Do you take your own snorkeling gear?

goldgirl2

You can find good quality equipment at any sporting goods store. However, I had problems getting the cheaper masks to fit correctly so I ended up going to a store specializing in SCUBA gear.

If space is an issue, consider just bringing a snorkel and possibly a mask, and use their fins. Especially if the cost of gear rental is built into the price of the excursion.

Very much agree and we've always done exactly as you do!

LuLu

~~~

I bring my own mask & snorkel. Mine were not cheap - I got them at a local dive shop and my mask is the same one I use for scuba diving. I have dive fins but they're not appropriate for snorkeling so I've been using whatever they have on the excursions. I've been thinking more and more about buying and bringing my own on my upcoming cruises though. I have my own snorkel vest as well - it's pretty easy to pack.

We did spend money on the mask, from a scuba store only $35... the other stuff I got the Serria Trading Post. Again did not spend that much and with the new flippers they are not a large as the sets you get Walmart or places like that. Great buy and easy to carry...

I love this post!! I was just talking about this with my husband last week.

We leave in 20 days (freedom of the seas) and we are snorkeling in Grand Cayman. I have used snorkel gear from excursions before but it makes me uneasy!! I told him I'd prefer to bring my own.

So...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEX-Reef-Rider-Adult-Swimming-Diving-Mask-Snorkel-SET-OF-2/400553084580?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D17572%26meid%3D1200312317602213044%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D8140%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D161095495074%26

I just bought this.. They have more if anyone wants some, although I can't say if they are any good but ya can't beat the price.

any fairly recent Coco Cay visitors

if I bring my own MFS, do they require a snorkel vest and if so what does it cost (I know DCL requires but they are free) Altho I've been to Coco b4 I never snorkeled!! I tried to SCUBA but we got weathered out. Got cool after that and we never ventured out to snorkel so I do not remember what the rules were.

I see that their 'snorkel excursion' is a big name for renting gear ... question is, can I rent (do I need to rent) JUST the vest?????

Jumped on the super cheap rates since we live 30 minutes from the port . . . trying to minimize what I carry.

Yes, they require a vest. You can rent a vest and flippers for much less than the full package on the day you're there; you can't do it online ahead of time.

I believe they'll rent the vest only if you're taking flippers, or not using them. I won't swear to that, though.

I like having my own snorkel gear. Most of the rental masks are cheap and leak. The snorkels are simply tubes with no purge valves. When I hear people complain about not enjoying snorkeling, the complaints are almost always about water in the tubes or masks. It's hard to focus on the wonders of the sea when you are having to stop every couple minutes to clear your mask or tube.

My husband had a mustache so he has a hard time finding rental masks that seal well. As a minimum we bring our own masks and tubes. I prefer my fins but I leave them at home if we are flying to a port because I usually need the suitcase weight for something else. If we fly, we'll rent fins or go without. I prefer to dive when snorkeling and I'm a fairly good swimmer so I don't use a float vest unless it's required. If it is, I will inflate it as little as possible.

If you'd like to bring fins with you, there are several brands of "short" fins on the market today designed for swimmers but work very well for snorkeling as well. Finis Zoomers is one of the brands. They look like this. Tuck nicely into luggage!

1267-206-T.jpg

what a good idea! might pick them up when i get new snorkle. I prefer using the 'dry' variety but for some reason despite rinsing them thoroughly they tend to stick after several uses.:confused:

I am really nearsighted and bought a prescription mask for not much more than a mid-level regular one - works great.

DW and I both have "dry snorkel" versions that are so much more pleasant than basic open tube models. I hate being surprised my a mouth full of salt water when an unexpected wave comes by.

We have fins, but seldom take them as they take up the most room. Many excursions include equipment and they have been happy to provide fins as we use our own masks and snorkels.

Our inflatable vests take up no room and we always use them. DH is a good swimmer but likes to go out further alone. If he got into trouble he could puff a little air into the vest and stay afloat. Plus they are bright yellow for visibility. This happened once to him at trunk bay around the edge of the little island where the current suddenly got strong. I inflate mine as I am not a good swimmer and then a can float along not going out too far.

Worth the $40 pp they cost when we snorkel without a group.

Thank you for this link! What a great deal!!:D

You're very welcome!

Oh, and if you're in the market for water shoes, the "disposable" ones from that same company are simply the closeouts of the regular shoes. They're not actually "use once and dispose of them" -- they just don't come in a choice of colors. (Mine were blue.)

We will be doing a snorkel excursion and the thought of putting my mouth on something that was used by others does not sit well with me. I don't really trust the cleaning technique or lack of it. Where can I purchase snorkel gear for a reasonable price?

We bought ours at Costco in 2007 and have hauled that gear all over the world and back and they are still in as good as shape as they were when we bought them. I refuse to use any snorkel gear that somebody else has put their mouth on. ICK :(

You're very welcome!

Oh, and if you're in the market for water shoes, the "disposable" ones from that same company are simply the closeouts of the regular shoes. They're not actually "use once and dispose of them" -- they just don't come in a choice of colors. (Mine were blue.)

Funny you should mention that because I ordered the shoes!

We will be doing a snorkel excursion and the thought of putting my mouth on something that was used by others does not sit well with me. I don't really trust the cleaning technique or lack of it. Where can I purchase snorkel gear for a reasonable price?

DW and I bought two complete sets several years ago. They paid for themselves over and over again. We even bought a special back pack to carry the stuff in too. Oh, and we also bought the inflatable vests too... If you are gonna go a few times Id recommend buying a set...even if just for the sanity of knowing there are clean and used by you.

you can get a pretty good idea of the price range, options, and some of the good brand names by looking here

http://www.leisurepro.com/c-958/masks#!1

and here

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba/scuba-gear/scuba-mask/browse/page/2/

but I am NOT saying buy on line .... go to a dive shop and try some on. Fit is IMPORTANT. I've never seen a 'real dive shop' that sold toy equipment . . .

Makers of quality equipment include: SCUBAPRO, SUB-GEAR, TUSA, CRESSI, OCEANIC, MARES, EVO (may be unique to DiversDirect) (not all inclusive list)

and for a 'good' mask I'd expect to pay .... well, recently bought dd the MARES X-VISION for $50 at Divers Direct

P7036408_zps9ca51e9a.jpg

it held up fine on her trip to Roatan - 6 weeks, dive 6 days a week, 3 or 4 dives a day - biological research team UNIV of BAMA // summer intern CocoView Resort

the family that dives together . . .

100_0105_zps00ed64ce.jpg

Archived