Computer virus warning on Holland website

quack2

I went onto the Hal site about an hour ago before I saw or read this thread and completed my express documents for an upcoming cruise. I use a MAC desktop and did not see any clue of a problem so far. I hope there is not something planted and lurking in my computer. Perhaps it only affects Windows computers? Anyone else with MAC's have any experience today?

RonJoan

I went onto the Hal site about an hour ago before I saw or read this thread and completed my express documents for an upcoming cruise. I use a MAC desktop and did not see any clue of a problem so far. I hope there is not something planted and lurking in my computer. Perhaps it only affects Windows computers? Anyone else with MAC's have any experience today?

RonJoan

Use a MAC also. No problems - one of the benefits of finally deserting Microsoft a few years ago.:D

(Macs aside) - for those who do not get a warning, why is the assumption that all is OK? Surely, getting the warning means the virus checker is working.

That's why I said I hope it is good thing = meaning I hope system did its job and caught the problem before I had one.

I am still getting the warning. I called HAL yesterday (Friday). Consumer Services, said that there is nothing wrong with their web-site. May be they have checked since my call.

No warning after several tries on the HAL website. Windows 7 and antivirus is up to date. Couldn't it be a false warning of certain antivirusscanners? It seems to be mainly Norton that fires a warning.

My suspicion is that this is the explanation. AVG, until they updated it, used to drive me nuts with false positives. I now use Microsoft Security Essentials on the advice of our computer guru. And I'm having no notices. Sounds as though Norton needs some tweaking/updating.

Couldn't it be a false warning of certain antivirusscanners? It seems to be mainly Norton that fires a warning.

My suspicion is that this is the explanation.
It's called Exploit Toolkit Website 21 and is coming from a site called rocketadmedia.com. It may not be a virus, but I'm happy that it is being blocked.

It's called Exploit Toolkit Website 21 and is coming from a site called rocketadmedia.com. It may not be a virus, but I'm happy that it is being blocked.

rocketadmedia.com sounds like an advertisement supplier. Those of us with ad blockers will not see the ad or the virus.

You might have to change the settings on your pop-up control. HAL uses popup's for logging in . Norton and others might be seeing this as a virus instead of a valid operation.

Why would that happen all of a sudden, though?

I haven't changed my pop-up settings, nor have I changed anything to do with Norton. Until the last couple of days there has been no problem accessing the HAL site, but now I get the same warning others are talking about.

Something changed, and it wasn't at my end. At least not that I know of, or had anything to do with.

Is anyone else getting a computer virus warning on Holland's website? I'm getting one there and nowhere else.

Norton is catching it, but I'm wondering what's up.

Yes I got the same as you did....Norton blocked it.

Why would that happen all of a sudden, though?

I haven't changed my pop-up settings, nor have I changed anything to do with Norton. Until the last couple of days there has been no problem accessing the HAL site, but now I get the same warning others are talking about.

Something changed, and it wasn't at my end. At least not that I know of, or had anything to do with.

Your virusscanner updates itself all the time (at least it should do). Maybe its virusdefinition has changed to include this warning?

There are all kinds of variables that come into play with whether a particular user will get a warning on a particular web site. Browser, browser settings, antivirus program (updated definitions AND engine), hardware between you and the internet. Getting a warning DOES indicate that your antivirus is working, but false positives DO occur. I'd take the program's word for it unless you know your antivirus program is old or that the definitions have not been updated.

If the malware in question is coming from rocketadmedia, then as was previously pointed out the problem is an ad and not HAL's website. If you have an ad blocker, pop-up blocker, or some sort of safe surf you probably will not get a message from your antivirus because it isn't seeing the problem traffic - it gets stopped at a layer above the antivirus.

I think the lesson to be learned here is to have multiple layers of protection. My ISP has antivirus and malware protection on their routers, I have a firewall and antivirus/malware protection on MY router, I also have a software fireall, safe-surfing service from McAfee, pop-ups blocked unless I ok them, and then my McAfee antivirus. I also use the safe-search feature on Google to add another layer of protection when doing a web search.

I don't want to insult anyone here - if you know better, great - but a lot of computer users get the 3 - 12 month antivirus subscription with a new computer and they never renew it. If you do not have updated antivirus definitions AND engines, you are not protected. You will not see those warnings from the antivirus and it is not because you have multiple layers of protection, it is because you are unprotected. If your computer is more than a few months old and you haven't checked your antivirus to ensure it is up-to-date -- do so right now. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

Getting warning last 2 days with Kapersky

I got the actual virus, and I also have Kapersky. It says it's a Trojan malware........been trying to delete it for two days. Totally ignorant about software and how to process it:(

Archived