Prepaid gratuities, are they ruining passenger service?

I'm sure this post will irritate some people, but I just need to ask the opinions of other long-time cruise passengers their opinions on RCI/RCCL. I'm a long-time Diamond C&A member (not that it matters). I've not been able to sail the past six years as I've been caring for my elderly parents' needs and their deaths.

I'm finally sailing again with RCI this Friday (in less than two days), and I've been going on various RCI's Cruise Critic forums and have seen multiple postings suggesting that the passengers are feeling that they're being ignored (whether in the dining rooms, or in their cabins) due to everyone these days doing prepaid gratuities.

I personally don't care about chocolate on my pillows, or turn-down service for my bedding (and I've never cruised in any cabin class lower than a Junior Suite). But putting all of the chocolates on the pillows, turn-down service and towel animals aside, so many passengers appear to feel that the crew members that would normally be attentive towards the passenger's needs, are now almost "numbed out" and "non-caring" because the gratuities are prepaid, so they're just "going through the motions".

My last cruise was in 2007 and I had already been doing the prepaid gratuities (for all the cruise lines) since they originated prior to that time....but I hate to feel that I'm going to be "just a number" and ignored this coming cruise because the RCI/RCCL (as I always knew it) no longer exists? I don't want to think that I've got to just cruise on Celebrity or HAL, etc. to be more than "just a number" to the crew members and the ship's staff? Yes, I always do the prepaid gratuities, and even today I went to my bank to get a lot of cash for extra tips on the ship, but I truly wish a sense of apathy has not taken over the cruise experience?

We just got off the Independence of the Seas on Dec 21st and their service was very very good. As a matter of fact, we tipped additional to all. Most bent over backwards for us.

No complaints at all.

Tim

Edited by HB Cruiser

I'm sure that in any given crew, on any given ship, there are a few who may think they can take advantage of the policy to reduce their effort, but I suspect they are the same ones who probably did not provide very good service anyway.

While we may not consider them highly desirable jobs by our standards, these positions are very much desirable for the crew, compared to what they would be getting paid in their home country, and do not wish to loose them. You can bet that there is a data bank somewhere that tracks and cross references the complaints to the crew members, and a sharp or steady rise would not be taken lightly at evaluation time.

Also, there is no doubt that every cruise line has stretched the work load of crew members to the absolute max in the effort to help keep pricing under control and fill cabins in a market that is saturated with availability, so the cruisers that were used to, and expected, over the top service for everything are very disappointed and vocal about what they feel is a lack of attention by staff.

Edited by MermaidWatcher

I think you will notice a difference in the level of service from your cruises several years ago. But, as was mentioned earlier this is a product of less crew and a higher work load. I did not notice the level of service change after the auto grats went into effect. [yes--I know you can remove them]

However, this is not unique to RCL. All of the cruise lines are trying to do more with less in order to control prices. . . and increase profits.

There's no doubt in my mind that there has been a decline service since your last cruise in 2007. It's due to an increased workload of almost everyone on the staff. Waiters have more tables, room stewards have more rooms, there are fewer bartenders, less sports staff, fewer pool attendants and this list goes on. It's also my understanding RCCL is now implanting salary cuts, I'm sure that this won't help any service issues.

Even if you prepay, the folks who serve you don't GET their tips until the cruise is over...so the possiblity of having tips removed still stands....they work their butts off to make your vacation memorable! At least, that's been my experience. I'm betting that will be your experience, too.

I'm wondering this myself. We're cruising on Navigator soon, and they're adding over 80 cabins. Will they have the same number of crew servicing this larger number of passengers?

I've noticed fewer towel animals (from nearly every night to maybe one or two nights if we're lucky) and no chocolates. Of course, each one of those towel animals must be washed even if the passengers just put them aside for show. Still, an extra five minutes to create the towel animal may be an hour or more added to their workload.

Food has gone down in quality since the start of the Specialty Restaurants. On our first cruise with Royal, our waiter served us at the same table all three meals. They stopped this, because the waiters are down in the MDR, and the assistant waiters are up in the Windjammer. I suspect the same number of waiters cover multiple specialty restaurants as well as the MDR.

We didn't get any envelopes in our stateroom on the final night. I think a lot of people didn't care for prepaying or autopaying their gratuity, then getting handed an envelope too. It also could be the move to less paper waste.

Edited by knittinggirl

We didn't get any envelopes in our stateroom on the final night. I think a lot of people didn't care for prepaying or autopaying their gratuity, then getting handed an envelope too. It also could be the move to less paper waste.

You can get them at the customer service desk if want them.

Tim

We saw absolutely no decline in service. In fact, our service all around on the Allure in November was the best ever!!! Very impressed! As an aside, we had always pre-paid our tips prior to this cruise and never saw a difference between how we were treated as compared to our friends who did not prepay.

I think you may notice a little difference in service and food from 2007...that is a long time. But, as has been said, I think that is a function of cutbacks and increased workload and nothing to do with auto-tips or pre-paid gratuities. In my opinion, food is still good and service is still excellent.

We have been pre-paying tips and on all cruise lines since it has been possible to do so. I absolutely love doing away with the final night envelopes ritual! I always found it awkward and a distraction.

I believe the surveys are still very important to the service workers and they know auto-tips can always be removed. Motivation is still there to provide you with an excellent vacation experience. Welcome back to cruising!

Edited by dplusd
sp

I'm wondering this myself. We're cruising on Navigator soon, and they're adding over 80 cabins. Will they have the same number of crew servicing this larger number of passengers?

I've noticed fewer towel animals (from nearly every night to maybe one or two nights if we're lucky) and no chocolates. Of course, each one of those towel animals must be washed even if the passengers just put them aside for show. Still, an extra five minutes to create the towel animal may be an hour or more added to their workload.

Food has gone down in quality since the start of the Specialty Restaurants. On our first cruise with Royal, our waiter served us at the same table all three meals. They stopped this, because the waiters are down in the MDR, and the assistant waiters are up in the Windjammer. I suspect the same number of waiters cover multiple specialty restaurants as well as the MDR.

Heck, I've -- twice -- had room service in the early afternoon delivered by my MDR waiter. Never used to see that one... they're working harder than ever.

I'm sure this post will irritate some people, but I just need to ask the opinions of other long-time cruise passengers their opinions on RCI/RCCL. I'm a long-time Diamond C&A member (not that it matters). I've not been able to sail the past six years as I've been caring for my elderly parents' needs and their deaths.

I'm finally sailing again with RCI this Friday (in less than two days), and I've been going on various RCI's Cruise Critic forums and have seen multiple postings suggesting that the passengers are feeling that they're being ignored (whether in the dining rooms, or in their cabins) due to everyone these days doing prepaid gratuities.

I personally don't care about chocolate on my pillows, or turn-down service for my bedding (and I've never cruised in any cabin class lower than a Junior Suite). But putting all of the chocolates on the pillows, turn-down service and towel animals aside, so many passengers appear to feel that the crew members that would normally be attentive towards the passenger's needs, are now almost "numbed out" and "non-caring" because the gratuities are prepaid, so they're just "going through the motions".

My last cruise was in 2007 and I had already been doing the prepaid gratuities (for all the cruise lines) since they originated prior to that time....but I hate to feel that I'm going to be "just a number" and ignored this coming cruise because the RCI/RCCL (as I always knew it) no longer exists? I don't want to think that I've got to just cruise on Celebrity or HAL, etc. to be more than "just a number" to the crew members and the ship's staff? Yes, I always do the prepaid gratuities, and even today I went to my bank to get a lot of cash for extra tips on the ship, but I truly wish a sense of apathy has not taken over the cruise experience?

Good question. Like you we havent sailed since before the auto tipping started. I do not like the idea any more than I like it in a land based restaurant. I cant say if it has affected service but wouldnt be all that surprised. We are sailing in two weeks but if the service is not what we expect from RC then I will def go down to guest services and cut the tip. I believe it was done because of all the alternative dining offered. Too many doing that and not going to the dining room and tipping.

I don't know if the auto-tipping is the total cause, or just part of it, but service, particularly in the dining rooms, is not what it once was. It's a combination of not enough staff and them knowing that a greater portion of tips are "in the bag". Also, when standards decline and are accepted they become the new normal.

I think you'll have pleasant and good service, but I don't think you'll encounter as much personalized or stand out service.

With all of the guest facing staff (wait staff and housekeeping) being stretched so much I have to wonder out loud how much crew do the ships actually carry versus rated amount and if they carry full crew but they've cut back wait and housekeeping staff so much, where are all these other staffers?

I'm not sure what you have read, but I have not seen any complaints regarding a decline in service because of prepaid tips.