Do other cruise lines follow the 48-hr "hands off"

Tampa Girl

RCL's present noro virus brings up the question, if any of you know, whether other cruise lines follow HAL's 48-hours hands-off policy? There were 700 + passengers on the Explorer, which seems a lot, even though it is half again as large as the Signature class ships. And, yes, I have checked the RcL's board but didn't find anything. Admittedly, didn't check all 20+ pages, however.

Not on Silversea. They did have the medical questionnaire we had to complete at the terminal with questions that obviously were focused on potential Norovirus symptoms but once on board not another mention. Yes, they did have hand sanitizer stations.

Like the others, we have not experienced it on either Princess or NCL.

In addition to which - as much as we enjoyed the cruise - we found hand sanitizer strangely hard to find on Princess. It was only out at their Lido and International Café. As a HAL veteran I asked about hand sanitizer on my way into the MDR the first night, and the host at the desk appeared quite insulted at my question.

No other cruise line (I've recently sailed Crystal, Windstar, Celebrity, RCI, Cunard, Carnival).

I did see a question about it on the big RCI thread (as well as the hand washing machines) so those are things I think other cruise line passengers are starting to ask about.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

As annoying as the practice might be, I think it really does help a bit. Yes salt shakers and menus aren't cleaned but the overwhelming majority go through the Lido and that would spread it very, very quickly.

I too have never experienced it on any other lines. I know Celebrity was internally floating the idea a year or so ago, though.

I am really glad that HAL is doing the Code Orange for the first 48 hrs. Shows some serious attitude towards trying to do everything possible to prevent the spread of the virus.

Not so sure that hand sanitizers do much good, but better than pax and crew not washing their hands.

Ports seem to be the big problem. We been on a lot of HAL cruises where the general warning goes out at certain ports or where the virus was actually picked up in a port. Not sure what HAL can do about this, but it is a problem.

No other cruise line (I've recently sailed Crystal, Windstar, Celebrity, RCI, Cunard, Carnival).

I did see a question about it on the big RCI thread (as well as the hand washing machines) so those are things I think other cruise line passengers are starting to ask about.

Roy

We saw two of the hand washing machines in Lido on Veendam. They actually were fun. :)

There was no "48 hour (or any hour) hands-off" procedure on NCL, Cunard, Carnival or Royal Caribbean. NCL and Cunard are huge proponents of hand sanitizer and are vociferous in encouraging hand sanitizing, albeit in vastly different styles. I had the impression Carnival and RCI weren't too interested in bothering about it.

We saw two of the hand washing machines in Lido on Veendam. They actually were fun. :)

Is really like to see the data on those. I didn't think they supplied much "friction." Unless there have been major changes it friction and slipperiness that cleans "bugs" off hands the best.

Ports seem to be the big problem. We been on a lot of HAL cruises where the general warning goes out at certain ports or where the virus was actually picked up in a port. Not sure what HAL can do about this, but it is a problem.

Last January one of the tour leaders on a HAL shorex told us their contract with HAL states they will not serve raw veggies to pax, therefore we got cooked veggies in place of the salad everyone who did not book with HAL got.

Never experienced it on RCI. Bet they might start it now, though. Really, all ships should do it.

Edited to add.... they are more diligent, though (in my experience) in making sure that everyone entering the Windjammer buffet got a squirt of santizer.

Edited by startwin

Edited to add.... they are more diligent, though (in my experience) in making sure that everyone entering the Windjammer buffet got a squirt of santizer.

Good to hear that! On my one RCI cruise (Sovereign ot S, 4/07) there were few dispensers around, many of them were broken or empty, and they were unattended. I think about one passenger in 10 stopped to try to use one. And yet we didn't seem to hear about Noro as much back then.

On the second day I saw a woman in the Windjammer drop a self-serving spoon on the floor and just pick it up and put in back in the tray. We never went back there again.

Edited by jtl513