VIP Program

C 2 C

I'm fairly newly Elite.

Unless you are on this board, or other cruise boards, do you really know what that means if you're a first/second/third time cruiser?

Let's say it's your first or second cruise...what does it matter to you what others are getting or doing or being called...you might walk past a venue that says "private party" and you'd just shrug and say ok, and go somewhere else (I've been on many cruises where huge company functions were on board and they took over some venues - so what, we just went somewhere else). There are a lot of places to go - people can find a spot for what they want to do.

What's my point? Oh yeah...so what if literature calls people Elite or VIP...if you're invited to the things, because you earned them either through past trips or present spending, good for you. I guess because I go to Las Vegas a lot, and I know that many people get treated handsomely with comps for money they spend gambling, I expect that some people will get perks that I don't get. I don't get bent out of shape about it. I don't demand that I get them, too, when I truly have not earned them.

As a newly minted Elite (just 2 cruises enjoying those perks), if I get vouchers for a couple of drinks every night (I'd prefer that, have our choice of where to go), and get my coupons for the laundry, etc., etc. I'll be very happy. I'm not going to spend multi-thousands on a suite, I'm not going to cruise 5 times a year to be in the very upper tier of cruise credits, and I don't begrudge those that do those things better perks than what I get.

Andy

We were on the Silhouette June 3rd sailing and then the Eclipse to the Baltic's. We enjoy beer but Michael's was never open except in the evening. We would have gladly gone there during the afternoon for a few drinks but had to settle for other bars. Since they weren't holding the Elite function there do you know why they opened so late?

So agree. My DH and I have finally learned not to bother to go to Michael's Club. We've only been there for a Cruise Connection Party and for a drill. Any other time, it's been closed. Unbelievable that on a sea day, you can't get a craft beer there in the afternoon. :confused:

In our experience, Cellar Masters was always empty between 9 pm and closing on a recent Silhouette sailing. And I really mean empty. It's a beautiful space but the concept doesn't seem to work, especially with the drink packages that have been so popular.

Finally, we just became eligible to attend the E....-I mean the invitation only cocktail party where you may not wear flip flops. ;) I hope that Celebrity doesn't eliminate that perk but we would happy with some drink vouchers that could be used at any of the ship's bars.

Not in my experience. We had a Royal Suite on the Infinity recently. We were not met in the terminal. We did not get invited to dine at the captain's table. What we did get was a royal stink of sewage on our veranda rendering it uninhabitable which the guest relations manager didn't seem to think was a big deal. I've never been treated so poorly in my life. I won't be in any hurry to book a royal suite in the near future.

Oh Linda, this is terrible. I am never going to want a suite on Celebrity after hearing that. I'm looking forward to a suite on Norwegian, because I have heard they really treat their suite people well, but have not been tempted to go above AQ on Celebrity. Maybe Celebrity needs to make some notes.

Not in my experience. We had a Royal Suite on the Infinity recently. We were not met in the terminal. We did not get invited to dine at the captain's table. What we did get was a royal stink of sewage on our veranda rendering it uninhabitable which the guest relations manager didn't seem to think was a big deal. I've never been treated so poorly in my life. I won't be in any hurry to book a royal suite in the near future.

That's just awful. My experience in RS's is totally polar opposite of yours. I'm guessing that Hotel Director on your sailing on Infinity was not up to par (there are bad ones, you know!) I've experienced "special treatment" on Mercury, Summit and Silhouette (although come to think of it on Silhouette we were not invited to an officer's table - which is definitely not a "biggie" in my book as we usually decline anyway as we sail with friends who are not invited.)

But it really does sound like your Infinity sailing was not up to snuff. I would have been livid if I could not use the balcony all week.

That's just awful. My experience in RS's is totally polar opposite of yours. I'm guessing that Hotel Director on your sailing on Infinity was not up to par (there are bad ones, you know!) I've experienced "special treatment" on Mercury, Summit and Silhouette (although come to think of it on Silhouette we were not invited to an officer's table - which is definitely not a "biggie" in my book as we usually decline anyway as we sail with friends who are not invited.)

But it really does sound like your Infinity sailing was not up to snuff. I would have been livid if I could not use the balcony all week.

After several days of our constant badgering and our butler's badgering, the engineering department finally agreed to quit doing what they were doing which was causing the smell. Why they couldn't quit doing it when we first complained is beyond me. And why that idiot guest relations manager thought we wouldn't want to use our balcony when the weather was gorgeous and we were on a crossing blows the mind.

Never saw the hotel director. Was about to escalate to him when they quit causing the smell.

It was definitely not the most sterling of crews. Definitely not a normal Celebrity experience. Put me off sailing on the Infinity ever again. We did have a wonderful butler, though!

I have sailed many times on Celebrity, Azamara, and Royal. I have also sailed on other lines. Often when choosing a cruise, the elite status perks often are a deciding feature. I enjoy the elite perks. It took me a long time to get to elite. On my most recent cruise on the Infinity, I enjoyed the elite lounge. The hostess was excellent. However, many of the staff treated me poorly. I asked to speak to the hotel director many times. He was unavailable for the entire 15 days? It was the first time that I came home unhappy. Too many problems that were not resolved. We usually book another cruise while we are sailing or within a month after the trip. It didn't happen this time. Instead we came home and booked a land tour. We just did that tour and loved it...17 days. And, we are booking another trip with the same tour company again. Happiness on a trip makes you want to repeat the experience. It may be a long time before I cruise on Celebrity again.

Andy

We were on the Silhouette June 3rd sailing and then the Eclipse to the Baltic's. We enjoy beer but Michael's was never open except in the evening. We would have gladly gone there during the afternoon for a few drinks but had to settle for other bars. Since they weren't holding the Elite function there do you know why they opened so late?

Hi Christine Frances,

Sorry, but I do not know why they wouldn't open Michael's, especially as they offer Craft Beers, which may not be available elsewhere on the ship. One would think they have nothing to lose by keeping Michael's open - especially on Sea Days, but they apparently think otherwise.

Hi Folks

Would it not be a much nicer idea if all passengers got the same high standards of service and attention regardless of if its their 1st or 101st cruise...?

If the lines really want to reward their regular customers the best way would be a discount off the cruise fare.

That way you can be a VIP, Gold , Silver , Mariner , Diamond .. or whatever you please even a slob and still enjoy all that the ship has to offer

No I say let me earn points that make my cruise fare cheaper :p

Best Wishes

John

I think VIP sounds much worse than Elite. Can you see it now "I'm a Celebrity Very Important Person/passenger and ......"

BTW, I've never understood why someone has to say I'm an: Elite, Diamond Plus, Platinum, etc., other than for their own ego, because it really doesn't matter to anyone else.

Couldn't have said it better.;)

He also told me that there would be no "grandfathering" and that Celebrity would go to days.

"No grandfathering"???

So when Celebrity creates the two new Captains Club levels everyone is going to be reset to ZERO days and will have to start again from scratch???

I hope not:confused:

"No grandfathering"???

So when Celebrity creates the two new Captains Club levels everyone is going to be reset to ZERO days and will have to start again from scratch???

I hope not:confused:

If there were to be no "grandfathering" you would stay where you are in terms of points or days. However, no grandfathering means that if you currently have 10 credits you are Elite. If they raised Elite to 25 points, you would no longer be Elite. Of course at this time this is all speculation and we won't know what happens until it happens. I'm certain that the loyalty of you and your family would place you at the highest level no matter what changes are made.

Couldn't have said it better.;)

I can be an elite VIP! Wow!

Seriously, if hq is doing this....then call it a private room for "guests of celebrity". No doubt it will include friends of hq staff and ship personnel as well as some but not all suite guests. We have taken four 10+day cruises in aqua in the past 12 months and we'll be in aqua on the infinity in October....but not in a RS...does that qualify us...who knows...it's a mystery

I can be an elite VIP! Wow!

Seriously, if hq is doing this....then call it a private room for "guests of celebrity". No doubt it will include friends of hq staff and ship personnel as well as some but not all suite guests. We have taken four 10+day cruises in aqua in the past 12 months and we'll be in aqua on the infinity in October....but not in a RS...does that qualify us...who knows...it's a mystery

VIP might be the new level beyond "Elite".

Then "Elite VIP" or "VIP Elite" would be the level beyond the simple VIP. :)

It might have been you Charles, that explained that "X" has learned that us repeaters no longer take shore ex's etc. Therefore looking for fresh blood.They can grandfather us as we are getting older and there will be less of us each year. Free drinks cost them very very little!

It might have been you Charles, that explained that "X" has learned that us repeaters no longer take shore ex's etc. Therefore looking for fresh blood.They can grandfather us as we are getting older and there will be less of us each year. Free drinks cost them very very little!

I could have very well said that because that's what I believe. I don't know too many very frequent cruisers who buy the photos, go to the Spa and frequent the shops ( accept my DW when she has extra OBC). The ideal passengers would be the newly wed couple who want to create a special memory. The line must fill the cabins and that means retaining repeat business as well as attracting new business. But, they must do this in a way that maximizes profit. Hate to keep saying that, but reading some posts makes me believe that some posters just don't understand how a successful business needs to operate.

No grandfathering would mean us finding a new cruiseline that DOES appreciate loyalty.:mad:

The laundry, internet minutes and morning specialty coffees are very important to us, and we are at the moment very glad that our loyalty to the brand, and our financial contributions are being recognized. if they cancel this, that WILL be regarded as a slap,in the face by a lot of passengers, including us. You simply can not take away hard earned perks. we in Europe pay a lot of money for these cruises.

So lower the status, lose us, early thirties very loyal couple, spending around 10.000 euro a year on cruises. :mad: I am sure the beancounters can make the calculation:rolleyes:

No grandfathering would mean us finding a new cruiseline that DOES appreciate loyalty.:mad:

The laundry, internet minutes and morning specialty coffees are very important to us, and we are at the moment very glad that our loyalty to the brand, and our financial contributions are being recognized. if they cancel this, that WILL be regarded as a slap,in the face by a lot of passengers, including us. You simply can not take away hard earned perks. we in Europe pay a lot of money for these cruises.

So lower the status, lose us, early thirties very loyal couple, spending around 10.000 euro a year on cruises. :mad: I am sure the beancounters can make the calculation:rolleyes:

I think it's important for Celebrity to recognize the ill will and potential loss of business if they take anything away from current Captain's Club members. My suggestion would be to grandfather in anyone who has earned a level, give 6 months for people who are close to the next level to gain it and then apply any new rules after the 6 month period. This might actually increase business by encouraging those who need one or two more cruises to take them within the grace period.

I think it's important for Celebrity to recognize the ill will and potential loss of business if they take anything away from current Captain's Club members. My suggestion would be to grandfather in anyone who has earned a level, give 6 months for people who are close to the next level to gain it and then apply any new rules after the 6 month period. This might actually increase business by encouraging those who need one or two more cruises to take them within the grace period.

Wouldn't that just make the problems of overcrowding, etc. worse with even more Elites?

...My cynical little mind adds this information (admittedly incomplete) to that of comments the new CEO has made and one wonders if instead of additional Captains Club levels that anyone can achieve over time, Celebrity is instead going to focus on the bigger spenders. This would be a real change in the paradigm of how these programs are managed today by the mainstream cruise lines. Perhaps this would be in addition to, rather than instead of. Or perhaps I am way off base. I guess time will tell.

I reported in the past that a usually reliable source told me that amount spent would be a factor in any new program. When I asked what spending would be included he told me that everything, shops, spas, excursions, would be included. He also told me that there would be no "grandfathering" and that Celebrity would go to days. This might be the first sign that he was aware of changes. Or, it could have just been a guess. Oh, isn't speculating fun?

To me, the VIP program as described doesn't hold much if anything.

From a business perspective, I think a focus on revenue and profit-generating customers, rather than simply loyal repeat cruisers, makes a lot of sense. Like many others, my Elite parents regularly book cheap repositioning or off-season cruises, and don't partake in most profit-center activites (e.g. spa, excursions, etc.). X would definitely make more money on non-Elite customers who are paying full freight during peak season, those occasionally or regularly booking suites, and/or those who spend alot onboard!

Wouldn't that just make the problems of overcrowding, etc. worse with even more Elites?

Perhaps in the short term.. Some of your top Elites would move to higher levels and perhaps go to a dedicated lounge (VIP). Making it much more difficult to reach the Elite level would slow growth from the bottom end. Over time people at the top end would stop cruising due to age or lack of interest, thus reducing top end pressure. These combined factors would result in fewer Elites.

Hi Folks

If the lines really want to reward their regular customers the best way would be a discount off the cruise fare.

John

John, this is exactly what Royal Caribbean (a/k/a Celebrity's sister line) already does. They offer a generous discount on balcony (and above) cabins. For example, if you book a standard 7-night Caribbean cruise at least 6 months out, which I always do, they give Diamonds a $225 discount off total cabin rate. I think it ticks down a little if you book within 6 months.

Regardless, THAT is my most valued perk as a Diamond with Royal Caribbean. I thoroughly enjoy the Diamond Lounge, but I'd be most upset with losing my balcony discount and wish X would offer something better than they currently do.

Archived