, they did not make the distinction between the Capt. Circle Rep. who is more a part of the "hotel" aspect of the cruise ship and not a part of the "ship's crew" who tend to the deck and engineering functions. Also, who exactly from the ship's "crew" came out on deck to observe? Was it a watch officer or part of the hotel staff? Do they know the difference? All people in uniform are not equal.

Also, what makes them think the U.S. Coast Guard were the right people to contact for a distressed vessel off South America? The U.S. Coast Guard doesn't normally have any presence in that part of the world unless it happens to be an icebreaker on its way to the Antartic. The correct move would have been to contact the Coast Guard of the nearest country. Often times the "contact us" email goes to the Public Information office.

While I'm sure they are very sincere, I don't think we should be taking them at 100% face value when they speak.

that's the problem with reporting something and thinking you are doing some good. some people don't report from fear of being made to feel or look stupid.

if you see something say something.

and let the experts figure out if it's something they need to address.

one doesn't need to be an expert to report something.

imagine seeing smoke, and reporting it, and finding out it was simply steam, and being made to look the fool.......

by other fools.

Well, this is a bit off-topic, and I do not wish to distract from the main point of this thread, but the registries do vary a bit:

Sun Princess, Sea Princess, Dawn Princess; are registered in Great Britain

Pacific Princess, Ocean Princess; Registered in Gibralter

Ruby Princess; Registered in the Bahamas

The rest of the ships are registered in Bermuda.

that's the problem with reporting something and thinking you are doing some good. some people don't report from fear of being made to feel or look stupid.

if you see something say something.

and let the experts figure out if it's something they need to address.

one doesn't need to be an expert to report something.

imagine seeing smoke, and reporting it, and finding out it was simply steam, and being made to look the fool.......

by other fools.

As a sailor, this is excellent advise. It is the way any master of competence runs a ship.

If our ships dog is behaving oddly, eveyone aboard loosk around to see if somethings wrong.

People are becoming less aware that the "rules" are a bit different at sea than those at the mall.:p

I feel terrible for the victims and the skipper who, it seems, was never told of the tiny boat adrift signaling distress.

2cpt0uv.jpg

For the record and any talley being taken, I still believe what I posted at the beginning of this thread: there was a breakdown in communication between whoever the birders talked to and the Bridge. It could have been that the message given the Bridge was garbled or incomplete. Several people have posted on my roll call saying that there were a number of fishing boats sighted that day. It's entirely possible that the fishing boats were closer to the ship, the one the birders saw much further away by itself. By the time the message made it to the Bridge, the boat in distress could have been over the horizon (the ship would have been moving while all this was taking place) and not visible with binoculars or RADAR.

We don't know how many "reports" the Bridge receives a day and has to make a decision on. Hindsight is perfect and even looking at the video or photos, without knowing anything else, how clear are they that a boat is in distress and needs rescuing?

I think a terrible, terrible mistake has been made. Knowing what we do now, it's obviously a mistake. But we still don't know the circumstances that led to an error in communication or judgment. I'll wait for the investigation to be completed.

For the record and any talley being taken, I still believe what I posted at the beginning of this thread: there was a breakdown in communication between whoever the birders talked to and the Bridge. It could have been that the message given the Bridge was garbled or incomplete. Several people have posted on my roll call saying that there were a number of fishing boats sighted that day. It's entirely possible that the fishing boats were closer to the ship, the one the birders saw much further away by itself. By the time the message made it to the Bridge, the boat in distress could have been over the horizon (the ship would have been moving while all this was taking place) and not visible with binoculars or RADAR.

We don't know how many "reports" the Bridge receives a day and has to make a decision on. Hindsight is perfect and even looking at the video or photos, without knowing anything else, how clear are they that a boat is in distress and needs rescuing?

I think a terrible, terrible mistake has been made. Knowing what we do now, it's obviously a mistake. But we still don't know the circumstances that led to an error in communication or judgment. I'll wait for the investigation to be completed.

i don't exactly expect anyone on the bridge to be standing up and saying "we knew it", until someone investigating this follows the trail.

or there will be a fall guy, either public or private.

or there will be an incompetent person found, who just didn't take this seriously. and will rightfully pay the consequence.

and they may have already found where blame it to be placed, but do not have a cruise critic sign on and password.

What an awful, sad story. We spent 36 days on Star Princess a year-and-a-half ago with Ed Perrin at the helm, TA and then Antarctica.

While it's understandable that many here post messages in defense of the captain and feel for him (after all we're on a cruise board), my gut turns imagining what these poor dying Panamanian men must have felt seeing this huge white ship appear, and then watching it disappear for a long time. I doubt that they had ever been on a cruise ship, but knowing the incredible luxury we enjoy on these ships and then imagining them being left to die is just too much.

I also really feel for the birdwatchers - they clearly showed compassion and got active, and it's unfortunate that they are now left with the feeling that yes, they could maybe have done more had they known the right "protocol" on the ship for the rest of their lives. Any messages attacking them (or even mocking them)...or the Panamanians here are really hard to stomach.

With that said, some of my thoughts and observations:

- I loved Perrin as a captain. For his awesome announcements, for his friendly and informative talks. I also don't think he'd let someone out there to die had he known about it (however! you never really know. A few months ago none of us would have believed a cruise ship captain would take his ship close to shore to show off. Or abandon ship like a coward. Princess: what exactly is the protocol when a passenger contacts a crew member about a boat he thinks is in distress? How often does this happen?)

- nonetheless I also observed a darker side - lip service and him not being completely in control of things going on around the ship. The Antarctic cruise was quite special, lots of "environmental" precautions were taken (no food or smoking on open decks, for example). They were announced with lots of fanfare. It really seemed like lip service, because not a word was wasted on all the dirty fuel we were burning down there, and one night steaming through Antarctica this point was really driven home to me when another engine was turned on and we blasted out huge wads of thick black smoke into the pristine environment.

- him not being completely in control: I personally observed three times that crew was blatantly disobeying the environmental orders he had given himself/announced and talked about (smoking on deck by a bartender, a used cup that was in the same very visible place on an open deck in Antarctica...and I rediscovered it just as we arrived in Ushuaia...having crossed Drake Passage, but most disturbingly an alcohol-selling-cart right outside on deck complete with plastic cups and all). Yes, these are minor things compared to the story at hand, and I basically just came away happy that big ships (supposedly) will be banned down there. But they did point to something being wrong with the chain of command on the ship (because, you now, if the captain announces: no food and drinks outside for these 4 days...and then his own crew pushes carts around selling booze...something is wrong).

Since we will probably never know for sure exactly where the communication problem happened in this case, all we can really do is speculate. I don't understand people urging to wait for "proper investigations and findings". Who is going to do this "proper investigation"? The Bermudas??? It'll be Princess doing their own investigation, and all we'll get to hear is what makes them appear in the best of lights. Unless we keep asking. By now they for sure know exactly who was notified on the ship and where the message got lost (if it did)...but instead of telling us a detailed timeline of events and positions of the people that were involved, they put out this carefully worded statement.

Yes, it's sad, but in the end, we - the customers of cruise lines - are the "judge and jury"...because these lines ultimately only bow to our demands.

All being said, this was a failure by a Princess cruise ship to rescue three poor souls floating at sea - it doesnt really matter if ultimately a cruise consultant, third officer or captain takes the personal blame - the systems on the ship obviously didnt work. I really hope Princess does the right thing and comes out clean, makes sure the Panamanian survivor never has to work another day in his life, the birdwatchers are getting some special treatment as the caring compassionate people they showed to be, and all routines on the ships are checked and double checked so this never happens again.

Excellent post -- I agree with every word.

Although I agree none of us knows what happened and won't until an investigation is completed, any investigation by Princess is suspect. I don't expect it to conclude that senior officers violated maritime law and, therefore, the company is liable--I have no doubt the final report will exonerate the senior officers, but for me that won't mean anything, it needs an independent investigation and Carnival is not about to allow that.

I am disturbed by the number of posters calling for all those who are critical of Princess to wait for the end of the investigation, but assuring us that the captain did the right thing. No one knows that yet. Haven't people learned from the Concordia disaster that being the captain of a cruise ship does not mean that you are beyond reproach. Your post provides more information about the cruise line issuing assurances that are just cover-ups of mistakes and even illegal activities.

There is a lot of cheerleading on all the boards but this thread wins the prize for posters going to unbelievable lengths to defend their favorite cruise line--blaming the passengers who tried to help the floundering fishing boat, blaming the teenagers who died and and the survivor who went through a horrific experience, blaming other posters for daring to question Princess or its employees.

My first reaction was that there was probably a breakdown--the captain did not get the message. Now I'm not so sure; maybe the captain did get the message, had a cursory binocular search of the surrounding area (with binoculars less powerful than those used by the passengers, although he may not have known it), and then just ordered the ship to sail on. Maybe he never tried to get more specific information about the sighting--either through a genuine and reasonable misunderstanding or an arrogant dismissal of bothersome passengers who apparently were concerned about a bunch of fishing boats the ship had passed a while ago. Who knows? But if Princess were serious about investigating this--a serious incident that resulted in deaths due to negligence--they would put the captain on administrative leave while this is investigated. That is standard procedure in real investigations. That Princess is not doing that is additional evidence that the conclusions have already been written.

In any event, I hope we do learn the truth about this so we can make reasonable and informed judgements.

seems folks have nothing better to do than princess bashing on this thread theres accidents happeing all over the world and all you seem to do is pick on a single instance of negitivity ,or is it just some americans bashing a honourable british captain ,seems c c is going down the drain no longer worth being on

Well...Bye...

Actually, there are significant legal amd financial repercussions if Princess doesn't actually do a full internal investigation. Princess is a subsidiary of a publicly held company (CCL). If they do not release information that could have a material impact on the stock (and this most definitely could!) they could be subject to extreme sanctions. Now, they don't need to make a big deal of the results, nor do they need to be timely, but they do need to release them and they need to be honest. The only thing worse than not releasing them would be releasing a false or misleading report, as that could lead to shareholder suits.

ETA: Since there is an inquiry in process, CCL may be limited in what they can release publicly. Same if a lawsuit is filed (waiting for those any day).

Excellent post -- I agree with every word.

Although I agree none of us knows what happened and won't until an investigation is completed, any investigation by Princess is suspect. I don't expect it to conclude that senior officers violated maritime law and, therefore, the company is liable--I have no doubt the final report will exonerate the senior officers, but for me that won't mean anything, it needs an independent investigation and Carnival is not about to allow that.

I am disturbed by the number of posters calling for all those who are critical of Princess to wait for the end of the investigation, but assuring us that the captain did the right thing. No one knows that yet. Haven't people learned from the Concordia disaster that being the captain of a cruise ship does not mean that you are beyond reproach. Your post provides more information about the cruise line issuing assurances that are just cover-ups of mistakes and even illegal activities.

There is a lot of cheerleading on all the boards but this thread wins the prize for posters going to unbelievable lengths to defend their favorite cruise line--blaming the passengers who tried to help the floundering fishing boat, blaming the teenagers who died and and the survivor who went through a horrific experience, blaming other posters for daring to question Princess or its employees.

My first reaction was that there was probably a breakdown--the captain did not get the message. Now I'm not so sure; maybe the captain did get the message, had a cursory binocular search of the surrounding area (with binoculars less powerful than those used by the passengers, although he may not have known it), and then just ordered the ship to sail on. Maybe he never tried to get more specific information about the sighting--either through a genuine and reasonable misunderstanding or an arrogant dismissal of bothersome passengers who apparently were concerned about a bunch of fishing boats the ship had passed a while ago. Who knows? But if Princess were serious about investigating this--a serious incident that resulted in deaths due to negligence--they would put the captain on administrative leave while this is investigated. That is standard procedure in real investigations. That Princess is not doing that is additional evidence that the conclusions have already been written.

In any event, I hope we do learn the truth about this so we can make reasonable and informed judgements.

But these boards being what they are, it seems overly optimistic to believe that posters will wait until then to make those judgements. Apparently. and sadly, it is much easier to jump to a conclusion that favors one side or the other, than to wait for conclusive evidence that shows what actually happened. Certainly an objective investigation by an independent body would be the preferred way of handling this matter.

At this point the only thing we seem to know with any certainty is that a tragic event occurred at sea. Perhaps we should leave it at that until we have better information.

Can anyone tell me why the Panamanian Coast Guard didn't put forth a greater effort to find the lost boaters? Did they follow the currents and wind directions in computing the search area? How long was their search after the boy's mother reported them missing?

A tragedy has occured through a series of events. It began when three young men put out to sea in an ill equipped boat for a day of fishing. Their motor quit and they had no communication ability to aid in their rescue.

The tragedy continues when the mother of one of the young men reports them missing and the Panama Coast Guard stages a search mission. How well and how long was their search? Was it by air as well as sea? How long did they search? They end their search and the tragedy continues.

Birders on a cruise ship see with high powered binoculars what appears to be a boat in distress. They bring it to the attention of an employee in a white shirt and thinking this was an officer, wait to see the ship change course. It didn't. They pursue it to the Princess Circle desk and still no change in course. They try to contact the US Coast Guard online but no results. They give up and the tragedy continues.

The messages the birders tried to get to the bridge did not appear to get there. The ship and crew commanded by Capt. Perrin are now being held responsible for the death of 2 young men by the court of public opinion. The tragedy continues.

So many people have been affected by this tragedy. The young man that survived and his family, the families of the lost young men, the Panama Coast Guard that hunted for them at sea, the birders, the ships crew and Captain of the Star as well as all of us posting our thoughts and fears here today.

All these circumstances led to the death of two young men. Searching to blame one person for the deaths will serve no purpose. Learning from all the mistakes made in this tragedy perhaps will help to prevent it from ever happening again.

Can anyone tell me why the Panamanian Coast Guard didn't put forth a greater effort to find the lost boaters? Did they follow the currents and wind directions in computing the search area? How long was their search after the boy's mother reported them missing?

A tragedy has occured through a series of events. It began when three young men put out to sea in an ill equipped boat for a day of fishing. Their motor quit and they had no communication ability to aid in their rescue.

The tragedy continues when the mother of one of the young men reports them missing and the Panama Coast Guard stages a search mission. How well and how long was their search? Was it by air as well as sea? How long did they search? They end their search and the tragedy continues.

Birders on a cruise ship see with high powered binoculars what appears to be a boat in distress. They bring it to the attention of an employee in a white shirt and thinking this was an officer, wait to see the ship change course. It didn't. They pursue it to the Princess Circle desk and still no change in course. They try to contact the US Coast Guard online but no results. They give up and the tragedy continues.

The messages the birders tried to get to the bridge did not appear to get there. The ship and crew commanded by Capt. Perrin are now being held responsible for the death of 2 young men by the court of public opinion. The tragedy continues.

So many people have been affected by this tragedy. The young man that survived and his family, the families of the lost young men, the Panama Coast Guard that hunted for them at sea, the birders, the ships crew and Captain of the Star as well as all of us posting our thoughts and fears here today.

All these circumstances led to the death of two young men. Searching to blame one person for the deaths will serve no purpose. Learning from all the mistakes made in this tragedy perhaps will help to prevent it from ever happening again.

Right on! Excellent post! Many with some blame, it appears.

I am very inclined to agree with Pam's assessment above, this seems to boil down a breakdown in communications. Radar often misses small fiberglass boats or at best they show up very faintly on the screen but radar itself is not going to show anyone in distress. The grainy photograph that I have seen does not indicate any distress. Should have a bridge-watch-keeper picked them up with bincoculars...well maybe and just maybe they did but it sounds as though the boat was far enough away from the Star that it was not of any interest to the ship and therefore given little attention. The birders evidently did see something and reported it; now when nothing was done....should they have been more assertive, maybe? But from what we know it does there does appear to have been a breakdown in communication and pointing the finger at a captain of Perrin's credentials is to me quite unjustified.

Like Pam I will wait for the investigation to be completed.

Excellent post.

Open eyes and the light of day is what is needed to assure both the public and to make sure these floating cash machines do the right and safe thing all the time.

Let us all keep the light on this until reasonable third parties have reached a conclusion, and with luck the Comadore of the fleet has some retailing/refreasher class' for the bridge crew.

Correction:

Open eyes and the light of day is what is needed to assure both the public and to make sure these floating cash machines do the right and safe thing all the time.

Let us all keep the light on this until reasonable third parties have reached a conclusion, and with luck the Comadore of the Princess fleet has some retraining/refreasher class' for the bridge crew ASAP.

Let us all keep the light on this until reasonable "third parties" have reached a conclusion, and with luck the Comadore of the fleet has some retraining/refreasher class' for the bridge crew, ASAP.!!!

Let us all keep the light on this until reasonable "third parties" have reached a conclusion, and with luck the Comadore of the fleet has some retraining/refreasher class' for the bridge crew, ASAP.!!!

Let us all keep the light on this until reasonable third parties have reached a conclusion, and with luck the Comadore of the fleet has some retailing/refreasher class' for the bridge crew.

Correction:

Let us all keep the light on this until reasonable third parties have reached a conclusion, and with luck the Comadore of the Princess fleet has some retraining/refreasher class' for the bridge crew ASAP.

Your getting a few miles out of that statement. How do you know the Bridge crew did something wrong or needs a refresher course?

Hi All

I think we can take it from rtlk postings, that he has not spent time on the bridge of a cruise ship, does not know the commodore ever met Captain Ed Perrin, or even chatted to the look outs that man the bridge,

well some of us here have ,

the captain and bridge watch officer has said they got no message,

no reason to question this,

yours shogun

Archived