Where to go: Western, Eastern or Southern Caribbean?

easy_123

Having gone on an Alaskan cruise (Star Princess) the first week of September, we caught the Cruising Bug! When we boarded in Seattle neither of us were sure we really wanted to be on a BIG boat in the middle of the ocean but we could hear the whales calling. Before we got off we bought some FCCs.

Now We want to - nay, we MUST - go on another cruise but my problem is where. We are thinking of a 7 day Caribbean one but which one, an Eastern, Western or Southern?

We are not the "lay around on the beach" type nor are we the "splash in the surf" type. I can imagine us snorkeling and "seeing the sites", and of course, doing the ever-present, ever-consuming "shop til you drop" hiking! We are both in our early 60s and in reasonable health, and would like to stay somewhat within that demographic (a reason to stay with Princess and not consider Disney).

Thanks!

(FYI: I will be posting my question on New Cruisers section as we are open to lines as well.)

Pick the places you would like to see and match up an itinerary. Been all through the Caribbean over the years and the only place I would never go back to is Falmouth Jamaica. Everybody from 6 to 60 wanted to sell me the "best Gangie" on the island from the moment we got off the ship till we got back on including our tour guide!

We went on all many times. Only once we sailed Southern route out of San Juan, and this was the best cruise in terms of islands. St. Lucia, Barbados and other Southern islands are simply beautiful.

On Western route Grand Cayman is a highlight. On Eastern - St Maarten, but you can also find it on some Southern routes. If you are looking for great beach time without flying to SJ - find itin with St Maarten, St Thomas, Turks and Caicos, private islands: Half Moon Cay, Princess Cay, Labadee.

Pick the places you would like to see and match up an itinerary. Been all through the Caribbean over the years and the only place I would never go back to is Falmouth Jamaica. Everybody from 6 to 60 wanted to sell me the "best Gangie" on the island from the moment we got off the ship till we got back on including our tour guide!

Yes it is not the greatest port, but we absolutely loved rafting on the beautiful Martha Brae! Check my review about MSC Poesia in my signature. Jamaica is fine, but does require more planning than many other islands to avoid danger and other unpleasant experiences.

Hmmm... If you're only doing one I'd probably recommend Eastern Caribbean, preferably the 3-port + Princess Cays itinerary (I wouldn't put Grand Turk high on my list of favorite ports to visit and would probably just make a beach day out of it if I went again, but it's worth seeing at least once.) Although I did enjoy the Southern Caribbean cruise I did (I'd have to say Curacao might be my favorite Caribbean island) it's only 2 port stops plus Princess Cays, and the crossing back and forth was a bit rough when we did it. I haven't done Western Caribbean yet, but haven't been impressed with the itineraries available recently.

I've enjoyed all three. Last December we did a western Caribbean cruise on HAL that went to their private island, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Key West. That was a nice itinerary. I try to avoid any itineraries that include Jamaica. We did sail there in 2010 on our Princess cruise to the Panama Canal. We stayed on the ship that day and enjoyed having a quiet time around the pool.

I'm currently considering a cruise on the Crown Princess that goes to Aruba and Curacao. We've done that itinerary twice--once on Princess and once on HAL. You get to enjoy more days at sea sailing that long distance. We've only taken one week-long southern Caribbean cruise that went to a lot of islands. I did not like have so many ports and too few days at sea. I don't think Princess is sailing out of San Juan anymore.

The eastern Caribbean islands have beautiful beaches plus culture. I've been to St. Thomas on many cruises. It's one of my favorite islands, although now we just treat it as a beach day. (Emerald Beach is within a long walk of the Crown Bay cruise terminal.) St. Martin also has beautiful beaches and culture. Grand Turk doesn't have a lot going for it. If we ever go there again, we'll enjoy the beach beside the pier and not do much else.

Since you want a 7 Night and have never been to the Caribbean...

Considering the things you like, my suggestion is an EASTERN.

An Eastern is always a good choice those who have never been to the Caribbean.

Have fun planning! :)

LuLu

~~~~

I would do the Western Caribbean first, but I would skip having Jamaica as a stop. Belize has snorkeling and diving on reefs, but there is a lengthy tender ride into the port. Roatan is beautiful and relaxing. The Mexican ports offer a variety of activities. Grand Cayman is wonderful - snorkeling, diving, Stingray City, shopping, Seven Mile Beach, and tendering is necessary.

The Southern itinerary I would do on a 10 day cruise - there's a lot of distance to travel. The southern islands have fabulous snorkeling and diving.

No matter what section you choose, you will likely visit each multiple times to see all of the possible ports.

Our first two were Western (I got out voted on the second one) but included different islands.. Cozumel on both, Caymans on both, Costa Maya on one, Belize on one, & Jamaica (Montego Bay) on one. All were lovely and we enjoyed every stop. Our third was Eastern and we were able to see St Thomas, San Juan, St Martin, and Labadee. We have also done the partial Panama Canal which included Aruba, Costa Rica, Columbia, and Jamaica (this time Ochos Rios) ... So for our upcoming cruise we are going more south-eastern and seeing St Thomas, St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, and Antigua... If I had to choose one I think I would start with the Eastern and put Western and Southern on my wish list. Your hooked now so there will be mores cruises in your future.

Happy Sailing!!!

If you really like warm weather, the farther south you go (southern itinerary) the better chance you have of warm weather. Otherwise, cruises leaving from FLL and HOU will have 1-2 days of cool weather heading down to the Caribbean and 1-2 days cool weather heading back north.

I prefer the Southern itinerary for that reason and because the islands seem more tropical and unique.

We've been to many Caribbean ports and do it for the relaxation, but it sounds like you want something more than the beach. The ports I would suggest for cultural sights would be Belize, Cozumel, San Juan.

Grand Cayman is also interesting to see the grand display of wealth, but we didn't go there for the cultural or UNESCO sites.

Yes it is not the greatest port, but we absolutely loved rafting on the beautiful Martha Brae! Check my review about MSC Poesia in my signature. Jamaica is fine, but does require more planning than many other islands to avoid danger and other unpleasant experiences.

Tatka- I just spent an enjoyable half-hour reading your Poesia review. Beautiful looking ship-great design flair on the interiors. I like too the crisp, brief commentary where you let the photos speak for themselves.

A great read.

Thanks for posting!

Norris

in Chicago

I would go Southern first. Tend to get to more islands and some nice variety of islands. Eastern is my second choice. I did only one Western cruise and I wasn't as thrilled. I'll try it again sometime, but Southern calls my name. Aruba, Grenada, Bonaire, and Tortola are all great to visit. Also Southern tends to get you away from the private island and allow some are nice, I'd prefer a Caribbean island.

Thats easy ...SOUTHERN.

Absolutely! Back to back with St Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Dominica, Aruba, Curacao would be even better. :)

Celebrity has one of the S class ships that is sailing 14 dayers out of Fort Lauderdale which includes most of these great islands.

Our first Caribbean cruise was an Eastern itinerary on Celebrity Silhouette out of FLL, The ports were San Juan, PR and St Maarten and St. Thomas. Loved all three ports, and it made us want to come back and do these islands again. We did ship excursions in PR and St. Thomas. Liked them, but next time would tour on our own; we'd do the fort in San Juan and also Old San Juan, and a beach in St. Thomas. In St. Maarten we did a private tour with Bernard's Tours. We saw just about everything there was to see on the entire island and included 2 hours relaxing on beautiful Orient Beach. Loved that tour. Next time we'd do more shopping there.

We have a cruise coming up in Jan. on Crown Princess, which goes to PrincessCay, Aruba and Curacao. From the reading I've done, these ports look great.

My sister-in-law loves the Western itinerary. Her favorite port of all her cruises is Cozumel.

Sounds like you can't go wrong with whichever itinerary you choose to do first. Just put the itineraries you don't choose on your "bucket list!"

Archived