Which city is better?

zahav1

Which city is more interesting Barcelona or Venice. Going to stop at both, embark in Barcelona and disembark in Venice, but we're trying to figure out which one is worth the extra stay and we don't have a lot of extra time. If we stay a couple of nights in Barcelona prior to the cruise then we can't stay in Venice after the cruise. What is your opinion. We've never been to either one of these cities.

That is so difficult! I love Venice and have been fortunate enough to have visited four times in five years, staying anywhere between 3 days and a week. We are sailing from Barcelona in November and spending two days precruise. Two very different cities, each as interesting as the other. Good luck with your decision.

Dawn

Tough call.

I'd say Venice is better if what you want is a great sense of history and classic beauty.

Barcelona is better if you want a city with a current, vibrant local culture (not at all just tourists) and a bit of history to go with it.

Barcelona is much easier and better developed and accessible. It is a very open city and has such a wide variety of activities. There are better and more diverse hotel choices there.

Venice is incredible to see, but I never spend more than one night there. I live close to Venice and really consider it such a hassle to be there for any extended period of time due to the severe overcrowding. Everyone I ever take there always comments on how glad they were that I only planned one night there and more time elsewhere.

I've been to both cities, and find both interesting. That being said, I actually prefer Spain to Italy, and I'm really not sure why!

Barcelona has one of the best, if not the best, metro system in Europe and is very easy to navigate. If for no other reason, if you spend a few days in Barcelona, given the ease of the metro, you can visit a number of attractions very efficiently. I've always found Venice a little slower (not harder) to navigate.

• 4 weeks later...

Excluding the extra night, does your itinerary/flight plan give you some time in both places? For instance is your ship overniting in Venice? Or do you have an evening flight from Venice? And do you have an early am flight into Barca?

That apart, I'm more inclined toward Venice - though it'll mebbe stretch the pocket a little more.

OTOH, like many cruisers I'm also much more inclined to flying out a day early. Gives you breathing space if your flight is delayed or cancelled.

And ahead of a cruise I'm full of fizz & enthusiasm to explore, post-cruise I just want to get myself (& my laundry :eek:) back home.

(I'd be interested in other folks' attitudes on the same subject).

So your departure port being Barca, I'd opt for the extra day there.

JB :)

We have been to both in the last year and this is a tough choice. I would say Barcelona becuase you are visiting Venice and should have some time to get the feel of the city. Barcelona has more things to see and is more spread out.

I have spent a considerable amount of time enjoying both cities. While Barcelona has lots of interesting places to see and the food is wonderful, there is no city on Earth quite like Venice. Personally, I would spend one night in Barcelona and the rest of your extra time in Venice.

Pictures are worth a thousand words!

The Venice Lagoon (Gondolas, Glass & Lace) -

Venice – The Epic Sailaway -

Port of Barcelona, Spain (Gaudi, Paella, & Sangria) -

You decide!

I think it also depends what time of year. In say, November, Venice can be very damp and foggy. Weather probably better in Barcelona.

Venice is a beautiful city, but so crowded in the summer months. If you stay in Barcelona you could also visit somewhere else like Montserrat, Figueras for the Dali Museum, Gerona, Sitges, Tarragona, Cava cellers, local vineyards etc. All easily accessible from Barcelona. You need to do some research and decide what else is nearby the cities you would like to see.

Barcelona has some excellent bars and restaurants and overall will probably be cheaper than Venice.

Venice is incredible to see, but I never spend more than one night there. I live close to Venice and really consider it such a hassle to be there for any extended period of time due to the severe overcrowding. Everyone I ever take there always comments on how glad they were that I only planned one night there and more time elsewhere.

Funny, I spent a night or two in Venice back in 1971, it was early spring I think. Not too many tourists back then, in off-season, but it was still too rich for my blood to stay there longer--I was really glad to move on. I haven't been back, hope to some day, although I think it's been spoiled completely now.

Going to spend a week in Barcelona this November--looking forward to that.

Which city is more interesting Barcelona or Venice. Going to stop at both, embark in Barcelona and disembark in Venice, but we're trying to figure out which one is worth the extra stay and we don't have a lot of extra time. If we stay a couple of nights in Barcelona prior to the cruise then we can't stay in Venice after the cruise. What is your opinion. We've never been to either one of these cities.

I vote for two nights in Barcelona before the cruise. That gives you a full day there and some time the day you arrive and the day you board. If you can stay just one night in Venice before you fly out, you will be able to get a feel for this gorgeous city and see some of the main attractions. You can find some reasonably priced hotels. If your cruise ends on a Saturday, try to fly out on Sunday. So, you'll be jetlagged at work for a couple of days ... Who cares? You'll have Venice.

• 2 weeks later...

Been to Venice twice, once stayed a couple days post cruise. This summer had two days because of an overnight in Venice. But this time stayed two days pre and two days post in Barcelona..

That is a tough one?!

I cried when I saw venice, just an amazing feeling!! But Barcelona is quite impressive. The narrow cobblestone streets, Gaudi buildings/ parks... I vote Barcelona! Stay at hotel colon with a balcony view of the cathedral...quite spectacular!

If you disembark in Venice, will u have some time? You have to walk Venice for a few hours for sure though?? Can u stay one night post cruise and fly out early from Venice? That would be ideal.

Regardless of which one is better I would be sure to not arrive to the embarkation city the day of the cruise. You run the risk of missing the ship, you will have jet lag and your luggage could go missing. So, if you only have time on one end my answer is Barcelona. If you had time on both ends they really are both equally nice in their own ways.

I would stay in Barcelona for two nights and if you could squeeze in one night in Venice I would. If not I would still stay with Barcelona for two nights. Do you end with an overnight on board the ship in Venice?

Keith

Yesterday's gondola accident near the Rialto Bridge is exactly what I always fear in Venice. The vaporettos get so crowded that sometimes tourists move in front of the driver's vision line. I have seen so many near misses over the years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10249487/Venice-gondola-crash-kills-German-tourist.html

• 2 weeks later...

What a great question without a clear answer. We might ask whether we would prefer sitting in a café along the Ramblas (Barcelona) or having lunch at a café/restaurant on Burano. Come to think of it the solution would be to go to both places :)

Hank

We just did this itinerary. if you only have " a couple of extra nightS" then split it one at each end...also think the ship does an overnight in Venice so technically you would have two there. Make sure if you are doing that, that you get well located hotels in both.

I must agree, those complaining about crowds need to hit the back streets and discover the real Venice or go to the outlying islands.

Love those little back streets (and canals) of Venice and the other islands in the Lagoon (we really enjoy Burano). But there is another issue about Venice. Many folks choose to stay out in Mestre in order to save some money. But Mestre is not Venice, and despite the good transportation between Mestre and Venice it is still a bit of a hassle (depending on how far your hotel is from the Mestre train station) every time you want to come over to Venice. When we stay in Venice WE STAY IN VENICE! If I want to go out for a late night stroll I walk out the door and I it is right there! In the morning when we are ready to go out for the day we walk out the door and we are immediately soaking up that unique Venice atmosphere. I like to equate staying in Mestre to folks visiting NYC who stay over in Newark. It is just not the same as being there!

We think its similar in Barcelona. When it comes to choosing a hotel many would suggest its about Location, Location, Location. That is why we love the Hotel Colon with its Cathedral view rooms (these do cost extra). We can sit at the outdoor café in front of our hotel and we are in a great atmosphere. If we want to stroll around the popular Gothic Quarter we walk out our door and we are there! If we want to walk on the Ramblas its just a short stroll from our hotel.

Hank

Archived