Computer virus warning on Holland website

quack2

I agree with Randyk47 that getting this warning is telling you that your anti-malware /virus program is doing its job.

Yes, HAL needs to fix their website.

BUT users need to fix their PCs so they are not vulnerable to this exploit.

Just because HAL fixes their website does not mean you will not come across this exploit elsewhere. Keeping your devices up-to-date is is very important to keep YOU protected.

Please see my post on previous page (#20)

Just to reiterate what I said before.... new computer, brand new Norton which is up to date, AVG as well. Not about to ininstall anything. But I contacted my TA and she is contacting HAL about the message - she got it too.

Also have a new computer with Windows 7 & AVG..

Was on the HAL Web site yesterday, but no warnings..

My AVG & was updated at 11:20 a.m. (this morning) ..I leave my PC on every Friday night to get automatic updates..Just checked again for AVG & it says updates have been completed..

Betty

I just tried a few things and got no warning from my Norton. When do you see it? (i.e. after doing what?)

I get it as soon as I go to the HAL home page using Firefox 22 as well as IE 10 (Norton blocks it).

Not to get too technical but actually this is a hacking attempt and not a virus in the sense we're used to like when it's attached to an email. The end result is the same so maybe it's not an issue but it is a bit different. What's infected in this case is HAL's server not our personal computers. It's an exploit meaning it's a program that tries to hack into your computer using known loopholes, backdoors, weaknesses, etc., in other programs and in effect take control of a part or all of your computer. Obviously the end result is that the hacker could mine your computer for personal information from bank accounts to passwords to whatever they were interested in. The reason I'm not seeing the hack attacks is that I happen to have a router....a different and totally separate device....between my modem and my computers. The router has its own built-in firewall that turns back the hack attempt so it never gets to my computers and therefore Norton doesn't see it and turn it back. It all works just like it's designed to work. HAL has the problem and they need to scrub their system to see where and how the exploit program was loaded on their server.

I've been on the HAL for over three hours with no warnings or issues .

I have three levels of virus control on my system.

1 - My DSL provider has a spam and virus filter on their system

2 - My router has it's own anti - virus filter that blocks viruses

3 - My computer is Win 7 64 bit Pro with Microsoft internet security essentials.

Depending on your internet provider , they might not be blocking spam and viruses properly.

I check computer logs don't show any viruses activity.

Not that I am going to try it.......but I wonder how it would affect my kindle......not sure if I have protection...

Anyone know about kindle's, tablet's, iPad's or nook's...??

It will not attack your Kindle or an iPad, Nook, or tablet but it would attack a laptop running Windows as its operating system.

I've been on the HAL for over three hours with no warnings or issues .

I have three levels of virus control on my system.

1 - My DSL provider has a spam and virus filter on their system

2 - My router has it's own anti - virus filter that blocks viruses

3 - My computer is Win 7 64 bit Pro with Microsoft internet security essentials.

Depending on your internet provider , they might not be blocking spam and viruses properly.

I check computer logs don't show any viruses activity.

Well, on the other hand I think it IS blocking properly, and that's why I'm getting the alerts. The fact that you're not getting any alert may be because your system is not blocking:confused:

Well, on the other hand I think it IS blocking properly, and that's why I'm getting the alerts. The fact that you're not getting any alert may be because your system is not blocking:confused:

I scan my computer every night. All virus that are detected are logged .

I just logged on as I got an e-mail from HAL telling me my express docs are ready. I also got the warning. I use a router and I'm using windows 8 and Norton blocked it. I'll wait a few days before I print my docs.

Archived