1st Time - Last Time

seafish

Who cares about the review/non review at this point. The best part of this thread is the rabbit with a pancake on it's head picture.:D

(no, it doesn't take much to amuse me.)

Lol. This thread is a hoot. That rabbit picture is quite funny. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse any errors.

Recently on NCL Dawn B2B Boston NE/CN 14 day cruise. As expected - itinerary Excellent! - Weather Great! ... not so much Ship & Services - way too many ship board problems. Many cruises over the years but - 1st Time on NCL & Last Time on NCL for us. JMO

Why on earth would you take the time to post your conclusions without explaining why? I don't think that is fair to the cruise line or to the readers. If you don't like NCL - that's fine. Just explain a little why you didn't.

I'm glad to see a few of you coming to NCL's defense. We are cruising with them in November. it will be our first time cruising with them and I'm nervous as it is. Not because I've heard anything bad about them, just because I've never cruised with them. We have cruised on RCCL and CCL and I have nothing bad to say about either. I've had a few people tell me they weren't a fan of carnival but personally, we love carnival. feels like home to me! I try not to read too much into negative reviews because I think we're pretty easy to please people and my guess is our experience will be good regardless of the cruise line because we're going to be on a CRUISE! And we love cruising!

I am a huge fan of NCL and I also Loved Carnival! have no worries- you will have a great time! Don't sweat the small stuff- no matter what line you sail there will always be somebody who doesn't like something. Enjoy your cruise!

I'm sorry they didn't put in any specifics - it would have been interesting to see what exactly happened. I've cruised the 3 mass market lines, and wasn't blown away by the suite life on the Dawn (we did not have a good butler or concierge)....Now, that said, I thought the entertainment was good, the food OK (actually that's true for CCL & RCI too now), the coffee awful (I think that about CCL and RCI too - but some hot chocolate in the coffee helps...;)), the Moderno was downright evil (and I mean that in a good way - I'm not even that fond of beef. But I was that night! :D), and the balcony on the Deck 10 Aft PH was superb. We got to see whale spouts and dolphins as well as some beautiful sunsets (and the Enchantment of the Seas docking behind us in Bermuda. Much fun waving at people). By the way, we're booked into a Dawn SJ for our upcoming cruise to Bermuda shortly - and looking forward to it!

. And the desserts.....OMG....the improvement since my last NCL cruise (2010 I think, on the Jewel).....OMG

...........:)

I agree. I thought it was my imagination. I'm glad to see someone else noticed that the desserts were better...my last 2 NCL cruises, the desserts were really good and DANG I liked it better when they sucked. They were easier to refuse. :rolleyes::p

I am doing everything I can to keep a positive mind for my first NCL cruise next Sept. However, I have read some disparaging things about cruise lines in general going downhill since my last experiences in the 90's. Especially the quality of the food in the regular MDR's. When I last cruised there were no "optional, pay extra dining venues" and the MDR's were fantastic, as I recall.

It all depends on your expectations. It definitely isn't 5-star dining, however, I've never had a problem with the food in the MDRs or the buffet. The big thing to remember is the MDRs are turning out meals for many more people than the cruise lines were back in the 90s. The speciality restaurants are so-so in my opinion. They're not bad, but I don't feel like I have to go there just to get a decent meal.

I'm glad to see a few of you coming to NCL's defense. We are cruising with them in November. it will be our first time cruising with them and I'm nervous as it is. Not because I've heard anything bad about them, just because I've never cruised with them. We have cruised on RCCL and CCL and I have nothing bad to say about either.

I've been on both CCL and NCL. We just completed our third NCL cruise and bought a cruise credit for a 4th one. I've taken one CCL cruise and would take them again if they went somewhere NCL didn't, but given a choice between the two, we'll choose NCL.

If you enjoyed CCL, you'll love NCL....:)

Well...

bunny.jpg

:confused:

Yes, a bunny with a pancake on its head... Makes as much sense as the OP...

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pancake-bunny

Thanks! Much more informative than the OP. :D

Who cares about the review/non review at this point. The best part of this thread is the rabbit with a pancake on it's head picture.:D (no, it doesn't take much to amuse me.)

Yup! Me too! :p

I've been on both CCL and NCL. We just completed our third NCL cruise and bought a cruise credit for a 4th one. I've taken one CCL cruise and would take them again if they went somewhere NCL didn't, but given a choice between the two, we'll choose NCL.

If you enjoyed CCL, you'll love NCL....:)

Good to hear. DH and I are taking the kids on a carnival cruise in December. I've had a lot of people say to me "eww Carnival? I'd never". I always tell them Carnival feels like home to us. :) We've never really let someone else's viewpoint determine whether we're going to like something or not. We figure we have to at least give it a shot.

I am a huge fan of NCL and I also Loved Carnival! have no worries- you will have a great time! Don't sweat the small stuff- no matter what line you sail there will always be somebody who doesn't like something. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you. We're getting excited!! I will say there are two things I'm excited about that NCL does differently than Carnival. The first is freestyle dining. I don't like being held to a specific time. If we're out and enjoying ourselves, we may want a later dining time. If we're hungry earlier, eating earlier might be more ideal. I like that we have flexibility. I know Carnival has something a little similar with an option of a time window for dinner but we're normally traveling with extended family and they always want an assigned time. The second thing I'm excited for is the fact that we aren't limited in the amount of wine we would like to bring on board. We're not huge drinkers but we do have our favorites for wine. It will be nice to bring more than 2 bottles for ourselves and be able to enjoy our favorite wine the whole time we're cruising. :)

Thank you. We're getting excited!! I will say there are two things I'm excited about that NCL does differently than Carnival. The first is freestyle dining. I don't like being held to a specific time. If we're out and enjoying ourselves, we may want a later dining time. If we're hungry earlier, eating earlier might be more ideal. I like that we have flexibility. I know Carnival has something a little similar with an option of a time window for dinner but we're normally traveling with extended family and they always want an assigned time. :)

My time on the Carnival Dream was wonderful.

We did the anytime dinning or what ever they call it. We never waited more than 5 minutes to be seated with the same wait staff nightly. We dine early too. As much as people talk how bad it is dinning with CCL, we had a wonderful experience, and the MDR food was as good as any other line we have sailed. Their specialty steak house was the best experience we have had in a shipboard resturant.

Sorry... off topic but wanted to comment on the quote.

Jon

My time on the Carnival Dream was wonderful.

We did the anytime dinning or what ever they call it. We never waited more than 5 minutes to be seated with the same wait staff nightly. We dine early too. As much as people talk how bad it is dinning with CCL, we had a wonderful experience, and the MDR food was as good as any other line we have sailed. Their specialty steak house was the best experience we have had in a shipboard resturant.

Sorry... off topic but wanted to comment on the quote.

Jon

We were on the dream this time last year. It was our first time on that ship. We had such a good time. It was our children's first cruise. They had an absolute blast!! :) I have no complaints. :)

With no details hard to say but sorry it's not for you.

Many cruise lines, many choices....

check the posters favorite cruise line and it is clear why the comments. It is hard to get a clear picture and understand why someone is so turned off without any details. He had not intentions of posting a positive NCL review. I don't know what it is about Princess cruisers, most of them (I am generalizing) think it has to be Princess or nothing unless it is luxury. They really do put Princess on a cloud. I have never figured that one out.

Yes ... decided NOT to trot-out all the issues -way too many. But IMO safe to say on NCL you really do ... "Get What You Pay For"!

This is why we have so many cruise and cruise line choices. What works for one, doesn't always work for someone else. The Dawn (which btw I have not sailed, but will next spring) is one of the most popular NCL ships and it is rare to read many negatives about her, even from posters who prefer other lines. I am guessing, either you cruised expecting you would not be satisfied or you just had a bad experience, different from what many have. I notice, your favorite lines are Princess and Oceania. No one could expect NCL to be the same as Oceania, one is a mass marketed line, the other borders on what is considers a luxury line. As for Princess, I could say the opposite, we have cruised Princess 3 times and never come back totally satisfied, Mostly due to food quality and the attitude of the passengers. I can't say we had poor service except in the dining room.

I would love some more info too. Hard to decide if NCL is sinking or the OP is a curmudgeon.

And is that a pancake?

Let's just put it this way, from recent reports and reviews, NO, NCL isn't sinking, they are coming up in the world.

You have probably come on to something, by the pancake remark....

Seeing how the OP has over 1000 posts, I will give credit for knowing their way around CC. With in the first 10 reply s anyone with only a few posts will be bashed and their experience will be down played by those whose entertainment is being on the boards daily and trying to prove they are superior as they have 1000- 10000 or more posts so their view wins out.

The OP knew what was coming so left out the details as many here will jump on him/her to belittle or pick it apart, of course you then have posters whom will try too read into whatever he /she posts. No winning on CC posting anything but a overall positive review about NCL, so the OP made it short and got going, not a bad plan.

Since I only have 500 posts I will defer to the lifers, that is what I and others have been told by them to do...

I guess the best policy is no one should write CC reviews to they get 5000 or more posts and 10 on trips on NCL.

I guess the best policy is no one should write CC reviews to they get 5000 or more posts and 10 on trips on NCL.

OR...

You could simply post your review in the review section (I know, its a radical concept, right?) and not one single person will be able to comment on it...no matter how many posts they have or don't have.

But I guess what you are saying is that it takes thousands of posts and dozens of cruises before a person realizes that.

If someone wants to come on here and tell people how bad a cruise was, I would be more than happy to take their review into consideration along with all other reviews when booking a cruise, if they give details. If they don't want to give details, then their comments will be ignored, because there is no basis for their derogatory comments. For all I know, they could have hated their cruise, because they got dirt on their shoes.

I am a firm believer that "one cruise on a cruise line" is not enough to really compare when you go on one line pretty much exclusively... You really need to compare like ships with like ships...there are different classes among the cruise lines themselves, so that not everyone who loves NCL is going to love all the class ships they have... With that said sometimes a bad experience will deter you from using that cruise line again..As you can tell by my signature, I prefer going on RCI, but I will say I have enjoyed my 2 times on NCL and they are my second favorite cruise line.. I cruise around 4 times a year and I have decided to do 3 RCI and 1 NCL every year (must have suite).. I actually find the 2 lines a lot a like, we just love the flowrider and we are very used to the way RCI does things...I would never put down someone else's choice of favorite cruise line because what is important to 1 person is not important to another one.. I really believe for what I enjoy on a ship those two are my favorite. Love them both..

Seeing how the OP has over 1000 posts, I will give credit for knowing their way around CC. With in the first 10 reply s anyone with only a few posts will be bashed and their experience will be down played by those whose entertainment is being on the boards daily and trying to prove they are superior as they have 1000- 10000 or more posts so their view wins out.

Honestly I think that this is complete nonsense.

There is absolutely no need for high number of posts to be taken seriously but opinions and allegations like that really need to be explained so that readers can see if there is any actual reason for bashing at all - most of people who do these drive-by-bashings are noticed to be exxagerating heavily - that is if they actually ever come back to elaborate.

Archived