LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from the Zuiderdam to Alaska (version 2013)

LAFFNVEGAS

Lisa, I'm wondering if you asked when you were seated to have the wine steward sent over. After our first night on the Noordam where he didn't show up until after we had ordered, we made a point of asking the person who showed us to our table to send him over and that seemed to help make him appear faster.

I know I'm not Lisa but I've asked multiple times to send them over. I've also mentioned it on my survey at the end of the cruise. The service is lacking.

That is true about Princess - however, we have had two different experiences with this. When we had fixed dining, the waiters took the drink orders for the entire section, so if people were late, you waited for your wine, etc. in our case up to 45 minutes. Not acceptable IMO. More recently, we had anytime dining, and the wine order was taken immediately and served very quickly. I guess it all depends on the experience of your servers.

This is why I don't do traditional anymore. I get tired of people thinking the time is just a suggestion. I had open on my last cruise with Princess (April 2013).

I know I'm not Lisa but I've asked multiple times to send them over. I've also mentioned it on my survey at the end of the cruise. The service is lacking.

How frustrating! :(

Hi Lisa,

Am enjoying your "live" report and hope you are enjoying "our" room! Miss seeing all of the CCers from last year that I met.

Hoping our weather in Vancouver holds for your arrival everyone! It's been beautiful.

Thursday May 9, 2013

Good Evening from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam.

I would say it was another good day at sea :)

The morning started out much like yesterday where I awoke around 8 got up and decided to grab a lite bite n the Lido, then went to the Thermal Suite for a while. Today I just wanted to relax on the heated Thermal Loungers and read. Unplanned but good timing Marcia aka dobiemom got there as well. I stayed till about 10 so I could go back to the cabin to get showered and dressed a bit nicer for the Mariner Pre cocktail party, then Mariner lunch The one thing I really want to know but have not gotten an answer was was this for just those on the 4 day or was this for those that were on the 22 day that started on Vancouver. For the 4 and 5 Star pre cocktail there was just 12 people total. Two couples were were awarded medallions One couple was awarded their Copper 10 day but no word how many days, then another couple were awarded the copper, then there was discussion with the CD and Captain and they then award that same couple a 300 Silver medallion. Really not sure what that was all about.

Lunch was the usual and in all honesty I keep saying this but I think we may skip lunch next week. The lunch just is not that impressive. Although we did enjoy talking with our tablemates of which Melodie and Ron were part of.

We had decided tonight we would go to the Pinnacle along with Saturday night and next Friday night.We went early tonight figured we would make it to the Crows Nest Cocktail Party Then go the James Cielens Show. In the Pinnacle we had not been there long when one of our fellow CCers ad wife walked in. They actually also live i n Vegas so they joined us for dinner. It was very nice with great conversation and they are going to join us again on Saturday. Tom had the big Porterhouse tonight, I had the Spicy Chicken Thai Soup and Caesars Salad with the Land and Sea. Now interesting about the Soup. I have probably only had it 4 or 5 times but each and every time it has been totally different. IT was quite good, not at all spicy. But I am not sure if I could even tell anyone for sure what it is really suppose to taste like. Everything I had tonight was excellent except I do think I am giving up on the Chocolate Volcano cake. It was basically very cold chocolate pudding tonight. But not worth saying anything since we wanted to get going. We did not make it to the cocktail party. But walked into the show room about 3 minutes to 8 and did find a seat toward the back.

James Cielen is an excellent Magician and having his dogs in the show makes for an entertaining show.

Tomorrow they do expect for us to be at the dock close to 1:15pm Marcia and I are going to Butchard Gardens and the Butterfly Farm. Tom plans to just relax and read on the ship.

It has felt like an end of a cruise today and of course it is for many, there will be a disembarkation talk tomorrow but I will be doing the Happy dance that we will still have another week on board.

Well think I will stop writing for now, everyone says the weather is to be beautiful in Victoria but oddly on the Explorer it stated Partly cloudy 55F/13C that seems pretty darn cool but then the Explorer said today was going to be 55F/13C.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam.

Lisa..I finally sat down & read your Alaska posts..It makes me want to go back to Alaska again.. Unfortunately DH hates to fly & it's like pulling teeth to get him to go to another port outside of Ft. Lauderdale..Hopefully I'll get him to fly to Boston next year to take the Voyage of the Vikings..

Sorry to hear about your wine Steward problems.. On our Prinsendam cruise our wine Steward was at our table within minutes, as right at the beginning, I asked our waiter to send him over to see us..We were able to purchase a few packages & then on the last days only ordered a few glasses of wine..DH & I each drink different wines, so a bottle lasts us either two or three days..DH tends to drink faster than me..LOL

Enjoy the rest of your cruise..

Lisa, I'm wondering if you asked when you were seated to have the wine steward sent over. After our first night on the Noordam where he didn't show up until after we had ordered, we made a point of asking the person who showed us to our table to send him over and that seemed to help make him appear faster.

I agree with you, that's what we did!

Cheers...Betty

This is definitely the right day to be in Victoria. The sun is shining, the mountains are out, and so are the rhododendrons and azaleas. Flower City! The temp. should go up to 19 they say (68?). You will just need a light jacket. Ann

Thanks, Lisa for this fabulous thread! Love reading about your adventures and your take on things!!

Spicy Thai Chicken Soup. I gave up a year ago on this one. Used to be wonderful; then went to just fine. Then, no chicken at all! Then chicken but not spicy..... I give up.

Keep enjoying your cruise!

Thursday May 9, 2013

The one thing I really want to know but have not gotten an answer was was this for just those on the 4 day or was this for those that were on the 22 day that started on Vancouver. For the 4 and 5 Star pre cocktail there was just 12 people total.

:D We had the pre cocktail party on the 18 day cruise, my DH was awarded his 100 day medallion, as I received mine last year. We had it in the Queen's Lounge and there were over 30 medals handed out. I don't know about one for just the 4 and 5 stars, as our party had alot of them there also. We earned our 4th star on the cruise, so will benefit from it in August on our Alaska trip.

Wednesday May 8, 2013

Interesting is that last year on that night the menu was really nothing special while tonight there is escargot and Filet Mignon and Lobster which is your typical last night Formal menu. What I am curious about did they not have this for those that disembarked in San Diego??

:D Yes, we had these options for a Formal Night dinner, DH had 2!!

Lisa - sorry about your wine problems. Got me thinking to our cruise last fall on the Zuiderdam. Neither of us drink wine but yet the Wine Stewardess came to our table each and every night - just to say hello!!! Less talk - more service might be in order.

Thursday May 9, 2013

Good Evening from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam.

I would say it was another good day at sea :)

The morning started out much like yesterday where I awoke around 8 got up and decided to grab a lite bite n the Lido, then went to the Thermal Suite for a while. Today I just wanted to relax on the heated Thermal Loungers and read. Unplanned but good timing Marcia aka dobiemom got there as well. I stayed till about 10 so I could go back to the cabin to get showered and dressed a bit nicer for the Mariner Pre cocktail party, then Mariner lunch The one thing I really want to know but have not gotten an answer was was this for just those on the 4 day or was this for those that were on the 22 day that started on Vancouver. For the 4 and 5 Star pre cocktail there was just 12 people total. Two couples were were awarded medallions One couple was awarded their Copper 10 day but no word how many days, then another couple were awarded the copper, then there was discussion with the CD and Captain and they then award that same couple a 300 Silver medallion. Really not sure what that was all about.

Lunch was the usual and in all honesty I keep saying this but I think we may skip lunch next week. The lunch just is not that impressive. Although we did enjoy talking with our tablemates of which Melodie and Ron were part of.

We had decided tonight we would go to the Pinnacle along with Saturday night and next Friday night.We went early tonight figured we would make it to the Crows Nest Cocktail Party Then go the James Cielens Show. In the Pinnacle we had not been there long when one of our fellow CCers ad wife walked in. They actually also live i n Vegas so they joined us for dinner. It was very nice with great conversation and they are going to join us again on Saturday. Tom had the big Porterhouse tonight, I had the Spicy Chicken Thai Soup and Caesars Salad with the Land and Sea. Now interesting about the Soup. I have probably only had it 4 or 5 times but each and every time it has been totally different. IT was quite good, not at all spicy. But I am not sure if I could even tell anyone for sure what it is really suppose to taste like. Everything I had tonight was excellent except I do think I am giving up on the Chocolate Volcano cake. It was basically very cold chocolate pudding tonight. But not worth saying anything since we wanted to get going. We did not make it to the cocktail party. But walked into the show room about 3 minutes to 8 and did find a seat toward the back.

James Cielen is an excellent Magician and having his dogs in the show makes for an entertaining show.

Tomorrow they do expect for us to be at the dock close to 1:15pm Marcia and I are going to Butchard Gardens and the Butterfly Farm. Tom plans to just relax and read on the ship.

It has felt like an end of a cruise today and of course it is for many, there will be a disembarkation talk tomorrow but I will be doing the Happy dance that we will still have another week on board.

Well think I will stop writing for now, everyone says the weather is to be beautiful in Victoria but oddly on the Explorer it stated Partly cloudy 55F/13C that seems pretty darn cool but then the Explorer said today was going to be 55F/13C.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam.

I have not "done' the Butterfly Farm but Buchardt Gardens is my favorite thing in Victoria.

Loving the reports so far. I am living vicariously through you as we were going to be on this cruise but had to change our plans last minute. I will be doing a review of our NA cruise this weekend as I finally am caught up from work, but wanted to say that we did have some new merchandise in the shops. A couple of NA logo things and watches and Michael Kors handbags. Would love to see more as I would buy way more if they had it but since several have commented on it I wanted to chime in. Have a fabulous trip and I will be following along!! Thanks for doing this btw

Archived