Repeat Wardrobe?

MeAgain2222

After reading "mistakes you made on your first cruise", a common thread seems to be taking too many clothes. If a cruise has 2 formal nights, can you get away with wearing the same formal outfit twice - for women as well as men? (seriously, who notices what the guy wears, lol!) With a family of 4, 2 formal dresses and 2 suits would be so much easier to pack than four of each)

After reading "mistakes you made on your first cruise", a common thread seems to be taking too many clothes. If a cruise has 2 formal nights, can you get away with wearing the same formal outfit twice - for women as well as men? (seriously, who notices what the guy wears, lol!) With a family of 4, 2 formal dresses and 2 suits would be so much easier to pack than four of each)

Of course you can.

According to the International Rules of Cruising, see the following:

Men: one suit, one tie, one shirt. Any shoes are appropriate.

Women: Must have different attire for each evening, to include dress (must be completely different color), shoes, and jewelry.

Women: Must have different attire for each evening, to include dress (must be completely different color), shoes, and jewelry.

Do not agree with your internation Rules of Cruising.

I'm a woman who only brings an 18" carryon for all cruises and has no problem wearing the same thing for formal evenings. In fact every item I pack must be able to be dressed up/down as needed. Also bring only one other pair of shoes other than what is worn on the day of embarkation.

Nobody ever notices what you are wearing. I have never been able to figure out why women have to wear a completely different outfit every night and a guy can get by with one suit.

It is either related to a different genetic makeup or women have just allowed themselves to be brainwashed.

On the same topic, an interesting Ph.D. research project would be to try to figure out what the shoe gene on the female genome is.

DON

I'm a woman who only brings an 18" carryon for all cruises and has no problem wearing the same thing for formal evenings. In fact every item I pack must be able to be dressed up/down as needed. Also bring only one other pair of shoes other than what is worn on the day of embarkation.

:eek: The only luggage you have is an 18inch carry on? :eek:

How can that be possible. My 22 inch carry-on has our shoes, toiletries, jewelry, paperwork, camera, curling iron, cell phone..

Then we each have a a piece of luggage for our clothes.

Is yours a one day cruise? :eek: (just curious how you could possibly do this). :p

I do the same thing for the "dress down" nights as well. We always get a little dressed up (slacks or dressy long flowing shorts and dressy top) for evenings to eat out, go to the shows or whatever we plan on doing that night. I apply these rules to those settings too. I have a nice pair of black dress pants and I'll change the dressy top on different nights. I also have a few black flowing shorts (can't think of their name at the moment-like gouchos???) that I will mix up the tops with too. It's a different look every night. :D It sure makes packing easier and lighter.

I believe that is from the 1956 edition. Check the 2007 edition for the most recent changes.:rolleyes::D

An 18" carry-on? For everything? :eek: Your clothes must be made out of paper! For most of the women in my family, an 18" case would be just for their cosmetics.:rolleyes:

My TA taught me to pack black slacks (2 or 3 pair) and change the tops. If you put on a sparkley top, you're good to go for formal nights. It's amazing how many outfits you can come up with. Recently I've added a long black skirt (elastic waist so it will fit after eating non-stop for days). I agree that overpacking isn't a good thing.

My TA taught me to pack black slacks (2 or 3 pair) and change the tops. If you put on a sparkley top, you're good to go for formal nights. It's amazing how many outfits you can come up with. Recently I've added a long black skirt (elastic waist so it will fit after eating non-stop for days). I agree that overpacking isn't a good thing.

Do this every cruise. I also wear a pair of black ballet-type walking shoes for day and evening wear. I also pack a pair of sandals.

One cruise I wore the same skirt all seven nights.

Mom once brought only one pair of shoes, a pair of all black Columbia sandals. For formal night, with her nice pants, she wore the sandals with black socks. At a glance it looked like she was wearing closed toe shoes. It's wonderful what women 'of a certain age' can get by with.

Mom has packed for cruises in a LL Bean rolling bookbag.:p

These have been 4 day cruises but she still had clothes she didn't wear.

Pretty certain Johneeo had tongue firmly planted in cheeck. ;)

An 18" carry-on? For everything? :eek: Your clothes must be made out of paper! For most of the women in my family, an 18" case would be just for their cosmetics.:rolleyes:

Yes everything ! It's all in how you pack and making certain everything does double or triple duty.

Yes everything ! It's all in how you pack and making certain everything does double or triple duty.

Do you offer classes?? I've got it to where I can get by with a 24" bag plus my carry-on (which is full of books, meds, etc). And I repeat clothes.

I'd love to get by with less :)

You can definitely wear things more than once, especially if you plan smart. For instance, I have a pair of very dressy looking black pants. I can pair it with sparkly tops for formal nights, more casual tops for other nights. Add a black skirt, change up some jewelry, different look. Those two items (skirt, pants) will get you through several nights. Travel type knits really work well too as they don't wrinkle and pack small. Mix and match separates help too.

Although I normally take a 26" suitcase on our longer cruises, (and often my DH and I share a small suitcase for shoes and misc. things like snorkle equipment) I found out I can pack in a 20" carry-on last year when we took 7 grandkids on a cruise. On our normal airline, we don't have to pay baggage fees; but the only flights we could find at any reasonable price for 9 was with a different airline. For the two of us, we'd just pay the fee. For 9 people, nope, everyone packed in a carry-on size and we each had one small tote/bag to go under the seat.

All the kids, ages 5-11, had to be able to handle their own luggage.

We had two days of traveling, 2 days in Ft. Lauderdale and 5 days on the ship. We did no laundry. I was able to get in enough clothes and even one formal dress. I cut everything to the bone; toiletries, cosmetics, jewelry and, especially, shoes. I managed with my walking shoes (sneakers), which I wore on the plane, one pair of sandals and one pair of black heels.

It can be done! 18" though"? That would be tough. I'd need a bigger tote!

Every time I pack (and subsequently UNpack when I get home) I get better and better at this affair! But I must admit planning what I'll wear on vacation is so much fun for me! I'm always saying to myself (or out loud) oh this will be great for my cruise....ooooh I love this I'm saving it for the cruise...

I can't help it.

But I usually wear a lot of the same things no matter what I tediously plan, pair, iron, roll and pack. I do such a good job until I panic the night before and frantically stuff a bunch of "what if extras" in Ed's suitcase. Cause mine is full.

Cindy

Archived